• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
I don't see how trophies deconfirm anything. All characters get trophies just like in the past games.

D

Deleted member

I don't see how trophies deconfirm anything. All characters get trophies just like in the past games.
I highly doubt that Sakurai would reveal a trophy of a playable character before actually revealing the playable character.

I do feel sorry for the W101 fans who wanted Red playable, and I hope that Shulk won't suffer the same fate.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
I highly doubt that Sakurai would reveal a trophy of a playable character before actually revealing the playable character.

I do feel sorry for the W101 fans who wanted Red playable, and I hope that Shulk won't suffer the same fate.
That's true. Then again, Sakurai could just be trolling us, as he usually does. It isn't too far-fetched to think that he tricked us into thinking that Red wouldn't be playable.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
You won't be seeing Shulk just a trophy anytime soon, you people don't realize how much merits Xenoblade has since the game came out in 2010.
No need to worry at all.
Well, I obviously don't think that's the only merit it has, hahaha. I could probably fill a few pages with the merits Xenoblade has for Smash.

But yeah.

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
I think you guys are forgetting the most important thing that helps differentiate Shulk from the likes of Dillon and Wonder Red. Unlike these guys, Shulk has a little thing called sex appeal. And let's not pretend like this isn't something Sakurai takes into serious consideration with these humanoid characters.

etc.

Yup, I'd say Shulk fits in perfectly with the rest of these guys. The poor guy doesn't stand a chance against Sakurai's... uh... "photography skills."

(not an actual spoiler)

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Okay, so, story time.

Isaac is my #2 most wanted SSB character right now (on the heels of Toad). I have, for a while now, seen Isaac and Shulk as competitors. Yes, I know, "they aren't competing any more than any other two newcomers, blah blah blah." 2 new blonde, sword-and-magic wielding, unrepresented RPG characters both for the same game that supposedly has a limited roster? I'll believe it when I see it. Honestly, it's more likely that neither will make the playable cut than both will. But I digress.

I want Isaac reeeeeally badly, but the thing is, I like Shulk, too. I played the heck out of Xenoblade a couple years ago, and it ranks high in my book of favorite games. It's just that Shulk never struck me as a SSB character. Isaac is custom made for a Smash game, whereas I feel that Xenoblade (and thereby Shulk himself) was just too JRPG-ish. You know, brooding and story-heavy and melodramatic and kinda religiously uncomfortable (not as bad as Xenosaga, mind you). I dunno, he just felt weird to me to be fighting alongside Mario, Link, Pikachu, etc., even though I truly like him and his game.

So, I had been trying to wrap my brain around him being a contender and was at a point when I would be cool with him getting in, just not at the expense of Isaac when... Gematsu leak happened. I didn't take it as gospel, but I did consider it to be possible. And that left me facing the reality that Shulk may happen and Isaac may not. So what do I do? I start replaying Xenoblade, the game that sucked 140+ hours out of my life.

The dangers of sleep deprivation and melodrama overload aside, this playthrough is doing its intended job. It's reacquainting me with the character with Smash Bros in mind the whole way. Now, I can't say that I wouldn't still prefer Isaac if I had to choose between the two, but I can now say that no matter who else may or may not be in the game....

Shulk for SSB4.

D

Deleted member

Good news, people :

Monolith Soft's X coming out worldwide in 2014.

All together now :

Let's fiiiiiiind the key we've lost
All the people cry in vain
Tryyyyyyyy to live your life
Endless Sky where I can fight

Tell me what's in here
Tell me you're awake
End is always heeeeeeeere
While the long time whiiiiiiiirl

There's a vooooiiiice that says
Your heart or my soul

And the suuuuuuuun comes down
With all of my calls

So where's your feeling
And where is your life

Forgotten world
Nobody's ever seeeeeeeen

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Hoping for an E3 reveal alongside more information about X. I've heard the theory that they will reveal Smash newcomers after trailers about different Nintendo games, but honestly that seems too good to be true... maybe one or two newcomers at most

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I think you guys are forgetting the most important thing that helps differentiate Shulk from the likes of Dillon and Wonder Red. Unlike these guys, Shulk has a little thing called sex appeal. And let's not pretend like this isn't something Sakurai takes into serious consideration with these humanoid characters.

etc.

Yup, I'd say Shulk fits in perfectly with the rest of these guys. The poor guy doesn't stand a chance against Sakurai's... uh... "photography skills."

(not an actual spoiler)
That's...a pretty valid point. Same can be said for Chrom and literally every main Fire Emblem character.

Maybe that's why Wario is welcomed in the roster, because he isn't a picture-perfect I wanna do date you person, at least for most of us.

Last edited:

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
Maybe that's why Wario is welcomed in the roster, because he isn't a picture-perfect I wanna do date you person, at least for most of us.
Wario was also the least liked newcomer when Brawl was first revealed in 2006. Yeah, I'd say being relatively attractive acts in a character's favour, if only because people tend to prefer good-looking things in general. I guess you could argue the same thing for cute characters like Kirby and Yoshi since they're eye-candy as well.

D

Deleted member

YES! I am so freaking happy! I hope that we get a release date at E3 plus a Shulk reveal! Oh man, that would be a beautiful thing to do the day of or after Xenoblade's birthday!

Wario was also the least liked newcomer when Brawl was first revealed in 2006. Yeah, I'd say being relatively attractive acts in a character's favour, if only because people tend to prefer good-looking things in general. I guess you could argue the same thing for cute characters like Kirby and Yoshi since they're eye-candy as well.
Am I the only person that likes Wario as a character? I have been waiting for him to get in Smash since 64 and I was so freaking happy when he got confirmed at E3 2006!

Blue Rogue

Smash Ace
NNID
ValiantVyse
3DS FC
4527-9345-8740
hah I didn't care for Wario at first, but the goofy lil troll grew on me. My second favorite behind Lucas so far.
X + SSBShulk or we riot

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Well I just hate Wario as a person, but I didn't get into Smash until after Brawl came out, so I didn't think much of his inclusion.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
So this post will contain spoilers for Xenoblade. You've been warned in advance.

As i said before, I came here to support Shulk and said I had never played Xenoblade and @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 called me out on it and said if i truly wanted to support Shulk, i'd buy and play the game. I took him up on it and have been playing but avoiding this thread for fear of spoilers since i'm working my way through the game rather slowly. The spoiler tag will contain the portion of the plot i worked through in the past two~ish weeks:
I managed to save Melia in the tomb-thingy with the Telethia and Hom woman the Monado wouldn't work on. That fight was a pain, geez. I continued onward, unlocking the door to Prison Island and the High Entia Emperor has gone there. Alvis seems like an evil dude, but maybe he's a double agent? Not sure what's going on with him just yet. Shulk and crew beat that beast Dunban called primitive, the black stingray looking beast with the blue markings, and i myself just entered Prison Island. The Emperor unsealed the purple giant. It's funny: I never put two and two together that prisons contain people and the seal could be on a person. I was shocked to see the giant in shackles and i was upset i needed to log for the night because it'd just gotten more interesting. I can see why people on here think Prison Island would be a good stage and i haven't even explored it yet. I'm level 43.
Keep in mind, i don't want this post responded to or someone telling me i'm right with my predictions, other spoilers, or how much longer i need to complete the game. I like being surprised. Thanks guys. I'm hoping to complete the game before E3 in case Shulk gets confirmed there (which i believe he will as a tie-in with X).

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
I managed to save Melia in the tomb-thingy with the Telethia and Hom woman the Monado wouldn't work on. That fight was a pain, geez.
That fight WAS a pain, but the Monado doesn't work on any (sentient, as far as I can tell) beings from Bionis, not just Homs. Not sure if that was just a typo or if you were confused. Always good to see people playing Xenoblade, though. Godspeed (huehuehuehue), and it's probably wise to keep avoiding the thread. Heh.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
That fight WAS a pain, but the Monado doesn't work on any (sentient, as far as I can tell) beings from Bionis, not just Homs. Not sure if that was just a typo or if you were confused. Always good to see people playing Xenoblade, though. Godspeed (huehuehuehue), and it's probably wise to keep avoiding the thread. Heh.
More like i just couldn't remember her name and it was worded funny ^^;

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Hmm, I've noticed that Chrom detractors make the argument that he would be just another sword wielder, and that made me wonder, does Shulk get the same complaint? I wouldn't think so since the Monado is so drastically different from an average blade that it probably could be classified as something other then a sword, but I figured it was worth asking.

D

Deleted member

Hmm, I've noticed that Chrom detractors make the argument that he would be just another sword wielder, and that made me wonder, does Shulk get the same complaint? I wouldn't think so since the Monado is so drastically different from an average blade that it probably could be classified as something other then a sword, but I figured it was worth asking.
That is a common complaint that I see with Shulk is that he would be "another sword user." Unfortunately, not a lot of people have played (or even seen gameplay of) Xenoblade to know how different the Monado is from other swords.
There is a lot that Sakurai can do with Shulk to heavily separate him from the cast and people don't even know that the Monado is nothing like the Falchion.

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
Some people have been saying that. Especially on those awful Gamefaqs message boards. Full of Shulk haters there.

But anyway, if people thing someone with a laser/magic sword that can do multiple abilities and gives the user the ability to see the future is just another sword user. They are sadly mistaken.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Some people have been saying that. Especially on those awful Gamefaqs message boards. Full of Shulk haters there.

But anyway, if people thing someone with a laser/magic sword that can do multiple abilities and gives the user the ability to see the future is just another sword user. They are sadly mistaken.
Well its Gamefaqs, they only think of relevance, importance etc. stuff Sakurai doesn't really care for. Being fun to play & standing out among the rest of the cast with a unique playstyle is what Sakurai cares the most for & boy our friend Shulk doesn't have to worry on that department imo

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The sad truth is there's a bunch of objective idiots out there who look at a character's weapon type before anything else, or just don't bother to do the research.

Shulk has no reason to be anywhere close to the same as Link/Marth/Ike/MK/Pit. I mean seriously. Marth and Shulk are as different from each other as Greninja and Little Mac. Well almost, at least the first two are both human.

I really hope Chrom blows people away in the uniqueness department, just so people stop ********.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
The sad truth is there's a bunch of objective idiots out there who look at a character's weapon type before anything else, or just don't bother to do the research.

Shulk has no reason to be anywhere close to the same as Link/Marth/Ike/MK/Pit. I mean seriously. Marth and Shulk are as different from each other as Greninja and Little Mac. Well almost, at least the first two are both human.

I really hope Chrom blows people away in the uniqueness department, just so people stop *****ing.
Most people I encountered on Gamefaqs still think Lucario & Ike are clones of Mewtwo & Roy, while in reality Brawl only had 1 real clone & that was Toon Link, so its really is talking to wall sometimes xp

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of sex appeal: I guess Shulk's alternate costume would be this:

*no really a spoiler.
Not as good as naked Dunban, but if Shulk gets in SSB4, that is most certainly going to be my most used costume for him if it is one. XD

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
So this post will contain spoilers for Xenoblade. You've been warned in advance.

As i said before, I came here to support Shulk and said I had never played Xenoblade and @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 called me out on it and said if i truly wanted to support Shulk, i'd buy and play the game. I took him up on it and have been playing but avoiding this thread for fear of spoilers since i'm working my way through the game rather slowly. The spoiler tag will contain the portion of the plot i worked through in the past two~ish weeks:
I managed to save Melia in the tomb-thingy with the Telethia and Hom woman the Monado wouldn't work on. That fight was a pain, geez. I continued onward, unlocking the door to Prison Island and the High Entia Emperor has gone there. Alvis seems like an evil dude, but maybe he's a double agent? Not sure what's going on with him just yet. Shulk and crew beat that beast Dunban called primitive, the black stingray looking beast with the blue markings, and i myself just entered Prison Island. The Emperor unsealed the purple giant. It's funny: I never put two and two together that prisons contain people and the seal could be on a person. I was shocked to see the giant in shackles and i was upset i needed to log for the night because it'd just gotten more interesting. I can see why people on here think Prison Island would be a good stage and i haven't even explored it yet. I'm level 43.
Keep in mind, i don't want this post responded to or someone telling me i'm right with my predictions, other spoilers, or how much longer i need to complete the game. I like being surprised. Thanks guys. I'm hoping to complete the game before E3 in case Shulk gets confirmed there (which i believe he will as a tie-in with X).
Guy, I'm in this point of the game too. Cool.

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
Okay, so I just beat the superboss from Satorl Marsh (again), but this time I decided to go with nude Dunban and wow, let's just say I was expecting a much tougher fight than that. In the end, Dunban had over 300 agility. Pair that with Monado Shield/Monado Armour and some Haste Up gems and some of these guys become surprisingly easy.

If you haven't tried it yet, you should. It's refreshing to fight these guys without having to worry about equipping the right armour and the right gems for once.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
A naked playthrough was the first thing I went for when starting a NG+ playthrough. (Well, mostly naked. I like goggles on Shulk and Sleek Oil armor on Melia too much to go completely naked.) It's really amusing seeing giant epic cutscenes fought with the team in their underwear. :b

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Well people says Shulk can see the future. But how that can translate into Smash gameplay? (I didn't read movesets posts, It's 1am to me, such lazyness).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom