• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

osby

Smash Obsessed
Possibly. For some reason I have this pre-conceived notion that ATLUS is just as stingy and over-protective of their IP ala Square Enix in that they micro-manage anything and everything about how their franchises are represented. Granted I probably don't have any factual evidence on that, nor the idea they'd make Nintendo delay a Smash direct just so they reveal stuff first.
Then that's a baseless assumption. ATLUS is a pretty chill company and they do crossovers all the time.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I think at this point it's safe to say that we won't get a Joker reveal until Atlus shows more of the new girl. If the date they showed in the teaser is the next time we'll see the game, then we're not getting him until the last week of April.
Whoop de freaking do...way to ruin it for non-Persona fans ATLUS...

Then that's a baseless assumption. ATLUS is a pretty chill company and they do crossovers all the time.
But aren't most of those crossovers lesser known than Smash? Considering it's well...Smash, who knows what they might do. Though with Sakurai visiting them and being a huge fan; perhaps that's a bright side to consider.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
But aren't most of those crossovers lesser known than Smash? Considering it's well...Smash, who knows what they might do. Though with Sakurai visiting them and being a huge fan; perhaps that's a bright side to consider.
So since you don't know, then there is also no reason to be upset at them over any of this.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I know people think the 24th of april date is for more info, but we dont really know that do we? (could be more than just that)

I still think we'll know lots of stuff at Sega Fes, and then i think we can say more based on what we get there.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Nintendo did say "before the end of april", so it wouldn't be entirely out of nowhere.

It would only be truly scummy if absolutely no announcement or release happened next month.
It wouldn't be scummy for a release in the last week of April, but it would be disapointing. My cousins are staying with me over Easter weekend and a ton of smash is going to be played with or without Joker. I was really hoping I'd have him for that.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I know people think the 24th of april date is for more info, but we dont really know that do we? (could be more than just that)

I still think we'll know lots of stuff at Sega Fes, and then i think we can say more based on what we get there.
Considering the end of the P5R trailer says "More info April 24th!!!" I'd say we do know that.

Whoop de freaking do...way to ruin it for non-Persona fans ATLUS...
Dude, are you even a Persona/ATLUS fan? It seems every time you post, you're saying something negative about either them or their fans.

amageish

Smash Master
In any case, it looks like the "Switch release promotion" theory got disproven, so until further notice the only thing that tied Joker to Nintendo stuff at all is Q2.
I didn't want to say this, but have a prediction literally nobody (including me) would like. The trademarked P5S is for a Switch version, but it is the original P5 with none of the P5R enhancements, a la how Catherine Classic came out on PC right before Catherine Full Body released on Vita/PS4 in Japan.... This could be a result of the weird Sony/ATLUS relationship where Sony helps fund the games, but doesn't have any ownership of the IP.

As for the notion of "delaying" Joker until the 24th of April, characters reportedly take six months to develop. The fact Joker releases in April at all is cutting that deadline somewhat close, given how they said DLC didn't start until the base game was complete. Heck, for all we know, ATLUS is delaying a FeMC formal announcement to be right before Smash DLC is ready.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Considering the end of the P5R trailer says "More info April 24th!!!" I'd say we do know that.

Dude, are you even a Persona/ATLUS fan? It seems every time you post, you're saying something negative about either them or their fans.
That's not what I heard people say that it says exactly. And I still think it could just be a lot more info about the game, while we could get some important details before then too. Anyway, I want to stay open cuz I'd like joker in smash sooner than that :p

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
That's not what I heard people say that it says exactly. And I still think it could just be a lot more info about the game, while we could get some important details before then too. Anyway, I want to stay open cuz I'd like joker in smash sooner than that :p
What does it say? I assumed that was it because it was presented in the same way as the last time. Does it actually say something else?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What does it say? I assumed that was it because it was presented in the same way as the last time. Does it actually say something else?
I'll try to see if I can find it or more info. I didn't take note of it, just remember seeing something like see you at.. the place of the concert, i think.

amageish

Smash Master

Twitter version literally says "Next information" in English above the 4/24 date.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'll try to see if I can find it or more info. I didn't take note of it, just remember seeing something like see you at.. the place of the concert, i think.
That was the calling card in the end. It said April 24 earlier.

Edit: amageish amageish Joker not until last week of April basically confirmed then.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Twitter version literally says "Next information" in English above the 4/24 date.
Yeah the website says Next Information too. So that's pretty sad if we have to wait until after the 24th to get joker..

Characters dont take 6 months to develop btw :p
They'll be releasing 5 in the span of a year, so that gives them 2-3 months each. It'll be a little over 3 months for joker if it's at the end of april :/

StormC

Smash Hero
Eurgh... this better get a Switch port. Definitely not worth double dipping on the PlayStation 4.

Characters dont take 6 months to develop btw :p
They'll be releasing 5 in the span of a year, so that gives them 2-3 months each. It'll be a little over 3 months for joker if it's at the end of april :/
They work on more than one character a time.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
New character is cute and has a ponytail, so she's alright in my book. Still, if she actually does end up being an alternative to Joker, she's got nothing on his swag at the moment.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Eurgh... this better get a Switch port. Definitely not worth double dipping on the PlayStation 4.

Sure. But it's not like the base roster where they have to make a lot at the same time. They get to focus a lot more on 1 or 2.
Just my guess based on the datamining, but I think they work on 2-3 at a time while focusing more on the next release.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It's worth noting that unlike Smash 4, they are not working on two versions of each character this time. So the time to make characters would be a little bit shorter.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Actually, Characters probably DO take 6+ months to properly implement. People really underestimate how much tweaking goes into adding a new character to a roster. Sure adding the actual model and moveset probably only takes a few months, but HOO BOY it takes a crapton of time to make sure they're balanced enough for public play. I guarantee you Joker was being developed a few months before the game came out.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's worth noting that unlike Smash 4, they are not working on two versions of each character this time. So the time to make characters would be a little bit shorter.
It helps if the DLC team are the exact same staffers as last time, who should have a better idea of how DLC development works now. Last time, they pretty much had to wing it.

Actually, Characters probably DO take 6+ months to properly implement. People really underestimate how much tweaking goes into adding a new character to a roster. Sure adding the actual model and moveset probably only takes a few months, but HOO BOY it takes a crapton of time to make sure they're balanced enough for public play. I guarantee you Joker was being developed a few months before the game came out.
Given that, character #5 would barely even have any time for balancing by the time next February happens.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Joker probably started when the game went gold in late October/early November. Based on dates, he'll probably be out in the last week of April, so that's six months.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Given that, character #5 would barely even have any time for balancing by the time next February happens.
As someone said previously, they never have just one iron in the fire. I can't comment any further since I'm not on the dev team though.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
If new girl IS an alt: This would be a Corrin/Roy situation all over again, in which a character is partially a stealth advertisment for a future game only this time it's a third party character doing it. Oh I can already imagine pandemonium erupting if this happens. That said: It would be a thing ATLUS would do, using a game like Smash to advertise their stuff.

D

Deleted member

So we got... an announcement of an announcement to come... this seems to be a part of the ATLUS meta.
The new girl is cute, but I don't know how she will be implemented... but I think the options of a new confidant or a FeMC are the most likely. I honestly wouldn't mind her being a FeMC so that people who bought P5 originally (like myself) have a fresh, new experience with P5.
I just hope we don't have to wait until the end of April for Joker though... I want him now! :(

That's actually an interesting point, if she was an alt for joker she'd have to use Arsene.
In P3P, the FeMC was given a female/slightly different colored Orpheus, so it's not entirely unheard of.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Joker probably started when the game went gold in late October/early November. Based on dates, he'll probably be out in the last week of April, so that's six months.
That's probably fair, actually. Some code for joker was already there in december, so it might've been worked on for at least 1 or 2 months. I'll go ahead and say 5 months to make the character, just to defy a bit :p

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
So we got... an announcement of an announcement to come... this seems to be a part of the ATLUS meta.
The new girl is cute, but I don't know how she will be implemented... but I think the options of a new confidant or a FeMC are the most likely. I honestly wouldn't mind her being a FeMC so that people who bought P5 originally (like myself) have a fresh, new experience with P5.
I just hope we don't have to wait until the end of April for Joker though... I want him now! :(

In P3P, the FeMC was given a female/slightly different colored Orpheus, so it's not entirely unheard of.
Too bad. If ATLUS wants to unveil this new girl first and that she's a Joker alt; then more than likely they insisted to Nintendo to delay the direct, disregarding the non-Persona fans in the process.

A different-designed Arsene could be possible, as long as it still has the same properties and functions in Joker's moveset seeing as this an alt and not an echo/semi-clone.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Too bad. If ATLUS wants to unveil this new girl first and that she's a Joker alt; then more than likely they insisted to Nintendo to delay the direct, disregarding the non-Persona fans in the process.

A different-designed Arsene could be possible, as long as it still has the same properties and functions in Joker's moveset seeing as this an alt and not an echo/semi-clone.
Seriously, people are asking you to stop this baseless Atlus hate. It's getting very annoying.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

It wouldn't surprise me if that's the reason we didn't get gameplay up to now. Waiting on Atlus' timeline. The character might even have been finished before, which of course sucks a bit to get it a bit later, but even if it's part of promotion, I think it's worth the little bit more of the wait :)
I still think we could get the direct early april. let's see what happens.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Maybe we should let Aeon be pessimistic for now and wait and see if the universe proves him wrong.

Next time, we know her name, and the announcement is for the release date of the game. :4pacman:

they can develop multple at the same time
Kinda hard to tell when most of them were veterans last time.

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Downloadable_content_(SSB4)

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
It wouldn't surprise me if that's the reason we didn't get gameplay up to now. Waiting on Atlus' timeline. The character might even have been finished before, which of course sucks a bit to get it a bit later, but even if it's part of promotion, I think it's worth the little bit more of the wait :)
I still think we could get the direct early april. let's see what happens.
Hopefully that's the reason for Nintendo to release a direct/Joker's pack near the end of April as opposed to the alternative.

amageish

Smash Master
As we've been discussing, Sakurai himself has said it takes 6 months to develop a character - though, back when custom moves was a thing in Smash 4, he said it took a year per character. It's been four months since Joker was revealed. You have no evidence to suggest that there is direct being delayed by ATLUS when it is just as likely that Smash characters take a long time to develop - especially if Joker is going to be a summoner, a character archetype that has not been in Smash before.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Maybe we should let Aeon be pessimistic for now and wait and see if the universe proves him wrong.

Next time, we know her name, and the announcement is for the release date of the game. :4pacman:

Kinda hard to tell when most of them were veterans last time.

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Downloadable_content_(SSB4)
I hope I'm proven wrong as well as want to be proven wrong. And I will also gladly admit so if I am.

Hard to compare Smash 4 DLC to Ultimate DLC as in Smash 4: 3 of them were returning veterans, while 3 were 3rd party characters. Ultimate's DLC may very well be all 5 3rd party characters who are (obviously) new to the series.

Last edited:
Top Bottom