• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
But I'm correct in assuming yours are run differently because you're going to make sure they're fresh?

You're not wrong, the old rulesets were stupid. But take into account what I'm saying for your tournaments, make them a community driven experience. If you have an idea that you honestly believe in, take your time explaining it to your consumer base, don't downplay other ideas but promote yours. Then, ask what people believe is best, and compare/improve your ideas. You're launching a series, more importantly a business venture. You can't neglect what other people think, and you have to be more positive with this stuff. You have executive authority, it's your tournament. But if you think the mass of Smash players are too dumb to have honest and good ideas too, then don't expect the business to succeed. Open channels and customer service are how you make it in business when the product isn't yours. This is Nintendo's product, you're the middle-man.
im not trying to sell anything. people will either go to my event or they wont. i will not bend over backwards like i did in brawl.

having said that, after each event, i'm gonna open up the floor (FB/SWF....etc) for suggestions about the next event. ill listen to the ones who actually went and participated. i feel their opinion would matter more. anybody can recommend XYZ from an armchair but the ones who went there and experienced it are the ones ill listen to.

ive admitted for years that my methods are not the best. but i can also admit that they work.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Well, like I said it's your tournament series. But you're planning for mediocrity and hoping for excellence.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
If you're still aiming to be the best with someone crappier/that will be used less, Marth's the way to go.

Or if you need training wheels still go with Masked Marth.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Tesh, the 5 games we played of PM, you lost 3. ill **** on you again if you like.

In brawl, yeah im sure ive lost some games (we all lose some) to you but that is SOME. I've been beating you for years. sonic, mario, rob...etc i beat it. again, if you want, ill do it again the next time i come over. its nothing for me.

and i do wanna win. i wanna win at being the best samus or winning low tier events.....and i do exactly that. my goals are different than yours and what you judge as "competitive" or "competition" or "truly not wanting to win"....etc.
You can be good at low tiers, thats fine. But its still just a side event where you can narrowly beat people who just practice a bad character for 1 week while you spend years on it.

Scrubs always tell themselves that the only kind of skill that matters is the ones they have. Striving to be the best of the worst is nearly the same as giving up. Its like being the best casual who can glide toss smart bombs on hyrule temple. Doing it that way might matter to you for some reason, but don't discredit competitive players as "lame" because they made a sacrifice or optimized a playstyle.

Attitudes like that hurt the community more than Apex (a series that did find ways to make a positive out of negatives at times). You make being good seem like its genuinely a bad thing, just because you aren't willing to be good.

Tesh

Smash Hero
And I'm sure somewhere, there is a Ganondorf main that thinks Samus users are lame.

Also, Lucina and Marth are boring. At least pick a cool mage/hybrid sword user like Robin or Shulk. Worried you won't be able to shine among the hundreds of others trying harder with that character? I dare you to pick up a viable character in Smash 4 and actually be good in STANDARD tournament play.

Xyro77

I don't have the time or urge to compete with the billions of shulk/robin users. There will always be someone clawing at you trying to pass you up.

I can def handle a few marth/lucina kids. Especially if these chars end up not too good.

Last edited:

Xyro77

ZS looks cool and can go green but I don't have too much interest in her.

Black marth or Tharja colored Lucina seems good IMOIMO

Last edited:

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Just putting this out there. Xyro has let people vote on rulesets in the past. It usually wound up split 50/50. Proof that the community doesn't really know what it wants or what's best for it.

:059:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Just remember this thread's motto:

In Smis We Trust

Sync.

Smash Champion
This game is awesome :)

I will be the best player, being the best of one character won't be enough in this game. You need to learn multiple characters to really be able to be an all out threat in such a seemingly character diverse game. Robin, Villager and some other characters interest me (Sheik, Greninja, ZS, Lucina, Lucario and Pit/Dark Pit).

Anyway, aside from my tryhard post, everyone feel free to come over on Friday after the release to get some practice :) I took off for it so you guys should too! Is there any other dates I should take off work for tournies/smash?

Xyro77

Unless there is a MK, yeah u need at least 2 chars to be the "best player."

Melee and brawl proves that. Go for it. Razer is waiting!!!!!

Im looking at December 6th as another event for 3ds (or WiiU if it's out). Are finals/mid terms going on then? If not, reserve that day.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Nov 1st is a trial run
Dec 6th will prob be the 2nd trial run
Jan is Apex so I won't do anything
Feb is the first official TGC event

Placings/stats will still be gathered for the trial runs.

Last edited:

Sync.

Smash Champion
Oh cool, also if any of you are interested in VGC for Pokemon the Houston regional is Oct 10-12(regional event on Sunday the other two days are premier challenges for additional championship points) so if you want to get into that at all hit me or P4 up

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I've never harmed this game or you so yes please trust me.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaactually, you refused to go see a movie with me that one time and it scarred me mentally forever.

Now I spend my nights wondering why I was born only to ignored by Mrs. Smis. It hurts.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Lol we still hang out every time we are at syncs house. I even give you the front seat of my truck when we go places. I treat you good RT

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You used to shove me in das back of truck. Like some piece of luggage.

The past cannot be erased so easily. This panda is not very happy internally...and perhaps, never will be...

OH WELL

Last edited:

Nike.

Smash Hero
Hey Xyro, what kind of tvs you using? Basic HDTV with Hdmi, component cables, etc? I'm gonna be going on massive tv hunt in the next month but I'm curious what you were going with.

Xyro77

Hey Xyro, what kind of tvs you using? Basic HDTV with Hdmi, component cables, etc? I'm gonna be going on massive tv hunt in the next month but I'm curious what you were going with.
yes, exactly that^

I have a 23in and a 52in ill be bringing to events. I prefer HDMI btw but component will work too.

Last edited:

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
Hi,

Long time no see, old friends. Anyone have a demo code they'd be willing to drop on me?

Tesh

Smash Hero
^Dang dude you are late. We posted all our extras online 2 days ago.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
UH final exams occur December 11-17th. So I guess the 6th can work unless you want to have it the 13th with more exams or the 20th after exams.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I'm a Marth main. A marth with breasts is fine too.

But there may be a tad of hyperbole there, as nothing from Lucina thus far has been shown to be objectively better at all.
In fact I think the disparity will be really noticeable in this game, in a way it wouldn't be in Brawl. Marth's tipper smashes kills in this game. ACTUALLY kills at low percent with good DI. Marth is able to get a kill at 80% that Lucina cannot get until 130%+ combined with shieldbreaker able to one-shot shields and Smash attack maximum charge scaling being buffed, I think there will be a lot of disparities.

Yeah I need to see whether there are actual differences between them frame wise, because right now, Lucina having them would probably be justified. Custom specials may also have some differences that favour her? Not sure.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
United in mid-tier.

Top Bottom