• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm very sure that the retail demo roster is the initial roster. I mean, yes, we had Sonic playable in the E for All demo prior to Brawl while he was still an unlockable, but Luigi, Toon Link and all the third parties have had so much exposure it honestly doesn't make sense for them, especially Mega Man and Sonic, to be unlockable. And I don't think Namco's rep would be unlockable either.

Plus, that roster - Mii Fighters is what, 36? Given what we know in the leaked roster, even if it's not all the characters, it still leaves at least 12 unlockables. Brawl had 25 counting all the transformations/PT Pokemon, and ended up with 39. So honestly minimum 12 unlockables sounds about right.

I think it's pretty safe to assume none of the characters not in the demo roster are starters (So....Lucina, Wario, etc.) and that all of them there are.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
I'm very sure that the retail demo roster is the initial roster. I mean, yes, we had Sonic playable in the E for All demo prior to Brawl while he was still an unlockable, but Luigi, Toon Link and all the third parties have had so much exposure it honestly doesn't make sense for them, especially Mega Man and Sonic, to be unlockable. And I don't think Namco's rep would be unlockable either.

Plus, that roster - Mii Fighters is what, 36? Given what we know in the leaked roster, even if it's not all the characters, it still leaves at least 12 unlockables. Brawl had 25 counting all the transformations/PT Pokemon, and ended up with 39. So honestly minimum 12 unlockables sounds about right.

I think it's pretty safe to assume none of the characters not in the demo roster are starters (So....Lucina, Wario, etc.) and that all of them there are.
Agreed, but there is one thing that I think that this being the starting roster points out...

All the Pokémon characters are in the initial lineup except Jigglypuff. I don't think they would have just 1 unlockable Pokémon - both Melee and Brawl had two, in Pichu and Jigglypuff and Lucario and Jigglypuff respectively.

Mewtwo dubiously confirmed...?

D

Deleted member

Hey guys in the sound test menu what if by entering the contra code on Shulk's area, you got new sound options that are all from Reyn. Examples: "Now its Reyn Time!" "Give it some OOMPH!" "Alleyoop!" and "Man, what a bunch of jokas."

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Agreed, but there is one thing that I think that this being the starting roster points out...

All the Pokémon characters are in the initial lineup except Jigglypuff. I don't think they would have just 1 unlockable Pokémon - both Melee and Brawl had two, in Pichu and Jigglypuff and Lucario and Jigglypuff respectively.

Mewtwo dubiously confirmed...?
It could go one way or another, but that's pretty much what I've been thinking, too. Especially since, because we know All-Star had the lock icon in the leak build, and Sakurai confirmed that means all the characters aren't unlocked, we know there's more.

We'll see, though.

It's nice to have Shulk on the starting roster, though. I wonder how much play time I'll actually get with other characters now, though, hahaha!

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
I'm curious, what exactly did Mewtwo do better than Lucario? Also, do you guys think there'll be two different Mewtwo's, one for Y and one for X?

Sorry that this doesn't really have to do with Shulk, but it's Smash related, so I bet we can tie it in somehow.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious, what exactly did Mewtwo do better than Lucario? Also, do you guys think there'll be two different Mewtwo's, one for Y and one for X?

Sorry that this doesn't really have to do with Shulk, but it's Smash related, so I bet we can tie it in somehow.
I'm personally not a Mewtwo fan, but Mewtwo's forward aerial and up-b was much better than Lucario's.

Still, I'm interested to see how Shulk will fare against other enemies with counters like Lucario.

D

Deleted member

Mewtwo was from Gen 1. And Lucario is better than Mewtwo in Smash so far if you look at the tiers, even though they're different games. But really, Mewtwo is from Gen 1. That makes it "better". But :4shulk: is better than both

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I can't believe we are so close to actually playing as Shulk in Smash Bros. It's like a dream I can't wake up from. Hopefully, the demo is the starting roster, because I want to hear the announcer's "SHULK" out loud on my 3DS as soon as possible.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo was from Gen 1. And Lucario is better than Mewtwo in Smash so far if you look at the tiers, even though they're different games. But really, Mewtwo is from Gen 1. That makes it "better". But :4shulk: is better than both
Another reason that people prefer Mewtwo is because fans saw him as a cooler Pokemon so when he, a legendary Pokemon, got replaced with Lucario, people got mad at that. I like both equally, but I think Lucario just has better potential in Smash Bros.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
does anyone have any gameplay info about shulk? im hearing about all these other characters like link, zard, greninja, sonic, pacman, robin. even freaking olimar -.- wheres the shulk rep? D: i wanna know whats going on

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
does anyone have any gameplay info about shulk? im hearing about all these other characters like link, zard, greninja, sonic, pacman, robin. even freaking olimar -.- wheres the shulk rep? D: i wanna know whats going on
There were some posts on him I saw last night on Reddit. To summarize some things:

> Monado has crazy reach
> Modes have cooldown after switching.
> New god(slayer) of spacing.
> He seems overall really solid.

Can't seem to find answers what the tilts/etc. we didn't see are. Can't find confirmation on his other 4 outfits, but I did hear they're all recolors, with Oil Shulk being the only actual "alt".

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Did anyone find out more about how Shulk's Monado Arts work? Are they generated randomly or can you pick which Art you want at any time? Or perhaps you can only get through them in a fixed order like Olimar's pikmin?

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Did anyone find out more about how Shulk's Monado Arts work? Are they generated randomly or can you pick which Art you want at any time? Or perhaps you can only get through them in a fixed order like Olimar's pikmin?
From what someone speculated, it's a set order.

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
There were some posts on him I saw last night on Reddit. To summarize some things:

> Monado has crazy reach
> Modes have cooldown after switching.
> New god(slayer) of spacing.
> He seems overall really solid.

Can't seem to find answers what the tilts/etc. we didn't see are. Can't find confirmation on his other 4 outfits, but I did hear they're all recolors, with Oil Shulk being the only actual "alt".
From what I've read, the only one who can challenge his spacing is fittingly a Goddess, Palutena.

From the 3DS Japanese build thread:
Twitter man Ben Weinhoffer claims that the top characters from "worst" to "best"
Yoshi, Palutena, Shulk, Robin
Still too early to conclude how powerful he is but basically if you're afraid that Shulk won't be viable or won't be that good, don't be afraid.

Edit: Take note that this is just an opinion. Just a slight assurance that he won't be a crappy character

Edit2: Not sure if the guy even played the demo.... Don't take his word seriously for now

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
EDIT: Shulk Jungle Outfit deconfirmed :(

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
In the zipzo stream, Shulk's jungle outfit was just confirmed as an alt!

He hasn't played Xenoblade and is recalling this all from memory, but he said that there is one alt that is kind of shirtless with pants. This, along with the guy from reddit saying there is a sleeveless alt confirms it!
SWEET JESUS YES!!!

...Ahem. That pleases me greatly.

The Curious Volnutt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theOmni1337
In the zipzo stream, Shulk's jungle outfit was just confirmed as an alt!

He hasn't played Xenoblade and is recalling this all from memory, but he said that there is one alt that is kind of shirtless with pants. This, along with the guy from reddit saying there is a sleeveless alt confirms it!
Oh yeah! Let's unleash the Banado!

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Aww nm, I directly showed him a link to the jungle outfit and he said no, Shulk does not have an outfit like that.

Fex13

Smash Apprentice
im really hoping he can pull off some great combos and is somewhat fast...

btw, does shulk has to use any monado arts or is there some kind of ,standard' mode for his moves? anything known already?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I expect DLC outfits anyway, so I'm not too concerned.

Culex127

Smash Rookie
NNID
Culex127
3DS FC
2122-7040-2228
I am looking forward to play this character!
Xenoblade Chronicles all the way!

Blue Fang

Smash Cadet
NNID
RedIdol82
Who here is still in a slight state of disbelief that Shulk actually made it in?
Shulk's been my number one most wanted character for SM4SH since I first played Xenoblade, and seeing him in the leaks and his reveal trailer has been so surreal to me.

But I think I've finally accepted reality after watching this video, seeing Shulk with the rest of the Smash cast....and reality is good.

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Who here is still in a slight state of dis.belief that Shulk actually made it in?
Shulk's been my number one most wanted character for SM4SH since I first played Xenoblade, and seeing him in the leaks and his reveal trailer has been so surreal to me.

But I think I've finally accepted reality after watching this video, seeing Shulk with the rest of the Smash cast....and reality is good.

Haha, I love the ending to that. I watched it 7 times... too epic.

I probably came to reality on the subject when I happend upon Shulk's page on the smash wiki

Weeginji

Smash Cadet
There is a point at which this should have stopped and we have clearly passed it...

D

Deleted member

There is a point at which this should have stopped and we have clearly passed it...
This had to happen at some point. I loved Shulk's reactions for when Robin showed up! :laugh:
We should have the Xenoblade cast commentate over every Smash trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom