• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Iirc, a few Joe-Schmoes who played the demo, and a couple of journalists?
If it helps, one of the people who made the claim is, apparently, very reputable among the Smash community. I can't recall the name... No sarcasm, pls. The point is that it's not something they'd lie about.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
(Catch-up)

Do you think Shulk Players will have the hardest time in Smash Run or could they rely on certain attacks to minimize the troubles they come across?
IIRC, they've said they took character speed into account somehow. I don't remember what it was, but might be something like slower characters produce better drops. Whatever it was, it meant you can't just choose Greninja or Captain Falcon every time and race through the entire maze and pick everything up.

I still really like the idea someone here presented (Don't remember who exactly, sorry): Shulk's dodges makes his eyes glow blue etc to make it seem like he had a vision and therefore could dodge the attack.
I'll be sad if his regular shield isn't the Monado Shield sphere.

I think a Topple instant-trip move could be good, as long as it's not too troll.

If it helps, one of the people who made the claim is, apparently, very reputable among the Smash community. I can't recall the name... No sarcasm, pls. The point is that it's not something they'd lie about.
I want to believe! Kind of wish there were pics.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
IIRC, they've said they took character speed into account somehow. I don't remember what it was, but might be something like slower characters produce better drops. Whatever it was, it meant you can't just choose Greninja or Captain Falcon every time and race through the entire maze and pick everything up..
Sounds nice and very well balanced. Very much to my liking. :chuckle:

Enyalb

Hardcore Wonder-Casual Dragoon
NNID
BLAYNEproject
3DS FC
5300-9911-6250
well sad day for Takamaru fans
About to say, was expecting Ness, instead we got Takamaru as an assist trophy...
Also new user here, hello, all up for Shulk in Smash 4, would like to support.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
About to say, was expecting Ness, instead we got Takamaru as an assist trophy...
Also new user here, hello, all up for Shulk in Smash 4, would like to support.
Welcome to Smash Boards and thanks for supporting Shulk!
@BluePikmin11 - We have another!
Ouch that must hurt a lot I hope that don't happened to Shulk:urg:
With each deconfirmation I just see Shulk's chances higher :D!! It's always so uplifting for me.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
I do feel bad for Takamaru supporters though. I was actually considering putting full support behind him, then this. I feel really bad for his fans. But at this point, all I can do is hope Shulk doesn't suffer the same fate. But as a protagonist from an up-and-starting franchise, he's in a different boat, so here's hoping.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Woah woah what/where/when was Takamaru deconfirmed? Pic of the Day doesn't seem to be up yet for me...

I feel bad...

Edit: Now it's there... a moment's silence for our fellow Smash fans.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Seems like many support threads our mourning over the deconfirmation of Takamaru. This Monday is IcyHot. If you understand what that means, then pat yourself on the back Xenobrothers.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I do feel bad for Takamaru supporters though. I was actually considering putting full support behind him, then this. I feel really bad for his fans. But at this point, all I can do is hope Shulk doesn't suffer the same fate. But as a protagonist from an up-and-starting franchise, he's in a different boat, so here's hoping.
Yeah...I was really gunning for Takamaru, and seeing him get the AT treatment while we have playable Miis actually hurts me alot.

C'mon Shulk, you've gotta power through! Don't let the ATs pull you in!

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice
Called it way back that I didn't think Takamaru would be playable. Looks like I was right.

Just reveal Shulk already, Sakurai; we all know he's playable.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Maintaining the stance that making Shulk an AT would be a huge kick in the **** to Monolith Soft if we have playable Miis, I'm almost convinced I don't need to worry, but I'm so paranoid that'll never happen.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Maintaining the stance that making Shulk an AT would be a huge kick in the **** to Monolith Soft if we have playable Miis, I'm almost convinced I don't need to worry, but I'm so paranoid that'll never happen.
Well, Shulk and Isaac are the only two sword using potential new comers now, so that's a thing I guess.

As a Takamaru supporter though, yeah, sad times.

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. Shulk is in no way AT material; I just can't see it happening, and there's no way Monolith Soft isn't going to get a rep. Sakurai's not an idiot; he's not going to consciously ignore Nintendo's newest, unrepped first-party studios. Shulk as an AT would be rather illogical considering Nintendo's concerted effort in trying to push the series (Spiritual sequel in development/use of the Xenoblade name/Streetpass puzzle/multiple teasers) and the fact that it comes from a Nintendo subsidiary who has yet to be repped. Trust me when I say that Nintendo operates like a tight-knit family; Monolith Soft is getting repped, without a doubt.

Some people don't see it, but Shulk is pretty much a shoe-in, imo.

Last edited:

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Welp, all of my blue haired swordsmen cards are up...

Guess I'll move over to the blonde one :awesome:.

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice
Well, Shulk and Isaac are the only two sword using potential new comers now, so that's a thing I guess.

Seriously, no offence to Isaac, but I don't see him happening.

Finkrat

Smash Rookie
NNID
Finkrat3932
Well, after about 1 and a half weeks of just lurking around, all I came out to say is that Takamaru's Assist Trophy role should not be the thing that bums us out. He seemed to look like a very interesting character, and it's truly a shame that he didn't make the dream character roster. But Shulk still has a lot of evidence in his favor and he is too unique of an opportunity to pass up. We can still lift our heads high and support Shulk's inclusion until the day where he's revealed to be in the game as either an Assist Trophy or a Newcomer.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Seriously, no offence to Isaac, but I don't see him happening.
He has his merits and I personally could (and would want to) see him get in.

It doesn't really matter in any case, Sakurai could just as easily add two sword using newcomers as he could add zero more sword using new comers. There is no magic number.

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice
He has his merits and I personally could (and would want to) see him get in.

It doesn't really matter in any case, Sakurai could just as easily add two sword using newcomers as he could add zero more sword using new comers. There is no magic number.
It's not about sword-users, though, it's the fact that the Golden Sun series is pretty much dead and not all that relevant anymore. Obviously, Sakurai will only rep series that have the potential and the chance to expand and grow; Golden Sun does not have that potential since the series has lost its traction, and there's still currently no news no whether a new GS game is or will be in development.

Although, there is Earthbound, but that's in a whole other boat compared to Golden Sun.

Last edited:

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
It's not about sword-users, though, it's the fact that the Golden Sun series is pretty much dead and not all that relevant anymore. Obviously, Sakurai will only rep series that have the potential and the chance to expand and grow; Golden Sun does not have that potential since the series has lost its traction, and there's still currently no news no whether a new GS game is or will be in development.
Even Earthbound atleast had a big show about how it was on the the EShop

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice
Shulk better damn not be an Assist.
There's no way a popular, top requested protagonist from Nintendo's newest, unrepped first-party studios first critically acclaimed video game since becoming a Nintendo subsidiary, that also has an HD successor in development that looks to cost a pretty penny, is going to be an AT.

Last edited:

Blue Fang

Smash Cadet
NNID
RedIdol82
Takamaru was my #2 most wanted character...now he's been Assist-Trophied...
Come on Shulk, you're still #1!

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Well Takamaru is something I always saw in the same boat as Saki. People most likely expected both due they both had outdated Sakurai statements in Brawl. Saki had the "He would fit perfectly" quotes from the Dojo, with Takamaru Sakurai once said he would put him in Smash if had gotten a new game or a modern appearance(which was Samurai Warriors on the Wii if memory serves right)

Takamaru & Saki most likely also were more expected for above reasons instead of actually wanted like Zoroark

At this point we most likely won't even get retro's due Little Mac & Mega Man also forfill this role kinda, so Sakurai could have aimed for a 2 birds 1 stone scenario regarding retro's for this game.

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
God dangit, I didn't even want him in, mainly because I didn't know anything about him, but now that he's been assist trophy'd I've been looking into him and now I really want him! :( My condolences to everyone who was hoping for him.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Well talking with you people, makes me want to restart my file of Xenoblade..."I guess its time to make my hands dirty"

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
It's a shame to see Takamaru deconfirmed... Condolences to @NonSpecificGuy as I know he was a huge supporter of Takamaru.
I guess we can only hope that Shulk pushes through.

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
Well talking with you people, makes me want to restart my file of Xenoblade..."I guess its time to make my hands dirty"
I've been taking my friend through it for the first time recently. His reaction to "you know who's" death, priceless.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Shulk is not going to be an assist. Too much evidence against it.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
If Shulk was an Assist, I think they would re-use voice clips from Xenoblade instead of making new ones.
Also, why would the voice actors find that notable enough to mention it? And why the re-tweets? Yeah, this changes nothing.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

Yeah as much as I feel bad for Takamaru fans, there's a part of me that feels like this takes the pressure off Isaac and Shulk now that they have one less (and arguably the most notable after them) "swordsman" character to compete with.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
This is from a fake leak, but I'm posting it because of the move set"

"XenoBlade

>Shulk is playable. Very reminiscent of Ike, but not as slow and his normals come out faster. His specials are some of the strongest I've seen in the game. If you're familiar with Xenoblade's Monado Arts, you'll be using Monado Buster as your primary KO method. Besides that, Monado Speed, Cyclone and Eater are parts of the specials. Monado Speed increases his movement speed for a short time, pretty self-explanatory. Eater is a fast attack that is the only attack in the game that removes enemy buffs. So, if someone has a Metal Cap, or a Super Mushroom, hit 'em with Monado Eater. The damage on it is fairly low.

Cyclone is the recovery move. It sucks as a recovery move, but its primary use is that it sends items and players flying away from you. If an item is already moving - say, being thrown at you - it just flat-out stops and falls. As a defensive technique it's got too long a wind-down to be particularly useful, but I've been using it as an edge guarding special to great effect."

While this wouldn't be a top move set choice for me, the effects of Monado Eater and Cyclone are pretty different than anything we discussed here.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
This is from a fake leak, but I'm posting it because of the move set"

"XenoBlade

>Shulk is playable. Very reminiscent of Ike, but not as slow and his normals come out faster. His specials are some of the strongest I've seen in the game. If you're familiar with Xenoblade's Monado Arts, you'll be using Monado Buster as your primary KO method. Besides that, Monado Speed, Cyclone and Eater are parts of the specials. Monado Speed increases his movement speed for a short time, pretty self-explanatory. Eater is a fast attack that is the only attack in the game that removes enemy buffs. So, if someone has a Metal Cap, or a Super Mushroom, hit 'em with Monado Eater. The damage on it is fairly low.

Cyclone is the recovery move. It sucks as a recovery move, but its primary use is that it sends items and players flying away from you. If an item is already moving - say, being thrown at you - it just flat-out stops and falls. As a defensive technique it's got too long a wind-down to be particularly useful, but I've been using it as an edge guarding special to great effect."

While this wouldn't be a top move set choice for me, the effects of Monado Eater and Cyclone are pretty different than anything we discussed here.
Eater would work better as a damage over time special imo, with slow start-up.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I've been taking my friend through it for the first time recently. His reaction to "you know who's" death, priceless.
I totally thought I knew how it was going to go. We had the trio to start off the party, we'd pick up a few people, gonna be awesome. Then Fiora died and I'm like WHAT NO WHY DID YOU DO THAT D: EVERYTHING WAS WONDERFUL It was like the storywriters went "Are you comfortable? All cozy in this narrative blanket? Good... I'm gonna set it on fire now."

I remember seeing someone posting about Xenoblade on Facebook a long time ago and their series of comments were like:

A: Finally got Xenoblade! Really loving it so far. It's felt pretty relaxed so far, but I'm only up to Tephra Cave, I'm sure it'll pick up :b:
B: How good is it, hey?! I can't put it down. [2 likes]
C: Yeah, don't worry about that... it picks up pretty soon... [5 likes]
A: It's awesome. And yeah, it's gotten pretty intense now :O... [8 likes]
(10 minutes later...)
A: WHAT [15 likes]
A: NO [15 likes]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom