• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
This is my choice of music I want to see in the trailer:
After he gets hurt from the other characters(Like Mega Man's trailer) The Monado transforms to Monado 3 and this music starts playing that's how I want to see the trailer play out.

Morbi

Scavenger
Shulk would actually be an interesting reveal; he seems obvious to speculating veterans, we are obviously aware of who he is. However, the general public does not, so that would be a fairly intriguing way to include a fan-favorite character while still maintaining the sense of surprise for many who are not up to par on Smash expectations. Sakurai obviously enjoys an interesting reveal, something that most do not see coming, Shulk could be one of those characters.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
I feel like I'm gonna have a hard time adjusting to his English voice, since I played Xenoblade with Japanese voices on.

That said, voice options would be really great for SSB4.

Morbi

Scavenger
I feel like I'm gonna have a hard time adjusting to his English voice, since I played Xenoblade with Japanese voices on.

That said, voice options would be really great for SSB4.
The voice is really the only thing that I actually like about Shulk; I don't even know what his Japanese voice sounds like, does he still have the British accent? :troll:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I thought the English VA for Shulk did a pretty good job in Xenoblade overall. Though I'm usually pretty generous when it comes to my opinion on Voice Acting.

D

Deleted member

Well, according to IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3540491/

The last thing he did was the voice of Anders in Dragon Age II. So it's been about three years? Hopefully he'll be down with being Shulk again (or they could just use clips from Xenoblade, but that's just not authentic enough...)
Well, according to an interview, he mentioned that his latest project was a top Tweet (or whatever it's called on Twitter). If Dragon Age II was truly the last game he did, then I can possibly see that he would be referring to Smash. I doubt that he would turn down the offer to reprise his role as Shulk.
I liked his voice work as Shulk. He made him sound both smart and tough.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Speaking of Xenoblade voice actors, a funny thing happened to me early in my playthrough. The RPG I had played most recently before it was Dark Souls II, in which Fiora's voice actress plays the character Rosabeth of Melfia.

I realized the voice was the same when I was pondering Fiora's character after that one thing happened. I was remembering her lines and my brain did a weird autocorrect:

"The breeze feels so good. I wish it could stay like this forever...

I'm always here! So come and see me when you're in town!"

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Well, according to an interview, he mentioned that his latest project was a top Tweet (or whatever it's called on Twitter). If Dragon Age II was truly the last game he did, then I can possibly see that he would be referring to Smash. I doubt that he would turn down the offer to reprise his role as Shulk.
I liked his voice work as Shulk. He made him sound both smart and tough.
My twitter isn't very good, but I believe that refers to something that is trending on Twitter, which is like the ten or hundred or w/e most popular things on Twitter atm. Question is, was #ssb4 trending when he did this interview?

D

Deleted member

My twitter isn't very good, but I believe that refers to something that is trending on Twitter, which is like the ten or hundred or w/e most popular things on Twitter atm. Question is, was #ssb4 trending when he did this interview?
*shrugs*
I dunno. One could assume that if he hasn't done anything after Xenoblade. I bet that he has voice acted for a couple of games that we don't even know about.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Shulk would actually be an interesting reveal; he seems obvious to speculating veterans, we are obviously aware of who he is. However, the general public does not, so that would be a fairly intriguing way to include a fan-favorite character while still maintaining the sense of surprise for many who are not up to par on Smash expectations. Sakurai obviously enjoys an interesting reveal, something that most do not see coming, Shulk could be one of those characters.
I would be really surprised if he was revealed as a Smash newcomer at E3 and it wasn't staged as a fake out regarding information about 'X.' Perhaps even at the end of a segment actually discussing 'X' (maybe even giving the game an actual name, that would be nice.)

Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Shulk doesn't seem like the type of character to be unlockable. And there's only about a couple months until release... Shulk confirmed for E3

D

Deleted member

I can see Shulk be an unlockable and a starter. It really comes down to Sakurai as to what role he should be. I'm hoping that he's a starter because I want to try him out immediately if he is playable!

I dunno how this E3 will go. I can definitely see us get Pac-Man... but I am hoping for Shulk to be revealed.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
I can see Shulk be an unlockable and a starter. It really comes down to Sakurai as to what role he should be. I'm hoping that he's a starter because I want to try him out immediately if he is playable!

I dunno how this E3 will go. I can definitely see us get Pac-Man... but I am hoping for Shulk to be revealed.
Marth was unlockable, and they are sort of similar characters (both from RPG and use swords, etc) so he might be unlockable. If he is we definitely wouldn't see him at E3. But in Brawl characters like Olimar were not unlockable, and Shulk would probably be the only one from his series. Ike was also not unlockable

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Marth was unlockable in Melee, but Melee came out when the Smash franchise wasn't the monster it is today. It would seem weird to introduce a character from a new and popular franchise (one that could stir up some hype with the hardcore) be hidden away until launch.

By the way, as far as trailer music goes, I'm surprised I'm not seeing any support for a remix of Engage the Enemy. It was pretty much the "epic cut scene music" of the game.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I'm thinking (hoping) Shulk will be revealed at E3, however I'd go with him being unlockable. I'm also onboard with the X Shulk tease, but that may be too obvious for Sakurai so maybe a Yarn Yoshi tease lol

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Unlockable slots make most sense to me as new characters from old franchises (like Chrom, Dixie, or Palutena) or representative from a retro or dormant series (like Takamaru.) I know Ness and Captain Falcon in 64, and Marth and Roy in Melee go against this..... but it's just the way I see it. Shulk seems like a starter to me. Not that I would complain as long as he made it in!

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Unlockable slots make most sense to me as new characters from old franchises (like Chrom, Dixie, or Palutena) or representative from a retro or dormant series (like Takamaru.) I know Ness and Captain Falcon in 64, and Marth and Roy in Melee go against this..... but it's just the way I see it. Shulk seems like a starter to me. Not that I would complain as long as he made it in!
Marth is most likely starter, and if Chrom is in he'd be unlockable.

D

Deleted member

I'm unsure if Shulk will even have a tease. Shulk's trailer should be paired up with X or not paired up at all.

I'm also onboard with the X Shulk tease, but that may be too obvious for Sakurai so maybe a Yarn Yoshi tease lol
But this would be hilarious! :laugh: Yarn Shulk for Smash!

By the way, as far as trailer music goes, I'm surprised I'm not seeing any support for a remix of Engage the Enemy. It was pretty much the "epic cut scene music" of the game.

I would love to have a remix of Engage the Enemy. I would either re-orchestrate it to fit into Smash's gameplay or make a whole new version of it in general. I love Engage the Enemy, but I wouldn't want it to play when I'm fighting; it's not that fitting.
Yet I would love to hear Satorl Marsh - Night in Smash.

I think that characters like Ness, Captain Falcon, and Marth should be starters while characters like Lucas and Ike are unlockables. The reason why I think they should do this is because Ness, Captain Falcon, and Marth are the faces of their respective franchises (well... in Ness's case, the most recognized one).
Shulk falls under that category as he is the Marth or Pikachu of the "X series." He's pretty much going to be the face of these games from now on. So, I think that Shulk should be a starter, but I can see him be unlockable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Marth is most likely starter, and if Chrom is in he'd be unlockable.
I meant Marth in Melee. I was really talking about the games they debuted in, since I was thinking about unlockable newcomers.

Serpdrako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Imperfect_Scars
3DS FC
3136-6642-7063
Engage the Enemy just makes so much sense, as someone stated earlier it is the "epic scene" music of the game. In fact, before I listened to the soundtrack and only heard the music in the game, I actually called it that. :)

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
So what enemies do you guys think we'll be getting in Smash Run (and whatever Smash Run's equivalent for Wii U will be)? Mechon, surely, but which ones? I'd say these are the most memorable ones:

Mechon M63

Mechon M51

Mechon M31

Mechon M84

Mechon M71

And of course, the grandaddy of them all:

Obviously, that last one would be better suited for a background cameo at most (speaking of which, I'd love to see Reinforcement M104 and Territorial Rotbart fighting each other in the background, but that' just a pipe dream of mine). The rest of them are fair game, though. Any others I'm missing?

Serpdrako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Imperfect_Scars
3DS FC
3136-6642-7063
Some of them would probably be too big, but who knows. I want M63, M51, and M31 with grandaddy either in the background or as a sort of rare "miniboss" type enemy.

Karmantix

Smash Rookie
Assuming Shulk gets in and has his own stage, what sort of boss do you think Sakurai would use? Metal Face makes the most sense to me, but there are a couple others that I could see, such as
Xord or Egil/Gadolt in their mechon
Thoughts?

Serpdrako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Imperfect_Scars
3DS FC
3136-6642-7063
Yeah, as far as bosses go Metal Face makes the most sense. For one thing, he is easily the most recognizable boss, and also the one that would fit the most without revealing too much, as he is thrown at you as the initial villain within the first few hours of the game.
I don't see him using Zanza at all due to massive spoilers for a story heavy game like Xenoblade, but like you said Egil or Gadolt in their respective Mechon could work I suppose.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
So what enemies do you guys think we'll be getting in Smash Run (and whatever Smash Run's equivalent for Wii U will be)? Mechon, surely, but which ones? I'd say these are the most memorable ones:

Mechon M63

Mechon M51

Mechon M31

Mechon M84

Mechon M71

And of course, the grandaddy of them all:

Obviously, that last one would be better suited for a background cameo at most (speaking of which, I'd love to see Reinforcement M104 and Territorial Rotbart fighting each other in the background, but that' just a pipe dream of mine). The rest of them are fair game, though. Any others I'm missing?
M63, M51, M31 and M84 would work well. The last two seem perfect sub bosses, that is of course Smash Run would have something like that.
The Telethia as well as some colony enemies like vangs, bunnits and caterpiles would be good choices if you're looking for something from the Bionis.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
My personal favorite is the M64, that thing just looks cool, and is the first Mechon I always think of. M71 is next, and if they have larger enemies in it, (I mean bigger than, say, Bulborbs), it could work fine.

M63 and M31 seem like great additions. And Metal Face or bust for stage boss. Love the idea of him having lines if Shulk is on the stage too. "Oh lookie here, it's the Monado Boy! Wanna gimme your best shot?"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Both of them come from post-Brawl IPs, and failed to be playable.

I do know Shulk is in a different case (older and bigger IP, first-party, X coming soon), but I'm getting a little bit scared about his fate now...

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I wouldn't really compare Xenoblade's main character with the the main character from a random e-Shop title and the main character from The Wonderful Bomba. Shulk still have fair chances to be in the game. Lets not forget that a lot of characters got the shaft when Olimar was added to Brawl. Isaac didn't make it, no Advance Wars character make it, etc.

D

Deleted member

I don't think these trophies hurt Shulk's chances at all.
Dillon comes from an eShop title while Xenoblade is a high-profile title. I don't see how Dillon getting disconfirmed hurts Shulk.
Wonder Red's game was an absolute bomb; I couldn't really see him get in Smash. Xenoblade, on the other hand, proved to be a success despite its limited release at GameStops. So, Wonder Red doesn't hurt Shulk.
I'm just worried about waking up in the morning and seeing a character that I want be a trophy. :sadeyes:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I would have to agree, there is little point of reading into the recent situations with Wonder Red and Dillion. They are not connected to Shulk or Xenoblade in anyway other then existing timeframe, which I don't know if that incrediblely relevent.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
If anything I figure it increases his chances, since it's more room for a character from a recent IP. Xenoblade also has a few years on Wonderful 101, sold about 7 times as much, and reviewed better then it (Wonderful 101 got good reviews, Xenoblade had EXCELLENT reviews.)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
...Frankly I was surprised to see W101 get any mention at all. My second thought was "Well, that's more competition out of Shulk's way."

Although now that I know he had a chance, I do feel pretty bad for his supporters, he seems like a cool character.

I wouldn't expect Shulk to just get the same treatment as those specific characters given their very different circumstances. So I'm not too worried.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I don't know how different W101 is to Xenoblade other than if we sit here and play the numbers game...

Truthfully, the only (imo) significant factor that makes Shulk much different from Wonder Red is the length of time that the games have been out.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I don't know how different W101 is to Xenoblade other than if we sit here and play the numbers game...

Truthfully, the only (imo) significant factor that makes Shulk much different from Wonder Red is the length of time that the games have been out.
It scored better critically (92 on Metacritic compared to a 78 on Metacritic) sold more (860,000 to 190,000 - actually only 4.5 times more, not 7.) So, it was a much bigger game critically AND commercially. On what other metrics are we supposed to judge a game? Nothing against 101, but there is really no reason to compare the games.... Xenoblade was simply a bigger and more successful game.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I tend to consider the fact that MSoft is first party Nintendo significant, but maybe they don't, who knows.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Just by going off of numbers, Xenoblade is a much bigger game in comparison to Wonderful 101.
And like Spazzy said, there is really no reason to compare the two anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom