• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Home of the ROBSquad - R.O.B. Social Thread

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
@ Crome Crome I have a love/hate relationship with the ditto, lol... but I'd be happy to ditto you online sometime if you'd like.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
@ Crome Crome I have a love/hate relationship with the ditto, lol... but I'd be happy to ditto you online sometime if you'd like.
Sure, anytime after 4 is fine I think. How's your internet? I have an ethernet adapter.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Sounds great, I'll hit you up tomorrow. What time do you prefer?

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
I get off work at 5, home around 6. Usually take a nap after I get home/after dinner. Im available after 8 or 9 Eastern, so convert that to whatever time zone you're in.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I get off work at 5, home around 6. Usually take a nap after I get home/after dinner. Im available after 8 or 9 Eastern, so convert that to whatever time zone you're in.
I'm ready whenever, Ill add you

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
I'm ready whenever, Ill add you
Aighty, im home. Give me like... 10 minutes, and I'll join your room. My mii's name is Trion. Be wary, I haven't played wifi in nearly a month so it might take me a few to get into the swing of things. Also, Ive got time for like... 10 matches tops, providing our connection is good.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Good games, had a lot of fun. It's nice to know I'm not hopelessly behind the curve.

Do you have any tips for me?

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
@ Crome Crome Yeah, me too! Need to play again some time!

After about the 5th or 6th game, I toned it down a little so you could kinda feel your way through the MU a bit better, as I know it can be really hard to analyze situations when getting kinda overwhelmed. Plus, that gives me a bit more insight & ability to look w/ a "teaching" eye.

A few things I noticed:
  • You D-air a bit too much when up high. It hit like...four times out of the 10+ matches, and 2 of those was because I was blatantly greedy. Maybe a bit more. Its good at times as a momentum mix-up (as it stalls you out in the air for a moment), but be wary of your spacing when you use it as a U-air can beat it/it can be baited/flat-out beat.
  • Good reads on my ledge-jumps to net those 3 U-smash KOs.
  • Good use of D-smash (I need to use more of it myself) for the most part.
  • Rolling habits are a bit easy to see. Especially noticed you liked roll behind->d-smash. It was a good option vs. some of the stuff I did (me jabbing too many times, for example), but I noticed it more and more at bad times. It took me a bit to get adjustedto the timing on wifi to punish (as well as me changing up what I would normally punish with)
  • You seemed to get a better grasp of the Rock, Paper, Scissors mentality of the ditto.
  • Need to be a bit better with gyro traps, mixups, z-drop-aerial-catching in terms of creating stuff with it. Did a good job later on of using it at the edge, but need to get better at using it as a part of the neutral game/to set up for follow-ups/as a follow-up or string ender/ as a baiting option.
  • More U-tilt usage (sparingly, but there were a few instances where it would have been quite beneficial. I need to follow the same advice, tho... I dont use it near as much, nor my U-smash)
  • Did a decent job of reading my constant tech-in places (I was aware that I was teching in place often... just seeing how long you'd take to pick up on it & how you'd react), and a decent job of tech-chasing/punishing.
  • I noticed when you were behind, there was a lot of move forward->2x roll back. It should have been obvious that I wasn't going to take the bait (that often), and the punishment you received vs. the reward you got the few times I did take it was an unfavorable situation.
  • Good job of d-tilt>trip->gyro shoot on reaction. I feel you relied a bit too much on a punishable (offline) roll-behind to set it up (which isn't always bad). I needed more d-tilt, myself... mine kept coming out as jabs (mis-inputs on the c-stick hitting the "inbetween" that resulted in jabs).
  • Good job of taking trades when they presented themselves, when you were in an advantageous position (stock--wise) to do so.
  • The biggest negative thing, to me: Need to really learn how to play an offensive ROB when the situation calls for it. There's going to be times that you'll have to approach, or play aggressively... and you suffer from what a lot of ROBs I've played suffer from - lacking the ability to create your own offense.
  • More b-reversed gyros/lasers, more turnaround gyros/lasers, especially when running off a platform. Its such a good option to take a pursuing opponent by surprise.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
@ Crome Crome
  • The biggest negative thing, to me: Need to really learn how to play an offensive ROB when the situation calls for it. There's going to be times that you'll have to approach, or play aggressively... and you suffer from what a lot of ROBs I've played suffer from - lacking the ability to create your own offense.
Could you be more specific? How exactly do I be more offensive? I know I should fair more and space nair better.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Could you be more specific? How exactly do I be more offensive? I know I should fair more and space nair better.
Its... really hard to put into words, tbh. Aside from spacing N- and F-airs, its about baiting an unsafe action, and using the cooldown of that unsafe action to get something started. For example, a foxtrot in to put some 'fake' pressure on them to draw a shield that will let you snag a grab. Or, maybe a short dash-dance, or empty hop while they are in shield to make them think you are going to attack, which will possibly bait out a grab (which they will whiff if you space correctly)- a window you can use to start something up. Also learning how to utilize a gyro in hand to put some pressure on them/play some trixies with them to reveal an opening and capitalize. It doesn't have to be a LONG combo worth 40-50% of damage; just a few hits totally 10-20 is nice and will help get you back in the game (esp. if you are behind).

its just something you "learn" while trying to BE a bit more offensive. You find out what works, and what doesn't on your own. That isn't to say I am recommending going in guns ablazing like you're Sheik... but there's nothing wrong with creating openings for yourself while pushing a pseudo-aggressive agenda as opposed to running/camping & hoping they screw up enough, or are silly enough to approach you while they have a substantial lead with something unsafe.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton

So a prototype R.O.B. amiibo was leaked. The detail is fantastic but the arms are in the wrong position and he isn't meant to be leaning forwards.

sigh~ This place has gone downhill. The only talk I see is about gameplay and not R.O.B. himself.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
The detail is amazing! =O
I hope the retail version retains that level of detail, but based on other Amiibos it doesn't seem likely. Pose is alright, not perfect but not bad either IMO. Going pay serious money for ROB if I have to.

Elliott Crawford

Smash Cadet
NNID
Elliance1
3DS FC
3695-0557-2895
Yo!!!!!!! I'm a R.O.B. main 4 life and I FINALLY joined Smashboards after knowing about for a couple years! I want to improve my R.O.B. and continue to piss of my friends with the gyro. Being new to the site, I'm trying not to make myself look stupid early on so I came to ask where I could post my videos of my R.O.B. replays for feedback and criticism.

Thank You and I look forward to my activity here ^_^

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Yo!!!!!!! I'm a R.O.B. main 4 life and I FINALLY joined Smashboards after knowing about for a couple years! I want to improve my R.O.B. and continue to piss of my friends with the gyro. Being new to the site, I'm trying not to make myself look stupid early on so I came to ask where I could post my videos of my R.O.B. replays for feedback and criticism.

Thank You and I look forward to my activity here ^_^
Video Archive thread is here: http://smashboards.com/threads/r-o-b-video-archive-thread.368827/

WELCOME IN, BTW!!

Last edited:

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Hate to 2x post, but I just wanted to let @ Crome Crome know he can do the stage analysis thread if he likes. I'm more interested in another project atm; a list of ROB bread & butter combos, as well as strings, follow-ups, and set-ups... complete with decently accurage percentages/ranges for the various weightclasses.

Is there anyone with the knowledge of these and/or someone who has another, real life person to test stuff with that would be willing to help me out/contribute?

I'm looking at @ Mister Eric Mister Eric @ NintenRob NintenRob @ GwJ GwJ @ Oracle Oracle @HolyNightmare @ BoTastic! BoTastic! If so, let me know and I can whip the thread up with an acceptable format and the like tomorrow.

Oracle

Smash Master
I don't really like learning percentages and stuff, without stale moves it really isn't that relevant outside of throw kill %'s. I just sort of go by feel lol

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm really the wrong person to ask.

I don't play online because I have very limited internet and I'm not remotely a competitive player.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Finally got to play in another tournament yesterday. :D

I used a healthy mix of my main (Dedede) and of course ROB throughout my matches. In fact I think my tournament sets were pretty evenly split, two sets I used solo-Dedede, two I used solo-ROB, and one where I ended up using both of them. That last set was my second loss, which meant I was out after it. It was almost a 1-2 loss instead of a 0-2, but my impressive uair juggle against a Rosaluma player on Lylat was unfortunately dropped before I could land the finishing blow. I was chasing him up near the blast zone and extending it using ROB's up b, I guess he ran out of juice because as I hit the last uair he started to drop and I fell out of it before what would have been the kill blow connected. Unfortunately, this match was off stream so you only have my word for what happened. :(

I did play 3 matches on stream using ROB, 1 friendly match to warm up and the other 2 were tournament (and my first loss of the tourney sadly). I like to think I did okay in these matches, I still need to brush up the more advanced ROB stuff but I was doing pretty well with just spacing. There are a few obvious mistakes I made in these matches though that ended up costing me the game.

http://www.twitch.tv/rvaforge/v/5139311

1:15:48-1:19:20 for the friendly, and 2:54:35-3:02:17 for the tournament set vs Fox.

Besides those streamed matches though, my other set I used solo-ROB in was a ROB ditto in loser's bracket that I narrowly won. It was a last stock last match situation, and we were both above 100%. It easily could have gone either way, but I secured the win with a good up smash read on my part. I also had the chance to practice the ditto match up with a friend the day before, and I gotta say I really love the ROB ditto. It's probably one of my favorite match ups in this game.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
@ Oracle Oracle , yeah the move staling as well as the rage mechanic can kind of goof with various percentages. That's why I mentioned something along the lines of "if we can more or less agree on what constitutes low, low-mid, mid, mid-high, high percentages (or just low/mid/high)" that can be used. That lends itself much more to a "by feel" as opposed to absolute percentages.

As much as I would love to be super specific, I def think that's its more important (and feasible) to get a general range so that we can get these things put down and widely available to the ROB community to enhance our gameplay overall, as well as optimize move selection & advanced the meta.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I have some IRL friends that can help me test true combos/ Di reads.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I think ROB really has short, high damage combos. Thats what I love him. My favorite is always Nair>Uair.

Although not a true combo, but an interesting string I like to use that hits when I get the read, Uthrow>Fair>Gyro. Then when I get the gyro I just extend it to w/e read I get.

I need to lab more with ROB though to figure out % and what not. I would like to help out when I get the chance.

Last edited:

Elliott Crawford

Smash Cadet
NNID
Elliance1
3DS FC
3695-0557-2895
I'm trying to get a feel for R.O.B.'s offstage game (I'm bad offstage lol). One thing I do with Falcon is bait an air dodge because air dodging offstage against Falcon is a free knee or dair. I am trying to bait air dodge with R.O.B. as well but its a little tricky because he stops his air momentum with dair.

You guys think baiting air dodges offstage is a good idea for R.O.B.?

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I'm trying to get a feel for R.O.B.'s offstage game (I'm bad offstage lol). One thing I do with Falcon is bait an air dodge because air dodging offstage against Falcon is a free knee or dair. I am trying to bait air dodge with R.O.B. as well but its a little tricky because he stops his air momentum with dair.

As long as you aren't predictable.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7

Personally, I don't think ROB has a great offstage game. Its decent, but not something that you can really go to the well with, so to speak (like a Pika, or Sheik, or Falcon). His up+B, having been changed from Brawl, coupled with the changes in his aerials (F-, B-air especially) the way other characters move/behave in the air, their recovery & anti-edgeguard options makes it a lot less "safe".

Anything roughly parallel and above the stage (offstage) is pretty safe and rewarding for him, IMO and you'll be looking for baits to get in a dumpy, 'knock away' F-air or possibly an N-air if you've got a plan/set-up for chasing them near the upper left/right blastzones. Plus, most of the time, people tend to airdodge above/parallel to the stage (to give themselves room to recover), with the occasional "deep" airdodge.

Additionally, being near the edge makes D-air a lot safer, esp. on a stage like BF where the hitbox hits through the stage. Gives you an added level of protection as well as just getting knocked onto the stage if it flubs (as opposed to getting the tides turned on you off and below the stage).

Anything DEEP below the stage is risky, imo (especially if you've been hovering with up+B to try and get the bait, especially D-air... it just puts you in an unfavorable position most of the time, usually without much gain (that is to say, you could have accomplished the same thing in a safer way). You're much better bouncing a gyro off the stage or dropping/throwing it down and look to convert off of it in some way (depending on positioning); or using a F- or B-air depending on your confidence in timing them taking the bait.

TL;DR: Yes, baiting airdodges are good, almost any time/anywhere. However, imo, you get the most reward for it roughly parallel to the stage (slightly above/slightly below) with less risk due to the changes ROB has had from Brawl in relation to the rest of the cast and the engine. For deep stuff, rely on safer options (raw gyro bounce/shots or set-ups & conversions). These can help get the airdodge you're looking for, or be used as an acceptable punish for the airdodge in and of themselves.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Nair -> Uair is my favorite combo with Rob. It flows do well and it works so often.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Will have the thread up in about 2 hours, feel free to post stuff there once its up... at work atm. :)

Zegend

Smash Cadet
Ughh. My alerts aren't keeping me notified on this thread for some reason. Anyone else having problems with this? Smashboards randomly unwatching good threads. That's the reason I haven't posted here for so long, because I thought it was dead lol. Glad to see y'all are still alive <3

Last edited:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
So my boys Holy Nightmare and 8bitman put in work this past weekend. Keep it up, beepos. <3

Ughh. My alerts aren't keeping me notified on this thread for some reason. Anyone else having problems with this? Smashboards randomly unwatching good threads. That's the reason I haven't posted here for so long, because I thought it was dead lol. Glad to see y'all are still alive <3
It's hit or miss for me.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I'm gonna make the stage thread, however I'd like some help with organizing the OP to not make it a cluster****.
(@ Syde7 Syde7 , @ GwJ GwJ )

Should I copy the format used in the MU thread and replace the characters with legal stages, or should I just have a list of every stage, with comments from the thread about said stage in a spoiler underneath?

Also, could someone inform me on how tables function here? They don't seem to work like normal HTML, and looking at the code for the MU thread didn't really help.

Last edited:

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
@ Crome Crome
When I was coming up for the formatting for it, I basically had this in mind (feel free to use it, or to alter it or whatever):

I laid out the stages in several categories (possibly in a graphic form... could maybe do just text in a table if ya wanted):
True Starters: BF, FD, SV (What you'll find as starters in even the most conservative stage lists)
Pseudo Starters: T&C, Lylat
Counterpicks: List of the most common counterpicks (and even as starters in the really liberal stage lists) such as Delfino, Halberd, etc...
Pseudo-Counterpicks: Stages that are sometimes placed as counterpicks in the more liberal stage lists such as Skyloft, Wuhu, Kongo, etc.

Where you place some stages (like Kongo) is really subjective, and really not important to the discussion. It more or less serves as (A) A method to order the discussions and (B) A decently quick way of displaying what stages you would most often see.

After that list, I also wanted to add a table that had the stage name+image in column 1, "Attempt to Strike To" in C2, "Strike vs." in C3, "CP vs." in C4, "Ban vs." in C5, and "Notes" in C6, which would be like a notepad icon or something that would ideally link to the summary on the main post (basically an on-page link), but if that wasn't possible then link to the discussion thread. Could potentially cut out the "Attempt to Strike To" and "Strike vs." columns, considering most sets wind up on SV first game. (seriously guys... use stage striking, especially in more liberal stage lists as there is no reason NOT to maximize your advantage just because you dun wanna go through the trouble of striking and/or learning a different stage... unless of course SV happens to be the best stage to start on in the MU).

Below that I had envisioned each stage (take FD for example) with a heading giving the name of the stage, with a write up summarizing the agreed upon points, notating the disagreements wrapped in a spoiler tag and providing really good / informed quotes wrapped within a second spoiler tag.

As I said, this is what I had planned to do, not saying that's what you have to do. Feel free to change the format as you'd like (or disregard it entirely).

Top Bottom