• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I love you, Daylight Savings Time

BC.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
direprophecy
Fought the doubles teams that got 1st and 4th round one and two... Lucario tho

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Shaya, no I can't double fair :(
I just want the wiiu version already
Trust me xyro, just do DB1 -> Fair. It's virtually the same as short hop double forward air in just about everything but DB1 not sweeping down/below you as well as fair does (but as you'd be using it as the rising off the ground option, you can still reliably hit even shorter characters).

THE DOMINANCE IS BACK.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
That doesn't work in a short hop. You can fair to db1 tho. But its not as good as db to fair

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
Off the chain event! The Road to TGC 1 had a total of 150 players in attendance including spectators and competitors. I want to give a huge shoutout to everyone that attended and to the Nintendo rep for giving me prizes to give out to the players/champions. We made history with this event by setting the USA record with 73 entrants for smash. I want to give special shoutouts to all the champions, Bwett for recording and the photographer who did the media coverage. As a reminder, these 2 events are just preview events and will be adding fighting games to the lineup come Texas Gaming Championships 1. I really enjoyed myself yesterday meeting the new generation of players and chillin with the old school players. A new era has begun and look forward to seeing everyone at The Road to TGC 2, Dec 6. See you all soon!

Smash 4 3Ds Supreme Champion Trela. The evolution since: Play N Trade :004:/Hobo/Whobos:005: /TGC:006:

Mario Kart 8 Champions

Pokemon X & Y Champions

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Figured I'd mention, since I saw so many people saying that no custom moves were complete upgrades over their original move. Some characters actually do have some custom moves that are just a complete upgrade, like Pikachu's custom skull bash, and Yoshi's egg launch.

:059:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
yeah heavy skull bash is pretty much a complete buff (actually kills, but only at short range, but is faster? LOL)

But that's not a universal thing, and I suppose, in theory there is a draw back there, just not one that really applies to competitive play / optimal usages.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
So I was playing Razer last night. Kinda dumb how Morton is still in the "ledge" when doing his get-up attack. I was able to spike him while he did his get-up attack. lol

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I've seen dumber. I actually managed to grab a Little Mac during his KO Punch and even recorded it. It looked stupid and glitchy as hell.

Last edited:

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
You're able to grab him within the first few frames of the punch, almost immediately as he uses it. It'll stop the attack but usually sends you sliding back/off the stage without actually damaging you. I've seen it take a stock by doing it at high percents too lol. Yeah it's dumb.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
But no one is crazy enough to try to *grab* a Little Mac through KO Punch...except me I guess.

Also, do you mean the Mac doesn't take damage or the person who grabs? Because I still took the full damage and I think the Mac still took the 3% or whatever grab release damage.

Last edited:

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Of course not. The timing is super specific lol, and the probability of it happening has to be at least 1/25 chance. Why take the risk?

I meant the player who grabs. From what I've seen, it's a grab-break or whatever it's called, and the Mac doesn't get pummeled/damaged. The other player who initiated the grab doesn't receive any either but instead is blown back/off stage by windboxes from the move I guess you could call it? Maybe there is different variations of it that I'm unaware of. 3% doesnt mean much. I wouldn't look to much into it tbh. Just don't get KO'd. Lol.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'll go ahead and be "that guy."

Is the tier list based on how many tournaments you attend or weighted based on the skill/attendance size of the tournament? Because getting 1st, 2nd, or 3rd at TGC should have more weight than getting 1st at a bunch of locals with random seeding.

Edit: Nvm, I retract my question. Guess we'll see what happens soon enough.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I'll go ahead and be "that guy."

Is the tier list based on how many tournaments you attend or weighted based on the skill/attendance size of the tournament? Because getting 1st, 2nd, or 3rd at TGC should have more weight than getting 1st at a bunch of locals with random seeding.
MR RT I POLITELY REQUEST THAT YOU TO PUT ON YOUR READING GLASSES AND READ THE SECTION CALLED "HOUSTON TIER LIST'' ON THE FIRST PAGE OF THIS THREAD DOING SO WILL TELL YOU EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW WHICH INCLUDES THE ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTION PLEASE DONT EVER SPEAK TO ME AGAIN OK BYE THANKS HAVE A TASTY DAY

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
So the program doesn't take random seeding into account? Just curious.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Ah, so the program will have the same problems as well. What a shame. Glad to know those early tournaments with random seeding counted.

