• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Lol I'm not complaining or being entitled. I helped lol. It finished at a reasonable time considering the entrants. But, we know it could improve which is awesome considering the time. No biggie to me.

My only beef is with CHALLONGE. That was the reason for the delays imo.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Tell us what and why and we can try to solve it together.
This isn't aimed at anyone in particular btw. It's just answers or explanations as to why things happened.

1. Let's start with the food. If you don't like the prices, SHUT THE FUKC UP and don't buy it (this is a life lesson btw). The venue owner refused to honor a signed contract and so he raised prices to obscene levels. What am I gonna do? Lol Nothing. It's the day of the event and I have much more important things to do than worry about stupid people spending 2.50$ on skitties. People seriously need to put down smash and re-evaluate life if they are upset by this. Learn to bring a packed lunch, learn to eat breakfast/lunch before the event. Learn to give cash or a card to a friend to go get you food if you are scared of being DQ. At some ****ing point, you need to take responsibility. GAT DAM.

2. Whether it's huge numbers or small numbers, every smash 4 event I've done runs late or runs to time. This RARELY happened in brawl (a far slower game), even when I had 90+ people with only 15 setups. After this event, I now know why.

It's challonge. Challonge is missing the key feature to tell me WHAT tvs are taken, WHICH tvs are open and for HOW LONG they have been open or been used. Tio does all of these things. But since my city ranking system is built 100% around challonge and not all challonge brackets can be translated into Tio files, that is why I have not dropped challonge. I need to find a way to translate challonge to Tio.

Not only did that^ cause setups to remain open for long periods of time, there were many other issues too. Things like synced controllers screwing with as many as 5 setups at once. So then those 5 players go to another 5 setups (and don't tell me about it) so that's 10 unusable setups. So then the next 5 players I call go to tvs that are already taken. I then use TLOC tourney assistant (sucks really bad) or ask other players to run and write down which setups are free. By the time I fill those, more become open but half of them don't get reported. There is more stuff to mention (like players entering melee and PM and smash 4 or setups magically not having adapters all of the sudden) but really, I feel most of all this garbage could be fixed with Tio. I just need to figure out how to translate our ranking into to.

3. This event ended at 1am as planned and/or scheduled. We literally finished a 209 man bracket and a 61 team bracket by 1am. This is honestly really good. For those of you ******** about waiting 2-4 hours for a match.....BOO HOO. 209 people want to play smash. Sorry if I don't call all your matches in a row, Princess. The event doesn't revolve around you. Did you know that I called names and repeated the exact same sentences for 15 hours? I signed up for TOing and anything that comes with it. Same for you when you go to an event. Learn patience or bring a book to read.

4. Adjustments will be made. No more wireless controllers (I will make exceptions), no more side games, a few rule changes (2 stage bans, FSS method will be in play) and I am trying to find a way to have people pay online so that brackets will be done ahead of time.

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Agree with you on Challonge. I'm not a TO and even I know it SUCKS WANG. Maybe we should try RT's method in having both bracket programs open?

Also cmon, I'm sure you can understand why people are upset about the food pricing lol. Not saying it's you (because it obviously isn't), but DeAngelo needs to sort that out. I adjusted and went to Whataburger (although lack of food scheduled food break hurt some people).

I had an idea for wireless controllers. At sign ups, you should ask which controller they use. If it's wireless, write their name down. This will dwindle it down to 30 or less players I believe (generous estimate). Keep track of TV usage of matches. First wireless interference = 1 announced warning. Any warning after that = automatic DQ for person who is caught (using the list and TIO tv usage). Thoughts?

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
100% agree with the food thing. The venue is awesome but we didnt need them for food. There was GREAT locations nearby. We passed almost all of my favorite fast food places within 5 minutes of the venue. I found the food issue to be more hilarious than problematic, but I do feel for people that expected to spend all day at the venue.

Is the venue willing to just allow outside food and not waste time/money on chefs?

When it comes to rules and wireless controllers, you need to step up and address the issue head on BEFORE the event. I offered to print out copies of the rules for an event once and you said "people should read the rules beforehand, i dont need copies of the ruleset". You can't be that way when it comes to event advertised across so many sites and word of mouth. Not everyone is a hardcore player meticulously remembering the rules for every event they go to. Some guy tried to counterpick me to pilotwings.

Wireless controllers. Most people don't understand exactly how they work. Even YOU didn't know how syncing and unsyncing worked when I spoke to you so it should be clear to you that people playing at home with Wii U Pro and Wiimote aren't experts on how things go when there are 30 Wii Us and a dozen wiis in the same room. Right before bracket started, when you called people over to the front, you should have also explained how to unsync controllers.

Wii U pros present a new problem that people aren't used to because you can't remove the battery. But there are solutions. Insomnia has a system in place for the problem so check up on that. For events as large as yours, Razer's idea could be integrated.

Johning about challonge can only get you so far. If there were a couple of setups not in use, I can understand not knowing, but you had 10+ setups not in use and some of them were visible from where you were sitting. Even when people were running out to write down which setups were not in use, I did not hear more than 1 or 2 matches called out in response. You really don't need TIO to solve this problem as more admins/staff connected to challonge solves the problem on its own.

You all really tightened up and pulled through along the way and DID finish on time, but I'm just pointing out how you can make it more enjoyable for attendees. You had people forfeiting out of winners to go home. The way DQing was being done halfway through the event seemed more like an emotional response than procedural. You should be 100% willing to DQ from round 1 winners all the way into top 8 so you don't wind up having to spend 15 minutes DQing people 30 seconds after finding out they are missing.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Xyro, I can agree with you about the food issue and you can be mad towards the regular members of the community, but it wouldn't fair to any young newcomers who only brought some limited amount of money for food after hearing about food being at the venue, then finding out the most they can buy is a can of soda and a bag of Gushers.

And these newcomers may not know anyone else there and sure the hell wouldn't be prepared ahead of time to bring own food (which we couldn't do anyways because we couldn't bring outside food per the rule despite PAYING FOR THE VENUE, this seriously bothers me about any venue we pay to use). So telling us to bring our own food ahead of time but then telling us we can't bring outside food is a clear contradiction. And eating food before the event is fine...but if you can go 12+ hours without eating or drinking something during a tournament and think you'll feel fine, you're lying.

So I guess those new players can **** off then. Not the kind of attitude a newcomer wants to hear from a TO at their first tourney...

But whatever, it's done and gone. I hope this doesn't happen again. I don't blame you Xyro, but hopefully you will consider this grievance at any future tourneys/venues. You can get mad with the regular crew, but don't disappoint the newbies.

Last edited:

Nike.

Smash Hero
Damn, I wish the SA thread had reading material as good as Houstons.

The experience was different for me. I had a blast, but I didn't enter smash4 and instead entered Melee and poison melee. Rest of my night was stress free, went out and got some food and headache medicine and then was able to cheer on the rest of SA.

idk, I had a blast lol.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld

The experience was different for me. I had a blast, but I didn't enter smash4 and instead entered Melee and poison melee. Rest of my night was stress free, went out and got some food and headache medicine and then was able to cheer on the rest of SA.

idk, I had a blast lol.
Someone said they marth dittoed you...?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162

idk, I had a blast lol.
We get bored a lot.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Honestly, just ban the pro controller. At least Wiimotes can take out their batteries. Now if the Wiimote users forget...

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Can't you just have a Wii U sync station that Pro Controllers can sync to after their match?

Xyro77

100% agree with the food thing. The venue is awesome but we didnt need them for food. There was GREAT locations nearby. We passed almost all of my favorite fast food places within 5 minutes of the venue. I found the food issue to be more hilarious than problematic, but I do feel for people that expected to spend all day at the venue.

Is the venue willing to just allow outside food and not waste time/money on chefs?
The dude can make 15k per day off of weddings. No way a smash tournament can bring him that kind of money. Thats why im almost certain he decided to raise prices the day of as well as not allow people to bring in outside food/drink. Its messed up but i understand it.

When it comes to rules and wireless controllers, you need to step up and address the issue head on BEFORE the event. I offered to print out copies of the rules for an event once and you said "people should read the rules beforehand, i dont need copies of the ruleset". You can't be that way when it comes to event advertised across so many sites and word of mouth. Not everyone is a hardcore player meticulously remembering the rules for every event they go to. Some guy tried to counterpick me to pilotwings.
Before the event or during the event, people do not listen. Banning them is the only option that will fix this. As i said, i will make exceptions for people like you who dont cause issues with wiimotes.

Wireless controllers. Most people don't understand exactly how they work. Even YOU didn't know how syncing and unsyncing worked when I spoke to you so it should be clear to you that people playing at home with Wii U Pro and Wiimote aren't experts on how things go when there are 30 Wii Us and a dozen wiis in the same room. Right before bracket started, when you called people over to the front, you should have also explained how to unsync controllers.
or i can ban them and there will be no need to waste time syncing/desyncing/learning about wireless controllers.

Wii U pros present a new problem that people aren't used to because you can't remove the battery. But there are solutions. Insomnia has a system in place for the problem so check up on that. For events as large as yours, Razer's idea could be integrated.
or ban them.

Johning about challonge can only get you so far. If there were a couple of setups not in use, I can understand not knowing, but you had 10+ setups not in use and some of them were visible from where you were sitting. Even when people were running out to write down which setups were not in use, I did not hear more than 1 or 2 matches called out in response. You really don't need TIO to solve this problem as more admins/staff connected to challonge solves the problem on its own.
your hearing is bad/you dont use tio/challonge/run events and i covered all the rest.

