• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hot Furry Footage: Lucario Video Thread

ZaloMonkada

Smash Cadet
Nice games, the fair -> asc -> grab in your first game vs sprawlerz was pretty innovative, never seen that before.

ZaloMonkada

Smash Cadet
You can tell Mr. R is a brawl player. He doesn't have amazing tech skill, his movement is simple and efficient, and his play relies on reading his opponent and mind games often. Very fun to watch the set!

Darkgun

Smash Journeyman
Gots me some more stream time at Infinity & Beyond! Could totally use a critique or two[hundred].
Oracle[Lucas] vs. Darkgun[Lucario]

---Notes---
On the matchup with Oracle's Lucas, at least, I felt like I had a much easier time in neutral. There wasn't anywhere near as much pressure for me to approach, and when I chose to, there was very little he seemed to do to deal with it. I feel like this was, in part, due to a lack of matchup knowledge on Oracle's part (though there is at least one Lucario I think he's played with somewhat regularly... assuming he was playing Lucario at the time.) Also, Lucas can be combo'd so ridiculously well, and I really think that was one of the reasons the match felt easier.
Tried to spend a bit more time this tournament focusing on movement in neutral, but I'm not honestly sure I managed to demonstrate a better performance in that area this time. I suppose I'll keep working on it.
The Johns: I misplaced all of my technical consistency before the tournament and found it at 2am playing a money match. A tear forms in my eye every time I see a followup that I missed in the video. :T

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Aw man, don't tell me you use Mint/Spring Green Lucario... The sadness is real.
Whaaa I like green :(. I was using the white/black one but I figured everyone would use that so I switched to green.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Yeah, I kinda thought about it and it made sense... I'll probably just go back to using Yellow. Green just looks real good on Lucario, haha.

That dropped combo though. :urg:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yeah, I kinda thought about it and it made sense... I'll probably just go back to using Yellow. Green just looks real good on Lucario, haha.

That dropped combo though. :urg:
I was so sad :(. I blame luigi being impossible to combo.

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
damn man your lucario has gotten stylish. i dig the BR ASCing and wall jumps. keep up the good stuff.

if you wanted any critiques the only things i noticed were stuff like rolling (which seemed to be working out ok for you) and sort of panic smashing, i guess? like at higher percentages, DA > fsmash or DA > dsmash which obviously wouldnt have hit. other than that your lucario has gotten really good really fast.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
@ Hylian Hylian Are you switching more towards lucario now?
I'm trying to make my lucario on the same level as my Link. I played lucario in every single tournament match this time even if I had to switch to Link(which only happened once before the two switches against Darkatma/Dart who are both amazing at PM)

damn man your lucario has gotten stylish. i dig the BR ASCing and wall jumps. keep up the good stuff.

if you wanted any critiques the only things i noticed were stuff like rolling (which seemed to be working out ok for you) and sort of panic smashing, i guess? like at higher percentages, DA > fsmash or DA > dsmash which obviously wouldnt have hit. other than that your lucario has gotten really good really fast.

I actually almost never roll with characters like Link, but roll on purpose a lot with lucario so I'm not worried about it being a habit or anything. His roll is so insane I think it's a really useful tool in neutral and it helps me way more than I get punished for it :p. At higher %'s DA -> Dsmash will connect if they DI up and DA -> fsmash will connect if they don't DI or DI away/up depending on character and %'s. Most of the times I missed those were because of wrong reads, I still need to learn %'s for those combos on all the characters, maybe I will just start ASC'ing at high %'s after DA or cancelling into down-b more for follow-ups.

Thanks a lot, I've put in a lot of work and that feels great to hear :p.

Last edited:

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, do any of you have doubles matches with Lucario? I would absolutely love to watch some of those! Lucario seems like he would be really good in doubles.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I have one recent one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRQnvyPQFvk

I play very support when teaming with metroid cause he's super aggressive, but Lucario can be played either aggressive in teams or support. I also think he's amazing in doubles.

Edit: I also have some more singles matches from the night before Travs when I was not super tired and hosting a tournament haha:

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxTvSYwU1mA
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAUAILTcGZI

First match of part 2 really shows off how useful/tricky crossup double team cancel into reverse fsmash is.

Last edited:

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
I have one recent one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRQnvyPQFvk

I play very support when teaming with metroid cause he's super aggressive, but Lucario can be played either aggressive in teams or support. I also think he's amazing in doubles.
I play Support because all of my friends play aggressive, but I agree, he's great for both. Also on your previous videos, I noticed that you never used Lucario's up tilt, although I've found it to be pretty good for starting aerial combos. It's easier to land than Up smash.

Last edit: I notice that a lot of Lucario players use Double Team after a down or forward smash. I think that it is really good to cancel it into an aura sphere because you can punish shield grabs and other things with it. You just wait to see how they react and you punish accordingly.

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I play Support because all of my friends play aggressive, but I agree, he's great for both. Also on your previous videos, I noticed that you never used Lucario's up tilt, although I've found it to be pretty good for starting aerial combos. It's easier to land than Up smash.
I do use uptilt quite a bit actually but tend to switch back and fourth between that and upsmash. I like upsmash because if they shield I can JC into dair on their shield and it's sick shield pressure and if they don't shield the follow-ups are still really good. I think utilt is kind of outclassed in that regard but it will hit some people where upsmash won't so it's good for that. Also edited above post with some more singles matches against SB/Metroid.

Last edited:

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
I do use uptilt quite a bit actually but tend to switch back and fourth between that and upsmash. I like upsmash because if they shield I can JC into dair on their shield and it's sick shield pressure and if they don't shield the follow-ups are still really good. I think utilt is kind of outclassed in that regard but it will hit some people where upsmash won't so it's good for that. Also edited above post with some more singles matches against SB/Metroid.
I feel like Up smash and Up tilt can be used in completely different situations. Up tilt to me is a great anti-air that doesn't put you in a bad spot if you whiff. It's less committal and better at lower percents. Double-team > Up tilt is a great and hard to react to anti air against character like Peach and Puff if you can read their float and jump respectively.

Up Smash is amazing for shield pressure, as you can cancel some of the hits with a jump and then an aerial which can do a lot of good to your opponent. At higher percents, up smash can connect to an up air or a neutral air since every hit except the last one has static knockback (I think).

My question is, how easy would it be for an opponent to react to an Up-smash > ASC> Grab? Kind of like a bad shine grab? The animations would definitely make it kind of confusing. Lastly, could you cancel the second/third/fourth hit of Up smash> ASC> Footstool? If you can successfully footstool your opponent, you can get all kinds of combos off since you can waveland into the ground and then connect with a jab> whatever silly stuff.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I actually think upsmash is less committal and combos better than utilt on most characters at low %'s because you can waveland backwards if you miss upsmash and you completely negate shielding and CCing with upsmash. Yes, raw utilt is less committal and better as an anti-air I agree but I don't really approach with it much when I could be safer, just a playstyle preference I guess. You don't need to ASC grab after upsmash on shield you can upsmash -> dair -> force palm and it works most of the time. Upsmash asc grab is pretty good too though. Dunno about footstool stuff.

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
Lucario is a lot about playstyle and has multiple good options, and they are better for different players depending on what they are good at and are trying to accomplish in the end. Lucario is sometimes like chess and has multiple moves that set up into something great or into another set up.

Risky

Smash Ace
I actually think upsmash is less committal and combos better than utilt on most characters at low %'s because you can waveland backwards if you miss upsmash and you completely negate shielding and CCing with upsmash. Yes, raw utilt is less committal and better as an anti-air I agree but I don't really approach with it much when I could be safer, just a playstyle preference I guess. You don't need to ASC grab after upsmash on shield you can upsmash -> dair -> force palm and it works most of the time. Upsmash asc grab is pretty good too though. Dunno about footstool stuff.
Usmash is pretty much Lucario's best combo linker. Leads to everything; more damage, stage control, kills, blows up CC, is really safe and hard to deal with on shield, multiple points you can cancel it, can waveland on whiff... so many good things about this attack. 1-2 hit Usmash -> ASC pops them and leads to whatever you can think of at all % since it has static knockback. If you have reactions you can charge the ASC if they're at kill % (extremely easy on fast fallers) FADC -> Ultra anyone?

Usmash -> Dair -> FP has its place, and Usmash -> ASC -> Grab also does. If you're inside of them while you Usmash, the ASC hitbox will hit shield or catch them if they stop shielding. The first option allows them to buffer rolls during Usmash safer and exposes you to all sorts of OOS options matchup depending. If you're quick enough and get grounded FP after the Dair it's a great kill setup with aura charge. I think in concept they're similar, but in practice you're trying to do very different things with these 2 setups. LUCARIO!!!

ZaloMonkada

Smash Cadet
My question is, how easy would it be for an opponent to react to an Up-smash > ASC> Grab? Kind of like a bad shine grab?
Usmash -> Dair -> FP has its place, and Usmash -> ASC -> Grab also does. If you're inside of them while you Usmash, the ASC hitbox will hit shield or catch them if they stop shielding. The first option allows them to buffer rolls during Usmash safer and exposes you to all sorts of OOS options matchup depending. If you're quick enough and get grounded FP after the Dair it's a great kill setup with aura charge. I think in concept they're similar, but in practice you're trying to do very different things with these 2 setups. LUCARIO!!!
If you Usmash -> asc -> grab, does that keep them in shield stun or hit them if they try to act oos?

Risky

Smash Ace
If you Usmash -> asc -> grab, does that keep them in shield stun or hit them if they try to act oos?
The ASC will hit them if you're close enough to them and they stop shielding. I'm not sure how much time they have between the ASC and the grab to act if they shield the ASC. A funny thing I've found is if you do anything into a CC'ing opponent and just charge Aura Sphere inside of their hitbox to full and shoot it they can't get their CC option out.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Last edited:

Risky

Smash Ace
My wall hopping practice has been paying off I recommend everyone learn this :p
If you couldn't have just Up-B'd to recover it would have been impressive. Still a useful tech if you're too far to recover with Up-B + Spot dodge, as it's the only way to actually live at that point.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
If you couldn't have just Up-B'd to recover it would have been impressive. Still a useful tech if you're too far to recover with Up-B + Spot dodge, as it's the only way to actually live at that point.
I could have..but then bowser would have just dtilted me or I would have been naired by mk. The wall hops were safer.

KhanYe

Smash Journeyman
The wall-hops are a good mixup/stall, but Risky's definitely right, it's a super punishable recovery if the opponent throws out any hitbox on the edge. I've gotten eaten coming up like that.

That being said, your Lucario's looking nice Hyli. =]

KhanYe

Smash Journeyman
Double post, I know, but I just hosted my first tournament in Dublin, Ireland. (Biggest Smash event in Irish history!) I have a couple of sets on stream, one of which I won, one I lost. The one I lost was purely to a lack of matchup knowledge for Game & Watch, but we ran a bunch of friendlies after and I figured it out pretty well. I'll be playing a lot this summer, so hopefully I can show some improvement. Also, we were playing on LEDs because of a lack of CRTs at the venue, so I was accidentally standing-force-palming and throwing out random forward tilts instead of dashing, which was kinda bad. BUT ENOUGH JOHNS, I'll take any and all critique. Harsher, the better. First time on stream, and hopefully it won't be the last.

http://www.twitch.tv/smashbrosni/c/4374301 KhanYe East (me) v. Aver

http://www.twitch.tv/smashbrosni/c/4374359 KhanYe East v. TheWorst

EDIT - There's also a set where I play one game with Lucario against a pretty damn good Pit player from Belfast. It's on that channel, but I switched to Mario after I got beat. I won't do that again ahhaha.

Last edited:

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
down b has short end lag. press jump after the end lag.

Top Bottom