• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Hero-King's Council: Video Analysis

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I pushed someone to the ledge from centreish stage and taunted the other day.

The taunt was kinda "accidental" as a result of knowing I didn't have enough time to do anything flashy.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
I pushed someone to the ledge from centreish stage and taunted the other day.

The taunt was kinda "accidental" as a result of knowing I didn't have enough time to do anything flashy.
If I feel like being flashy I'll do a reverse dsmash tipper :3

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
You did well but idk why you kept edge-guarding with shield breaker (Fsmash and off-stage Fair/Bair work best for Fox's sideB) or how after that Dthrow you had a guarenteed follow-up on Fox but you tried Fsmash (he's not falling for it) same with the back hit of Utilt. At the very least you could have did a turn-around Utilt.

I know obviously no one plays at their best the whole match you still did well.

SilverForUbers

Smash Master
NNID
Silver4Ubers
Also, here's a video of me in an online tournament with Marth. This is from a while ago so I'm not sure if he had gotten any of his buffs yet. I ended up losing but I think I did fairly well.

Edit: looking at the first match I can confirm this was before he had gotten any of his buffs to Jab, Nair, etc.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Yeah saw this a while ago I have no idea why I didn't put this here.

This looks like a Marth match-up advantage. False constantly had the upper hand. But of course you see what Robin can do. I'd like to complain that Robin's Fair has Brawl Marth Fair's autocancel and IASA while doing 12.5% damage. You saw him get 3 of those in a row. That coulda been us boys. But no Robin actually deserves that with durability and such a bad ground mobility. Would be broken on Marth.

False's Marth is super crisp. Definitely looking to leave Mr. E in the dust if he hasn't already. Didn't he take top 32 at Smash Con using all Marth?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Mr.E's been ROB mainly for a while.

Funnily enough I hadn't watched that set yet at the time while I was talking about sh air dodge options and other parts of Marth game play in the impressions thread, but it ended up being all directly relevant. Someone taught him or directed him towards Marth technology :p

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
What's ROB?

Yeah either that or he figured it out himself. He seems to be the kind of guy who would and it's not like other characters don't use this.

Langston777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
langston777
I think his name is Eric, but there's a somewhat well known Mister Eric that plays ROB. that's probably who you saw.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
You meant the character ROB. I thought ROB was some weird Shaya acronym. Google didn't help.

Yeah Mr. E is Eric and funny enough, his twitch is even Mr. Eric1 even though a ROB player (#2 Ohio PR I think) called Mister Eric exists.

Mr. E dual mains Sheik and Marth now. He said that on stream and he used Sheik on stream at either CEO or EVO (I forgot) and used Marth on stream at SSC.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
False's autocanceled nair>dtilt>dair spike was sooo sexy. He also had very good movement.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Another top level player using Marth? I'll have to check it out...

So there's no way of viewing past patch replays unless you never updated your Wii u? ): won a set vs dabuz sheik that I guess will become part of the replay abyss...

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
False's autocanceled nair>dtilt>dair spike was sooo sexy. He also had very good movement.
Nair doesn't autocancel until frame 47. He simply landed.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Wow that's a late autocancel. Okay, he just got him with the initial hit and it looked pretty fly.

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
Yeah saw this a while ago I have no idea why I didn't put this here.

This looks like a Marth match-up advantage. False constantly had the upper hand. But of course you see what Robin can do. I'd like to complain that Robin's Fair has Brawl Marth Fair's autocancel and IASA while doing 12.5% damage. You saw him get 3 of those in a row. That coulda been us boys. But no Robin actually deserves that with durability and such a bad ground mobility. Would be broken on Marth.

False's Marth is super crisp. Definitely looking to leave Mr. E in the dust if he hasn't already. Didn't he take top 32 at Smash Con using all Marth?
Plus you add the fact that you can only use the levin sword a finite amount of times, before it dissapears unlike brawl Marth. I'm not sure about Mr. E, but False made it to 17th at Smashcon using Marth. He hasn't really been playing him until the latest patch.
I think his name is Eric, but there's a somewhat well known Mister Eric that plays ROB. that's probably who you saw.
Yes, Mr .E and Mr. Eric are two different players. I just watched the MVDA area weekly tourney stream that clarified that, and I watched some really good, meta advancing rob play.... like z dropping the gyro by the ledge, into a spike.
Another top level player using Marth? I'll have to check it out...

So there's no way of viewing past patch replays unless you never updated your Wii u? ): won a set vs dabuz sheik that I guess will become part of the replay abyss...
Well at least you can now upload replays at 720 p with no capture card, so that won't happen again. ;p.

Sorry for gramatical errors, sending this via phone.

Edit: Note on False's Marth: Something that I noted about his Marth is that he does little to no walking. From my understanding, Marth has one of the best walk speeds in the game, so you are better off walking, keeping all of his options instead of fox trotting like False was doing. What do you guys think about that?

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Finally got around to watching this.

I was LOL'ing IRL during the Gunblade matches against the Sheik player. He got soooo pissed from those shield breaks and tipper Fsmashes. Probably because he was in the "I'm Sheik and Marth is free" mindset.

VaBengal, solid movement and decision making. Love your ZSS too.

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
Finally got around to watching this.

I was LOL'ing IRL during the Gunblade matches against the Sheik player. He got soooo pissed from those shield breaks and tipper Fsmashes. Probably because he was in the "I'm Sheik and Marth is free" mindset.

VaBengal, solid movement and decision making. Love your ZSS too.
Tippers have never been so exciting to see

It's matches like those that I question why people keep saying Roy is better than Marth

HFlash

NNID
HFlash
Went all Marth until Winners Semis at a local a few days ago. Didn't drop a game with him all tournament! Here's a vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHSrPN_nXGU
Very nice set! Your movement was very clean and efficient. It seems like Wario just gets out ranged by Marth and really depends on you mis spacing to get anywhere in. The biggest thing that stood out to me was how little you used fsmash, particularly at Delfino (which has small horizontal edges if I'm not mistaken). Is it just a really unsafe move to use? Is it almost always better to go for the guaranteed, safer % with DB and ftilt?

Thanks in advanced

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Very nice set! Your movement was very clean and efficient. It seems like Wario just gets out ranged by Marth and really depends on you mis spacing to get anywhere in. The biggest thing that stood out to me was how little you used fsmash, particularly at Delfino (which has small horizontal edges if I'm not mistaken). Is it just a really unsafe move to use? Is it almost always better to go for the guaranteed, safer % with DB and ftilt?

Thanks in advanced
Thank you! And thanks everyone else for the kind words.

I don't have a whole lot of Marth experience in this game, so I just sort of get by on fundamentals and Brawl Marth knowledge. I feel like my Marth has really good movement (thanks Brawl), spacing (thanks Brawl), and hitbox placement (thanks Brawl), but a really bad punish game and just poor optimization overall. I probably could stand to punish more things with Fsmash, but since I'm not sure of what I can punish with it I just opted for safe options and clean play instead, I wouldn't read into it too much, haha.

If I start to play this character more, which I very well may, it'll probably end up looking quite a bit different.

HFlash

NNID
HFlash
Thank you! And thanks everyone else for the kind words.

I don't have a whole lot of Marth experience in this game, so I just sort of get by on fundamentals and Brawl Marth knowledge. I feel like my Marth has really good movement (thanks Brawl), spacing (thanks Brawl), and hitbox placement (thanks Brawl), but a really bad punish game and just poor optimization overall. I probably could stand to punish more things with Fsmash, but since I'm not sure of what I can punish with it I just opted for safe options and clean play instead, I wouldn't read into it too much, haha.

If I start to play this character more, which I very well may, it'll probably end up looking quite a bit different.
Haha, I am in the exact same position. He finally feels like... Marth in this patch (if that makes any sense). I too come from playing alot of Brawl Marth, and although the power of his kit has been shifted around (goodbye spamming fair as a legitimate strategy), he might be close to as strong as he was. Thanks for the post!

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I really don't mean to have a conversation about this and I'm glad you're happy but he definitely isn't even close to as strong as he was. A direct revival of Melee or Brawl Marth is a god tier in Smash 4 because this entire game is nerfed and fair and pretty much nothing is broken.

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
Agreed. Although I think we can all agree that he is pretty solid now compared to his initial status in Smash 4

Last edited:

AufWiedersehen

Smash Cadet
NNID
AufWiedersehen
Got some Marth replays from about 2 weeks ago.

For some background info, I played Lucina pretty much exclusively when Smash 4 first came out, then spent the last 4 months playing a lot of Rosalina. After EVO I decided to finally pick up Marth.
I played Marth in Melee and for the longest time did not want to main the same character in different games, but have since done away with that mindset.

:4marth:vs :4fox:
https://youtu.be/HsZfWXfKiuU

:4marth:vs :4yoshi:
https://youtu.be/OiBEXC3LlAE

I'm hoping playing Marth will improve my spacing game, maybe even improve my Lucina game. I know I have a lot of work to do with getting tippers but I'm hoping I'm able to leverage my time playing Lucina.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom