• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Xyro, if Tio helps you run tournaments more efficiently, I say go for it. Losing live brackets is not that big of a deal, especially if you can just Tweet round by round. There will inevitably be tournaments sticking to Challonge (its still a very good bracket for small scale tourneys) anyways, no need to feel pressured to stick to one. TGC might be too big for Challonge to handle properly.

After seeing our recently updated PR, I ask that we please go back to the way it used to be.

Send out PMs to players you trust that can make you their own rankings. Giving them links to past tournaments with brackets like you said is also a good idea to me.

I'll admit, after top 3 the rest of the list gets difficult. I'm surprised Leaf and Gnes are not on the list though. Leaf's been placing very well recently from SA to Dallas to Houston and Gnes has been undercover like no other savage could ever hope to be. Hard to imagine there ever being a day when Gnes isn't even top 10 in Houston anymore when he's still playing. I watched over his matches with Dojo from SAM2 and knew that after game 1 of that set MLG was making a comeback.

On another note, Tesh told me that he tried to call and register for Insomnia tomorrow night, and he did so the day after TGC happened. They were already capped before he even called. I know you could say that it is the player's fault for not calling sooner and all, and that it's not the venue's fault for having a cap like this, but trying to attend a simple tournament here in Houston should NOT be this difficult. Our next real event is Fight Club at GameGuys on the 21st, but that's it for March. Nothing's lined up for April yet either. I used to believe that "burning out" our scene could potentially be a bad thing, but only ONE tournament? Didn't we use to have 3-4 events a month? And they only got bigger too.

After finding out that Insomnia had their registration filled up within a day, I discovered that these players here in Houston are THIRSTY, my n1gguh. I think we need more events again, PLEASE. As you can clearly see from this post, I'm DYING from dehydration. I literally considered going to DALLAS AGAIN this weekend because I can't enter Insomnia. It's definitely my fault for trying to go last minute, but OH MY LAWDY is our scene MASSIVE right now. Also reminds me of that one GameStop event with the 64-man cap as well. I forget the FIENDS that started lining up outside at what, 6am?

Stay strong, Trela......stay strong for mother.
This x10. I wish we had a weekly on par with Shockwave (Dallas), League of Shadows (San Antonio), or even Dragon's Lair (Austin). Those events average around 30-40 people and are growing, imagine what Houston would bring? Instead we have little weeklies scattered all over the city. The demand for those is pretty strong as well, a last minute tournament (3 day notice) I went to in Katy, gathered 15 people like nothing. I would be so down for a more centralized Houston based weekly series.

As for burning people out, that remains to be seen. You could argue that in Brawl, people started getting burned out because the game in general was declining. Weeklies shouldn't really be that big of a commitment anyway, so players shouldn't feel pressured to go. Low venue fee, minimal entry fee ($5 max for a weekly) not counting in PR, and keeping events simple (like singles only) would help.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Weeklies have proven to reduce growth at monthlies aka the events that matter.

Nike, I see that ****! I will respond when I get home.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Dallas weeklies have grown to the size of Houston/San Antonio monthlies.

Their weeklies have BECOME the tournaments that matter.

If there is demand, run tournaments. When that demand is gone, slow down.

Weeklies in a fresh game like this aren't burning anyone out but those doomed to quit after a few events anyway. Some people may get discouraged faster because they play more matches more often and see things they cant handle/dont like so they fall off or quit.

For those of us not quitting, it just helps people progress faster. San Antonio and Dallas are much stronger overall and I credit the weekly tournament experience to that.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
You ran 3 tournaments in half a year. Those aren't monthlies.

Shockwaves have gotten 60+ and been larger than For Glory, SAM and other tournaments that are actual monthlies.

Not trying to convince YOU to run something obviously. Just trying to debunk your myth so newer TOs dont get discouraged from even trying.

Xyro77

You ran 3 tournaments in half a year. Those aren't monthlies.

Shockwaves have gotten 60+ and been larger than For Glory, SAM and other tournaments that are actual monthlies.

Not trying to convince YOU to run something obviously. Just trying to debunk your myth so newer TOs dont get discouraged from even trying.

Do you actually know the statistics of Dallas weeklies? Slaps wrote it all outon FB. No weeklie hit above 75 and neither have there monthlies. Which means there is no difference between the two. This isnt good. That means there is no incentive to grow or choose between the two. Players feel like "well i cant make this week, cool, ill go next week." When a scene has a care-free attitude, they scene has no motivation to be good.

In brawl, MANY MANY MANY scenes across the USA died because of weeklies. When the turnout was low and they stopped weeklies, it was too late. People were not tired of weeklies. They were tired of smash. This happened in Austin, Tx.

Devin and Alex are good TOs but do not have the exp or foresight to see this. Neither do you.

Also, my events are a little more than a month apart. That classifies as a monthly. I would know, i set dates.

Also, ill try to set up something for the 14th of March but no promises. Ill call 2 venues tomorrow after work. It would be like a TGC 1.5 or something. nothing major.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
There is nothing wrong with people getting sick of a game because they have many opportunities to play it. Keeping the scene " alive" by rationing out events doesn't make it any more enjoyable. If I'm gonna quit after 10 events, I'd rather that happen in 10 weeks than 10 months.

There is plenty of motivation to be good for weeklies.

You are on pace to run 6 events this year if you keep going as you are doing now. These aren't monthlies by any stretch. You had an event the very end of february and at the very end of april. Thats 2 months, not 1.

As Trela said, your top players are hungry and we will get our fix elsewhere if we have to. Just giving you the heads up as a friend that you can get our business Mr. Legendary TO of maximum foresight.

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
Tesh is actually making a lot of sense.

Of course Xyro sounds like he's not but that is only because no one can understand his infinite wisdom.

Xyro77

Tesh is actually making a lot of sense.

Of course Xyro sounds like he's not but that is only because no one can understand his infinite wisdom.
ive learned over the years that players are here to use events/smash until they are done with them and then they will bail. The game, the tournaments, the players....they get old after a while. So what makes more sense? 40 weeklies and have a burnt out scene on 40 monthlies and have a burnt out scene? The choice is simple. Having monthlies also encourages OOC/OOS travel. That is a good thing you know.

As i said before, ill try to do something on the 14th. no promises.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
You are looking at it all wrong Xyro. The players wants and needs are the scene. This is just leisure anyway. Its meant to be used up and thrown away. This game isn't something to artificially sustain for as long as possible. Enjoy it for as long as it is enjoyable, you don't need to "save some for later".

Xyro77

You are looking at it all wrong Xyro. The players wants and needs are the scene. This is just leisure anyway. Its meant to be used up and thrown away. This game isn't something to artificially sustain for as long as possible. Enjoy it for as long as it is enjoyable, you don't need to "save some for later".
and this is why i am the TO and you are not.

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
I understand the logic behind it, but the making sense part is very subjective and probably has some conflict of interest dynamic taking play.

Of course a TO will want to drag on the 40 events to maintain relevancy and keep the scene alive and of course the competitive player will want tournaments with quicker turnaround in order to speed up their level of play.

You guys just keep reiterating your talking points not realizing there are different end goals. (Maybe you realize the different means to end. Idk).

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Yea I get what both of you are saying. I just don't know how I feel about starving the scene like this game is your last bit of food on a deserted island.

So I guess I'll be spending 10 hours on the bus for San Antonio/Dallas weeklies very often.

Xyro77

Yea I get what both of you are saying. I just don't know how I feel about starving the scene like this game is your last bit of food on a deserted island.

So I guess I'll be spending 10 hours on the bus for San Antonio/Dallas weeklies very often.
People tend value water more when its hard to find. If its plentiful, they do the opposite.

Last edited:

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
Plus Xyro gets a hard on when his monthlies break attendance records and he gets to post in big green letters how he is the great ultimate lesbian TO and we must bow down to him.

Weeklies will only hurt the chances he gets to make those humble brags every 6 weeks :)

No shots fired. Just sayin' :143:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Plus Xyro gets a hard on when his monthlies break attendance records and he gets to post in big green letters how he is the great ultimate lesbian TO and we must bow down to him.

Weeklies will only hurt the chances he gets to make those humble brags every 6 weeks :)

No shots fired. Just sayin' :143:
In a way, he is doing what best for him as a TO, where I'm wanting whats best for me as a player.

And Xyro, I chose the starvation analogy for a reason. Its not water and its not food. You are advocating treating a luxury like its a precious limited resource we cant afford to use up.

Xyro77

And Xyro, I chose the starvation analogy for a reason. Its not water and its not food. You are advocating treating a luxury like its a precious limited resource we cant afford to use up.
Too much of a good thing is a bad thing. Wise words.

Trela

Smash Lord
I'm honestly not too fond of weeklies either, especially when there's TGC/For Glory/GameGuys/Insomnia as our monthlies.

March just has no TGC or For Glory (Melee and PM only now from my understanding), and you have to be on your stuff to get into Insomnia and sign-up as soon as they announce registration. Like, I'm salty for not being able to attend a tournament for once, it's weird. I had so much fun at SAM2 and TGC with finally sticking to my gut and staying all Robin throughout both tournaments. I feel like I'm seriously improving and getting more fired up again when it comes to Smash 4. I don't have to feel lost in certain match-ups anymore by figuring out which character I should go when I could be just playing Robin only and learning from there who my true main has trouble with, but not without giving those more difficult match-ups some time to work with Robin, as well.

I hope your tournament can work out next weekend, Allan. Hopefully magic happens and it gets pretty big being on such a short notice.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Even small tourneys can be fun, because we can all relax and be chill while (hopefully) having fun.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Oh well I guess this gives me more reason to travel OOC.
Anyone at that HG tourney going on right now? I know the guy running it, but I couldn't make it because of work. I will see some of you guys later at Insomnia.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
There'll probably be spots for you, I can't make it and neither can xyro

Top Bottom