You all really tightened up and pulled through along the way and DID finish on time
#iAmLegend

You had people forfeiting out of winners to go home.
The generation of today lacks both patience and and empathy but if full of entitlement. You paid to get into an all-day event. You will be called eventually and the event will end on time. The issue is that the entitled player didn't want to wait more than HE felt HE should wait. My events do not revolve around those types of people so i think its best that they stay home and play wifi were they can have a match on command.

The way DQing was being done halfway through the event seemed more like an emotional response than procedural. You should be 100% willing to DQ from round 1 winners all the way into top 8 so you don't wind up having to spend 15 minutes DQing people 30 seconds after finding out they are missing.
Dude, you literally ***** about me not DQing people and finally when i do you then make up some sort of "no no that was a EMOTIONAL DQ that doesnt count you gotta do PROCEDURAL DQs.'' I am tempted to ask "Tesh, are you serious" but i know that you are so im just gonna disregard your complaint on DQing. Its gone from stupid to FUKCING stupid.

Xyro77

Can't you just have a Wii U sync station that Pro Controllers can sync to after their match?
People literally go to a tournament without reading the rules

People literally go to tournaments and say "oh i saw you post 7 times about TGC this month" (most of which include a line about bringing set-ups) and then turn around and say "wait, i needed to bring a set-up?!?!?!?"

People literally stand in line trying to register and when they say they bought the venue fee online they also say "oh i don't have a receipt." What type of moron doesn't keep proof of purchase? It not like you bought a burger or something meaningless to where you can throw away the receipt with minimum consequence. You literally need proof to get into the venue to compete in a game and you think its OK to not bring proof?

People literally stand in line and spend 5min looking for the receipt in their pocket/backpack after ive told them 3-5 times over the microphone to "have your receipt ready."

People literally go to a tournament without bringing food or eating food before they attend.

People literally see over 200 entrants for ONE game and then ***** about how they cant play their matches quickly.

People literally hear over 20 announcements about "please unsync your controller from a wiiu/take out your batteries" and still forget/refuse to unsync.

People literally think it is ok to LEAVE the venue without telling the person WHO IS CALLING YOUR MATCHES and then complain that they get DQed.

off the topic of smash but still relevant to my point: we, as people, have to include "rewards" for people who turn off their cell phone during a movie. WTF?!?!?!?!!?!? Food/drink businesses have to protect (legally) themselves by putting a "warning, this is hot" label on a drink called HOT coffee......HOLY F

So, no flip, no. You cant tell people to sync a controller to a dedicated WiiU station. People are as STUPID as a steaming pile of dog S***. The things i listed above^ are so basic its nearly "common sense" level and yet these kids cant do it. Asking them to sync/unsync controllers is the same as asking them to recite the Magna Carta. This is just another example as to why i don't let PEOPLE choose anything when it comes to smash related stuff. Instead, you TELL them how it is going to be. You do it by banning wireless controllers and and only allowing those who have 1% of their brain activated to use wireless controllers.

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Apparently Insomnias tournament this weekend is capped already. They started a wait list, but its not gonna hold many players.

Xyro77

I may not be able to go to insomnia even though i registered 2 days ago. If this turns out true, I am selling my spot. Start biding.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Good idea, but it becomes a "is it worth the extra effort?" scenario. I wonder how EVO is going to handle this, since they are allowing Pro Controllers...

I may not be able to go to insomnia even though i registered 2 days ago. If this turns out true, I am selling my spot. Start biding.
It's bidding, ya damn neckbeard.

I bid a bag of rocks.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I feel insulted you rejected my bag of rocks. **** you.

Oni•n

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Onion546714
3DS FC
5129-2796-7326
People literally go to a tournament without reading the rules

People literally go to tournaments and say "oh i saw you post 7 times about TGC this month" (most of which include a line about bringing set-ups) and then turn around and say "wait, i needed to bring a set-up?!?!?!?"

People literally stand in line trying to register and when they say they bought the venue fee online they also say "oh i don't have a receipt." What type of moron doesn't keep proof of purchase? It not like you bought a burger or something meaningless to where you can throw away the receipt with minimum consequence. You literally need proof to get into the venue to compete in a game and you think its OK to not bring proof?

People literally stand in line and spend 5min looking for the receipt in their pocket/backpack after ive told them 3-5 times over the microphone to "have your receipt ready."

People literally go to a tournament without bringing food or eating food before they attend.

People literally see over 200 entrants for ONE game and then ***** about how they cant play their matches quickly.

People literally hear over 20 announcements about "please unsync your controller from a wiiu/take out your batteries" and still forget/refuse to unsync.