Last edited:

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
Future tourneys will go by seeding from now on. At the beginning it was be pointless to seed based off skill in Brawl or Melee. Everyone started with a clean slate.

Xyro77

RT, Alex is right.

And yeah, Alex, I can post a list of people who didn't make it. It's about 100 players long though. Did you want the next 5-10 or ALL of them?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Future tourneys will go by seeding from now on. At the beginning it was be pointless to seed based off skill in Brawl or Melee. Everyone started with a clean slate.
The only problem was that TGC already had some Houston players seeded as top before this list ever came out. And the fact that some players missed TGC or didn't go to any of the early tourneys really skews the list. Also, would going to Dallas this weekend mean I would miss a chance to get tier points for this weekend's tournament? Or are you expected to go to EVERY single Houston tournament?

But whatever, it is how it is. Same system, same flaws. And we all know how the Brawl PR went...

Last edited:

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
RT, Alex is right.

And yeah, Alex, I can post a list of people who didn't make it. It's about 100 players long though. Did you want the next 5-10 or ALL of them?
hmm if you could just link me a list of at least the top 30 that would be fine, it would help seeding for the tourney this weekend.

Xyro77

The only problem was that TGC already had some Houston players seeded as top before this list ever came out. And the fact that some players missed TGC or didn't go to any of the early tourneys really skews the list. Also, would going to Dallas this weekend mean I would miss a chance to get tier points for this weekend's tournament? Or are you expected to go to EVERY single Houston tournament?

But whatever, it is how it is. Same system, same flaws. And we all know how the Brawl PR went...
This program is a bit different. It's less "head to head" (Zac's previous system) and more overall performance.

Dallas or any other event outside of houston do not really count unless there is tie or very very close % between players in terms of seeding for local events. So not attending OOC/OOS won't hurt you on the houston PR too much. It may hurt you if you attend an OOC/OOS event though.

Also, yes at TGC, some houston players were seeded without a PR backing them. Instead, I used the two houston events (GFC/For Glory) results to do the seeding. So now when I do TGC 2, I'll go by PR first and then local results for players like Avoid/Nidak who are clearly good but not on the PR yet because they have not reached the minimum requirement to be on the PR.

If it matters to you, RT, you are 12 or 13th in Houston right now. I'm 10 away from LAST so like 90 out of 100.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You know I have never EVER cared about my personal placing, and anyone can back me up on this.

I do, however, care about accurate results for everyone else since I know some people do care. But the fact that OOC/OOC tourneys do not count and can hurt your ranking if a Houston tourney just happens to be on the same day just sounds wrong...but whatever.

It just feels like you should wait until after TGC 2 before putting a tier list up. The game is out for only a month and we have a tier list? Not even Brawl's Houston tier list came out this fast...hell, TGC 1 is the ONLY major tourney we've had so far.

Edit: Don't take these posts as me being resentful or mad, other people will share the same concerns. A good tier list is always hard to do.

Last edited:

Xyro77

The first year of tier list really don't matter in the grand scheme of things but we need some sort of measure to determine seeds. This is the least bias way possible.

Also, this is a Houston tier list built from houston results. A Tx tier list would include other city results.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Understood.

I think someone at TGC was sick and spread their disease around. I haven't been feeling good since this morning. Why would you do this...?

Oni•n

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Onion546714
3DS FC
5129-2796-7326
Add my friend code to the list please. My friend code is 5129-2796-7326
Also friend me on Facebook! My name is Michael Willis.

Last edited:

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
The first year of tier list really don't matter in the grand scheme of things but we need some sort of measure to determine seeds. This is the least bias way possible.

Also, this is a Houston tier list built from houston results. A Tx tier list would include other city results.
So in the case of next TGC, I wouldn't be seeded since I only attended one tournament and placed 3rd?

Xyro77

You would be considered better than

1. new gens (first time tournament players)
2. people who are not on the HTL

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Wait, you're going to make a special exception to Flip? Wouldn't that undermine the purpose of having a tier list for seeding?

You have to either have to follow through for everyone and give Flip a low seed since he didn't meet the requirements or wait for the next tier list. Anything else is special treatment and defeats the "no bias" part of the tier list for seeding (sorry Flip, still gotta earn TGC 12 like everyone else).

Last edited:
Top Bottom