• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I assume ATX is Austin TX weekly and some people came to TGC and left with a bad impression.

And the tourney overall was great, I had a blast. But there were some visible problems that should be addressed. No one is blaming Xyro (at least I'm not) since a lot of it was beyond his control, BUT they still need to be addressed to prevent them from occurring again. Stop the source of the problem.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Yeah I think it's just a few people who didn't do well, didn't show up early and didn't have patience. I can't help that.

Also, have any of you ever hosted a 209 man event? No. Hell, I even finished the event on time. So to those who ***** and moan, take a step back, shut up and be thankful i host events for you. You complainers are impatient and need to take your entitled selves and maybe stay home. Or better yet, why dont you get off your ass and help me if you think you can do better?

Last edited:

Xyro77

Onion, seriously stop liking every post. I know you are doing this for no reason. "like" a post if you agree with it or truly like it. dont "like" it just because the button is there.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
If I host a tourney, can I call it Hobo 12 Redux?

Oni•n

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Onion546714
3DS FC
5129-2796-7326
Onion, seriously stop liking every post. I know you are doing this for no reason. "like" a post if you agree with it or truly like it. dont "like" it just because the button is there.
Aw man. You're no fun... Grumpy old man...

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I think it's just a few people who didn't do well, didn't show up early and didn't have patience. I can't help that.

Also, have any of you ever hosted a 209 man event? No. Hell, I even finished the event on time. So to those who ***** and moan, take a step back, shut up and be thankful i host events for you. You complainers are impatient and need to take your entitled selves and maybe stay home. Or better yet, why dont you get off your *** and help me if you think you can do better?
From what I heard they were displeased you stopped the tourney to have your MM with Onion and that it held up the tournament. They also considered you having a cap for your tournies if you want to run 3 stocks. Plus some other stuff like setups being open etc...But I do agree with you in saying that people should be greatful for all that you do for the smash scene in TX. The tourney had 209 entrants ffs...

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
It didn't hold up that much, and I think there were others calling matches.

3 stocks has nothing to do with the cap if 209 entrant tourney finished by 1 AM. If anything, the delays just proved that 3 stocks 200+ could be finished hours earlier. Tournament could of been done by 11 pm or earlier tbh.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
That's what you said about the last FG and we barely made it out in time for Roadhouse.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
It didn't hold up that much, and I think there were others calling matches.

3 stocks has nothing to do with the cap if 209 entrant tourney finished by 1 AM. If anything, the delays just proved that 3 stocks 200+ could be finished hours earlier. Tournament could of been done by 11 pm or earlier tbh.
Things moved as slow/fast as they were with Xyro at the desk. The tournament didn't "stop" for him money match.

3 Stock is fine. despite some nasty campy **** i saw (grand finals of dubs ending in a game 9 timeout, anything involving BC) Most time lost was outside of the game so I see no problem.

Xyro77

From what I heard they were displeased you stopped the tourney to have your MM with Onion and that it held up the tournament. They also considered you having a cap for your tournies if you want to run 3 stocks. Plus some other stuff like setups being open etc...But I do agree with you in saying that people should be greatful for all that you do for the smash scene in TX. The tourney had 209 entrants ffs...
I didn't stop the tournament for a 12min MM. Matches were still being called. I had Alex or razer or RT run matches or do other TO stuff when i was busy and even Devin ran some matches before he stayed on the stream to make sure it was functioning right. I ended a 209 man event ON TIME with 3 stocks 7min timer. I did just fine. I guess Austin is use to low turnout events than end fast.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Tournament could of been done by 11 pm or earlier tbh.
Ive dropped all of my side games, gonna use the program FlipHop or RT found to help fix challonge and i have banned wireless controllers.

these should help speed up events^

I really dont wanna cap. My events are doing things i never could in brawl. I REALLY dont wanna cap that, you know?

The only other thing i can do top help speed up events (without butchering rules) is use paypal for online sign ups but if i have more than 200 transactions go to my account, the IRS will want me to pay taxes on all of that. I refuse to OWE the government money due to a tournament.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I can vouch, matches were still being called during the MM. Now, if people chose to watch a MM instead of playing their assigned matches, sounds like grounds for a DQ...