People literally think it is ok to LEAVE the venue without telling the person WHO IS CALLING YOUR MATCHES and then complain that they get DQed.

off the topic of smash but still relevant to my point: we, as people, have to include "rewards" for people who turn off their cell phone during a movie. WTF?!?!?!?!!?!? Food/drink businesses have to protect (legally) themselves by putting a "warning, this is hot" label on a drink called HOT coffee......HOLY F

So, no flip, no. You cant tell people to sync a controller to a dedicated WiiU station. People are as STUPID as a steaming pile of dog S***. The things i listed above^ are so basic its nearly "common sense" level and these kids cant do it. Asking them to sync/unsync controllers is the same as asking them to recite the Magna Carta. This is why you dont let PEOPLE choose anything. You tell them how it is. You do it by banning wireless controllers and and only allowing those who have 1% of their brain activated to use wireless controllers.
Lol. I agree. It's pretty sad when a 10 year old has better common sense than half the people in the venue.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
So the highest bid is currently a bag of rocks.

Just as planned.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Xyro may be you are the one lacking some empathy here.

People payed for an all day venue, but they didn't pay to spend 10 hours waiting for round 1 winners while simultaneously being scared to play friendlies. There weren't even matches going on for them to cheer for their friends.

I'm not selfish enough to drop the issue on wireless controller just because I'd be safe. People like me aren't a problem because we have experience. Think of the young kid that only plays wifi at home for practice. He might not understand that sticking the controller in his bag after a match can cause a problem.

Hell adapters are still in short supply, I still don't have one and I know if I played alone most of the time I wouldn't have any interest in one. So now I would have to buy more stuff and learn a new controller so I can play.

My only point about DQing is that you shouldn't avoid DQing so much at the beginning that you get backed up and start having to panic DQ people far quicker than whats fair. Once again, if matches had been called more quickly you wouldn't have that situation. Blame the players, or a website, or a program or whatever you want, but you are the legendary TO here and if these issues happen repeatedly I'd expect you to have a solution, not johns.

Another suggestion I have for you is attempt starting singles earlier. Doubles ended at 6 PM, but less than 10% of people were involved around 4PM. No need to have 180 wait while your top seeds camp each other to death on 1 setup.

Trela Why is "Brad Pit" better than Toon Link?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I look forward to fighting all the Mii Brawlers and other crazy custom moves like DK's UpB.

*never travels outside Houston except for maybe San Antonio*

Last edited:

gamma1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lokighsh
I will murder all of you with DK cyclone and Hurricane Punch.

I WILL HAVE THE LAST LAUGH. HOO HAA!

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I miss the days where people thought Falcon was bad.

Last edited:

Trela

Smash Lord
I believe it is without customs, but who knows.

Their tier list just proves once again why nobody should have their own list this early in the metagame.

First Shulk was one of the worst in the game.......now Robin is?

Literally, who is you?

As for the post about EVO.......I'm not even sure where to start.

Xyro77

Xyro may be you are the one lacking some empathy here

People payed for an all day venue, but they didn't pay to spend 10 hours waiting for round 1 winners while simultaneously being scared to play friendlies. There weren't even matches going on for them to cheer for their friends.
I am a player and TO so ive had my fair share of waiting obscene amounts of time. So empathy is something ive always had. however, common sense and patience trumps all of that.

I'm not selfish enough to drop the issue on wireless controller just because I'd be safe. People like me aren't a problem because we have experience. Think of the young kid that only plays wifi at home for practice. He might not understand that sticking the controller in his bag after a match can cause a problem.
Instead of explaining to little kid about what synced controllers do while being in a bag and then to have him not remember or not listen to me......its best i ban the controller.

Hell adapters are still in short supply, I still don't have one and I know if I played alone most of the time I wouldn't have any interest in one. So now I would have to buy more stuff and learn a new controller so I can play.
Infinite supply of mayflash adapters exist. get one.

My only point about DQing is that you shouldn't avoid DQing so much at the beginning that you get backed up and start having to panic DQ people far quicker than whats fair. Once again, if matches had been called more quickly you wouldn't have that situation. Blame the players, or a website, or a program or whatever you want, but you are the legendary TO here and if these issues happen repeatedly I'd expect you to have a solution, not johns.
again, you have no idea what you are talking about. you dont know what it takes to run tournaments of any scale.

so we have "emotional dq" "procedural dq" and now a "panic dq." wanna make up anything else? maybe "savage dq?"

Another suggestion I have for you is attempt starting singles earlier. Doubles ended at 6 PM, but less than 10% of people were involved around 4PM. No need to have 180 wait while your top seeds camp each other to death on 1 setup.
the event ended on time. my method did fine. challonge needs to be replaced.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
maybe "savage dq?"
I want this at the next TGC.

"I heard Trela got savage DQ'd."
"A what now."
"Savage DQ'd."