• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hot Furry Footage: Lucario Video Thread

Risky

Smash Ace
Yes DA leads to anything, it's the first attack in his mechanic. As Lucario you should be able to convert off of almost any hit you get, it's how he's designed. Whether that conversion is just a tech chase after a knockdown or a legit OHC combo doesn't matter that much. Yes it's a good approach, probably his best one, but he has a lot of other options you should try to explore instead of centering your playstyle around that move. It would be similar to saying Fox should always be trying to Shine as an approach because it's his most versatile linker/combo starter.

"Yeah dash attack is pretty key in the approach, fair doesn't really give you anything at low percentages so not many other choices."

Aura Sphere, Throw, Fair, Dtilt, to a lesser extent Utilt, spaced Bair. These are options without charge. Not sure why you say that about his Fair, as it leads to FP, a 2nd aerial after you ASC, a throw after you ASC and FF, DT mixup, even Extreme Speed if you want. All of these naturally depend on spacing and matchup.

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
coughs dash attack sucks compared to all his other approach options coughs

coughs i still use it way too much........

Last edited:

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
Fair force palm? Please explain, so force palm as you're falling?
basically fair cancelled directly into force palm. can initiate a dunk if timed right and at the right percentage

Bane13

Smash Rookie
Dash jump rising fair > aFP works at certain percentages/heights if you're close enough when you fair and your opponent doesn't DI away...or if they're Bowser. The perfect height for this on most characters seems to be about the height of Battlefield's lower platforms. Experiment with it a bit.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Fair -> FP is inconsistent and doesn't lead to anything, it's a 2 hit situational combo..not very optimal. Just ASC'ing is much better when hitting with fair unless they are offstage and you have aura.

Yes there are other approach options but Lucario is a bit different in that he can compile his approach options and chose his follow-ups instantly through cancels rather than reacting to DI which means you have situational combos that are different from normal characters in that you are reacting to hitting a shield/them/specific spacing rather than DI in your initial string followed by the decision of a down-b cancel or an ASC(or just any movement cancel in general) to follow the DI and extend the combo. You can try approaching with other things that were mentioned but they are just ask risky as dash attack is with less reward. Obviously DA shouldn't be the only thing you approach with but I strongly believe it should be the thing you approach with the most, lucario players need to be very precise in their DD game and mix-ups to get optimal combos off their approaches which all basically require either jab or da initial hits without falling into a pattern that is easily adapted to. Yes, my opponent knows that I'm going to try and DA him, that doesn't mean I can't still connect with it and you are allowed this liberty more than other characters because you can react/cancel off their shield which is the most common counter to every other DA in the game.

Risky

Smash Ace
Fair -> FP leads to everything below ~43% since aFP doesn't knock down at that %, but leads to a tech chase if it does knock down.

If a player understands how to play against Lucario they will hardly ever shield. They'll crouch cancel and spot dodge all the time (especially if they're a spacie or character who naturally holds down all the time) and be exceptionally annoying. Fair is not as risky as DA, can easily lead to ASC -> Dair -> grounded FP because you're so close to the ground when you grab them -> whatever you want. Usually it leads to a DT behind them, since that's a generally safer option on shield or hit and avoids a shieldgrab.

I naturally DA a lot in my game as well, as I agree it leads to the most of Lucario's options the easiest. Lucario can convert on everything if you are creative enough.

Try SH Wavebouncing Aura Spheres. It's an absolute beast in neutral. Mix it up with SH AS cancels into wavelands without even shooting the projectile, many many options to still explore with this beautiful character.

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
I actually have something to say on this. I feel like Bair is Lucario's spacing move, and his best combo move at low percents, because I've more consistently gotten Bair>aFP than Fair>aFP and at percents up to like 40-50%. I think that since Lucario has trouble getting the kill against characters at higher percents, and dash attack doesn't directly cancel into anything really, DA>ASC> Run> Jump-canceled grab is really good, or ASC> Nair, stuff like that.

Also, Lucario can attempt to edgeguard pretty deep offstage. Fastfall Nair and cancel on hit into Up B is really good and can kill the opponents very early. Always do this against space animals, if they are using their Up B to recover. I really want to learn how to consistently get this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy-cQ0s0Bbw, because it would be a great edgeguard tool, especially against tethers no?

Also, a really good mixup instead of Smash Attack (Forward or Down or Up)> Double Team would be Smash Attack (Only Down or Forward)> Aura Sphere, trying to bait the shieldgrab/shield-drop/spotdodge and covering options from there. It has worked surprisingly well for me if the Forward Smash or Down Smash is well spaced.

Last edited:

Risky

Smash Ace
DA cancels into Usmash, which opens up a myriad of possibilities. It also leads to FP, Dtilt, DT shield pressure in general.

FF Nair is EXTREMELY risky, and if you whiff there's a great chance you're dead off the bottom depending on the stage, or in an extremely unfavorable position afterwards.

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
Try SH Wavebouncing Aura Spheres. It's an absolute beast in neutral. Mix it up with SH AS cancels into wavelands without even shooting the projectile, many many options to still explore with this beautiful character.
Can you link a video of a lucario doing this?

And what does ASC mean??

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn8G1ha2cqc
Frozen (Lucario) vs Vanguard (Lucario) $15 MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qx2h8pfl4Y
Frozen (Lucario) vs Glick (Kirby) Friendlies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQmivsRlxbI
Frozen (Lucario) vs Strong Bad (Wario) Friendlies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYoJt1JYexQ
Apex 2014 - Pool 21 Winner's Semis - CT Salem (Zelda) vs Frozen (Lucario)

Feel free to critique!

Edit: Added 2 more sets with Strong Bad and Salem
Great comeback against salem! That was fun to watch, I need to work on my patience and spacing with lucario after watching that

Risky

Smash Ace

And what does ASC mean??
No, I've never seen another Lucario do it aside from myself.

ASC means Aura Sphere Cancel. It refers to when you cancel a move into Aura Sphere (Neutral B) and immediately cancel it with L/R, saving a lot of the endlag frames of the move you canceled.

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185

And what does ASC mean??
denti does this when he plays lucario. there aren't any videos up that i know of, but there is a stream from a tourney we were both at where he played lucario in pools. he uses it quite a bit for movement and mix-ups
here is the entire stream. denti starts playing lucario around 3:58:00 or so.

also has good examples of ASC and its uses

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
i got some videos recorded at a tourney i was at over the weekend and would like some critique!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gKCaVFVs2Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHqADoZ3ft0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7f8cRg6TYs

things i know to work on: l cancelling, smarter DDing, ASCing, edge guarding. would obviously appreciate advice on these as well as anything else. i do play a lot better in friendlies because i get tourney nerves. also have little experience in the luigi and peach MUs u_u

Risky

Smash Ace
If you're having trouble figuring out what to do while edgeguarding, dtilt is a good place to start. It will hit most characters if they fail to sweetspot, has you auto cc'ing, and combos easily. Dairs right above the edge are decent too. The other stuff is tech you can practice.

I'll be going to a weekly with a stream tomorrow, I'll try to post the vids afterwards.

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
thanks, i'll try those out

gl at the weekly. rep the blue furry well!

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
I have this posted in the main discussion thread but I think itd be appropriate here as well.
I would love it if you guys could take some time and fill out this survey below. It is a survey for the MUs of Lucario, I would post the results after some time and we can hopefully talk more on where Lucario stands.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9PRZVMD

Risky

Smash Ace
I tried to fill that out to the best of my ability. I honestly haven't played against ~half the cast more than maybe once or twice. The matchups I didn't have experience on I left neutral (or if I have a solid understanding of how it would play out, I rated).

Lucario doesn't respond to pressure well because of his extremely small shield and lack of OOS options (generally crossing your fingers while you roll or spot dodge).

His other problem is his lack of range in the neutral against characters with swords or strong spacing tools. If they understand the properties of your projectile you can have few options to get in. That being said, once you do get in it's a huge problem for them.

D

Deleted member

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD0XRUbH8Aw&list=PLpGt6LANHJt3JgDW7jRHGHffQrdkfpN2W

Recordings from Friday (Mini tournament at my house). I cringed watching myself play. Critiques please!

I know that I really need to improve my neutral game. Considering that I played against characters that had projectiles much better than mine, I resorted to using dash attack a lot. I tend to cancel into down smash way too much, but I'm trying to improve upon that. I also need to use double team a lot more but my muscle memory doesn't really allow that. Also, I really need to use down throw more. Thoughts? Sorry that my games are scattered across.

Also subscribe :p

Last edited:

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
i watched a couple of your matches and will watch some more tomorrow but the main thing i saw was you sit in shield way too much. lucario's shield is downright awful and i know its tempting to just shield when threatened (i do it too often myself) but with lucario it is just a poor option in general.

Bane13

Smash Rookie
I'd have to agree with bec. Shielding seems like an awful option for Lucario 90% of the time. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten shield stabbed by the dumbest stuff at full shield...I can understand why they made it that bad, but really...

Besides that, try not to roll as much. Good players will catch on to the rolling habit and start punishing you for it (I know, because I still roll a lot, too lol)

I about cried when I saw Link's down-b completely cancel out aura bomb ;-;

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I really have been trying not to shield as much. It's just a barrage of projectiles are coming at me!! I personally think these two matchups aren't very good for Lucario, but that is just me whining and complaining :p

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
link is a terrible MU for lucario, and spacies are a biiit more even but you have to play on their terms or you'll get bopped. he has trouble dealing with projectiles because of how bad his approach options are, imo, and how bad his shield is.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqfk3gcTtBo&list=PLpGt6LANHJt1vJZxN_aFgJBWk3ffSRIHD

I'll have more videos up soon, but this was one of my better matches from Sunday. Thoughts and critiques please. I think I got a little bit better with the not shielding thing and following up on combos :D
Nice stuff! I was going to say make use of ASC, but you've already started using it by the last match; I saw upsmash to ASC, and the aura sphere actually hit. I think you should use upsmash out of shield. A few times Pit went above your Luc and attacked with dair. If you have your shield up, you should be able to punish after the attack is over with upsmash. Since you aren't using custom controls, you can use the tap jump method. I prefer clawing so I can press a jump button (X is what I use just for this move) so I can quickly flick the c-stick up right after. Also, I noticed you sometimes air dodge too soon after doing the specials to recover. You can left Luc drift a bit first to gain a little bit more distance. I recommend not throwing out smashes if they probably won't hit because Pit could shoot a few arrows at you.

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
Thought I'd share these with this thread. aMSa is definitely the best Lucario imo. or atleast the most fun to watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu76uY2FEyc aMSa(Lucario) vs Shippu(Pit)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M18eh8aYu4 aMSa(Lucario) vs Kaito(Lucas) GF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3R7AReGg-Q aMSa(Lucario) vs Opinthin(Ike)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu3CZqKdSRI aMSa(Lucario) vs Katiwari(Chraizard)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC1zArmnnVU aMSa(Lucario) vs Kaito(Lucas) WSF
Hey guys. How does amsa Down b onto the stage from ledge so fast?

Is that just a ledge hop down B?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M18eh8aYu4

at 13:58 for example

Darkgun

Smash Journeyman
Holy Pooh Bear I have something to post for a change. Critiques always welcome.
AeroLink[Toon Link] vs. Darkgun[Lucario]

---Personal post match notes---
Matchup specific: So hard to get in oh jeebus. As an effort for the next time I play a Tink, I need to actually deal with the boomerang, not just deal with it and ignore it. Bombs are not my friend, as opposed to what I seemed to believe this time, though I figure learning to consistently AGT would help in this match quite a bit, at least to get the bombs out of the way. Tink is also at that point, fall speed wise, where he feels like a FF, but is combo'd like a regular.
Lucario specific: Most of my beef with the play comes down to tech practice. I'm somewhat inconsistent with certain inputs and that it definitely hurting. Also, need to learn how to rASC during aerial combos to gain access to Bair for side blast zone KOs. And then... I have noticed that my play no longer features any ES during combos, and that is such a strong option that I really should look into it again.

Last edited:

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
First of all, I'm book-marking this, saving this, whatever, cause your combo game is brilliant. So good!

I didn't watch your first game cause you chose Final Destination... why...

I watched the second game, and while your combos are good, if you try and count how many full hops you did, you did one full hop to intercept a jump with a fair, three full hops to continue a combo, and zero full hops to evade any of the projectiles that he was throwing at you. Short hop double team is alright, but you really need to take advantage of the air space you get! Use the moving Smashville platform. Also buffer rolls when you feel like you need to extend or shorten the amount of space. Wavedash out of shield is also good. But work on your movement and learn to incorporate platforms into you movement game. Yeah. That's all I can say for now.

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
fair > fp doesnt work unless they have bad DI or they are a character with the correct weight and percentage, but it is still pretty beast and fun when it works. Plus when it misses half the time the fp hitbox still hits them further. :)

Darkgun

Smash Journeyman
nice combos! quick question. at 2:48. how were u able to up b -> nair -> up b again? Like... whats the rule regarding the ability to up B again after u cancel ur first up B?
When you connect with an Aerial,you and OHC to ES. This applies even after you already started ES in the air, and then ESC>nair'd. However, you must OHC else you will be unable to.

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
ohh so if the first ES is ohc'd. i can ES again if i meter to cancel it?

does the second ES have to be ohc'd as well?

Last edited:

Darkgun

Smash Journeyman
Technically, you don't even have to OHC into the first (though logically you still would), but you would have to OHC into the second.
So...
• [In air.] fair>ESC>fair>ES. This works.
• [In air.] fair>ESC>fair, then ES after fair ends. This would not work. You also would not be able to use ES again if you missed your opponent with the fair.

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
You can still send in your videos. Neph uses all kinds of clips in his non-character-specific videos as long as they're funny/cool enough and meet the requirements (no music, 480p or higher, etc.).
ooh cool. guess i better get some actual good recordings

Top Bottom