• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The latest topics that have been discussed was the whole Full Body controversy and a ton of Fire Emblem.
Oh yeah speaking of the latter, I kinda wanted to share my thoughts.
It turns ending exists and was translated fully, but it wasn’t exactly in the context that I expected it to be...
I wanted to make a public statement about it on Twitter but people seemed too upset about it to be reasoned with, but after looking into it nothing regarding Erica appears to be blatantly transphobic, my personal take is that either this is a continuity ****up on one of the writer’s or animator’s behalf or something along the lines of the butterfly effect (Where time travel can affect even the smallest of things) but nothing about it came across to me personally as blatantly transphobic considering none of the characters even mention it directly, to me it seems like it was all initially taken out-of-context on the original ResetEra thread it was taken from.

But that’s my personal take on the whole matter, you all have likely talked about it quite a bit so I’ll just leave it there, if you feel a different way feel free to PM me but I kinda just wanted to clear the air about how I felt.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Can I just say that the only good things to come out of The Answer were Metis and Mitsukari?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Two things:
  1. We totally forgot to celebrate Futaba's birthday yesterday.
  2. While it does not reveal any new info, We have gotten this today.

amageish

Smash Master
Two things:
  1. We totally forgot to celebrate Futaba's birthday yesterday.
  2. While it does not reveal any new info, We have gotten this today.
Oops. Happy belated Birthday Futaba! [Edit: Or happy birthday Futaba!]

Well, that sure was... a trailer-ish. I feel a bit excited purely because Joker being in Smash is still mind-boggling to me, but also more information would have been cool... I wonder how long they'll make us "stay tuned"...

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
It's weird how much they're drawing this out. I'd say I wish they didn't show Joker so early... but then I wouldn't have played Persona 5 and gotten excited about Joker... the power of cross-marketing synergy.

I'm just gonna assume we won't hear anything until April.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
View attachment 193438
Futaba's birthday is today.
My mistake, the original tweet that announced this was on the 18th for me. Timezones confuse me. So, I guess today's schedule is looking through all the Futaba fan art that is being made.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
It's weird how much they're drawing this out. I'd say I wish they didn't show Joker so early... but then I wouldn't have played Persona 5 and gotten excited about Joker... the power of cross-marketing synergy.

I'm willin' to bet we're gonna get another Smash focused Direct late March/early April talking about Version 3.0, considering they clearly have more stuff to announce about it than just Joker.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You forgot to mention the sudden discussion of having children in an rpg that showed up earlier today
That was tying into the whole queer talk, to be fair. Besides, barely anyone cares about things being off-topic right now. :drshrug:

Yeah, people think a reveal will happen at the GDC, but I strongly doubt that'll be the case. It's ironic how people cried out on how the staff blew its load for the initial roster reveals, yet when the opposite happens, they want them to hurry up. It's a real Three Bears situation.

I'm willin' to bet we're gonna get another Smash focused Direct late March/early April talking about Version 3.0, considering they clearly have more stuff to announce about it than just Joker.
That seems a little more plausible. They did say that Joker would be released "by the end of April", so I suppose we might get an advance report/release like for PP.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I knew it was Futaba’s birthday! :p

Although gotta say that video newly gave me a heart attack...

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I knew it was Futaba’s birthday! :p

Although gotta say that video newly gave me a heart attack...
Sorry if I got people's hopes up with that tweet.

Anyway...
There was a problem fetching the tweet

StormC

Smash Hero
Pretty much. I think we'll get a Smash Mini-Direct in April, with the following:

-Joker trailer and showcase
-Mii costumes
-Stage Builder
-Other various new modes/tweaks
-Fighter 2 trailer and showcase

Then it will end with everything besides Fighter 2 being "available now!" with Fighter 2 being a June release.

amageish

Smash Master
I'm doing a Persona/MegaTen panel at a convention this weekend, so I've been doing a NG+ of P5. I recall liking this game, but forgot it was this good haha.

Pretty much. I think we'll get a Smash Mini-Direct in April, with the following:

-Mii costumes
-Stage Builder

Then it will end with everything besides Fighter 2 being "available now!" with Fighter 2 being a June release.
Sounds pretty likely. They do love shadowdropping characters.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Not to bring up an old topic, but apparently Hashino isn't actually the director of Catherine Full Body. He's the producer. So he didn't have anything to do with making the game. He was just in charge of making sure it got done.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Not to bring up an old topic, but apparently Hashino isn't actually the director of Catherine Full Body. He's the producer. So he didn't have anything to do with making the game. He was just in charge of making sure it got done.
Yeah like I said, I think people really jumped the gun on the whole situation, I personally see it as a learning experience for them tbh.

amageish

Smash Master
Weird, as he's been promoting it more then Kazuhisa Wada has been interview-wise... I guess Wada has to vaguely tease P5R though, plus Hashino definitely more of a figurehead.

not like it really makes Hashino any better of a person, but good to know he wasn't super involved in these bad decision

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah like I said, I think people really jumped the gun on the whole situation, I personally see it as a learning experience for them tbh.
Yeah, a real trial by fire right there. "Let's put a trans person in the game, while having no idea how to treat/portray them properly and possibly offend a subset of people, what can possibly go wrong?".

No offense, but it's almost akin to a child having to hurt themselves before realising they ain't supposed to touch something harmful. :ohwell:

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Yeah, a real trial by fire right there. "Let's put a trans person in the game, while having no idea how to treat/portray them properly and possibly offend a subset of people, what can possibly go wrong?".

No offense, but it's almost akin to a child having to hurt themselves before realising they ain't supposed to touch something harmful. :ohwell:
Let’s not have this discussion here, I already explained what I meant above in a separate post and said if you wanted to respond then PM’ing would be a better thing to do.

