• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Can't you just recreate a challonge bracket and TIO and have it play out the same way if duplicating is needed?

Well, nike uses some kind of program for San Antonio's rankings. And big benefit is that he has like everyone in the scene listed. Kind of gives you something to weigh yourself against when you aren't top 10.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Can't you just recreate a challonge bracket and TIO and have it play out the same way if duplicating is needed?

Well, nike uses some kind of program for San Antonio's rankings. And big benefit is that he has like everyone in the scene listed. Kind of gives you something to weigh yourself against when you aren't top 10.
Ive tried to translate challonge brackets into Tio brackets but pretty much anything after an 8 man tournament gets skewed during the transfer. I then asked on twitter and a dev said tio and challonge send players to loser bracket in different ways.

I dont know what nike uses or else id prob use that.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
That feel when you can't make top 10.
Who the hell are you, you're not top 10, ya nobody. Wahahahahahahahaha.

I am so old.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Page not found Challonge.

But I will go and guess it's because how they handle placing people in losers bracket. TIO does it so that you can play different people on the opposite sides of the bracket. I'm sure its related to bracket theory, but I don't know.

Also, USA lost to Africa, what the ****????

Xyro77

@Tesh @ Teshie U Teshie U

ok ill try again.

Here is the Challong link: http://challonge.com/TioVSChallonge

Here is the tio file:
tio.gif

if you look at both file's winner side, everything appears to be 1:1 ratio. But once you get to the loser side of the bracket, it all gets messy. Challonge sends losers to the loser side much different than Tio does.

edit: just talked to Nike. They are dropping their current PR system and going to Zac's old way. Ill prob do the same.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Yea, I got what you were talking about. I guess you need to find another program. Weighting only tournament size is kind of silly.

I guess this is the benefit of a panel. Despite bias, you can inject some common sense beyond pure math.

If we are going to have a PR, we should be aiming to make it as effective as possible for people that care.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Dumb question, both were seeded the same through their respective programs, right?

Last edited:

Xyro77

Yea, I got what you were talking about. I guess you need to find another program. Weighting only tournament size is kind of silly.

I guess this is the benefit of a panel. Despite bias, you can inject some common sense beyond pure math.

If we are going to have a PR, we should be aiming to make it as effective as possible for people that care.
I think ill go back to tio. yeah we lose live brackets but i can post updated images as the event progresses. Since our PR has been updated, its a perfect time to drop the old system and use another.

Dumb question, both were seeded the same through their respective programs, right?
yes.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I think ill go back to tio. yeah we lose live brackets but i can post updated images as the event progresses. Since our PR has been updated, its a perfect time to drop the old system and use another.

yes.
Whatever if overall best for actually running the tournament. PR should be an afterthought.

Xyro77

So this is the program i wanna switch to. We used it in Brawl. http://smashboards.com/threads/official-texas-power-rankings-updated-june-15-2012.226443/

I just thought of a new problem.

TGC will be the only event in Houston that uses Tio. the rest still stick to challonge. And since i cannot transfer challonge to tio, @Krebs and @ alex mora alex mora and @Insomnia events wont be able to carry over.

edit: or i could use tio for running events and then do a panel and have people judge based off of challoge/tio brackets. its not a state ranking so the bias should be pretty low. ideas?

Last edited:

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Hm, I have to see an example of it. I don't think I saw brackets posted that way before.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Don't worry, pretty much everyone carted against him at least once. I didn't, but only because I learned his movement quick and didn't overextend.

I like to also think he's there to subtlety teach you the value of upgrading your armor for better defense ASAP and a test to see if you really understand the game basics (are you healing/sharpening correctly, do you understand blindspots, do you understand monster tells, etc.) Considering he is also a Low Rank urgent in Gathering Hall as well, he is pretty much the barrier to the next level of tutorials. His Shaggy Maggy form is easier ironically.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Since that one is actually High Rank despite it being a Low-Rank quest, he is there to test do you understand not to overextend and do you know how to dodge correctly. He is also a prelude to G-rank, because G-rank is clutch time. Everything before G-rank is training mode.

I will probably try him this weekend, want to finish up more Caravan/Gathering Hall and get S.Zinogre armor, if possible. Precious Evasion+Focus...I...NEED...THIS..

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It's late high-rank armor sadly, and he doesn't appear until HR6. I know in 3U, it was a pretty good overall armor set for any weapon that charges. It's no worries, this game really encourages you to make more than one armor set for each rank until you get to G-rank and make clown suits with your best charms.

Last edited:

Trela

Smash Lord
edit: or i could use tio for running events and then do a panel and have people judge based off of challoge/tio brackets. its not a state ranking so the bias should be pretty low. ideas?
After seeing our recently updated PR, I ask that we please go back to the way it used to be.

Send out PMs to players you trust that can make you their own rankings. Giving them links to past tournaments with brackets like you said is also a good idea to me.

I'll admit, after top 3 the rest of the list gets difficult. I'm surprised Leaf and Gnes are not on the list though. Leaf's been placing very well recently from SA to Dallas to Houston and Gnes has been undercover like no other savage could ever hope to be. Hard to imagine there ever being a day when Gnes isn't even top 10 in Houston anymore when he's still playing. I watched over his matches with Dojo from SAM2 and knew that after game 1 of that set MLG was making a comeback.

On another note, Tesh told me that he tried to call and register for Insomnia tomorrow night, and he did so the day after TGC happened. They were already capped before he even called. I know you could say that it is the player's fault for not calling sooner and all, and that it's not the venue's fault for having a cap like this, but trying to attend a simple tournament here in Houston should NOT be this difficult. Our next real event is Fight Club at GameGuys on the 21st, but that's it for March. Nothing's lined up for April yet either. I used to believe that "burning out" our scene could potentially be a bad thing, but only ONE tournament? Didn't we use to have 3-4 events a month? And they only got bigger too.

After finding out that Insomnia had their registration filled up within a day, I discovered that these players here in Houston are THIRSTY, my n1gguh. I think we need more events again, PLEASE. As you can clearly see from this post, I'm DYING from dehydration. I literally considered going to DALLAS AGAIN this weekend because I can't enter Insomnia. It's definitely my fault for trying to go last minute, but OH MY LAWDY is our scene MASSIVE right now. Also reminds me of that one GameStop event with the 64-man cap as well. I forget the FIENDS that started lining up outside at what, 6am?

Stay strong, Trela......stay strong for mother.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You damn tryhard.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
The only problem with Zac's old program Tesh, was that it didn't account for inactivity, and that's something that can probably be easily added after the numbers are totaled up. :applejack:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Why wasn't I told BC was 1st in Houston and is known all across the globe for his slingshot actually shooting planets?
I beat a legend here.
I go by tournament results, not rumors.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
After seeing our recently updated PR, I ask that we please go back to the way it used to be.

Send out PMs to players you trust that can make you their own rankings. Giving them links to past tournaments with brackets like you said is also a good idea to me.

I'll admit, after top 3 the rest of the list gets difficult. I'm surprised Leaf and Gnes are not on the list though. Leaf's been placing very well recently from SA to Dallas to Houston and Gnes has been undercover like no other savage could ever hope to be. Hard to imagine there ever being a day when Gnes isn't even top 10 in Houston anymore when he's still playing. I watched over his matches with Dojo from SAM2 and knew that after game 1 of that set MLG was making a comeback.

On another note, Tesh told me that he tried to call and register for Insomnia tomorrow night, and he did so the day after TGC happened. They were already capped before he even called. I know you could say that it is the player's fault for not calling sooner and all, and that it's not the venue's fault for having a cap like this, but trying to attend a simple tournament here in Houston should NOT be this difficult. Our next real event is Fight Club at GameGuys on the 21st, but that's it for March. Nothing's lined up for April yet either. I used to believe that "burning out" our scene could potentially be a bad thing, but only ONE tournament? Didn't we use to have 3-4 events a month? And they only got bigger too.

After finding out that Insomnia had their registration filled up within a day, I discovered that these players here in Houston are THIRSTY, my n1gguh. I think we need more events again, PLEASE. As you can clearly see from this post, I'm DYING from dehydration. I literally considered going to DALLAS AGAIN this weekend because I can't enter Insomnia. It's definitely my fault for trying to go last minute, but OH MY LAWDY is our scene MASSIVE right now. Also reminds me of that one GameStop event with the 64-man cap as well. I forget the FIENDS that started lining up outside at what, 6am?

Stay strong, Trela......stay strong for mother.
current tier list ignores out of city performance, so taking travelling and taking names out of city is 100% irrelevant, while placing at insomnia or for glory makes you look godlike.

i dont think activity needs to be accounted for. you can manually remove roy r, dmg , samboner etc. from your PR if you havent seen them in half a year.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Does this mean leprosy?

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Why am I skeptical about BC being involved in anything resembling a "combo".

Top Bottom