• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes Draw Near. Command? (Hero Social Thread)

Not counting newcomers/echoes, which kind of DQ content would you like in future Smash games?

• Assist throphies (i.e. Slime/Slime Family, Golems, Killer Machines, Party Members)

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Mii costumes (Alena, Torneko, Yangus, Priest)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Stages to show more DQ worlds

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • New tracks and arrangements

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • A boss (i.e. Dragonlord, Estark, Bjørn)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More Hero Alts (either male or female)

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • More cameos

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Items (Chimera wing for example)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

PKEarthbound

Smash Cadet
NNID
okeyylmao
3DS FC
3969-7077-0272
I already posted this in abother thread, but I’m currently on mobile and can’t find a way to delete my post lmao.

Just tried him out today, and he’s a SUPER slow character. Not in terms of ground or air speed, but in terms of how quickly his moves come out and how much end/startup lag they have. I think the only real moves that didn’t feel too heavy were U-Air, N-Air, and his jab. Though his smash attacks and overall range aren’t bad in terms of strength and range, so I guess it sort of balances it out. Considering all the RNG that’s been built into this character though, all it really takes is one move to either make or break you. Don’t know how to feel about that, really. Also, it seems as if most of his Down Special’s spells can be interrupted (including Magic Burst, even though it’s a decently high risk move?), except for Kamikazee I think. :/

Last edited:

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
One nice little thing I noticed is that you can select the commands with the d pad, the attention to detail is really insane with this character and I love him

GolisoPower

Smash Master
One nice little thing I noticed is that you can select the commands with the d pad, the attention to detail is really insane with this character and I love him
The d pad? As in, the taunt buttons? If that’s the case, then this could help his viability.

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
The d pad? As in, the taunt buttons? If that’s the case, then this could help his viability.
Yep, it definitely makes it easier to get the command I want. Though I don’t feel it will help viability all that much. This is more of an accommodation I feel. It's funny cause I did it out of instinct and didn't realize I was using the taunt buttons.

lukinator1

Smash Apprentice
i can confirm the sis the most rediculous character in the game, some of his spells do %30 and he's all based around rng

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ok, played a bunch!
Here's my impressions so far:

Movement: Pretty slow, a bit like link.

A attacks:
Jab: good enough.
D-tilt: Slower to finish than I thought, it's alright but this could be the best poke tool & lowers hurtbox, but not that great.
F-tilt: Really good, comes out quick. but laggy to finish as well. (Doesnt seem like there's any move that's really good to safely poke.)
Up-tilt: Honestly the best A attack. So fast to come out, good range and hit box.

Smash attacks: Up-smash sucks, but forward smash is so ****ing good. A little too good with crits, feels cheap to me. Down smash is fine.

B specials:
B: A nice little fireball, slow but doesnt cost much and apparently can combo when closer. Charged versions seem ok but i didnt find myself using it that much.
Side-B: Zap is actually so freaking good. It's so quick and travels quick too. It has good hitstun and fully charged kills really early, but takes so much mp. I really like level 1 and 2.
Up-B: Good up-b, really. Decent to recover and nice hit with it. And actually a good out of shield option if there's a platform above.

Down-B: Wow, it really is hard to master this thing. I dont think anyone should be saying that it's op at all. It's so hard to use it fast in combat and read the options and change to them in time.
Some spells arent as balanced, either being very good or very bad, but that's part of the fun. I think it can be good, and the rng will definitely be funny, but it also makes it so hard to quickly see which ones are there and to use them. I dont think it was the best idea for a fast-paced action game, but someone who's mentally on point should be able to do some really interesting things with it in battle.
-It's definitely not broken unless someone could really use it well and fast. But If you go at it too quickly you can end up killing yourself or getting in a bad position. Acceleratle is awesome tho XD It's just not reliable cuz it doesnt always show up.

Overall: Because I do like characters with good movement, I can't see myself maining hero, but the spell mechanics is definitely fun to try to play with and win, so it'll definitely help keeping things not mundane. I can't tell if the character will be top tier, but someone who can master the spell mechanics could definitely take the character far. And the crits could randomly win matches, especially with snooze to help. (and snooze can actually make someone fall offstage from the air sometimes, that seems a little too good, but they might have to be high percent). Feels like the bulk of the good stuff is in the spells.

Fun character, with crazy strengths, but has definite weaknesses (like against rushdown).

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Hocus Pokus is so stupid, I'll use it whenever it shows up.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
Love the character, I definitely prefer characters with good airials (like Joker), but Hero is definitely my favorite "heavy projectile sword character" (Link, Robin) out of the bunch. RNG is gonna take awhile to get used to but I still have fun with him.

Online is still garbage with 4 players though. 2 players (for me at least) and it works decently but anything more than that... my God. Ultimate would be an 11/10 game with a decent online.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't think I'll main Hero like I main Robin, but I can definitely see myself trying them out until the next interesting fighter. There's just so much fun you get by not taking Command Selection seriously and three chargeable specials give them a lot of replayability even without it.

D

Deleted member

Just got to try the Hero as well. His spell repertoire is quite fun but regular attacks seem hard to connect sometimes, overall I'll find myself playing him more often than not as he feels like a bit more aggressive Link with the succesful hits restoring MP.

Kacrackle slash is fun to use and easy to combo with another attack as well.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
So does Kalang defend against Final Smashes? I was fighting a CPU Yoshi that wouldn't use its Final Smash on me while I had the effect on. I don't know if that means it doesn't work, or if it just means the AI was being dumb When I was a Sitting Duck.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So does Kalang defend against Final Smashes? I was fighting a CPU Yoshi that wouldn't use its Final Smash on me while I had the effect on. I don't know if that means it doesn't work, or if it just means the AI was being dumb When I was a Sitting Duck.
I think so, it was invulnerable against everything except metal slash when we played. Can't get out of it tho, so watch out for other heroes around. ;p

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Just got to try the Hero as well. His spell repertoire is quite fun but regular attacks seem hard to connect sometimes, overall I'll find myself playing him more often than not as he feels like a bit more aggressive Link with the succesful hits restoring MP.

Kacrackle slash is fun to use and easy to combo with another attack as well.
No joke, I won an online match against a very competent Ken with 3 lucky down b moves, all really broken cheesy ones, taking stock one with Magic Burst, I don't remember what got him the second time, but it was equally cheesy, and finally a Kakrackle Slash of the edge at high % as he plummeted off stage to his demise. He must've been seething.

DarkDream

Smash Apprentice
Man i really wanted to love him, but competitively this character is bad. Like bad bad.

-His buttons are too weak and too small to be as slow as they are when others can do what his nair and fair does but much better.

-90% of his down b moves can be beaten by pressing the jump button.

-terrible grab range

-rngsus determines if you live or die

-horrible in disadvantage

-literally can't recover if he has no mp

-bad normals makes it hard to recover mp.

He loses to better zoning and better rush down. It's p sad overall. Especially since he could be fixed pretty easy by making his A button moves faster and making it so that selecting a spell turns the next use of neutral b into that spell instead of instant access while he stays stationary.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Ok, played a bunch!
Here's my impressions so far:

Movement: Pretty slow, a bit like link.

A attacks:
Jab: good enough.
D-tilt: Slower to finish than I thought, it's alright but this could be the best poke tool & lowers hurtbox, but not that great.
F-tilt: Really good, comes out quick. but laggy to finish as well. (Doesnt seem like there's any move that's really good to safely poke.)
Up-tilt: Honestly the best A attack. So fast to come out, good range and hit box.

Smash attacks: Up-smash sucks, but forward smash is so ****ing good. A little too good with crits, feels cheap to me. Down smash is fine.

B specials:
B: A nice little fireball, slow but doesnt cost much and apparently can combo when closer. Charged versions seem ok but i didnt find myself using it that much.
Side-B: Zap is actually so freaking good. It's so quick and travels quick too. It has good hitstun and fully charged kills really early, but takes so much mp. I really like level 1 and 2.
Up-B: Good up-b, really. Decent to recover and nice hit with it. And actually a good out of shield option if there's a platform above.

Down-B: Wow, it really is hard to master this thing. I dont think anyone should be saying that it's op at all. It's so hard to use it fast in combat and read the options and change to them in time.
Some spells arent as balanced, either being very good or very bad, but that's part of the fun. I think it can be good, and the rng will definitely be funny, but it also makes it so hard to quickly see which ones are there and to use them. I dont think it was the best idea for a fast-paced action game, but someone who's mentally on point should be able to do some really interesting things with it in battle.
-It's definitely not broken unless someone could really use it well and fast. But If you go at it too quickly you can end up killing yourself or getting in a bad position. Acceleratle is awesome tho XD It's just not reliable cuz it doesnt always show up.

Overall: Because I do like characters with good movement, I can't see myself maining hero, but the spell mechanics is definitely fun to try to play with and win, so it'll definitely help keeping things not mundane. I can't tell if the character will be top tier, but someone who can master the spell mechanics could definitely take the character far. And the crits could randomly win matches, especially with snooze to help. (and snooze can actually make someone fall offstage from the air sometimes, that seems a little too good, but they might have to be high percent). Feels like the bulk of the good stuff is in the spells.

Fun character, with crazy strengths, but has definite weaknesses (like against rushdown).
These are all the same impressions I got, too, especially with Woosh being a really good out of shield option as it comes out really quickly. Acceleratle actually showed up for me a ton, and it's great cuz you can briefly feel like Shulk's speed and jump Monado Arts put together with no drawbacks.

Something I tried to do for about 10 minutes straight in Training mode was to see if Psych Up could stack with another Psych Up, and see if the Smash team hid the ability for The Hero to reach "max tension" like in Dragon Quest VIII, but unfortunately Psych Up is removed from the spell list once it's active.

My favorite spell is Bounce, solely because I always have trouble fighting Link, and it felt satisfying to no longer have to deal with his 3 projectiles all onscreen at once trapping me in flinch status. It was cool to see it help against Rathalos and Robin in the Classic route, too. I was also surprised at how effective Sizz and Sizzle could be too when they showed up. Those spells travel -fast- and they hit pretty hard too.

I agree with side B in particular being extremely good. Sooo much versatility with the different levels of Zap, and I love using Kazap as a fast, powerful keep away tool, and Kazapple as a non Final Smash version of Gigaslash. But I guess it makes sense for side B to be so good since Hero class characters are usually the only ones who wield Zap magic anyway.

Though the RNG behind Command Menu is unfortunate, The Hero is otherwise the single most comfortable fighter I've ever played in Smash besides Cloud and Lucas. Feels great to find another character who "fits you" so to speak.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
What do you think about the people who want to ban hero and leffen who started a request to ban hero before he even left

By the way the probability that a smash attack is critical is 1/8

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What do you think about the people who want to ban hero and lefy who started a request to ban hero before he even left
People who jumped the gun on the craziness of all the spells. It's really hard to use all the spells well. And there's also situations where hero has trouble, especially on stages without platforms. Pressure works well against hero, tho on the ground or landing with an attack, because -n-air does work well when they're in the air.

These are all the same impressions I got, too, especially with Woosh being a really good out of shield option as it comes out really quickly. Acceleratle actually showed up for me a ton, and it's great cuz you can briefly feel like Shulk's speed and jump Monado Arts put together with no drawbacks.

Something I tried to do for about 10 minutes straight in Training mode was to see if Psych Up could stack with another Psych Up, and see if the Smash team hid the ability for The Hero to reach "max tension" like in Dragon Quest VIII, but unfortunately Psych Up is removed from the spell list once it's active.

My favorite spell is Bounce, solely because I always have trouble fighting Link, and it felt satisfying to no longer have to deal with his 3 projectiles all onscreen at once trapping me in flinch status. It was cool to see it help against Rathalos and Robin in the Classic route, too. I was also surprised at how effective Sizz and Sizzle could be too when they showed up. Those spells travel -fast- and they hit pretty hard too.

I agree with side B in particular being extremely good. Sooo much versatility with the different levels of Zap, and I love using Kazap as a fast, powerful keep away tool, and Kazapple as a non Final Smash version of Gigaslash. But I guess it makes sense for side B to be so good since Hero class characters are usually the only ones who wield Zap magic anyway.

Though the RNG behind Command Menu is unfortunate, The Hero is otherwise the single most comfortable fighter I've ever played in Smash besides Cloud and Lucas. Feels great to find another character who "fits you" so to speak.
Yeah Sizz and Sizzle are super fast, definitely one of the fastest projectiles and has some great hits with it too. It's not bad to use when you're a good ways away from the others because you can have time to get out of down-b too.

I'm finding that it's actually hard to get out of it when too close (against decent people), it has a bit too much time before you can shield or jump out of it when they're close. If you dont have a slash skill, nothing is fast enough to do something up close.

Zap works great mid-ish range (well a tad closer), but if you have time to charge, kazap is great.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Played him a good ammount in single player and online.
Here's a tl;dr

As a sword character, he's extremely satisfying to play.
My only complaint is his overall mobility especially the air speed.

His specials are amazing. I use Kafrizz a lot to punish landings. It’s slow therefore more effective for this. I also use Frizzle a lot because it has decent range and power. Frizz is the one I use the least.

Zap is hard for me. The first one kind of sucks. But second one is amazing and third one is the best. I even used it to cover a big part of the edge and got a KO out of it.

Down+B is something I’m going to focus less until I really get the hang of the character.

The Buffs are the best moves.
The long ranged projectiles are 2nd best.
Slashes are hard to land but cool.
And the misc ones are fun.

I don’t Think Hero has true combos, but I did manage to connect Up throw to up air a lot.

I struggle a lot vs other sword characters though. Maybe it’s just my fundamentals that are lacking.

But all in all, Hero is the most fun character I’ve played in a while. And I’m definitely sticking to him no matter what.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
No matter which version of The Hero you're playing, if Kirby inhales you, he gains Arusu / Erdrick's circlet on his head. Interesting...

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
People who jumped the gun on the craziness of all the spells. It's really hard to use all the spells well. And there's also situations where hero has trouble, especially on stages without platforms. Pressure works well against hero, tho on the ground or landing with an attack, because -n-air does work well when they're in the air.

Yeah Sizz and Sizzle are super fast, definitely one of the fastest projectiles and has some great hits with it too. It's not bad to use when you're a good ways away from the others because you can have time to get out of down-b too.

I'm finding that it's actually hard to get out of it when too close (against decent people), it has a bit too much time before you can shield or jump out of it when they're close. If you dont have a slash skill, nothing is fast enough to do something up close.

Zap works great mid-ish range (well a tad closer), but if you have time to charge, kazap is great.
The truth is that if the hero is clear that he is good but not broken, I don't even think he is the best character, he has several weaknesses. I guess this may be another case of saying that x character is broken like with a joker when he started using MKleo o king k rool at the beginning of the game

Played him a good ammount in single player and online.
Here's a tl;dr

As a sword character, he's extremely satisfying to play.
My only complaint is his overall mobility especially the air speed.

His specials are amazing. I use Kafrizz a lot to punish landings. It’s slow therefore more effective for this. I also use Frizzle a lot because it has decent range and power. Frizz is the one I use the least.

Zap is hard for me. The first one kind of sucks. But second one is amazing and third one is the best. I even used it to cover a big part of the edge and got a KO out of it.

Down+B is something I’m going to focus less until I really get the hang of the character.

The Buffs are the best moves.
The long ranged projectiles are 2nd best.
Slashes are hard to land but cool.
And the misc ones are fun.

I don’t Think Hero has true combos, but I did manage to connect Up throw to up air a lot.

I struggle a lot vs other sword characters though. Maybe it’s just my fundamentals that are lacking.

But all in all, Hero is the most fun character I’ve played in a while. And I’m definitely sticking to him no matter what.
It's a pretty funny character, by the way, a combo that I've seen is down-trow and then neutral air, you have to get a little forward to do it

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
No matter which version of The Hero you're playing, if Kirby inhales you, he gains Arusu / Erdrick's circlet on his head. Interesting...
Hmm... makes me wonder if Erdrick was the original default Hero before they made Eleven the default Hero to promote DQ11.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Hmm... makes me wonder if Erdrick was the original default Hero before they made Eleven the default Hero to promote DQ11.
I feel like this is likely. Even the trailer, while focusing on 11, actually shows off Arusu like he's the savior of them all lol so i wouldnt be surprised, barring obvious Dragon Quest spoilers.

D

Deleted member

“Hey, I heard you had trouble with a certain dragon from space”
E6561882-AFBF-4E09-B346-3A40D2903FDF.jpeg

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
So I've given him a go and here's what I think:
His crits come out a little too regularly, they need to be done down. And maybe a few spells need to cost a little bit more. Also they should remove Kamikaze from Hocus Pocus, replace it with a "take sudden damage" like some of the spirit battles have.
Though serious stuff aside, I really like him. He's fun to play and his playstyle really speaks to me, possibly my new main. I should probably try out Dragon Quest.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Link is the same, I wouldn't read too much into it. They probably just didn't want to add yet another wig.

D

Deleted member

Hero isn't as broken as people say, tbh.

Sure, I am winning a lot as him... But I also have it pretty easy to beat every lvl9 Hero CPU I fight with my other mains without much worry.

I think that after a few days most people will have an easier time fighting the character if they really try.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Has anyone seen the full spirit loadout yet? I'm still unsure whether they added IV and VIII stuff at all.

Ugh, this means I'm using inaccurate fan art again. Looks like I'm gonna have to do research...

D

Deleted member

Has anyone seen the full spirit loadout yet? I'm still unsure whether they added IV and VIII stuff at all.

Ugh, this means I'm using inaccurate fan art again. Looks like I'm gonna have to do research...
I did.

No DQVIII or IV stuff besides the alternate fighter spirits for Eight and Solo.

Still awesome that we got official art for them in the games unlike Cloud doh.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

-Hero (Dragon Quest 11)
-Hero (Dragon Quest 3)
-Hero (Dragon Quest 4)
-Hero (Dragon Quest 8)
-Slime, which can be enhanced into...
-King Slime
-Dracky
-Golem
-Liquid Metal Slime
-Great Sabrecub, which can be enhanced into...
-Great Sabrecat
-Cetacea
-Hero's Companions (Dragon Quest 11)

Most of it is what we knew from finding it on Nintendo's site, with the possible exception of Liquid Metal Slime (I can't remember if that was found or not, though it was shown in yesterday's presentation).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I did.

No DQVIII or IV stuff besides the alternate fighter spirits for Eight and Solo.

Still awesome that we got official art for them in the games unlike Cloud doh.
Criminy. Oh well, at least Slime got some good service here, so people will want him to be upgraded from a background character in the future. Jess didn't even get a costume.

And yeah, I reiterate that danged ordinary monsters got more acknowledgement than FF summons.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Small fun detail that I found worth to share:

Counting each single Fighter Spirit, DQ has as many spirits as Persona in Smash Ultimate.

Voe

Smash Journeyman
God this character is so much fun. :laugh:

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Played a bunch of Hero. REALLY don't like him. Which sucks because it was one of my most requested characters.

The Down+B is useless because of A. Randomness. B. Awkward menu navigation. C. Once you start using the menu, you're stuck there till you use a move. It's the most telegraphed move in history.

The mana also sucks. The fact that you can't even use your recovery move if you're out of MP blows.

I get that they were going for fanservice, but all these RPG mechanics make the character no fun to play. That's why none of the other JRPG characters use them...

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So lemme ask, what’s the general thesis on Yggdrasil’s Altar in terms of stage legality?

Hazards off, I’d say it’s pretty good. The more solid platforms are farther away from the main platform and below it, the platform layouts above it seem good enough and the blast lines don’t seem that far apart (at least not to me). It’s like if Umbra Clock Tower had a Halberd-style beginning that wasn’t a walk-off and is more tourney-friendly. Though time will tell if it turns out to rarely be used in tournaments a la Mementos.

D

Deleted member

So lemme ask, what’s the general thesis on Yggdrasil’s Altar in terms of stage legality?

Hazards off, I’d say it’s pretty good. The more solid platforms are farther away from the main platform and below it, the platform layouts above it seem good enough and the blast lines don’t seem that far apart (at least not to me). It’s like if Umbra Clock Tower had a Halberd-style beginning that wasn’t a walk-off and is more tourney-friendly. Though time will tell if it turns out to rarely be used in tournaments a la Mementos.
Yeah, hazardless Yggdrasil’s could be considered legal.

Good blast lines and not many odd layouts for competitive players.

Top Bottom