• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah, one of my best friends from college has it right now, and he's just gotten to Prison Island and seen the major spoiler there. After he finishes it, I'm gonna pass it off to another friend, and so on until everyone knows the glory of Xenoblade.

That, and no one goes "Shulk? Who?" if he's in Sm4sh when it comes out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I haven't given my copy of Xenoblade to anyone because I don't really have friends in real life.
I don't really trust people with giving them something for a short time. I fear that I could lose this game if I did... and this is one of my favorite games of all-time and this game is rare and expensive, I would be devastated if I lost it.
One of my friends on another website recently got Xenoblade for $45 and I think that he's enjoying it!

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Haha, then it might displease you to know that my friend doesn't actually have a Wii. So my copy of the game isn't the only thing I'll be lending him. XD

Part of the reason I want my friend to play it is that it would turn an otherwise confusing reveal into likely the most exciting for him yet. I'm actually pretty sure that this friend will like the game even more than I do based on his game preferences.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I left my Wii and my copy of the game home this semester, so I plan to pick it back up and clearing it 100% when I get back. 'Course I don't really care for the new game+ (or whatever it's actually called) option in the game so I'll probably just start a new save file.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
I've got three massive pricks for friends who own the game and just won't play it, and one even massive-r one who sold the game to his friend for $80. Only 80, and he's usually pretty smart, too. I am disappoint.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I am indeed worried like many of you. With Dillon getting an out of nowhere deconfirmation before he even got anything from his series shown in the game, I can't help but look with concern to Shulk. We've seen nothing from Xenoblade yet, and it just seems way too easy for Sakurai to simply plop him into a regular PotD as an AT.

Of course Shulk is all around a far higher profile character then Dillon, but that nagging notion is still buzzing in the back of my mind...

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I am indeed worried like many of you. With Dillon getting an out of nowhere deconfirmation before he even got anything from his series shown in the game, I can't help but look with concern to Shulk. We've seen nothing from Xenoblade yet, and it just seems way too easy for Sakurai to simply plop him into a regular PotD as an AT.

Of course Shulk is all around a far higher profile character then Dillon, but that nagging notion is still buzzing in the back of my mind...
If Shulk is playable it'd make sense to not show anything. If an item or stage or even smash run enemy was shown, it'd make people likely think that Shulk is playable.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
If Shulk is playable it'd make sense to not show anything. If an item or stage or even smash run enemy was shown, it'd make people likely think that Shulk is playable.
Specially considering that it would be the introduction of a whole new franchise to the Smash Bros. universe, so showing Shulk, a stage and music, etc. in a trailer, would make for incredible amounts of hype.

D

Deleted member

Specially considering that it would be the introduction of a whole new franchise to the Smash Bros. universe, so showing Shulk, a stage and music, etc. in a trailer, would make for incredible amounts of hype.
And that's hype that I bet they want to save for later. Shulk would definitely bring a ton with him; whether people played Xenoblade or not, I bet that he would get an overall positive reception.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
And that's hype that I bet they want to save for later. Shulk would definitely bring a ton with him; whether people played Xenoblade or not, I bet that he would get an overall positive reception.
Yeah, Shulk and any Xenoblade content like music and stages could easily become fan favorites, even for people who aren't familiar with Xenoblade at all.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, Shulk and any Xenoblade content like music and stages could easily become fan favorites, even for people who aren't familiar with Xenoblade at all.
I can see people say, "WHOA! COOL! WHO IS THIS GUY?" when You Will Know Our Names starts playing. If that track played, it would be an instant fan favorite (and I would be pretty damn surprised if it wasn't used). A trailer that will hype people plus that music track would make for one of the most memorable trailers we've seen thus far.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You know, i wouldn't care too much if Shulk sucks, i would be too happy about having him in the game.
I'm the opposite. If Shulk is poorly handled, then I'd abandon the character. Which wouldn't be the first time, nor would it be the last time.

Though, I suppose that might not be a huge problem due to the large amount of fighting game experience at hand.

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I'm the opposite. If Shulk is poorly handled, then I'd abandon the character. Which wouldn't be the first time, nor would it be the last time.

Though, I suppose that might not be a huge problem due to the large amount of fighting game experience at hand.
I get your point, and i'm cofident about the work on balancing the cast of this game too, l hope that at least we don't get some characters that struggle hard against the whole rest of the cast, like Brawl Ganondorf, then again imo Ganondorf was a fun to play character.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I get your point, and i'm cofident about the work on balancing the cast of this game too, l hope that at least we don't get some characters that struggle hard against the whole rest of the cast, like Brawl Ganondorf, then again imo Ganondorf was a fun to play character.
I at least have more confidence with these batch of developers over the last batch used in Brawl, mainly because of actually having experience with making fighting games. Because of this I'm not expecting a massive gap with what is and isn't viable. Though I'm still not expecting it to be absolutely perfect, because even the best of teams will make mistakes due to oversights, prioritizing, or time. Though at least this time, there is the option of patches that would hopefully remedy any problems that show up in the future.

Though it's more then that, it also has to do with making the character appealing both from watching and playing, because believe it or not that line is actually a tad thin. The biggest culprits are characters that can easily stall matches and characters that are overpowered yet easy to master.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I can't see Shulk being Brawl Ganon bad. Looking at Namdai's past record, where they've even managed 50 character roster balancing, reducing them to 3-4 tiers, I'm not really too concerned.

...Really I'm more concerned about actual Ganon not being the worst character again than Shulk. Shulk's build doesn't lend itself to being bad. (Then again, neither did Roy's...)

I'm also hoping for Canondorf instead of Captaindorf, but we'll see.

No sense in worrying. I just want to see Shulk.

Also, comparing Xenoblade to Rolling Western is a little bit silly. E-shop games, and huge name, Monolith Soft's-first-Nintendo-library-addition-blockbuster are not the same.

I actually take not seeing any Xenoblade content as a huge boost to Shulk's chances, and feel like if he was just a throwaway character to Sakurai, we would've seen his AT already.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To be honest, if Sakurai made him an Assist Trophy, then I think that he would have been revealed in the Direct. The fact that he survived the massacre is pretty significant; I will not deny the possibility that we might see him later on, but I think that he is in a good position now.

I'm more focused on Shulk getting in the game more than whether or not he's good. I main Luigi, my favorite video game character of all-time, and he doesn't do so well on the tier lists. As long as the character I like is enjoyable, then I have no complaints.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I can't see Shulk being Brawl Ganon bad. Looking at Namdai's past record, where they've even managed 50 character roster balancing, reducing them to 3-4 tiers, I'm not really too concerned.
Well nobody said about seeing him as bad as Ganon, but the wishes for Brawl Meta Knight or Brawl Ganondorf not happening again are bigger with Bandai Namco lending a hand this time.

I'm more focused on Shulk getting in the game more than whether or not he's good. I main Luigi, my favorite video game character of all-time, and he doesn't do so well on the tier lists. As long as the character I like is enjoyable, then I have no complaints.
This, pretty much.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, the wish was brought up that that there not be any characters worse than the entire cast this time around, and that's certainly a wish for Shulk, although I don't think its possible anyway.

I'm very interested to see what Namdai can do with Meta Knight, personally.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Man, you guys still playing the game, I specifically avoided coming here at all until I finished the game, it seems like common sense, hahaha.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Man, you guys still playing the game, I specifically avoided coming here at all until I finished the game, it seems like common sense, hahaha.
This is the reason why I go with the gameplay aspects first and foremost, due to that discussion usually having minimal spoilers.

Though it's not entirely spoiler free since we do have to go out of our way explaining details about the Monado.

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
Uh... I didn't think a hero rejecting Godlike powers warranted spoiler tags, but for those of you who feel cheated:

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
a hero rejecting Godlike powers
I think the point is more in the implication that he ever had a chance to attain them in the first place.

Good thing I finished the game last night this morning.

This is the reason why I go with the gameplay aspects first and foremost, due to that discussion usually having minimal spoilers.

Though it's not entirely spoiler free since we do have to go out of our way explaining details about the Monado.
I feel like it's hard to talk about anything at all that happens in Xenoblade without it being at least a minor spoiler.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
...It'd be ****ing awesome if the Shulk trailer started, and all we got was a closeup of the Monado, and then all the sudden it started glowing, and the Smash symbol appeared on it. Followed by "You Will Know Our Names".

And then Shulk + trailer cool stuff yada yada.

Can you say HYPE?!

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I had a dream Shulk was revealed for the game but had a horrible American voice dub instead of his normal voice. No one but me seemed to notice.

It was terrifying.

Weeginji

Smash Cadet
Yo, what am I doin' not bein' in the supporter list for my most wanted newcomer? I posted a full moveset (pg. 7) for cryin' out loud!

For the sake of relevancy, I'll mention that I've quite liked the idea of Shulk's trailer starting out as a vision. Just play a clip of a regular match with a blue tint, then zoom out of his eye and there ya go.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I had a dream Shulk was revealed for the game but had a horrible American voice dub instead of his normal voice. No one but me seemed to notice.

It was terrifying.
It would definitely be odd to see he speaking in a standard american accent.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yo, what am I doin' not bein' in the supporter list for my most wanted newcomer? I posted a full moveset (pg. 7) for cryin' out loud!
The OP has not been edited or updated for quite some time now.

What if this song is the one chosen for Shulk's trailer:
Trailerpon not very cool!
In all seriousness, that would make the trailer very underwhelming.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579

It was terrifying.
I would go to the NOA and strangle the people who decided to make that terrible decision. After I'm done lmao imagining Shulk with a Texan accent...jkjk

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Frankly, the music for Shulk's reveal ought to be something energizing, be it YWKON or Mechanical Rhythm. I could maybe see One Who Gets in Our Way chosen, but it just doesn't have the same kick as the other two, for something like a reveal trailer. It's an excellent choice for a stage theme though. Engage the Enemy is kinda in the same boat.

The Bionis battle theme just isn't very energizing so I'm not really sure if we'll even get that one. (Then again, we got two versions of Ai no Uta on Distant Planet, and Environmental Noises, when Pikmin had several good fight themes to choose from. Thanks Sakurai.

Heropon's Theme might be on there, but in all seriousness I'm not sure I'd be very excited to fight to it...

As for voices. ADAM HOWDEN OR IT'S NOT SHULK. WAAAAH.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I'd imagine the trailer would be Shulk saving a character in his visions using either Monado Speed or Sheild just to replicate scenes from the game. As for music, Irregular Bound or You Will Know Our Names would work perfectly.
I would go to the NOA and strangle the people who decided to make that terrible decision. After I'm done lmao imagining Shulk with a Texan accent...jkjk
I'm imagining him with a Texan accent now that you mention it... its so awkward

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Shulk's voice actor, what has he done in between Xenoblade and now?

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Frankly, the music for Shulk's reveal ought to be something energizing, be it YWKON or Mechanical Rhythm. I could maybe see One Who Gets in Our Way chosen, but it just doesn't have the same kick as the other two, for something like a reveal trailer. It's an excellent choice for a stage theme though. Engage the Enemy is kinda in the same boat.

The Bionis battle theme just isn't very energizing so I'm not really sure if we'll even get that one. (Then again, we got two versions of Ai no Uta on Distant Planet, and Environmental Noises, when Pikmin had several good fight themes to choose from. Thanks Sakurai.

Heropon's Theme might be on there, but in all seriousness I'm not sure I'd be very excited to fight to it...

As for voices. ADAM HOWDEN OR IT'S NOT SHULK. WAAAAH.
They could always make a more energetic remix of Bionis Battle Theme, but i would rather have a more faster, battle esque arrangement of the Main Theme.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Speaking of Shulk's voice actor, what has he done in between Xenoblade and now?
Well, according to IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3540491/

The last thing he did was the voice of Anders in Dragon Age II. So it's been about three years? Hopefully he'll be down with being Shulk again (or they could just use clips from Xenoblade, but that's just not authentic enough...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom