• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Hero-King's Council: Video Analysis

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice

I would like critique or advice here if needed, even though I won this match.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Yeah I try to avoid DB on a floaty character at those percents. So when you got the 2 grabs near the end, did you not think Uthrow would kill?
No I thought she would barely live, looking back I guess it may have.
There were a few times when you hit Rosalina up/away and the luma stayed behind, and you just kinda sat there focusing on the Rosa, but you definitely should have gotten the quick kill on the luma (or at least some percent on it). This will also help prevent things like 2:35 from happening...
2:35 was super lame. I forget killing luma helps tremendously, like that should always be the sub goal, I'm still unsure what move to use to get rid of luma that's not summer laggy.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Murdering the monstrosity called Luma...

Hmm, safe ones would be Nair (works amazing because even sour has good BKB, too bad Luma is short), Ftilt (tip), and jab 2 (any hit). Also Dtilt (higher percents, since you want tumble KB). DB is obviously only safe if Rosa is caught in it and if you don't move past luma. DB 4 down works great too.

Unsafe...Dash attack (perfect KB on any hit except the really weak one at the arm/hilt), Fsmash, SB, DS, counter, Fair/Bair (unsafe compared to Nair and less BKB so why bother), Dsmash (no one ever EVER try this)

Last edited:

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
SoS #5 Winner's Bracket, Nicko (Marth) vs Mr. R (Sheik) [Hell of a match]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c68hpJWd4w
Loser's Semis, Nicko (Marth) vs Void (Monster of a Sheik)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqTafRVfCd0

Also here's some great custom Marth matches by Airvault who has the best application of Crescent Slash I've seen and according to commentators is the second best player in Arizona.
SoS #6 Winner's Bracket, Airvault (Marth) vs Bam (Sonic)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpiWm33A2ac
Winner's Bracket, Airvault (Marth) vs Void (Sheik)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjHBAIJxs4Y
Loser's Quarters, Airvault (Marth) vs Vinnie (Sheik)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d76OGbl5Ul4

Overall, this is some amazing stuff coming out of California against most of the best Sheiks in the world.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
SoS #5 Winner's Bracket, Nicko (Marth) vs Mr. R (Sheik) [Hell of a match]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c68hpJWd4w
Loser's Semis, Nicko (Marth) vs Void (Monster of a Sheik)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqTafRVfCd0

Also here's some great custom Marth matches by Airvault who has the best application of Crescent Slash I've seen and according to commentators is the second best player in Arizona.
SoS #6 Winner's Bracket, Airvault (Marth) vs Bam (Sonic)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpiWm33A2ac
Winner's Bracket, Airvault (Marth) vs Void (Sheik)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjHBAIJxs4Y
Loser's Quarters, Airvault (Marth) vs Vinnie (Sheik)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d76OGbl5Ul4

Overall, this is some amazing stuff coming out of California against most of the best Sheiks in the world.
Nicko is really good. Looks like he's not a fan of CS or DB.

Airvault with the tipper Dsmash. Showing CS is still king of the Marth up Bs.

Admiral_Dante

Smash Apprentice
Nicko is really good. Looks like he's not a fan of CS or DB.

Airvault with the tipper Dsmash. Showing CS is still king of the Marth up Bs.
Nicko airdodges way too much. Granted, Sheik kinda does that to everyone...

Good stuff from Airvault. I just don't think he used jab enough and he missed a few followup opportunities vs Vinnie but that happens. CS makes marth so scary, it could've gone either way. Especially if he got a grab on the platform on smashville...

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
http://www.twitch.tv/210smash/b/679950906 KJ vs Paw at 9:15 (Marth vs Zss)

I've always thought this mu was doable, and definitely not Marth's worst (think that belongs to a sheik that knows the mu) , but never had a match recorded vs a good ZSS. Alot of my shieldgrabs were me attempting to upsmash OoS.

I wonder if I had gotten a grab at the very end if it would've KO'd?

EDIT: I also played Dabuz's sheik last night and 6wx's sonic, saved those matches and will put them up when I can.

Last edited:

A_Kae

Smash Ace
http://www.twitch.tv/210smash/b/679950906 KJ vs Paw at 9:15 (Marth vs Zss)

I've always thought this mu was doable, and definitely not Marth's worst (think that belongs to a sheik that knows the mu) , but never had a match recorded vs a good ZSS. Alot of my shieldgrabs were me attempting to upsmash OoS.

I wonder if I had gotten a grab at the very end if it would've KO'd?
When both Emblem Lord and Shaya say that ZSS is our worst matchup, I just have to agree. My own experience points to it being the case as well. Sheik is bad, of course, but ZSS's tether just makes everything so much worse. If it weren't for the tether grab, I'd say that Sheik would be the worst.

U-throw plus a couple of pummels would have actually killed there. 130-135 with you at 100% should be a kill, by my calculations.

Anyways, you played well there. Good showing of what Marth is capable of.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Definitely had Uthrow with this stage's lowish ceiling. Also don't think you DI'ed her up B correct that first stock. Didn't look like you DIed that down. This was definitely a match you should've won. That ZSS didn't look that great.

Admiral_Dante

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

Admiral_Dante

Smash Apprentice
Okay that's go to see. There is another video that shows you DI down when near the side blast zones and IIRC it does better than down and in.
Weird... You're supposed to DI perpendicular to the initial trajectory and toward the corner in general when you get hit, so that would be down and away when you're getting hit by the last hit of boost kicks.

Near the blast zone you're pretty much screwed no matter how you DI, you'll either die off the top or the side. You can only hope to DI out of the boost kick's final hit... Which is apparently dependent on how the ZSS spaces it and how they DI while doing it.

Hey, could I get some input here. The commentators pointed some things out, but feel free to re-iterate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQMXDJ8VTkA
I wrote up a whole spiel on this matchup somewhere, but basically it all revolves around gimping Ness and avoiding getting PKT2'd. Unfortunately that didn't happen in these matches...

Definitely a tough matchup for Marth, especially so without those gimps. You really need those early kills as Ness can rack damage up like crazy.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Weird... You're supposed to DI perpendicular to the initial trajectory and toward the corner in general when you get hit, so that would be down and away when you're getting hit by the last hit of boost kicks.

Near the blast zone you're pretty much screwed no matter how you DI, you'll either die off the top or the side. You can only hope to DI out of the boost kick's final hit... Which is apparently dependent on how the ZSS spaces it and how they DI while doing it.

I wrote up a whole spiel on this matchup somewhere, but basically it all revolves around gimping Ness and avoiding getting PKT2'd. Unfortunately that didn't happen in these matches...

Definitely a tough matchup for Marth, especially so without those gimps. You really need those early kills as Ness can rack damage up like crazy.
Yes but with vectoring being necessary for horizontal knockback, diagonal knockback moves become complicated. It was already proven that DIing horizontal knockback down decreases knockback (just like holding toward the stage). So if holding down decreases knockback AND gets you away from the top, depending on the situation, you want to DI down.

Also you and the video are making it sound like you should give up with boost kick near the ledge. If you are at lower percents, your DI method can save or kill you, near the ledge or not.

Marth slightly beats Ness. How can you call it a tough MU when Marth is absolutely amazing at keeping characters (esp ones like Ness with the ****y double jump and bad air speed) off-stage? In Ness's case Counter is a killer at any percent and the counter attack almost always connects if you space it right. If the Ness is good at staying on stage the entire match he could definitely win, but even then it's not that tough for Marth v. Ness on stage either.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Yes but with vectoring being necessary for horizontal knockback, diagonal knockback moves become complicated. It was already proven that DIing horizontal knockback down decreases knockback (just like holding toward the stage). So if holding down decreases knockback AND gets you away from the top, depending on the situation, you want to DI down.

Also you and the video are making it sound like you should give up with boost kick near the ledge. If you are at lower percents, your DI method can save or kill you, near the ledge or not.

Marth slightly beats Ness. How can you call it a tough MU when Marth is absolutely amazing at keeping characters (esp ones like Ness with the ****y double jump and bad air speed) off-stage? In Ness's case Counter is a killer at any percent and the counter attack almost always connects if you space it right. If the Ness is good at staying on stage the entire match he could definitely win, but even then it's not that tough for Marth v. Ness on stage either.
Marth/ness is probably even, a good ness rarely gets gimped, and you have to be at the right distance for counter to hit him out of upb otherwise he grabs the ledge for free/sometimes the other hits still hit you.

He has a way easier time killing then you, with upair and backthrow being the easiest ones. His fair loses to Nair if spaced right and bair, but its awk to space Nair on reaction.

He can Nair to trade with our upb as well, potentially gimping us at higher percents. Dash attack/dash grab/dash shield/dash retreat nair make him have great mixups approaching, and there's only so much space you can retreat aerials with :x

Honestly this mu feels like rock paper scissors how is ness going to get in? Pressuring offstage is vital and not overcommitting at kill percents, as that's a free dash grab/airdodging into an upair.

Marth CAN keep ness out, but the burden is on him to do it well the whole match.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
What you're saying is definitely true especially including your last sentence. I still think Marth slightly wins because even on stage he has the range and maneuverability where if both players are equally skilled Marth can go toe to toe on stage (while PK Thunder sucks for Marth there are many ways of getting out of PK Fire) and eventually some Ftilt, jab mixup, or DB will send Ness off-stage. Off-stage Ness can do a lot of things to prevent getting gimped or even challenge the edge-guarder. An equally skilled Marth has great tools both on and off-stage to work with these things. Even then, it's still a rock-paper-scissors. Gimping Ness requires reads that often has to do with his options pertaining to double jump.

Edit: probably even pre-patch but due to Ness range and maneuverability, the Jab, Utilt, and Nair buffs benefit Marth a lot here and this is what ultimately gives him the MU edge. Using these and other Marth things, Marth can compete on-stage pretty decently.

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
What you're saying is definitely true especially including your last sentence. I still think Marth slightly wins because even on stage he has the range and maneuverability where if both players are equally skilled Marth can go toe to toe on stage (while PK Thunder sucks for Marth there are many ways of getting out of PK Fire) and eventually some Ftilt, jab mixup, or DB will send Ness off-stage. Off-stage Ness can do a lot of things to prevent getting gimped or even challenge the edge-guarder. An equally skilled Marth has great tools both on and off-stage to work with these things. Even then, it's still a rock-paper-scissors. Gimping Ness requires reads that often has to do with his options pertaining to double jump.

Edit: probably even pre-patch but due to Ness range and maneuverability, the Jab, Utilt, and Nair buffs benefit Marth a lot here and this is what ultimately gives him the MU edge. Using these and other Marth things, Marth can compete on-stage pretty decently.
I agree, onstage Marth can handle his own onstage. What saddens me is the inevitable both at high percent dance which favors ness greatly...
You can fair/upair pk thunder if spaced correctly, but sometimes its unavoidable and you pop right up in front of ness at the perfect distance for a 50/50--airdodge into the ground or aerial him away?

The right answer is to tech/tech roll ;p

Admiral_Dante

Smash Apprentice

I thought vectoring was long gone in this game... <_<

But you would be right if it were still in.

There's a few things you have to learn about fighting Ness in this game in order to avoid going from 0-80+% in a hurry. Just 1 grab into some edge guarding pkts and the percent is already stacking up. He's such a damaging character now, it's crazy. Marth needs to maintain a solid neutral into an eventual gimp or hard read to win vs Ness, while Ness only needs a couple grabs and some juggle traps. Definitely a tough matchup to consistently win.

But yes, this matchup has gotten better post patch.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Well I know the new patch is out but I went Marcina in a recent weekly against a old buddy of mine that was a Yoshi/D3 player. Got a little mad that my Marth whom I'm practice more got bopped sadly while Lucina who I rarely use much nowadays did better vs Yoshi. Marth match is game one and Lucina match is game 3.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Well I know the new patch is out but I went Marcina in a recent weekly against a old buddy of mine that was a Yoshi/D3 player. Got a little mad that my Marth whom I'm practice more got bopped sadly while Lucina who I rarely use much nowadays did better vs Yoshi. Marth match is game one and Lucina match is game 3.
Love that tourney name.

Nice job by the way. The Lucina did better simply because you consistently avoided his Yoshi tricks and changed your gameplay accordingly after the Marth lost. This MU is definitely Yoshi's and I believe Lucina would do equal to Marth here.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Love that tourney name.

Nice job by the way. The Lucina did better simply because you consistently avoided his Yoshi tricks and changed your gameplay accordingly after the Marth lost. This MU is definitely Yoshi's and I believe Lucina would do equal to Marth here.
I see and yeah that's true. My friend also hates fighting Marcina for some strange reason and I'm generally a defensive type of guy so game 1 and that type of Yoshi style I hate fighting but I was able to clutch it out.

Sadly he got his revenge in losers bracket :( .

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Yeah I find that I do better against Yoshi when I'm in campy/defensive/punishing mind-sets.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
This is specifically for optimal shield break punish.

If you execute this move correctly, you will get kills at 25% or lower after every shield break.

So, this is my first upload from the wii u.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sn8HXl6HaD0

During the second stock, I break the shield, then do the following

1. Push them as close to the edge as possible (walk don't run)

2. Jump backward while still facing the opponent. Make sure you are almost right next to them before you jump back.

3. Begin the second jump right before you start to fall. Begin charging the shieldbreaker, using an input just like you would short hop nair, only with the b button.

4. Watch Gurren Lagann. Say very loudly, "Finishing move!
Giga....Shield... BREEEEAAAAKEEEER!!!"

Have fun getting kills at 20% or less every time you break a shield.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
This is specifically for optimal shield break punish.

If you execute this move correctly, you will get kills at 25% or lower after every shield break.

So, this is my first upload from the wii u.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sn8HXl6HaD0

During the second stock, I break the shield, then do the following

1. Push them as close to the edge as possible (walk don't run)

2. Jump backward while still facing the opponent. Make sure you are almost right next to them before you jump back.

3. Begin the second jump right before you start to fall. Begin charging the shieldbreaker, using an input just like you would short hop nair, only with the b button.

4. Watch Gurren Lagann. Say very loudly, "Finishing move!
Giga....Shield... BREEEEAAAAKEEEER!!!"

Have fun getting kills at 20% or less every time you break a shield.
Yeah I've done this, basically at max jump heights with a double jump buffered SBer he'll slide against the ground a bit giving you more range. It's pretty cool.

Admiral_Dante

Smash Apprentice
That's pretty smart... Using the aerial SB to utilize the forward momentum Marth gets from it.
Downright genius actually...

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Not that it was necessary there lmao

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
Hey guys, I'm going to my first tournament in a few days and I would really like some advice. I recently uploaded a video, and while it wasn't my best performance because I had some rust I needed to break, I still would like advice as to my mistakes in this match and what I can do to improve. The Marth match is the very first one. (I'm P2 btw)

Last edited:

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I'm going to my first tournament in a few days and I would really like some advice. I recently uploaded a video, and while it wasn't my best performance because I had some rust I needed to break, I still would like advice as to my mistakes in this match and what I can do to improve. The Marth match is the very first one. (I'm P2 btw)

Just a quick analysis here.

I'm seeing you doing lots of really unsafe stuff. Too many shield breakers, dash attacks, and f-smashes, among other things. You've got to cut that out. That's your main problem that I see.

Also, stop running everywhere. Marth walks quite quickly. Don't limit your options needlessly.

Those are just my initial impressions, I can give a more in depth analysis if you want.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
I'm seeing you doing lots of really unsafe stuff. Too many shield breakers, dash attacks, and f-smashes, among other things. You've got to cut that out. That's your main problem that I see.

Also, stop running everywhere. Marth walks quite quickly. Don't limit your options needlessly.

Those are just my initial impressions, I can give a more in depth analysis if you want.
Yeah, I would like a more in-depth analysis, as those aren't stuff I actually spam too often. I usually end up replacing those dash attacks with with just a quick dash and f-tilt to space, but lag/my rust made me not do it as much. Most f-smashes I make are supposed to be f-tilts tbh, but I will make sure I note to use c-stick attack more, and if I'm not supposed to f-tilt in the situations where I f-smash please tell me! :) Running I agree though, I got to start utilizing walk more. D: Your shieldbreaker is a valid point too, but I think I did that more as panic. I think I should be going for n-air/f-air most of the times I went for shieldbreaker, as those are actually decently safe moves with a good amount of range.

I guess I should link you to another video that plays a bit more like how I usually play. It's an FG video, but I still think I should showcase it just so I can get more help. Honestly I feel pretty annoyed that I didn't link this one as well, since now I'm worried I wasted your time. xD You don't have to watch it if you don't want to and I'll be perfectly okay. :) I'm just thinking that viewing this video could be nice as another attempt to show you how I usually play.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Hey guys! I uploaded a clutch match with senpei Mr. E himself. Tell me what you think! > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soO8mFkG3n8
Assuming this is pre-patch cuz Nair looked weak.

The only things I can come up with are:
You DI Marth's Uthrow behind him not in front.
Your weird Dancing Blade tactics are not optimal. The best DBs are forward 1, 2, 3, 4 (to kill near ledge and get them off-stage) and forward 1, 2, 3, up 4 (for floatier characters and to kill off the top since it's auto-tipper).

Airei

Smash Rookie
NNID
Night_Dragon621
Assuming this is pre-patch cuz Nair looked weak.

The only things I can come up with are:
You DI Marth's Uthrow behind him not in front.
Your weird Dancing Blade tactics are not optimal. The best DBs are forward 1, 2, 3, 4 (to kill near ledge and get them off-stage) and forward 1, 2, 3, up 4 (for floatier characters and to kill off the top since it's auto-tipper).
Thanks for the tips!

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Yeah, I would like a more in-depth analysis, as those aren't stuff I actually spam too often. I usually end up replacing those dash attacks with with just a quick dash and f-tilt to space, but lag/my rust made me not do it as much. Most f-smashes I make are supposed to be f-tilts tbh, but I will make sure I note to use c-stick attack more, and if I'm not supposed to f-tilt in the situations where I f-smash please tell me! :) Running I agree though, I got to start utilizing walk more. D: Your shieldbreaker is a valid point too, but I think I did that more as panic. I think I should be going for n-air/f-air most of the times I went for shieldbreaker, as those are actually decently safe moves with a good amount of range.

I guess I should link you to another video that plays a bit more like how I usually play. It's an FG video, but I still think I should showcase it just so I can get more help. Honestly I feel pretty annoyed that I didn't link this one as well, since now I'm worried I wasted your time. xD You don't have to watch it if you don't want to and I'll be perfectly okay. :) I'm just thinking that viewing this video could be nice as another attempt to show you how I usually play.
So, taking into account the second video, here's my analysis.

You made a lot of errors, of varying significance, in both videos. I feel like it's because you don't have a clear idea of what you should and shouldn't be doing. Make sure you properly think through what you're doing. Don't just attack to attack. What are the consequences if you miss? What will you do next if you hit? Is it the best attack to use in this situation? Fully evaluate the situation before acting. Make sure that you know what you're doing, and why, in every scenario. That goes for everything, not just attacking. Try to remain calm and focused, and think about what you're doing. Avoid autopiloting as much as you can. Every action you make should have a reason behind it.

You throw out a lot of pointless attacks that won't hit. Whiffing moves is really bad for Marth. Try to always ensure that you'll actually hit with an attack.

Be safer in what you do. Keep in mind risk/reward. And avoid high risk stuff most of the time.

For movement, walk and SH more. Those should be your main movement options. Dashing is for when limiting your options doesn't matter and you need speed.

Be reactive, not predictive. Acting on reaction is good because you know the current state of the game. So you can make good, safe decisions based on now. With prediction, you don't know that. You have to guess. And a bad guess can be punished. So, try to be reactive as much as you can. Be patient.

For general move choices, use more jab, d-tilt, n-air, and f-tilt. They're all safe on block when spaced well, and good moves if they hit. You want to primarily stick with these in neutral situations where the opponent can shield. Stop using so much f-smash, dash attack, and shield breaker. Use dancing blade or grab as a punish or out of a dash.

When recovering, don't use SB. It doesn't actually help much at all, and can be very punishable. Save your double jump. Don't just use it immediately.

When you throw someone, you should have a priority list in mind. Basically, If u-throw can kill, use that. If it can't, then throw them off stage and edgeguard. If you can't, then d-throw and set up a landing trap. After the throw, you tend to let your opponent get back to neutral freely. I don't see you doing many throw followups. Do that more.

Which leads me to my next point. You give up advantage too easily. There are two ways you do this. First is by easing pressure; letting the match reset to neutral. Example. If you have the opponent pushed to one side of the stage, don't dash away. Keep them there. Don't let them have any space to move. Second is by overextending yourself. Don't throw out harder punishes than are actually possible. Go for dancing blade instead. Or jab. Much safer. When you have advantage, you want to keep it as much as possible.

I suggest you read threads 6 and 12 in the competitive resources thread.

That's all I've got right now. Main thing is always being aware of what you're doing and why.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
That's pretty smart... Using the aerial SB to utilize the forward momentum Marth gets from it.
Downright genius actually...

Yeah, marth has had this ability since the game came out. Mind blowing that marth's don't use it, it's great because alot of opponents don't expect marth to come flying at them so quickly, I've definitely won alot of games with it.
It's a very powerful hail Mary.
I sometimes begin the match by jump forward - Dble jump forward - flying shieldbreaker.
If you do that, you will perfectly tip a link or Robin by the time they've prepared their projectiles.

Admiral_Dante

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, marth has had this ability since the game came out. Mind blowing that marth's don't use it, it's great because alot of opponents don't expect marth to come flying at them so quickly, I've definitely won alot of games with it.
It's a very powerful hail Mary.
I sometimes begin the match by jump forward - Dble jump forward - flying shieldbreaker.
If you do that, you will perfectly tip a link or Robin by the time they've prepared their projectiles.
It's a good way to let your opponent know that you're a nut... If that's your style. Sometimes I do yolo/hyper-aggressive stuff like this and then play pretty conservative for the rest of the match just to mess with people. Maybe it could put them on tilt a little, maybe it could piss them off, idk, as long as I get to yell Giga Shield Breaker very, very loudly.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
You wanna know the best way to punish a broken shield?

Footstool them and continue the fight.

They aren't worthy to die by the sword.

Top Bottom