• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Melee Thread

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
I'm with Jake on coaching. Mid-match coaching is dumb as ****. Just imagine having a top level player sitting next to some average joe in pools calling out reads and telling him exactly what to do. Then it becomes more of a matter of if the player can follow instructions rather than actually out play the other guy.

EDIT: Also, me, Michael, and the guys may try to make it over to the fest on Friday. Can I get a when and where?

Sybawave

Smash Ace
I'm with Jake on coaching. Mid-match coaching is dumb as ****. Just imagine having a top level player sitting next to some average joe in pools calling out reads and telling him exactly what to do. Then it becomes more of a matter of if the player can follow instructions rather than actually out play the other guy.

EDIT: Also, me, Michael, and the guys may try to make it over to the fest on Friday. Can I get a when and where?
That's what it is. That's how it always has been. That's what I've had to deal with on numerous occasions. If you can't handle that then tough luck.

It's at UH in the room labeled "Underground something" which is on the bottom floor of the University Center. It starts at 8 it looks like since no one has said anything else.

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
I vaguely remember how to get there from the last IT, but can I get an address anyways?

Also, if you recognize the problem then why not try and fix it? Sure the feasibility of regulating that kind of thing on a broader scale is rather low, but it's worth a shot isn't it. If smash is going to be as competitive as we should try and limit things that skew the results, right? I see where you're coming from though.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
Mid-match coaching is dumb as ****. Just imagine having a top level player sitting next to some average joe in pools calling out reads and telling him exactly what to do.
But, Houston has no top level players. :troll:

Also if it matters, I think coaching is fine as long as you aren't being disruptive to the opponent. Also, actually being able to change your game mid-match is not easy regardless and is a good skill to develop. I've learned a lot and won a few hype matches due to coaching from good people, and even if their advice wasn't too useful, it definitely helped me keep a level head.

So in short, I think it's good both for learning to adapt and dealing with pressure.

EDIT: woops i just realized theres a distinction to be made, yeah coaching in between games is way better than mid-game.

Also, shoutouts to matt for smashing with me in socal :)

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Yeah, y'all mad MT_ quit the ****ing game <.<

Also, what Baka said is what I'm talking about. It's not only about what they're saying at that time. It's still up to the competitor to listen to what their coach is telling them. If you can't do it then you probably weren't going to win anyway. If you do win though, you deserved it.

Tennis finally started allowing on court coaching. More reason why we should do it.

Obsoleet

Smash Rookie
If you honestly think you need a coach for a match, then record yourself saying "Stop being a little *****." and just be responsible for your own game.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
xD If you want to play then just ask us =p we will play with you. Melee is forgiving. Unless you're off the stage and then you're just ****ed...bad analogy..Brawl is more forgiving..

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
xD If you want to play then just ask us =p we will play with you. Melee is forgiving. Unless you're off the stage and then you're just ****ed...bad analogy..Brawl is more forgiving..
unless MK has you off the stage, you're pretty much just as ****ed.

Diglob

Smash Cadet
Indeed, PJ. If you want to play Melee with us, then don't be shy about asking when the next Smashfest is so we can let you know.

Baka, the turnout for the Galveston tournament was pretty much what you'd expect from a Houston tournament. There were two random Galveston players, but they were pretty shy. I hope they don't get intimidated and decide to not show up at the next tourney down there. >__>;

The important part of the results went something like:

1) Oscar
2) Jake
3) Mouf
4) Luciano

And the rest of us can just go jump off a cliff.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
It's Saturday and Wednesday (tomorrow) at UH. We're going to be there at around 8 PM at the University Center on the bottom floor in the Underground University Center. Call me if you need more information. Or text me. Whatever. It's on the OP.

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
yoyo

uhuh

1-2, 1-2

Trying to get people who live by me to lay melee is hard. Almost as hard as getting to where you guys play on weekends without a car.

Uploaded some matches of me vs. pittsburgh players, including one of the lake. Hope to get more vids u soon. People should just come to tomball. there is so much to do! We have redneck bars. and urban cowboys. and melee.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
BanCaM (Chris? Is that you?)

you can't have all caps in a post. that said, you can put in one not cap and then put the rest in caps..

baka4moé

Smash Champion
no i have not been added to the facebook group. thats a shame really, houston melee is becoming more and more...distant. how are we gonna get new faces if smashboards is deserted =[ also using facebook for smash is weird.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Why should using fb for smash be weird?????
UT Smash Club has an fb group and its decently popular, we even advertise our **** on there.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
popular? what you talkin' about the last post was about a month ago.

and I think it is pretty weird, but I'm willing to go there to raise awareness!

garrR

Smash Apprentice
the facebook group chat feature is awesome. it's nice to be able to talk to everyone at once in real time.

:phone:

Top Bottom