• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I still haven't completed that puzzle. The only one that I did was the Pikmin one, one of the very first StreetPass puzzles.
I was very pleasantly surprised that Xenoblade got its own Puzzle Swap to be honest. I just hope that this means that Nintendo will embrace this series in the future. I would love to put Xenoblade next to Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Pokemon, and Metroid.
And this is a pretty good point actually, Xenoblade is one of the few new games that got a puzzle in Mii Plaza, the other ones are Dillon's Rolling Western, and Rhythm Heaven Fever. And it wasn't even for advertising -i believe- because it was released just last year.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And this is a pretty good point actually, Xenoblade is one of the few new games that got a puzzle in Mii Plaza, the other ones are Dillon's Rolling Western, and Rhythm Heaven Fever. And it wasn't even for advertising -i believe- because it was released just last year.
The Xenoblade Puzzle Swap was released last year with Xenoblade itself being released in 2010 in Japan and 2012 everywhere else.
I'm glad that Nintendo is acknowledging this series and kinda makes me optimistic for Shulk in Smash. I hope that X proves to be a success so that Nintendo and Monolith would push out more and more sequels. I would hate to see this series on the back burner, kinda like the treatment that Star Fox and F-Zero are getting.

Groose

Smash Champion
Sadly me too, i never streetpassed any person, but the only way is getting coins, gotta shake that 3DS!
I have about three hundred. Every single one of them came from either my trip to Nintendo World in NYC and from the Zelda Concert that I went to. I would have had a lot more if it weren't for the ten at a time cap. I don't think I have the Xenoblade Puzzle finished; if I remember correctly, I only have a few pieces to it.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
I'm about 3 pieces away from completing the Xenoblade puzzle, I go to Mcdonald's to streetpass otherwise no one shows up.

D

Deleted member

Y'know, one of Shulk's taunts should be summoning a raincloud over his head and having it rain on him.

It's funny because Operation Rainfall...

Okay, I'm leaving...

Last edited by a moderator:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Y'know, one of Shulk's taunts should be summoning a raincloud over his head and having it rain on him.

It's funny because Operation Rainfall...

Okay, I'm leaving...
Or better yet, he pulls out a chair, takes his shirt off, sits on the chair, and then summons the raincloud.

Gotta pander to them fangirls yo.
:shades:

D

Deleted Member

Would it be better for Shulk to use one of the replicas (perhaps they could change for each alt costume) instead of Zanza's Monado? Since Zanza turned out to be the true antagonist, it might be better if Shulk used a more "clean" sword. The Monado III could be used for the Final Smash

D

Deleted member

Would it be better for Shulk to use one of the replicas (perhaps they could change for each alt costume) instead of Zanza's Monado? Since Zanza turned out to be the true antagonist, it might be better if Shulk used a more "clean" sword. The Monado III could be used for the Final Smash
I don't think that would be an issue. The Monado (also known as Zanza's Monado) is the most distinct weapon that Shulk uses. I think that it feels right for Shulk to use it in Smash. Monado III may spoil Xenoblade.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I pretty much agree with what @Brawler610 said. While the Monado III, and any of the Replicas would be highly suitable choices for a final smash/default weapons respectively, the majority of the game, Shulk is wielding the Monado I/Monado II, so having anything other than one of those, particularly the first one, would be both odd and seem really spoilery at the same time. The Monado has been pretty much marketed as Shulk's weapon.

I can certainly see the appeal to your idea though, I just think him having the Monado is a safer option that's perfectly fine.

Sorry! Forgot the spoiler tags!

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member

I pretty much agree with what @Brawler610 said. While the Monado III, and any of the Replicas would be highly suitable choices for a final smash/default weapons respectively, the majority of the game, Shulk is wielding the Monado I/Monado II, so having anything other than one of those, particularly the first one, would be both odd and seem really spoilery at the same time. The Monado has been pretty much marketed as Shulk's weapon.

I can certainly see the appeal to your idea though, I just think him having the Monado is a safer option that's perfectly fine.

Sorry! Forgot the spoiler tags!
Monado III can still be used without really spoiling much. Players will just assume the sword is a powered up Monado that Shulk uses somewhere in Xenoblade. And the replicas aren't going to spoil too much (again, many might think that the replicas are just an upgrade the Monado gets). It's true that Monado II would make sense market wise, but at the same time it also feel very inappropriate for Shulk to use from a story-point of view.

Also, "fears of spoilers" should not have an impact on what kind of stages/items/ect show up. I'm not saying trophy descriptions should tell things like Telephia are the true form of High Entia/Zanza is the true villain/ect, but they shouldn't have to "hold back" on some stuff.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Monado III can still be used without really spoiling much. Players will just assume the sword is a powered up Monado that Shulk uses somewhere in Xenoblade. And the replicas aren't going to spoil too much (again, many might think that the replicas are just an upgrade the Monado gets). It's true that Monado II would make sense market wise, but at the same time it also feel very inappropriate for Shulk to use from a story-point of view.

Also, "fears of spoilers" should not have an impact on what kind of stages/items/ect show up. I'm not saying trophy descriptions should tell things like Telephia are the true form of High Entia/Zanza is the true villain/ect, but they shouldn't have to "hold back" on some stuff.
All the same, spoilers neither here nor there, I think they'll go with Monado I just because it's the iconic look for the sword. I don't even remember what half the replicas look like, because I didn't use them all that much. I do agree with you about Monado II though, and you have a point about the FS. It won't be that big of a deal.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't think that Monado III would make sense as a Final Smash. It's Shulk's Monado rather than Zanza's Monado. Seeing it transform just for Shulk's Final Smash would be odd, especially when their designs are rather different.

I'm cautiously hyped for E3. I'm excited... yet at the same time, I'm nervous. I just hope that we see the Heir to the Monado in his own trailer at E3.

D

Deleted member

I just think that revealing Shulk at E3 is a perfect opportunity that would feel weird just skipping over.
I feel the same way. Shulk just feels so right to reveal at E3. They can show his trailer and I bet many Nintendo fans will get hyped for him. Whether they like Shulk, love the music that is playing (hopefully You Will Know Our Names), or love his uniqueness (there is a lot they could do with the Monado), it just feels so right to reveal Shulk. Not to mention that they could tie his reveal with X footage and the fact that E3 is around the same time as Xenoblade's 4 year anniversary.

I think that glossing over revealing Shulk would be wrong given what Shulk can bring with him at this year's E3. I can say the same for Pac-Man as well. I'm expecting 2-4 newcomers; I'm hoping that one of them is Shulk.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I don't think we'll see individual trailers per character. I thinking more of one big trailer with multiple reveals throughout.

OR

Each character does get their own trailer, only they are all spread out during sections on separate games, like say Shulk for X or Ridley for a new Metroid.

D

Deleted member

I don't think we'll see individual trailers per character. I thinking more of one big trailer with multiple reveals throughout.

OR

Each character does get their own trailer, only they are all spread out during sections on separate games, like say Shulk for X or Ridley for a new Metroid.
I think that each and every character will get their own unique trailers. If anything, I'm expecting something like Shulk's trailer to start and then it transitions into Pac-Man's trailer for example. They did this at E3 where the Villager's "trailer" transitioned into Mega Man's trailer.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Shulk should have his own trailer in order to make the most out of the reveal.

Also I would appreciate a detailed explanation over how Shulk will work.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
The more I think about Shulk, the more curious I become as to how he'll play. The Monado would give him the largest range of any non-projectile attack, even more than Ike or Dedede.

How are they gonna balance that?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The more I think about Shulk, the more curious I become as to how he'll play. The Monado would give him the largest range of any non-projectile attack, even more than Ike or Dedede.

How are they gonna balance that?
You're saying that like this stuff never happened in fighting games before.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
I support his inclusion even thought he's only been in one game...I'm all about that music, man. It's GOT to be in this game.

Plus, why not have him in? Why not make this Smash special by including a new character who's starred in one single game...why not? No good reason not to.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I would take a stage if Shulk doesn't make it in, because I agree... that music HAS to be in the game.

I just watched the video for the Streetpass puzzle and I want to run out and grab the collectable SO bad.

D

Deleted member

Found this statement in an article about Japanese reaction to the Greninja reveal and the direct in general: http://legendsoflocalization.com/how-did-japanese-fans-react-to-the-greninja-smash-bros-update/

"Why aren’t there any Xenoblade characters yet?"

Sums up my thoughts exactly
I agree with this statement and the "Where's Wario?!" one.

If Shulk gets confirmed at E3, I want to see how Japan reacts to his confirmation. Oh man, he would make so many people happy!

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
That makes me wonder how aware japanese fans are of Operation Rainfall and all that. Like, I wonder if that sort of western demand for the game is something that japanese Smash 4 speculators bring up.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Okay guys, it's that time again- my Xenoblade play-through update. As stated before, I supported Shulk and Bluepikmin called me out on it and told me to buy and play Xenoblade to truly support Shulk. So without further ado, he we go:

Last update i stopped at Prison Island. I went through the cut scene with Zanza and received the Monado II and discovered Fiora's alive. Afterwards, Shulk x Melia shipping talk (who i'm starting to ship myself even though my team is Shulk, Reyn, and Sharla) with Sharla and the ice area (i forgot the name). I spent a significant time grinding (read: 2 hours) to tackle the area easier. Got the magma rock to melt the ice door and continue along until i met Metal Face and found out it was Mumkhar, who i completely forgot about because i thought he was dead. It certainly explains why the Mechons all still have British accents :awesome:. Alvis and Dickson are super ambiguous but i'll find out what's going on with them eventually. I ended last night at level 50 inside the 5th gate at Galahad Fortress.

As, again, previously stated, thanks for keeping everything in spoiler tags on this thread. Don't tell me how far i am to the end or in general. I'm trying to beat the game before E3 in case Shulk's reveal trailer spoils anything.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
@ egaddmario egaddmario All I'm going to tell you is that the best is still to come. You have a lot of spoiler tags to look forward too, as well.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I presume I'm going to be the only person that would play the song "Holy Orders (Be Just or Be Dead)" while playing as Shulk during a climatic match.

Now you may be thinking "Why not You Will Know Our Names?", and the answer is simply because a little Guilty Gear wouldn't hurt.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
All I'm really thinking is that I'm disappointed everyone mentions YWKON and never Mechanical Rhythm when it comes to talking about cool trailer songs for Shulk. I'm not really that big a fan of YWKON, but I think that's because it reminds me a lot of music from a Spongebob game on the Gamecube that I used to play all the time. Little strange, I know, but every time I fight a unique monster all I can think of is Spongebob surfing on his tongue down a mountain. Which may be why I get my butt handed to me by them so much, in retrospect. :b

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I STILL think that a "Chain Attack" that ends with Shulk doing Monado Buster or Cyclone should be his final smash. (Reyn and Sharla make the most sense if they limit the "other party members" to two.)
I didn't think a "traveling" Xenoblade stage would make sense, but I just saw a Rogers Base video on youtube where he mentions a Xenoblade stage that takes place on

Junks

and that makes SOOOO much sense. You could have Mechons and Telethia and other enemy hazards, and it would be a great way to see various zones in the game.

D

Deleted member

All I'm really thinking is that I'm disappointed everyone mentions YWKON and never Mechanical Rhythm when it comes to talking about cool trailer songs for Shulk.
If You Will Know Our Names isn't the song that they use for his trailer, I can see them use Mechanical Rhythm. However, I see them choose YWKON as it seems a bit more appropriate for his trailer and it's one of, if not (arguably) THE most popular song from Xenoblade.
I bet that people who haven't played Xenoblade would be hyped for the music alone.

I didn't think a "traveling" Xenoblade stage would make sense, but I just saw a Rogers Base video on youtube where he mentions a Xenoblade stage that takes place on

Junks

and that makes SOOOO much sense. You could have Mechons and Telethia and other enemy hazards, and it would be a great way to see various zones in the game.
I would love this idea.
[collapse=Potential Xenoblade spoilers?]It would be a fantastic way to see all of the areas within the game like Guar Plains, Colony 9, Satorl Marsh, Eryth Sea, Mechonis Field, and so on. Thinking about it, it reminds me of Lylat Cruise from Brawl.[/collapse]

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
All I'm really thinking is that I'm disappointed everyone mentions YWKON and never Mechanical Rhythm when it comes to talking about cool trailer songs for Shulk. I'm not really that big a fan of YWKON, but I think that's because it reminds me a lot of music from a Spongebob game on the Gamecube that I used to play all the time. Little strange, I know, but every time I fight a unique monster all I can think of is Spongebob surfing on his tongue down a mountain. Which may be why I get my butt handed to me by them so much, in retrospect. :b
Are you saying this sounds too much like this or this?

Either way, this is a funny comparison.

Junks

Yes! This is perfect.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'm really surprised no one had brought up that particular location yet. I still think both Sword Valley and Prison Island have a decent chance of becoming stages but
[collapse=sort of spoilers?] Junks [/collapse]
makes a ridiculous amount of sense.

Man, I have never seen a thread with so many spoiler tags. It's funny that if it became a stage it would be a giant spoiler even though we are tip toeing around it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Shulk's stage should just be completely blacked out if the console doesn't detect Xenoblade save data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom