• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Honestly, it surprised me when I saw..

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
..That Rainbow Ride is not banned.

Not that I dislike it, it's just strange. With all that moving and the strong influence that the stage has on the fight I did expect it to be banned.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
It surprised me too. But the stage is the same every time, so I guess you can predict it. It does favor certain characters though. When I play my friend's MK in tourney style matches, I ban this if I lose as my loss stage strike so I don't have to play it. If you use characters like MK though, this stage is great... Then again, MK owns on every stage.

Jesusdragon737

Smash Cadet
Yes, there is much moving, but everything happens exactly the same way every time. Nothing is randomly going to blast you off the stage without warning, such as in Flatzone.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Nothing on Flat Zone 2 randomly blasts you off the level without warning. The hazards on Flat Zone 2 are only a pain when someone like Snake is camping behind them really.

Anyway, I think the principle of Rainbow Cruise being a legal stage is an important one. It's really different, but it's pretty fair. There's really no good reason to ban it unless you consider being obnoxious a reason. It's a good precedent to establish that being obnoxious is not ban worthy.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
lol I hate Rainbow Cruise...

I don't see how it's a CP either.

Delfino Plaza should be a neutral

Pleather

Smash Cadet
lol I hate Rainbow Cruise...

I don't see how it's a CP either.

Delfino Plaza should be a neutral
I think DP is too glitchy to be neutral, I've seen many a character fall through the stage.... Plus I just don't like DP in general. :p.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
lylat shouldn't be neutral because it screws up ganons dair without facing lag, as well as it screws with many characters who can do 2 aerials in one SH. Delfino shouldn't be neutral because you can go under the stage, which makes it particularly advantageous for characters like ness, peach, mk and a ton of others who cant abuse that aspect of it (since they dont have a strong enough recovery).

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
God I was just talking to Sky' about this!
I ****ING HATE THIS STAGE!
... I mean lets just all get in a group and be like: Hey guys is there any way for Meta Knight to get any better? Yeah there is! Lets not ban Rainbow Cruise!

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Rainbow cruise is the ultimate camping and running away stage.

Don't play a Meta Knight here.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
And this brings up the point of counterpicks...

It gives certain characters a big advantage while still not making it impossible to win for anyone else.
G&W absolutely ***** here because of his:
- steady ground game, possible D-tilt lock, platform game on part one (the ship)
- Great aerial game and ease of moving around with the stage while also fighting on part 2
- Absolutely ridiculous kills on part 3 and the ability to keep an opponent from transitioning to part 1 from part 3 with Uair

But even still, I have lost before on this stage and not even to somebody like MK. I have a clear advantage on the stage but can still be outplayed and beaten.
Nothing on the stage can kill you without the other player making it happen in the first place and it will always be the exact same no matter what.

And if you really want to see why this stage isn't banned play a Diddy Kong or Ice Climber on something like Final Destination and then take them here and see the result.
Counterpicking shouldn't be limited to practically neutral stages... That makes for a dry and boring game.

DeadlyRed3Dawg

Smash Rookie
Haha, if Rainbow cruise wasn't hard enough to combo and keep up with, Its a deadly playground of campy torture for gliding characters, especially meta knight and pit.

Pirate Goomba

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BackburningPyro
3DS FC
3969-6919-4080
Switch FC
2859 5488 3187
Well i think we can agree it has one of the best music ,Rainbow Roads.

2J94

Smash Cadet
I suppose it's not banned because you never really have to jump extremely high or anything, everything just moves a lot and you have to always be ready.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Wow it isn't banned?

I'm surprised, but I guess I can see why...there really aren't any stage hazards, it just moves and it's somewhat predictable.

Doesn't make me like the stage though.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Haha, if Rainbow cruise wasn't hard enough to combo and keep up with, Its a deadly playground of campy torture for gliding characters, especially meta knight and pit.
Being bad for Meta Knight is a reason I'd like to keep this stage legal.

Roihu

Smash Ace
So is it alright for me to be saying Mushroomy Kingdom I is also safe...?
Sure the blast lines may be so close and you can chaingrab someone to the-- oh...
Never mind.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Rainbow Cruise isn't so bad. The only walkoff is in the last section, and it's temporary, much like Isle Delfino's many walkoffs.

It just turns matches into aerial fights for the most part, and that's probably the very point of the stage being picked. Counterpicks are supposed to give the player an advantage; it's not like it's unwinnable for anyone.

I've personally never seen a match on Rainbow Cruise go to the timer, either.

Love to Hate Nightmare

Smash Rookie
Chu countered me and NEO there

I mean...

I think it should be banned because even in teams De De De can chain throw me for 70% per stock, mindlessly, and it's bull ****.

**** that map.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
If it's bad for Metaknight, think how bad it would be for characters like Link and Bowser....

Smash Ace
I hate Rainbow cruise. I'm with the OP here. I'm amazed that stupid stage isn't banned.

=2007=

Smash Master
Big Blue should be placed the same as Rainbow Cruise. What's the difference?

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
yes. let's ban a perfectly fine counterpick stage because we don't like it >_>

if you can not see why Big Blue is banned and Cruise isn't, you should be slapped >=[ lol no offense

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
but i really dont see why big blue was banned....

which upsets me even more cause mute city was one of my fav stages in melee and they complete gayed it over for brawl

Suoinegni

Smash Apprentice
Really? If you land on the road with any kind of lag, you're pretty much dead. Not even teching saves you unless you fall on the road waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to the right. I hate Big Blue.

But I don't mind Rainbow Cruise. It's actually one of my better stages.

Smash Master
I really don't see why Big Blue is banned and Cruise isn't. They're both non-random. They both have elements that can gimp characters with certain traits. What's the difference?

In Cruise, if you fall onto a part that dispeared while you were in the air, you die. What's the solution? To me, it's "don't do that (like landing on the road with lag)" To you, it's "Ban the stage"

Top Bottom