• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes Draw Near. Command? (Hero Social Thread)

Not counting newcomers/echoes, which kind of DQ content would you like in future Smash games?

• Assist throphies (i.e. Slime/Slime Family, Golems, Killer Machines, Party Members)

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Mii costumes (Alena, Torneko, Yangus, Priest)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Stages to show more DQ worlds

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • New tracks and arrangements

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • A boss (i.e. Dragonlord, Estark, Bjørn)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More Hero Alts (either male or female)

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • More cameos

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Items (Chimera wing for example)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Although I'm happy that the Dragon Quest Heroes are playable, I would also love to have Sora as well.

Also, I noticed that Piranha Plant, Joker, and Hero, all released on weekdays. Hmm, maybe all DLC fighters are going to be released on weekdays.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Although I'm happy that the Dragon Quest Heroes are playable, I would also love to have Sora as well.
Sora would be interesting.

A keyblade user who uses many spells and at times even becomes a weilder of two keyblades at the same time.

I own every KH game except 3 due to budget stuff, and I enjoyed the stuff in those games. Sora isn’t someone I deeply want as Crash is or the DQ8 Hero and Metroid newcomers in general were... But I would still be cool with Sora.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The Heroes moveset is pretty much what I imagined Sora's being like, the only difference being that Sora would have been a lot faster since hes more of an athletic fighter.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Sora would be interesting.

A keyblade user who uses many spells and at times even becomes a weilder of two keyblades at the same time.

I own every KH game except 3 due to budget stuff, and I enjoyed the stuff in those games. Sora isn’t someone I deeply want as Crash is or the DQ8 Hero and Metroid newcomers in general were... But I would still be cool with Sora.
I agree! Also, I'm not surprised that Sora isn't a spirit, although Spirits don't deconfirm, (since pikachu has a non-fighter spirit)

D

Deleted member

The Heroes moveset is pretty much what I imagined Sora's being like, the only difference being that Sora would have been a lot faster since more of an athletic fighter.
Honestly, I kind of agree with you.

Outside of the thing regarding a double-sword wielder, some of Hero’s spells basically function the way I imagined Sora’s working if he got in Smash.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Outside of the thing regarding a double-sword wielder, some of Hero’s spells basically function the way I imagined Sora’s working if he got in Smash.
The command menu perfectly captures how clunky it is to use spells in the first KH game that's for sure. And you refill the MP bar by hitting the different fighters just like in the first KH.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord

Correct! I also wonder, does adding Hero affect Sora's chances of being playable in smash 6?

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Nah, Sora could happen for Smash 6 even if Hero and Cloud returns.
Although I think Reimu (Touhou) and Kyo (King of Fighters) are both better additions than Sora, Hero and Banjo. I still want Hero, Banjo, and Sora to be playable too.

D

Deleted member

Although I think Reimu (Touhou) and Kyo (King of Fighters) are both better additions than Sora, Hero and Banjo. I still want Hero, Banjo, and Sora to be playable too.
All of those picks are pretty cool, tbh.

I can see why you would like each one of them for sure.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
All of those picks are pretty cool, tbh.

I can see why you would like each one of them for sure.
Correct! And I agree with you all of those are must-haves. Although I don't know any of those characters very well, I still support them all.

Also, so far the only playable character in the fighters pass that was a heartbreaker to me was Joker/Ren. But I'm going to deal with it. Do you think I'm going to get more of the types of characters that I want to be playable in the future?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Correct! And I agree with you all of those are must-haves. Although I don't know any of those characters very well, I still support them all.

Also, so far the only playable character in the fighters pass that was a heartbreaker to me was Joker/Ren. But I'm going to deal with it. Do you think I'm going to get more of the types of characters that I want to be playable in the future?
What don't you like about joker? just curious

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
What don't you like about joker? just curious
Because he thinks Joker isn't iconic and Bomberman should get in before him. He never shuts up about it and it gets annoying. I wouldn't recommend going into that topic.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Because he thinks Joker isn't iconic and Bomberman should get in before him. He never shuts up about it and it gets annoying. I wouldn't recommend going into that topic.
It actually has nothing to do with Joker/Ren being less iconic than Bomberman, and I really want to stop complaining about Joker/Ren meriting to be an assist trophy instead of playable now.

To get back on topic, in contrast Hero and Banjo on the other hand were quite delightful to my point of view. I also hope we don't get another heartbreaker for DLC.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Heh ok.

So EVO just started! No Hero in the tournament, but still cool that it's finally here.

Looking forward to seeing how hero does in all the next tourneys tho, should be entertaining in any case ;p

D

Deleted member

Heh ok.

So EVO just started! No Hero in the tournament, but still cool that it's finally here.

Looking forward to seeing how hero does in all the next tourneys tho, should be entertaining in any case ;p
Yeah, I am excited to see top players do cool comebacks or moments with the character!

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice

Also, I noticed that Piranha Plant, Joker, and Hero, all released on weekdays. Hmm, maybe all DLC fighters are going to be released on weekdays.
Probably. Nintendo doesn't really do weekend releases.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Probably. Nintendo doesn't really do weekend releases.
Well, back in the good old days, Lucas, Roy and Ryu were in released for Smash 4 on sunday june 14th, 2015. So releases can occour on either weekdays or weekends.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Heh ok.

I'm looking forward to a tourney final ending with somebody getting thwacked at 0%.

I agree.

That command is too weak at the moment in my eyes.
Like the actual metal slash. God I love the attention of detail for Hero.

D

Deleted member

To be fair this is true, but I still wish it did extra damage to shields or something.
Maybe so. Given how Hero's designed, I think a few nonviable moves that only serves to give him charm is fine in my book.

I'm starting to get a hang on the down-b menu spells a bit more. I've found some interesting uses for some of them (i'm probably not the first to think about them, but i'll share them anyway):

Edgeguarding:
- Sizz and Sizzle are very good to snipe offstage opponents, the speed of the projectile doesn't give them much time to react.
- Kaboom's explosion hitbox can cover the whole ledge, preventing opponents from grabbing it/hitting them if they hold on to it without invincibility (and possibly taking their stock in the process, shooting it from midstage should do it, timing is a bit tricky).

Alternatives to Zoom, offstage, to help horizontal recovery:
- Keep your jump, check the menu for Acceleratle, it nearly triples the horizontal distance you can jump.
- Against aggressive edgeguarders, check the menu for Kacrackle Slash or Snooze while offstage (a bit risky, but there's a chance you'll take their stock). Kamikazee is also an option to consider (depending on the situation).
- Bounce completely nullifies Snake's Nikita edgeguarding/Up-Smash ledgetrapping gimmicks. Pretty useful against Peach/Daisy's turnips too.

Speaking of Bounce, it's good against a lot of characters but it's insanely good against Mega Man. About half of his moveset becomes useless.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Gushing a bit more over my thoughts on Hero. My biggest praise is how much is carried over from Dragon Quest. I got done with playing Dragon Quest 8 two months ago, and a lot of what I feel looks like it's carried over in Hero.

• Hatchet man looks satisfying to land but is incredibly unreliable
  • Metal slash is a completely situational attack that's only good for rare metal opponents
  • You can hit your head when casting zoom on ceilings (which was always my second favorite part about zoom)
  • Thwack is still the most bull**** spell to get hit by because you'll feel like you die more often than not
  • Kamikazee is a move that's never really recommended outside of reckless abandonment or for laughs
  • Bounce was always good for nullifying hard hitting spells against bosses
  • All of the sound effects that are carried over from the original games
It's **** like this that makes Hero way funner than I ever expected. He's a casual's dream.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
For anyone curious, the man who made this video on Dragon Quest XI:

that man, Tim Rogers, wrote this review a long time ago (it's dated August 15, 2008) on an old website (that he made with friends) on Dragon Quest V:

http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=391

I link it here because it's what got me into the Dragon Quest series, and I would have linked it earlier but back then the website was down. If this review hadn't been written, I probably would never have loved the series the way I do now and I would never have supported a Dragon Quest character for Smash the way I did. Just linking the review for anyone curious.

Disclaimer: It's a bit wordy and not everyone will like the writing style, but I ate it up years ago. The only dated part of the review is his description of "nice-guy composer Koichi Sugiyama" as it was written before all the bad stuff about him came out, so just keep that in mind if you decide to give it a read.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
So I've been playing around with Hero these past few days, and I absolutely love this character. Even if I don't have the dexterity to use the menu in a fast-paced battle most of the time, his spells are so fun to use and I can see him being a ton of fun in casual settings. I don't think the down B is too practical in competitive play, but damn if it isn't hilarious when you're just screwing around with friends. I feel morally obligated to use Hocus Pocus and Kamikaze whenever they appear regardless of how practical it is in that situation. I'll be sticking to Joker and Pokemon Trainer for competitive play, but I'll definitely pull out Hero whenever I'm playing with friends or just want to mess around online. Also anyone who wants to ban Hero is a weenie who just doesn't want to learn the matchup, git gud.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So I've been playing around with Hero these past few days, and I absolutely love this character. Even if I don't have the dexterity to use the menu in a fast-paced battle most of the time, his spells are so fun to use and I can see him being a ton of fun in casual settings. I don't think the down B is too practical in competitive play, but damn if it isn't hilarious when you're just screwing around with friends. I feel morally obligated to use Hocus Pocus and Kamikaze whenever they appear regardless of how practical it is in that situation. I'll be sticking to Joker and Pokemon Trainer for competitive play, but I'll definitely pull out Hero whenever I'm playing with friends or just want to mess around online. Also anyone who wants to ban Hero is a weenie who just doesn't want to learn the matchup, git gud.
I actually think quite a few times down-b is easier to use in 1v1 because there isn't a ton of people and items flying around making it hard to pick something.
You just have to know when to use it, which is when someone isn't close or shooting something :p

D

Deleted member

I actually think quite a few times down-b is easier to use in 1v1 because there isn't a ton of people and items flying around making it hard to pick something.
You just have to know when to use it, which is when someone isn't close or shooting something :p
Yeah, I also find it harder to use the menu in a match with items and/or multiple opponents.

There's so much going on that doesn't let you use the menu properly in those cases.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, I also find it harder to use the menu in a match with items and/or multiple opponents.

There's so much going on that doesn't let you use the menu properly in those cases.
Considering that they were made with casual in mind, it's weird that they didn't decide to make it easier to use or see the menu spells, but i guess a lot of people might just use the random first option (and end up with tons of stuff happening)

Like, my hero's portrait was always on the left side of the screen and last time I played it was on the right side and I found it really hard to look quickly at my menu. It'd really be easier if a more transparent menu also showed up above the fighter too.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Does anyone here think Hocus Pocus should have more beneficial effects? I'm not talking about potentially casting Kaboom for 4 MP, I'm talking about the good kinds of effects it can give you (Invisibility, invincibility, Giant mushroom effect, etc). Like, for example, what if it gives you a Metal Box effect? Or, what if it gives you a Curry effect? I feel if there are more buff effects that you can get out of Hocus Pocus, it could draw more people into casting it.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
It seems that the Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definite Edition game, available September 27 for the Nintendo Switch system, is receiving a demo on the Nintendo eShop sometime soon...

sorry, couldn't resist sounding like a shill

All jokes aside, I'm really excited for the game and can't wait to try out the demo.

Troykv

Smash Master
I think Thwack should have a threshold where the insta-kill just doesn't work (at least 50%, maybe higher); and maybe make Magic Burst more punisheable; but otherwise I don't see problems with them.

He has laggy attacks, and most of his good moves consume lots of mana.

D

Deleted member

It seems that the Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definite Edition game, available September 27 for the Nintendo Switch system, is receiving a demo on the Nintendo eShop sometime soon...

sorry, couldn't resist sounding like a shill

All jokes aside, I'm really excited for the game and can't wait to try out the demo.
I’m hyped for the demo too!

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'm waiting for the game proper and will skip the demo. That said, I have no doubts I will enjoy the game when it comes out in September.

On another note, because everyone near me has been too busy to play Smash with me, I've been replaying World of Light using The Hero. They're able to handle a ton of different situations the spirit fights present and I haven't had to switch to other characters yet. The spirits that use rushdown-centered characters give me the most trouble though, as the somewhat sluggish attack speed means they can get comboed into oblivion if I'm not careful.

D

Deleted member

Yeah!

just don't forget that it launches on September 27 for the retail price of $59.99 tho
I can even find the game cheaper at a store in my island.

I got UA3 for 45€ there.

Soon DQB2 for a similar price too.

Kronch

Smash Cadet
Playing as Hero with my Ganondorf-maining friend has been some of the funnest I've had with Smash in quite awhile. The matchup is very dynamic and surprisingly okay for Ganon. Hero is slow already, and when he uses down-B, Ganon tries to rush in and just obliterate Hero. But, at the same time, Hero can use any of his spells to stop Ganon from running at him like a truck. Ganon also can literally do nothing about Kamikaze or Magic Burst- he's just too slow to get out of the blast radii. It's one of the dumbest matchups I've ever seen, and it's amazing.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Could someone please explain why we got those beautiful orchestrated tracks in The Hero’s reveal trailer but not the game? That is just so bizarre to me. If this composer was such an asshole why did he allow those tracks in their trailer?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Could someone please explain why we got those beautiful orchestrated tracks in The Hero’s reveal trailer but not the game? That is just so bizarre to me. If this composer was such an ******* why did he allow those tracks in their trailer?
Because sometimes Smash trailers need something fitting and presentable for a character's trailer. Joker's also featured a song that ultimately wasn't in the final game for no particular reason.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Because sometimes Smash trailers need something fitting and presentable for a character's trailer. Joker's also featured a song that ultimately wasn't in the final game for no particular reason.
Same with Ryu, same with Cloud (Bombing Mission intro).

Plus Sugiyama tends to get particularly pickier with spinoffs for some reason.

Top Bottom