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Ive dropped all of my side games, gonna use the program FlipHop or RT found to help fix challonge and i have banned wireless controllers.

these should help speed up events^

I really dont wanna cap. My events are doing things i never could in brawl. I REALLY dont wanna cap that, you know?

The only other thing i can do top help speed up events (without butchering rules) is use paypal for online sign ups but if i have more than 200 transactions go to my account, the IRS will want me to pay taxes on all of that. I refuse to OWE the government money due to a tournament.
signups seemed surprisingly fine this time. I hit the venue around 11 and it wasnt the disgusting mess we saw at zuma, 2 hour line going those stairs, it was hell on earth.

You wont need a cap if you push away all the players that dont agree with you thats for sure. Hell banning wireless controllers already loses you one of Houston's finest.

Xyro77

signups seemed surprisingly fine this time. I hit the venue around 11 and it wasnt the disgusting mess we saw at zuma, 2 hour line going those stairs, it was hell on earth.

You wont need a cap if you push away all the players that dont agree with you thats for sure. Hell banning wireless controllers already loses you one of Houston's finest.
I said I'd make exceptions to the rule for the wireless users like yourself. Meaning, the ones who have been here and proven time and time again to not be an issue with their wireless controller. I've already edited my rule page to reflect this change.

There is not a guaranteed way to prevent wireless controllers from being an issue unless everybody is like you or if i ban them like MLG.

Off topic, but seriously, watch the new/final avengers trailer. Holy F! Ultron's voice is so good.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Why not just allow wireless controller for anyone that speaks to you ahead of time. Hell let me handle it. I'll explain the ins and outs to them and I'll be able to catch (and kill) anyone who causes a problem.

No one is going to **** up once they have had it explained to them a couple of times. Doing the right thing becomes part of muscle memory. After I shake hands after a set, I immediately take my batteries out.

Also you should be aware that the mayflash adapters have already been known to be lower quality. They lag, drop inputs and fail completely at random times.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Even normal adaptors do that too...I remember on the livestream setup Gnes vs Jerm both their controllers were acting up as they were starting their match. Think it's partly the game partly the adaptor

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Yeah, this reminds me of an incident with a Minecraft Con. I am skeptical until more details are available.

Trela

Smash Lord
I await the day a national appears with, at the very least, 3 stocks.

Customs or not, 3 or 5 or 7 starter stages, lots of counterpicks or only a few, 7 or 8 minute timer, I would still consider it.

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure I don't speak for every smasher in Austin. I'm just relaying what I heard at the weekly.

By the way what is the most popular day for meetups at Syncs? I can't really play smash on weekends, but I'm free on a couple of weekdays. Just want to get se practice in other than wifi...

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I await the day a national appears with, at the very least, 3 stocks.

Customs or not, 3 or 5 or 7 starter stages, lots of counterpicks or only a few, 7 or 8 minute timer, I would still consider it.
I hope there is a surprise patch the day before this national and it makes Diddy better somehow.

That would be...great. :)

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It'll happen eventually, and it will be amusing.

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
3 stocks or 2 stocks. It doesn't matter. There were 209 ****ing people at the tournament. A nationally sized tourney ran in 1 day and finished mostly on time. I think everyone who is ******** about that should seriously reevaluate things they say. Had fun at tgc, didn't play but tried to help as much as I could. Really not feeling smash 4 anymore but I'll still run tournaments for it as long as they have turnout and everything.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Link's dair offstage is so amazing in this game. I played against BC's Villager and it's very effective against his ledge camping. Hit a balloon or Lloyd? No prob, the bounce from hitting those things gets Villager on second bounce.

Also I can't believe I didn't pull bombs offstage until recently. Saved me from BC's Villager gimp attempts a few times. I was able to take a game off of him. Karna, we need to run our match back now. GGs all who went last night.

Last edited:
Top Bottom