• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Please don't be another Marie...

Edit: People are thinking it may be a new character entirely, what with the 1st year label and how she supposedly "doesn't agree with what the Phantom Theies are doing", assuming that's what is really being said in the trailer.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I am curious, what sort of Persona 5 spin off's wold you guys like to see?
Bullet hell! I mean, Atlus published those from time to time and the PS4 and Switch are stuffed with them, so it would be a natural fit.

Still though That April 24 announcement, I hope that doesn't mean Joker's Smash reveal isn't delayed...
It would line up with "before the end of April" as exact words. However, it seems pointless to delay it since the cat's out of the bag now. And I still want it to happen during my vacation from work, darn it.

Also, reminder that Corrin became playable in Smash before their game came out.

Son of a vitch, it was true after all! Looks like Joker IS getting the Robin/Corrin treatment.
My exact thought earlier this morning. Joker's like a Bayonetta/Corrin amalgam now.

Please don't be another Marie...

Edit: People are thinking it may be a new character entirely, what with the 1st year label and how she supposedly "doesn't agree with what the Phantom Theies are doing", assuming that's what is really being said in the trailer.
Oh, so less like Corrin and more like Bowser Jr? Interesting...

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I really really hope we don't have to wait until after the next announcement for Joker. I really want to have him for Easter weekend.

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
Apparently the calling card that the girl got said this:
4/24” “Visit the Ryugoku Kokugikan (A Sports Area in Japan)”
“-The Phantom Thieves Of Heart”

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ah so she really may just be another Marie after all...
  1. Marie isn't the only Persona character added in a remake
  2. Wè don't know anything about her, they likely are nothing alike
  3. It's the at least third time you said this
  4. If she's another Marie, her story will be entirely optional again, so I don't see a reason to complain

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Doubtful it's another Marie. I suspect the Calling Card shown was less ingame nonsense and more Atlus announcement nonsense.

Remember, the datamine mentioning the Ponytail heavily points to FeMC, especially since their playstyles would have to match, meaning Arsene being available.

And also note the backpack. It's likely this is your 'Mona' backpack, something they likely wouldn't throw on a random NPC/Confidant

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
So we do potentially have some kind of Female Protagonist but it's not another version of Joker? I am totally confused.
As for the date: I hope that the smash direct will also take place somewhat around that date.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
So we do potentially have some kind of Female Protagonist but it's not another version of Joker? I am totally confused.
As for the date: I hope that the smash direct will also take place somewhat around that date.
The last time we had a Female Protaganist, it was another character that essentially stepped into Joker's role. So it's not a genderflipped Joker, but another person entirely that will mimic Joker's role in the story with mild to large variations to the plot. Having a female protag will likely mean a substantial change to the Kamoshida arc, for example, but we'll also see a different scene than the one on the beach where they're picking up women

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Please no. That would make it literally the last possible time it could happen. The 24th is the last week of April.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Doubtful it's another Marie. I suspect the Calling Card shown was less ingame nonsense and more Atlus announcement nonsense.

Remember, the datamine mentioning the Ponytail heavily points to FeMC, especially since their playstyles would have to match, meaning Arsene being available.

And also note the backpack. It's likely this is your 'Mona' backpack, something they likely wouldn't throw on a random NPC/Confidant
Imo, the datamine is the thing that strongly hints her being a playable character whether be a direct copy and paste work of Joker's story, or having some key alterations mainly due too her having a ponytail. I highly doubt ATLUS would use up Joker's alt slots to shill an NPC unless this is like how they tried shilling Marie until they realized nobody except her seiyuu's fans gave a damn about her.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Imo, the datamine is the thing that strongly hints her being a playable character whether be a direct copy and paste work of Joker's story, or having some key alterations mainly due too her having a ponytail. I highly doubt ATLUS would use up Joker's alt slots to shill an NPC unless this is like how they tried shilling Marie until they realized nobody except her seiyuu's fans gave a damn about her.
What did Marie do to you?

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman

That's actually an interesting point, if she was an alt for joker she'd have to use Arsene.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Please no. That would make it literally the last possible time it could happen. The 24th is the last week of April.
Yeah I mean, at least think about the others. It would be silly to delay a Direct a couple weeks after the usual post-Nindies timeframe just because Atlus keeps everything about their next game project a secret until the very day it releases.

Although it's not nearly as bad as Corrin coming out in Smash 4, months before Intelligent Systems' FE Fates got released (in the West, anyway).

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I mean, at least think about the others. It would be silly to delay a Direct a couple weeks after the usual post-Nindies timeframe just because Atlus keeps everything about their next game project a secret until the very day it releases.

Although it's not nearly as bad as Corrin coming out in Smash 4, months before Intelligent Systems' FE Fates got released.
Considering how secretive ATLUS is about their stuff, they might have convinced Nintendo to hold off on anything Joker-related in Smash until their announcement especially it includes this new girl as an alt. Granted that might possibly be over-stepping certain boundaries: Say for instance in a party, as a guest you don't badger the host to delay stuff for everyone just so that you do things your way even IF this whole thing is a collaboration.

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
What is the actual translation for the conversation happening in the trailer?

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
The more I think about this, especially the idea of Smash news (or news relating to Joker) being delayed to April 24th just to ATLUS can have their announcements: It's making me start to think ATLUS might be going way overboard just cause Nintendo/Sakurai approved of putting Joker in Smash. Hopefully this means the Persona content isn't as stingy as Final Fantasy, though with ATLUS being so secretive...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The more I think about this, especially the idea of Smash news (or news relating to Joker) being delayed to April 24th just to ATLUS can have their announcements: It's making me start to think ATLUS might be going way overboard just cause Nintendo/Sakurai approved of putting Joker in Smash. Hopefully this means the Persona content isn't as stingy as Final Fantasy, though with ATLUS being so secretive...
If so, hopefully this won't affect announcements for the rest of the characters in the fighter pass, regardless of how long they take to make. There's still a deadline of February 2020 and the first quarter of this year's nearly done...

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Hm, odd! Based on what we know, I've got some guesses.

Assuming that the "Pony hair" alt in Smash is indeed this new character (which seems likely to me), that also means that she has to fight very similarly to Joker. It was found to be an alternate costume, not even an Echo Fighter, which means that the two of them have to fight almost identically. Also, I find it hard to believe that they'd make her an alternate costume for Joker in Smash just because she's a new character in P5R - she'd have to fit the role.

So that makes me think she must be playable in some capacity! I doubt it's just a new character like Marie, because there would be no reason for her to fight just like Joker. Based on that, I can come up with three possibilties:

-She's a female protagonist! This seems to be countered by the trailer, because her pin says she's a first year, but Joker is second year (in fact, no member of the party is a first year at Shujin!) She also says that she doesn't agree with how the Phantom Thieves are doing things. A female protagonist doesn't seem impossible to me, despite the oddities - maybe her story ends up significantly different from the original male protagonist's, so it's like a new story? That might explain some of the differences - for example, maybe she knows of the Phantom Thieves because she isn't a part of the team when they start?​
-She's the star of a new mode like P3FES's Answer! Some new mode where you play as her and... I don't know, look into the Phantom Thieves? I would think that the star of a new mode would fight a bit differently from Joker, but maybe not! Based on the fact that her words indicate the Phantom Thieves are still around, I guess it could be a mode you do after beating the game, but its story takes place at the same time as the main story, rather than afterwards?​
-It's also possible that "Persona 5 The Royal" isn't an enhanced version of P5 at all! And in that case, she'd be the main character of whatever this is. Since 4's enhanced version was "Persona 4 The Golden" in Japan, though, it makes sense to me that this is an enhanced version of 5.​
It's impossible to know for sure without more info, but I think it's one of the first two possibilities for now. Looking forward to hearing more!

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
What is the actual translation for the conversation happening in the trailer?
From MysticDistance on Twitter:

Goro Akechi: "So, what are your thoughts on things regarding the Phantom Thieves?"

Mysterious Girl: "I think that helping people is a wonderful thing to be able to do."

"But, I can't really say that I like them. I don't believe the Phantom Thieves and their methods will reform the world or help others."

"In the end, I believe that is only something that you yourself can really solve."

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
Hm, odd! Based on what we know, I've got some guesses.

Assuming that the "Pony hair" alt in Smash is indeed this new character (which seems likely to me), that also means that she has to fight very similarly to Joker. It was found to be an alternate costume, not even an Echo Fighter, which means that the two of them have to fight almost identically. Also, I find it hard to believe that they'd make her an alternate costume for Joker in Smash just because she's a new character in P5R - she'd have to fit the role.

So that makes me think she must be playable in some capacity! I doubt it's just a new character like Marie, because there would be no reason for her to fight just like Joker. Based on that, I can come up with three possibilties:

-She's a female protagonist! This seems to be countered by the trailer, because her pin says she's a first year, but Joker is second year (in fact, no member of the party is a first year at Shujin!) She also says that she doesn't agree with how the Phantom Thieves are doing things. A female protagonist doesn't seem impossible to me, despite the oddities - maybe her story ends up significantly different from the original male protagonist's, so it's like a new story? That might explain some of the differences - for example, maybe she knows of the Phantom Thieves because she isn't a part of the team when they start?​
-She's the star of a new mode like P3FES's Answer! Some new mode where you play as her and... I don't know, look into the Phantom Thieves? I would think that the star of a new mode would fight a bit differently from Joker, but maybe not! Based on the fact that her words indicate the Phantom Thieves are still around, I guess it could be a mode you do after beating the game, but its story takes place at the same time as the main story, rather than afterwards?​
-It's also possible that "Persona 5 The Royal" isn't an enhanced version of P5 at all! And in that case, she'd be the main character of whatever this is. Since 4's enhanced version was "Persona 4 The Golden" in Japan, though, it makes sense to me that this is an enhanced version of 5.​
It's impossible to know for sure without more info, but I think it's one of the first two possibilities for now. Looking forward to hearing more!
This might be too far-fetched but, was it only one costume that the pony tail alt takes over or are there also 4 of them?

If it's one I could also see Joker having some kind of cross-dressed outfit (like Yu,Yosuke and Kanji had in P4 lol). If that's not the case I am entirely confused since she has to fight exactly like Joker and also use Arsene? I don't know... If she isn't a FeMC, how is she supposed to work in Joker's costumes?

Also agree on the Answer part. Maybe there will be another story after the events of P5 where Joker is gone for whatever reason and they need to rescue him or something among those lines. So I could definitely see her taking over his spot in that story with the same Persona etc.

But guess time will tell since Atlus caused more confusion than anything else.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Oh dear god, please don't make P5R give Akechi the "Draco in Leather Pants" treatment...

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman

C-G

Smash Journeyman
From MysticDistance on Twitter:

Goro Akechi: "So, what are your thoughts on things regarding the Phantom Thieves?"

Mysterious Girl: "I think that helping people is a wonderful thing to be able to do."

"But, I can't really say that I like them. I don't believe the Phantom Thieves and their methods will reform the world or help others."

"In the end, I believe that is only something that you yourself can really solve."
So thoughts based on this trailer + what we know about Smash.

First, a 'The Answer' type post game scenario is unlikely given the conversation in question.

Second, this conversation mirrors a specific scene in the game where we first meet Akechi at the TV station, it's possible the lines are coming from this point making starting from the beginning a possibility.

Third, let us assume that the conversation means the FeMC comes in later than in the main game, as the Phantom Thieves are widely known and popular. This means her induction into the Phantom Thieves would have to have happened at least after the second Palace, skipping several key events. This in turn means the Phantom Thieves have likely not had their 'Leader' or 'Ace' for the first two Palaces. This is also problematic as Joker was the initiator of the entire Metaverse thing when he picked up that app, and without him they wouldn't have found Mona in the first place.

Fourth, let us assume that the opposite is true and she begins the game normally. There are likely to be some distinct changes to the start of the story. Kamoshida will be VAAAAAAAAAAAAAASTLY different. Maybe not enough to take him to a different series of events, but still a lot. This rule would also apply to Sojiro's treatment of the MC and possibly the initial incident that lead to Joker's criminal record.

Lastly (as I mentioned earlier), the datamine strongly indicates this is not a new NPC, but a FeMC based on the requirements of the datamine (Female counterpart, ponytail) and that this character sharing this much incommon means she will have to have Arsene, removing doubts of her being unplayable. This is, however, not confirmed by any means and is just conjecture
Watch this character be female Akechi rather than female Joker.
Ah yes, I too regularly have deep conversations with my genderflipped self

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
So thoughts based on this trailer + what we know about Smash.

First, a 'The Answer' type post game scenario is unlikely given the conversation in question.

Second, this conversation mirrors a specific scene in the game where we first meet Akechi at the TV station, it's possible the lines are coming from this point making starting from the beginning a possibility.

Third, let us assume that the conversation means the FeMC comes in later than in the main game, as the Phantom Thieves are widely known and popular. This means her induction into the Phantom Thieves would have to have happened at least after the second Palace, skipping several key events. This in turn means the Phantom Thieves have likely not had their 'Leader' or 'Ace' for the first two Palaces. This is also problematic as Joker was the initiator of the entire Metaverse thing when he picked up that app, and without him they wouldn't have found Mona in the first place.

Fourth, let us assume that the opposite is true and she begins the game normally. There are likely to be some distinct changes to the start of the story. Kamoshida will be VAAAAAAAAAAAAAASTLY different. Maybe not enough to take him to a different series of events, but still a lot. This rule would also apply to Sojiro's treatment of the MC and possibly the initial incident that lead to Joker's criminal record.

Ah yes, I too regularly have deep conversations with my genderflipped self
I was kidding, but in all seriousness, is it actually confirmed she was talking to Akechi? I thought that was speculation.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
My god, she has TONS of fanart already!
And the tag "female protagonist" is trending. Guess Japan also likes the idea of a FeMC, I now worry if this girl really IS just a Marie.

Now to see if ATLUS actually knows their audience, or they just f this up like they allowed the people making the anime f up the adaptation.

Top Bottom