There’s a lot about this situation that wasn’t really clear-cut and taken out of context, which is why I wasn’t too keen on bringing up to begin with, but felt it’d be good just to clear the air about, which is why I mentioned it to begin with.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Let’s not have this discussion here, I already explained what I meant above in a separate post and said if you wanted to respond then PM’ing would be a better thing to do.

There’s a lot about this situation that wasn’t really clear-cut and taken out of context, which is why I wasn’t too keen on bringing up to begin with, but felt it’d be good just to clear the air about, which is why I mentioned it to begin with.
Alright, mum's the word on that then. That aside…

-Mii costumes
-Stage Builder

This seems likely, since I kinda doubt the Digimon anniversary event and the GDC will have anything happen.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Weird, as he's been promoting it more then Kazuhisa Wada has been interview-wise... I guess Wada has to vaguely tease P5R though, plus Hashino definitely more of a figurehead.

not like it really makes Hashino any better of a person, but good to know he wasn't super involved in these bad decision
Did he do something else? Because all the accusations I've heard have been based on the full body contraversy.

amageish

Smash Master
Did he do something else? Because all the accusations I've heard have been based on the full body contraversy.
He's just said some weird stuff in the past indicating that he either (i) doesn't think of or (ii) doesn't think highly of LGBTQ+ people - ex/ the original P3 made all the female social links romantic as he didn't believe men and women could actually form platonic friendships, in spite of not all men being attracted to all women and vice versa...

Hence why people were willing to believe the Full Body controversy was all because of him, as it's not like it would be uncharacteristic...

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
He's just said some weird stuff in the past indicating that he either (i) doesn't think of or (ii) doesn't think highly of LGBTQ+ people - ex/ the original P3 made all the female social links romantic as he didn't believe men and women could actually form platonic friendships, in spite of not all men being attracted to all women and vice versa...

Hence why people were willing to believe the Full Body controversy was all because of him, as it's not like it would be uncharacteristic...
I mean the P3 thing sounds silly. That's like saying the people at Bethesda think there's no such thing as someone who's not bisexual because of Skyrim and Fallout. And comments can be misinterpreted, especially in translation. What did he supposedly say?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I also wonder if he had something to do with the Yosuke romance option being trashed when it was thoroughly planned to happen. Though then again, why would he let it get as far as it did if he would be against the idea? It's clear it got a good ways into development if there was English voice lines for it and you can clearly still see hints of the romantic route format for Yosuke's social link, so I don't know what to think about that.

Anyway, I just hope that all of this stuff gets sorted out for the better.

amageish

Smash Master
I mean the P3 thing sounds silly. That's like saying the people at Bethesda think there's no such thing as someone who's not bisexual because of Skyrim and Fallout. And comments can be misinterpreted, especially in translation. What did he supposedly say?
The translation is official and in the art book, but going to the source myself it seems it has been exaggerated through the grapeline. His comments are as follows:

Interviewer: Come to think of it, you can only can form that kind of friendship with social links of the same gender. Does that mean true friendships between people of the opposite gender don't exist?
Hashino: I've never successfully forged a true friendship with a girl in real life.
Soejima: Neither have I.
Hashino: I guess that means we couldn't implement in the game because we don't know what it is like. (laughs)
Soejima: Now that I'm in my thirties, I'm more open to the idea that it is possible though. Back in high school, I admit I couldn't look at girls that way.

I also wonder if he had something to do with the Yosuke romance option being trashed when it was thoroughly planned to happen. Though then again, why would he let it get as far as it did if he would be against the idea? It's clear it got a good ways into development if there was English voice lines for it and you can clearly still see hints of the romantic route format for Yosuke's social link, so I don't know what to think about that.

Yeah, that is very weird. I really don't know what to think about that one... I'm sure there was some reason for scrapping it, but no idea...

Either way, I agree and hope that ATLUS can find a way to put this behind them and do better in the future.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The translation is official and in the art book, but going to the source myself it seems it has been exaggerated through the grapeline. His comments are as follows:

Yeah, that is very weird. I really don't know what to think about that one... I'm sure there was some reason for scrapping it, but no idea...

Either way, I agree and hope that ATLUS can find a way to put this behind them and do better in the future.
It sounds like he has never had a platonic friendship with a girl, so he chose not to try and write a story about one since he didn't know how. Seems pretty innocent to me.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So, if I understand correctly, Hoshino is a virgin that doesn't have much relationship experience.

Well, that's definitely a more sensible explanation.
Nah, he's married. What he refers to is male-female friendships are generally a novel concept in Japan and probably wasn't a big thing when he was young.

Yosuke's route isn't the only cut romance in Persona. In Portable, Junpei also had one with female protag but they cut it.

Both characters have a deceased love interest, so I imagine that's the main issue.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yosuke's route isn't the only cut romance in Persona. In Portable, Junpei also had one with female protag but they cut it.

Both characters have a deceased love interest, so I imagine that's the main issue.
I guess that makes sense, though I don't think it's as much of a problem in Yosuke's case since it happens before you even enter a dungeon. With Jumpei it's a much more prominent recurring thing throughout the game(At least from what I understand of P3).

osby

Smash Obsessed
I guess that makes sense, though I don't think it's as much of a problem in Yosuke's case since it happens before you even enter a dungeon. With Jumpei it's a much more prominent recurring thing throughout the game(At least from what I understand of P3).
True, but Yosuke's Social Link also keeps drawing parallels between you and Saki until the end. I think a romance route would make you play the role of a replacement goldfish.

Top Bottom