• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Melee Thread

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
You know usually when you want to brag about someone you show a **** video of them or something...you know like how the rest of the smashboards community is doing with this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI4OhTsTcQo

And no one has a good enough Marth here in Houston to do it consistently to be scared off of FD
wow. melee skill level is horrible now days(in houston). ROFL, me and gabe did that **** ALL the time back in the day. Hell even seth was doing that type of stuff but with ROY.

Velox

Smash Ace
I would have figured you out Drew had we have played again. I was clearly messing up. Not that I think I would have beat u or anything but I'm good enough to give you good games unlike those ones.

btw, I'm not sure based on some of the responses people have made about Falco vs. Marth, but if any of you guys think Falco has an advantage against Marth on FD, your just wrong, heh, like I don't know how to make it any clearer.. It's not an even match up either, Falcos should dread going to FD vs. a Marth.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
I obviously need to play you again then....with Falco lol most of the time Falco has the advantage there unless the Marth is really that good and like I said there aren't that many who are good enough to scare anyone off of it.

Shiz isn't even scared of it fighting M2k.

When are the UH players going to play again? I want to jump in on this and prove that SanJac has better smashers

Velox

Smash Ace
What does playing me prove? I'm naturally very bad at this game. Hell, the good players at this game constantly make ******** comments as to how their good, this is sort of a tangent but I'm 100% positive that I'm right, but being good is often innate. Ask Mike Tyson why he's so good at boxing? Does he look like a smart guy to you? Do you really think he's knows the most about boxing? Would about his coach? Who's better? This is not a new idea, Socrates long ago noticed a similar things amongst talented figures in like any field. I'm not just saying this about physical activities, it's definitely in mental things like smash pretty rampant. Anybody who has played me knows that I should be better than how I place in tournament and constantly do they voice this to me, but it just never happened, I continued to lose and b**** to Sethlon and Gabe about it for over a year even though I continued to demonstrate that I knew more mind games and mental things than anyone else I played with. Sethlon really resisted this idea for a long time (the idea that being good is sometimes inexplicable), but I finally got him to see the light I think. I will never be good at this game, and you know, I still have fun with it, I accepted this idea long ago. Like I hate to break this idea to everyone, but seriously, just look at some of the players who are really good in this community and ask yourself, why are they so good? Question the authority, and don't be suprised when they tell u some nonsense about "oh, I just have good pressure" "oh, I just space real well" (btw, what "spacing" really is is often horribly misinterpreted btw..), when in actuality there were other reasons at foot as to why what they did was as effective as it was. Trust me, some players just have it, others just don't. That's why tournament play is a PERFORMANCE, and not a written exam or something with unlimited time, which could still be a performance, but you see what I'm saying. And certainly lots of good players like Azen are very informed about the game and certainly do know what they're doing, I'm not being overly critical, but, knowing the game does not necessarily mean you will be good at it, that's how it is.

What makes Ronnie beat Gabe? Do you really think it's because Ronnie is smarter or perhaps has a greater knowledge of the game (not that I'm actually comparing the two or think it's my place to do something like that, nor do I actually have any opinions on a subject like that, it's simply a pretty well constructed example)? Come on, Gabe showed Ronnie the competitive smash scene. There's other things at foot which nobody else can see except through the window of "wins" and "tournaments".

There's nothing I could possibly do to do better at this game, I've done everything, and that's just the way it is, I was unlucky. Although my tech skill is very good, I have terrible execution problems in tournament that have always plagued me (and really in friendlies too) other than just generally not being good at the game.

back on topic though, my opinion on Marth vs. Falco on FD is CERTAINLY close enough to the truth that the outrage at this is certainly unwarranted. Most people haven't even a clue at what methods Marth has available to him to avoid lasers anyway and are thereby unfit to comment. You see people like NEO do 10 things to get around lasers, and then this one match I watched with EK he had like.. jumping over them and that was it. In stead of talking about the chain grab there, which I think everyone knows is extremely gay and deadly, I think we should be talking about the root of the disagreement, and that's getting around lasers, and in this case I'd rather keep my knowledge to myself.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
You know how much of that I had to skip xD

And Falco just seems to be able to combo Marth well there Idky...I like it there vs Marth

But really...tell the UH guys to get together or something tomorrow because I want to play someone who isn't James Paul or Dawn <_<

Jake13

Smash Lord
that was a ridiculous argument.

falco wins on platform stages, marth on fd. with poke or yoshis being the most neutral.

DUH GUYS

srsly tho, so stoked for the tourney. we gotta have DOUBLES FIRST

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Cool story Velox.

Seriously though, I say you're right about that innate abilities. Ronnie is ridiculously good and he doesn't even own the game. He never plays, yet when I go to play him, he's just as good as he was months ago, if not better.

IT'S NOT FAIR I TELL YOU, NOT FAIR *cries*

OhMyGodItzMouf

Smash Journeyman
marth definitely has the advantage on fd. i need platforms to combo as falco, the chaingrab is rediculous, and to good players lasers aren't that big of a deal. houston doesn't like chaingrabbing for some reason though

i'm really really looking forward to this tourney...

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Dawn's Falco scares me off of FD but not really anyone else lol

But yeah most of the time I see Falco win on FD

I'm excited for this tournament

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
I'm excited for this tournament
Your not the only 1. Picked up the extra prizes that will be in the setup bags yesterday. You can just say that the prizes are sweeet. Also, bring as many setups as possible. It will help the tournaments run smooth and fast.:chuckle:

MASTER_VOID

Smash Journeyman
me and cesar,xzalla along with king mosquito played melee last week at oni-con,only a couple of people showed ups to play everyone else played super wack bros....good times though xzalla and me played this drunk dude from Louisiana in there hotel room funny stuff..........turned out to be pretty good seein that he was Wasted....thought he was a scrub but he put ups a good fight ^_^

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
me and cesar,xzalla along with king mosquito played melee last week at oni-con,only a couple of people showed ups to play everyone else played super wack bros....good times though xzalla and me played this drunk dude from Louisiana in there hotel room funny stuff..........turned out to be pretty good seein that he was Wasted....thought he was a scrub but he put ups a good fight ^_^
And I always wondered how come some players do "GREAT" when there on drugs (handle bars/crack/weed/etc). Doesnt make sense to me at all.:confused:

Velox

Smash Ace
it's totally not fair Clueless, I just accepted it long ago :/ Doesn't stop me from enjoying the "moments" I have though at this game :)

OhMyGodItzMouf

Smash Journeyman
i don't know a whole lot about smash, and i don't have a gamecube so i don't get too play too often and i don't watch videos but the main thing that has kept me in smash and kept me one of the best players here is i'm just really really competitive. i don't like losing in general and i don't like people being better than me at smash

Cesar(WTF!)

Smash Apprentice
:laugh: yeah too bad we had to go man or we would of had played more

i don't know a whole lot about smash, and i don't have a gamecube so i don't get too play too often and i don't watch videos but the main thing that has kept me in smash and kept me one of the best players here is i'm just really really competitive. i don't like losing in general and i don't like people being better than me at smash
so that means you don't like me james? :(

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
When it comes to uploading vids, I'm pretty unreliable during the school semester as you can see, haha. I've got finals week coming up too. I will TRY to find time today.

I'd do it now but it would take too long and I have to study for today's exam in a few minutes.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
If you gave me the actual video files, I would have no problem uploading them...

Sybawave

Smash Ace
What times does this thing start?

And we have crews lol

Dawn Mouf Clueless Syba SideEffect

VS

Timerbomb Roy_R Jake Oscar (and whoever they decide for this spot lol) Gabe/Bacn/some other guy?

Jake13

Smash Lord
ronnie isn't going :/ looks like yall are gonna have to get another person, or take tbomb from us

on a side note: I say we have a rock, paper, scissors tourney for a dollar. single elimination. get *****.

Timerbomb

Smash Apprentice
i'm comin after the SAT and lunch lol dont start too early

and anyone know if tarzan is coming to this or not?

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Ronnie isn't going. He texted me and said his dad had planned a surprise bday dinner for him tomorrow that he just found out about.

*Sigh*

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
I won't be there.

Going to Battle at the Border 3.

I haven't even played Melee since I last went to Houston.

Shoulda answered yo phone, I was there all of last weekend Jake!

BeBoBli

Smash Cadet
As some of you have heard I'm missing my GameCube. It was taken. It's black and the memory card has a cute dinosaur drawing on the top of it. It also says 'farts' on the "warranty void if sticker removed" sticker.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
no idea what happened to your cube. Did you look behind all the tv's? Did you ask them behind the desk if they had it there? Cuz someone took my little tv and that's where it was.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
You have his controller or my controller?

Who has my black controller? It has scratches on it and the joystick looks a little weird.

EDIT: I love how there were no shout outs

EDIT: I should've beaten James...I ***** him so hard the first match I don't even remember where/what characters we used and the round 2 I got hit by a car

OhMyGodItzMouf

Smash Journeyman
that's actually paul's controller, i forgot to give it back to him when he left

man we gotta do doubles BEFORE singles next time, nobody feels like doin doubles after all the hype's gone

Top Bottom