• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes Draw Near. Command? (Hero Social Thread)

Not counting newcomers/echoes, which kind of DQ content would you like in future Smash games?

• Assist throphies (i.e. Slime/Slime Family, Golems, Killer Machines, Party Members)

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Mii costumes (Alena, Torneko, Yangus, Priest)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Stages to show more DQ worlds

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • New tracks and arrangements

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • A boss (i.e. Dragonlord, Estark, Bjørn)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More Hero Alts (either male or female)

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • More cameos

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Items (Chimera wing for example)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm so happy to see that Dragon Quest seems to have gotten so much love from Sakurai and his team. I kind of wish the spell menu wasn't just random... but I can't really complain when they seem to have faithfully implemented 20 spells from the games into his character. No wonder it took so long to see him finally drop. While it didn't quite get the love that Persona did in terms of music or Spirits, there's still a very respectable number of them here and they seem like mostly solid choices from what I know of these games. It's amazing how much more impressive Ultimate seems to be with DLC over Smash 4 with how much attention has been paid to every little element and quality of representation.

And I say this as someone who was probably more against Dragon Quest just a year ago, but then I looked into it and started paying attention and played some of the games (I've yet to beat any of them, I'll get on that... eventually...). And I came to really, really respect this charming series and everything it is. I'm glad Smash has brought another series to my life, and it looks incredibly well done in Smash too.

Now, when's the damn update going to drop lol?
Considering the sheer amount of spells, i think the randomness of it makes it more balanced :p

I also think they didn't show all of the spirits. Cuz didn't people find other ones that weren't shown?

Hopefully as soon as news about the time of release gets out somewhere, someone'll post about it.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I also think they didn't show all of the spirits. Cuz didn't people find other ones that weren't shown?
Like the King Slime and Sabrecat? This kind of supports the theory that some Dragon Quest spirits will be enhanceable.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Considering the sheer amount of spells, i think the randomness of it makes it more balanced :p

Hopefully as soon as news about the time of release gets out somewhere, someone'll post about it.
Fair on balance... though I think I would have preferred if maybe they like had an extra mechanic were you could press the down taunt to change Spell lists with consistency and maybe wrangle the spells back in power/effectiveness a bit just so that there was more consistency. I don't know, I like it but also have my concerns I guess, and I really just need to see it in action.

I'm pretty sure the only other Spirit was the Sabercat enhanced or something of the sort. The rest all seemed to be accounted for in the Spirit Board and when Joker was unveiled in April they showed his complete Spirit Board in the presentation, so I'm inclined to think this is the entire thing for Dragon Quest (Not that I mind, Spirits don't really interest me a ton and the fact we have this many is still a bit of a surprise in its own right haha).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
To be honest, I like the gambling factor, even if it'll be drawback in competitive play. :p

I do think with so many spells it'll be a bit annoying if I can't get to the buff i want, but it might also make for a very adaptive playstyle.
I'm also just glad that attacking recovers a lot of mp. I was a bit worried about mp recovery since there's a lot of good spells. So that's one thing that's better than i thought.

I thought for sure there'd be other spirits and also human ones. Oh well.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
To be honest, I like the gambling factor, even if it'll be drawback in competitive play. :p

I do think with so many spells it'll be a bit annoying if I can't get to the buff i want, but it might also make for a very adaptive playstyle.
I'm also just glad that attacking recovers a lot of mp. I was a bit worried about mp recovery since there's a lot of good spells. So that's one thing that's better than i thought.

I thought for sure there'd be other spirits and also human ones. Oh well.

Its funny to me how so many people see it as a horrible as a horrible thing to play against (all the comments on the internet saying "BAN HIM") When in reality its actually a huge tradeoff for having literally 21 spells in one button allocation. It will take some getting used to, but there are people out there who will put the effort in to minimize the RNG issue and learn how to prioritize his specials.

I think its a very interesting mechanic, and people need to literally play the character first before crapping on it.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Liquid Metal Slime is gonna be Tiny Metal Inkling (cuz of their running animation) with enhanced speed. It's gonna be a timed stamina match that awards a ton of gold and SP.

D

Deleted member

Liquid Metal Slime is gonna be Tiny Metal Inkling (cuz of their running animation) with enhanced speed. It's gonna be a timed stamina match that awards a ton of gold and SP.
I would grind the hell out of that battle if that's the case, lol.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Its funny to me how so many people see it as a horrible as a horrible thing to play against (all the comments on the internet saying "BAN HIM") When in reality its actually a huge tradeoff for having literally 21 spells in one button allocation. It will take some getting used to, but there are people out there who will put the effort in to minimize the RNG issue and learn how to prioritize his specials.

I think its a very interesting mechanic, and people need to literally play the character first before crapping on it.
Yeah People havent realized how hard it'll be to look at which spells are there on the fly, and being able to use a good one at the right time.
It's going to be a very odd character to play, but potentially very fun :)

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Just realized I can make a mii fighter that looks like Yamcha from early Dragonball thanks to the martial artist outfit. Hell yeah, Yamcha is my favorite DB character so this is awesome.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think the update could be coming soon, from what people have been saying. I dont really know tho.

Edit: downloading !

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
The female Heroes didn't show up after all, *sigh*

At least we have a Veronica Mii costume, and the Martial Artist Mii can be female, I guess.
Yea, that’s a real bummer. I’m honestly surprised they weren’t included. Sakurai has been big about that lately. It’s kind of messed up.
It's only the spells that are used with Down B that are random, and you can shield to change the list.
I understand that. The random element of the down b is just a bit weird to me. It’ll be difficult to be able to use what you need for any given situation. Looks fun mind you, but it’ll be inconsistent competitively speaking.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Damn I feel really bad for you hero mains
Yeahhhh, first impressions are that neutral is slow. My brother mains a mean Mii Gunner and I couldn't approach him whatsoever.

On that note, currently in server crash hell; can't get Hero myself, but I played him a bit on my brother's system.

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Nevermind managed to do a little bit with him. His crit smash does 44 damage. Can kill Roy at about 60% near ledge without crit (22% dmg). So he's got some power it seems. His jab seems pretty good though but couldn't tell for certain. Very sluggish aerials though, like landing lag is pretty bad on F-air and decent on N-air. BUT there is no landing lag on SH Up-air at all. D-tilt may be able to combo into F-air. Fully charged Neutral-B does 37% damage and killed Roy at 45% near ledge. Fully charged side-B killed Roy at 28% at ledge. Up-air combos into itself, registers as true. I'm fond of his edge guarding capabilities. D-throw combos into F-air upwards of around 55% (don't believe it's true combo).

My assumption. Yeah he's a little slower like Link... but this boy can hit HARD.

Last edited:

Kronch

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I not only love how he plays (maybe being a former K. Rool main helps with that- I never had combos anyways!) but I'm also planning on getting DQ XI on Switch when that comes out!

Thanks for getting me interested in this character, y'all.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Few things I’ve found out: Hocus Pocus sucks. Either hurts you, creates item effects, or uses a random spell. Metal strike kills enemies that have the green box item. Bouce and Zoom are freaking broken... if you happen to come across them at the right time. Lol he’s going to be so inconsistent!

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Yeahhhh, first impressions are that neutral is slow. My brother mains a mean Mii Gunner and I couldn't approach him whatsoever.

On that note, currently in server crash hell; can't get Hero myself, but I played him a bit on my brother's system.
He's so slow and his moves either don't work or don't combo well. The menu is just suck and frizz/electric spells are cool but we already have ness, lucas and robin for that

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Damn I feel really bad for you hero mains
Keep in mind, he's only been out for an hour and a half. Early impressions are tricky. Remember when Piranha Plant and K. Rool were thought to be potential top tiers?

That being said, Hero does have a higher learning curve than most other characters. Learning to control the Command Window by being able to access important spells on the fly will be useful.

Kronch

Smash Cadet
Cloud was also thought to be a low tier when he came out in Sm4sh. Look what happened there...

D

Deleted member

I already mastered the character lol.

I’ve beated a good number of lvl9 cpus already.

Now I go to sleep. More tomorrow!

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Keep in mind, he's only been out for an hour and a half. Early impressions are tricky. Remember when Piranha Plant and K. Rool were thought to be potential top tiers?

That being said, Hero does have a higher learning curve than most other characters. Learning to control the Command Window by being able to access important spells on the fly will be useful.
No one thought plant was top tier that was a circle jerk that got out of hand I thought he was complete and utter trash, look what happened he IS trash

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I played through the new Spirit Board and Hero's classic mode. I tried to stick with Hero throughout the spirit board since that seemed fitting, switching between the costumes, but for the Legendary fight, I went with my old standby of spamming smash attacks with Ganondorf after many failed attempts with Hero. (Skull Kid with Majora's Mask spirit works wonders, since his effect is Lifesteal)

I found the final boss of Hero's classic mode frustrating, given how their hitboxes interact; all of Hero's Smash attacks just barely missed his final boss while the boss is moving. I'll need some time to figure out how his down B works (how to navigate the menu, especially in the heat of battle), but Hero seems all right so far.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Man, I like all of Hero except for that down Special, it’s honestly one of the worst designed moves in the entire game which is a massive shame given that the spells themselves are extremely interesting, but having to speed read a random list of moves is a HUGE pain in the ass, especially in battles with more than four people

D

Deleted member

Still havent been able to get home and play, out of curiosity, who is the final boss in the classic mode?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I absolutely love that the final boss for Hero is a clear reference to Dragon Lord with Robin and a Giant Charizard

Still havent been able to get home and play, out of curiosity, who is the final boss in the classic mode?
See above. Rathalos acts as a midboss

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
No one thought plant was top tier that was a circle jerk that got out of hand I thought he was complete and utter trash, look what happened he IS trash
Just because you were correct about Piranha Plant doesn't automatically mean you are going to be correct about Hero. Besides, a lot of people who were raving about Piranha Plant had their reasons for doing so. No one knows what way the character's place in the meta will develop once we get more hands on experience with the character. Perhaps someone finds a way to manipulate the RNG to ensure that Command Window only produces the best spells?

Blue Robin on Omega Dracula's Castle. Once you defeat him he becomes a giant blue Charizard.

Rathalos is the third battle in classic.

Top Bottom