• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
customs dont count
placement within a tier doesnt matter when i made my list. there is no way we can get that accurate this early.
yoshi is good
F you

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Dangit Slush, stop underselling Yoshi.

He has dumb priority on a lot of his moves coupled with a lot of disjointed moves where his head or feet are invincible. His hurtbox is ******** during a lot of his moves. And he has good power. His kill options might be suspect, but he can definitely get a DownB or jab->Usmash the moment someone overextends. And Fsmash is usable, your board is wroooooooong...I think.

Yoshi is definitely high or near top, I just feel people aren't using him enough because of the weird stigmata of playing Yoshi, which I gladly ignore because this character is dumb.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The dumb priority moves is Nair and Jab, his biggest disjoint which thankfully they kept from brawl is Uair.
His only invincible moves is Usmash which lasts for 3 frames

And I mentioned his hitbubbles moving all over the place during his moves, thank goodness for that too.
DownB fishes are dangerous and only break shields if they held it for a second maybe or if any move that deals prolly 5-7% hits it
https://vine.co/v/O1UBmlOiee2

Oddly enough people still also never spotdodge the second hit of Down B, it boggles the mind when they shield the first hit and continue shielding or let go of it thinking they're safe.

If you think I'm bad by underselling Yoshi you should've seen how other yoshi mains reacted the first few weeks with him and absolutely foaming at the mouth in annoyance from people putting Yoshi at top 3 at the time, I think Yika is still on the train of thinking Yoshi is, if going by xyro's list, bottom of B tier.

Forgot, Not disagreeing with a few things you said RT, just pointing some things out in those statements but otherwise on paper it does seem good but where are the results?
Where the Yoshi mains.

Even japanese Yoshi mains are losing most of the time in their videos cause they get far enough but then lose to ZSS Rosalina sheik diddy etc.
Diddy A tier when people play the match up right.
Diddy F-tier when you respect him.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Which frames of Usmash are invincible? I know he can Usmash a Bomb-omb on a BF platform with the tip of the Usmash, so it is slightly disjointed or maybe it was the invincibility. I know the game considers him to be off the ground during a part of it, which goes with the ******** hurtboxes statement.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
In all honesty, what's holding link back? His projectiles are better and set up more traps since airdodging into the ground is bad, and ledge mechanics help his recovery. He's got good KO power and range, his grab has less cooldown, and no more chain grabs.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Is he really invincible during that time? I just think the game considers him jumping above the ground and his hitbox shrinks. Sort of how a lot of moves are considered to put you in a crouching stance.

Regardless, his head is invincible during part of his ending dash animation. I can't wait to see the ******** hurtboxes he has when the tools to view them are available.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The only invincible thing with Usmash is his feet.

Not too sure what you mean with Dash attack, he just crosses into the X or wutever axis so small things like falco laser as shown in the vine misses.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpYHCAQBJD4

Explain this.

The game had to have considered him to be both crouching and his head was invincible. This was one of the many moments I realized Yoshi is a dumb character. It's stupid when part of your character is invincible for doing nothing.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Some weird slide animation made the laser miss/ x axis again

I had an even better screenshot when you already stopped moving and the laser was next to him but it was 360p so I switched to 1080 and it wudn't let me.

Edit: oh wait, being able to make the video go faster or slower is a thing.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Aka, DUMB CHARACTER, TOP TIER PLZ, BAN PLZ.

You have to go Chrome to get reliable 1080p60fps. Google being lazy with the other browsers

Last edited:

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
In all honesty, what's holding link back? His projectiles are better and set up more traps since airdodging into the ground is bad, and ledge mechanics help his recovery. He's got good KO power and range, his grab has less cooldown, and no more chain grabs.
I think its cause he's the most neglected member of the original 12, being bad in all games (don't count PM) means he's underplayed by pro level players in this game. Sure there are plenty of Links on For Glory, but how many of them actually play smart and don't only spam projectiles/smashes? He also has tons of good ATs.

He's probably the best swordfighter in the game since he has range (I think its better than Marth/Lucina in this game), killing power, and projectiles to boot.

He's almost universally buffed since Brawl, except for losing his killing power with Dair, but his other moves got stronger to make up for it. I think in time he'll end up at least in C tier.

But I'm also biased. I main Link :)

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Link is good, but he has the negative stigma from the other Smash games and the good ole "Why play this character when x is better?"

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
the only dark pit that has any actual results is nairo, but he's also using pit as well because they are basically clones and interchangeable so he doesn't have to learn anything new. Both have their own strengths in certain MUs due to how their arrows and side b work, pit is slightly overall better I guess since he has a stronger ftilt for w/e that's worth, but in the end it's preference.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Pantyraider, what is your NNID?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Rosa/Fox are better than Sonic. :applejack:
Possibly. i'm not too hyped about sonic either at this moment (he just has easy anecdotal painful instances)
But there are more sonics putting in work than rosa and fox atm. Fox at least is structurally solid enough to be better overall, but the grab game difference doe.

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
and no faith in Marth ouchie. Pacman, Greninja, and Shulk look a little low

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Shulk Greninja fine where they at, most either those two can get is 1-4 placings higher, but otherwise still in the same tier.

Pac-man is way too low.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
"Crazed gamer shouting 'MAI MARF GOT NERFED' gets shot while trying to set video game on fire on White House lawn"

Love it.

Last edited:

Zori

Smash Champion
I am offering 1$ to each person who beats me in a 2/3 set online, a GRAND total of 5 whole $ are on the table! (Basically me losing to 5 DIFFERENT people)

If I do happen to win the set I don't want a dollar in return, rather you have to use my tag at the next TGC (friendlies included) If I catch you not using my tag then a dollar will be you're compensation :)

For those who are wondering what viable names count as my "tag" I have created a list for all viable names LOL

Zaurey Zoris Zoreh Zori. Zory Zorai Zoree Zorey Iroz Zorie Zohwe Zowe Zoue Z*ri Zoz Zowii Zoey Zori2.0 Zoar-e and Zor! Zorhay Zorette Zoilmar Zowee Zoray Zorah Zhore Zore Zowy Zuh-Ore-e Sori Zoweh Zowi Zorizard Z0ri Zorei Zorhe Z()r! Zowey Zorz Zorii Zorina Zoie Zoeri Gettas Z.ri Zowie Ziowii Zeowi Zhorey Zowwi Sorey Zor-ori Savage

I want to get better

so who's first ;)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Man Shaya you have Jr. pretty damn low
If Marth wins the match up, you're probably booty.

Shulk Greninja fine where they at, most either those two can get is 1-4 placings higher, but otherwise still in the same tier.

Pac-man is way too low.
I've personally had pretty good times dealing with most Pacmans, including Richbrown's, but I think with the patch/WiiU nerfs he really has nothing abusive and feels somewhat player vs mechanic rather than player vs player (I feel similar for bowser jr). I could be heavily underrating them both because they're just not seen around me much (less so for Pac) and when they have results there's a consistent undertone of 'lack of match up knowledge' often inferred with it by comment[ator]s.

mutha****a putting doc as 3rd worse. Looks like someone needs to be shown the truth.
Swap Marth for Doc then?

If marth is truly low tier, I will burn this game on OBAMA's lawn.
The truth is that every move he has is like -20 or worse on shield. Aerial mobility nerfed (we swapped with Ike) means he's kinda a rock in the air and hence cannot afford to whiff aerials for walling/spacing either. Down tilt is barely passable but can still be dash grabbed through by the likes of diddy and dash attacked by some.
We've gone through just about everything Marth has at this point (imo) and while there's obviously ways to be good with him yet to be explored, the tools are overall pretty bad rated by themselves, so I think match ups and whatnot are only going to get worse rather than better as people get their consistent punishes down that are already easy and free and then eventually learn the timing for power shielding them at their optimal spacings/heights (there's only 1 lol) to get even critical punishes that the character cannot recover from nor avoid.
But Fsmash tipper is pretty dope, so, like... who knows?

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Please translate this foriegn language.
Sonic matches end up on highly popular videos and streams. Sonic's match ups are notoriously 'boring' because they have consistent instances of them seen by a widespread audience. By most levels of players he's seen as very frustrating to play against it to boot, their bias' are being backed up by what they see.
I'm sure a Villager wanting to play for the time out as well would bode a similar response if there was actually more popularity for the character in singles (he's pretty monster in dubs).

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Man who the hell else switched their **** to Ike?
Ike switched weights with Yoshi, and now Marth switching air mobility with Ike.
What's next in Smash 5, taking sonic's speed?

Also if Young Link beats Jiggly in Melee, does that mean Jiggly is booty?

Last edited:
Top Bottom