• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
I'm in Sword Valley, right at the battle against "Metal Face" where he's accompanied by a hoard of Xords. I have an underleveled problem due to not doing sidequests enough (I fight plenty of enemies, but that doesn't seem to be cutting it). I'm just not into doing a bunch of sidequests in games in favor of advancing the main story, which is undoubtedly why I haven't finished this yet.

It also explains why I've barely played any Zelda games...
There's quite a few secret areas across Valak Mountain and Sword Valley that will net you a lot of EXP if you discover them. Finding those might be a good place to start. They're a bit tough to find because they're hidden away, but you might prefer doing some exploration over sidequests or grinding.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
With the collect and killing quests, you can do both grinding and exploring.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
There's quite a few secret areas across Valak Mountain and Sword Valley that will net you a lot of EXP if you discover them. Finding those might be a good place to start. They're a bit tough to find because they're hidden away, but you might prefer doing some exploration over sidequests or grinding.
And then when you find them, jump from them.

D

Deleted member

I think I'm halfway through Xenoblade near the lvl 50s, is that the middle of the game?
I consider the middle of the game to be after...
when you get Monado II.

I remember that I was in the 50s when I reached Sword Valley, so you might be good there.

With the collect and killing quests, you can do both grinding and exploring.
Which is extremely convenient for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Yeah, Sword Valley is where I am coincidentally, I had a feeling about that being near the 50s might mean I'm halfway there based on the slow process of gaining to the next level.

D

Deleted member

Just curious guys, do anyone here have beaten any of the +100 level monsters?
NO!
My levels are around 84-85 right now! I can't fight a super boss! If I wanted to fight them, I would wait until I beat the game because...
I at least want Shulk to have Monado III.

I am currently in Valek Mountain in my New Game Plus play through and, even though I didn't get passed THAT event yet, I still get nervous about that bunny...
That freaking bunny.

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
All of 'em except for Avalanche Abaasy. I can't deal with him, all of my party members die in like 5-10 seconds because touching him is instant death.

I at least want Shulk to have Monado III.
That ain't gonna help you if you can't land a single hit on them. What you're going to need is lots of agility.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
If I'm being honest, then I have to say that I have yet to try New Game +. I don't know if it's because of nostalgia or something else, but I just don't like starting the game at a high level with powerful weapons and armor for some reason. And yet, that prevents me from getting the most awesome stuff and challenging the super bosses. I guess I just want to relive the first time I ever played Xenoblade. The game's so beautiful that I want to experience it all again with a clean slate, much like my first playthrough.

Guess I'm just weird like that..:scared:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
If I'm being honest, then I have to say that I have yet to try New Game +. I don't know if it's because of nostalgia or something else, but I just don't like starting the game at a high level with powerful weapons and armor for some reason. And yet, that prevents me from getting the most awesome stuff and challenging the super bosses. I guess I just want to relive the first time I ever played Xenoblade. The game's so beautiful that I want to experience it all again with a clean slate, much like my first playthrough.

I completely agree with you. I have yet to play new game + and will definitely be starting from square one come my second playthrough. I feel like the game won't be as fun if I kill everything with relative ease. The tension of the boss fights would pretty much be gone. However, the story, characters, music and atmosphere will still be there. I'm curious to hear from some people who have gone through New Game + and how it compared to their initial runs.

D

Deleted member

That ain't gonna help you if you can't land a single hit on them. What you're going to need is lots of agility.
Although I will need tons of Agility, it is still nice to have that weapon.
I'll eventually challenge the Superbosses when I'm ready.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
I can see that the discussion has shifted to the actual game (I'm playing through right now too), but I wanted to ask about Shulk in SSB4.

It's most likely been brought up a thousand times in these 59 pages, but I simply don't want to go through each page to find the answers I'm looking for. The Monado is huge when it's activated. How can Sakurai possibly make the range on this thing fair without making it look like a poor man's lightsaber? I know you fine people (;)) have made some good justifications for this, and I'd like to see them myself!

I'm all about having Shulk in the game; I just want to know how the Monado would work properly in it so that I can feel more confident about his possible inclusion.

D

Deleted member

I'm all about having Shulk in the game; I just want to know how the Monado would work properly in it so that I can feel more confident about his possible inclusion.
I say that Shulk could...
1. Have his Monado be a bit shorter, but he would be a heavy hitter.
2. Be a good damage dealer with some, limited good finishers, but his range is incredible. Moves like Monado Buster, Stream Edge, Back Slash, and Slit Edge support that he would be a character with amazing range.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Don't know why everyone is complaining about the range when characters from other fighting games have been getting away with ranged attacks so long it can reach across the stage for years. Though keep in mind that in those cases, the characters are built around that so it doesn't become overwhelming.

Also, no, I don't think Super Smash Bros. should magically become the exception to the rule.

Last edited:

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Nope! I have a New Game+ playthrough that I'm going for 100% in, but I got to Agniratha and then got scared of the prospect of facing the superbosses soon, so I haven't picked up that file in a couple months.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee

No I also feel this way due there is nothing as awesome as reliving some of Xenoblade's best moments that are heavenly changed or gone in the new game +.
However you can challenge the superbosses on your first run due you only need to be lv 99(Tephra cave & Post Mechonis Core sidequests make grinding a breeze imo) & forge the right gems & if memory serves right LV 5 gems are everywhere for forging LV 6 gems once you complete the Mechonis core event

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
No I also feel this way due there is nothing as awesome as reliving some of Xenoblade's best moments that are heavenly changed or gone in the new game +.
However you can challenge the superbosses on your first run due you only need to be lv 99(Tephra cave & Post Mechonis Core sidequests make grinding a breeze imo) & forge the right gems & if memory serves right LV 5 gems are everywhere for forging LV 6 gems once you complete the Mechonis core event
I'll have to try that. :) The only thing that stinks is that you can't use the Manado III though.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I'll have to try that. :) The only thing that stinks is that you can't use the Manado III though.
Also I forgot to mention that you need Lancelot armour for tackling the super bosses, you can farm for it by beating monsters in the Eryth sea area after the Mechonis core event & its the only high level armour that I believe that has open slots, while the others high level armours have gems you can't remove. There is however a gauntlet that comes with a level 6 haste gem, so that one you could also consider ;)

Here is an example of how people beat up the lv 120 boss http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsPbqmVxgDA

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
So about that Nintendo E3 2014 announcement... dat Fils-A-Mech.

Please be a reference to X. The fact that the Nintendo Treehouse will be there probably means that it's already being localized and releasing this year. I hope. I need it in my veins. Nao.

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
All of them, they're actually fairly easy once you have the right gem setup. Night vision gems are really helpful.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
So about that Nintendo E3 2014 announcement... dat Fils-A-Mech.

Please be a reference to X. The fact that the Nintendo Treehouse will be there probably means that it's already being localized and releasing this year. I hope. I need it in my veins. Nao.
You mean recently? Could I have a link to it, please? :)

D

Deleted member

You mean recently? Could I have a link to it, please? :)
Anyways, I wouldn't call this a reference to X or anything of that nature.
Let's just hope that Shulk gets confirmed at E3 so that we can play as him at Best Buy. Also, I am sure the games will get released this year... but don't be surprised if there is a delay in true Sakurai fashion.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Argh, looks like for the second year in a row I will be unable to access a computer during E3 week. This sucks.

Blue Rogue

Smash Ace
NNID
ValiantVyse
3DS FC
4527-9345-8740
Oh wow this is kind of a thing now hype.
I would love to have some kind of hilarious "the Monado can't hurt people" reference moveset wise
human bosses were impossible until i discovered how broken Dunban was
...omg Dunban assist trophy aaaaa

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
I'd honestly rather have Dunban be playable instead of Shulk, just because he's so much more awesome. But Shulk fits more as a rep for the game.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
************ WARNING: This stage idea has Xenoblade spoilers by listing a plethora of locations from the game****************

Here's my idea for a Xenoblade traveling stage:

First location at beginning of battle:

Some sort of platform in front of the Mechonis and Bionis.

After maybe 30 seconds of fighting, the stage moves onto the Bionis or the Mechonis extremely fast and passes numerous landmarks from the game without stopping(Similar to the intro sequence of the game). Throughout the stage, the locations may even shake due to the intensity of the fighting and it can be either day or night, rain or shine akin to Xenoblade's in game system. There could also be events that may or may not happen at certain locations such as a boss fight. As always, Metal Face is my go to option. He can appear at Prison Island, Sword Valley, and Valek Mountain.

The platforms eventually land at one of the following locations randomly:

Makna Forest Waterfalls:

The fighting takes place on floating platforms directly in front of the epic falls, where mist may obscure some part of the battlefield or simply add a nice aesthetic touch before moving onto:

Satorl Marsh:

Fighting takes place in shallow water making for a unique setting. There are also walk off edges. I'm imagining something similar to the picture above. Next:

Eryth Sea:

This section of the stage would be far bigger than the rest in order to allow players to travel to various platforms through teleporters. (Thanks to Spazzy_D for the idea). Prison Island is another viable option for the fighting to take place. I went into more detail in a previous post about Prison Island as a Smash stage.

Bionis Leg:

Fighting in this location can either take place on the ground with walk off edges and creatures in the background, or on top of one of the cliffs.

Valek Mountain:

The platforms land at the top of the Mountain. Naturally, there will be snow and maybe even an occasional wind effect. No walk off edges. Maybe a few platforms in a strange formation.

Sword valley:

Fighting would possibly take place in front of the acid like lake and mechons would occasionally attack players.

Mechonis Field

Various gizmos such as moving platforms may interfere with the fighters.

I know there are far more locations to add, (especially on the Mechonis, I only listed two) but I think everyone gets the point. As rad as a stage idea like this would be, mine is probably far too ambitious. The number of locations would likely have to be cut. Ignoring that aspect, this would be far different than any previous moving stage in Smash Bros.
Also I think it would be cool if there were multiple locations in each area that the fighting could take place, however I'm realizing this stage would encompass far too much for a typical Smash stage. Basically Xenoblade would be inside Smash 4........

Other stage thoughts?

Last edited:

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
I'd like to see Colony 9 and the Fallen Arm in this travel stage too. Also, I'd love this, but uh... is this even feasible? I guess they could just port parts of Xenoblade like they did for Skyloft, but even then, I think I'd prefer seeing some updated textures on a Xenoblade stage that's custom-made for Smash Bros. than a simple port.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I'd like to see Colony 9 and the Fallen Arm in this travel stage too. Also, I'd love this, but uh... is this even feasible? I guess they could just port parts of Xenoblade like they did for Skyloft, but even then, I think I'd prefer seeing some updated textures on a Xenoblade stage that's custom-made for Smash Bros. than a simple port.
The first time I was at Fallen Arm, big plot development right? Great times. I agree, especially with Colony 9. Maybe because it is the first location, I don't know, but something about that place makes it one of my favorite locations.

I don't think it's technically feasible. It's funny how I was writing that post and the idea became more and more elaborate as I continued. Maybe a small portion of it. It's tough even deciding what my most wanted stage location is from Xenoblade. It used to be Prison Island, but now it might be a traveling stage just so more of the locations can get into Smash.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Sword Valley seems like a very likely Smash Stage, with the Ether Rivers and Pools acting like Lava or Acid in Metroid Stages....but we've seen those sort of stages before. I also noticed Smash often includes stages based off early games areas and it is technically the first area in the game (in the prologue) so even if the stage was based upon what you see later on in Sword Valley it would be familiar to people that only played a few hours of the game. It could be fun and unique, but I support something like Eryth Sea because we've really never seen a local like that in Smash before. (By the way @foolssigma the teleporter idea was mine.)

A traveling stage would be nice, but I'm not sure I would want one that goes through more then one zone. As cool as it sounds I don't think you could do justice to the variety and design found in any single zone that way.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Oh the ever-present question of which stage to go with... Too many locations and possible stage-types to pick from haha.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Well.... this is an interesting picture of Super Shulk Bros For Wii U + 3DS.

D

Deleted member

With characters being shot down left and right, I really need to see Shulk on the roster for some assurance.
Same. I am getting awfully worried. I will take a stage or one of the party members be an Assist Trophy. Just... anything that would pseudo-confirm Shulk.
I really, really want Shulk on the roster. He freaking needs to happen.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Not an attack on Dillon supporters, but if somebody as obscure as him gets acknowledged as an AT, i'm pretty confident that Xenoblade will atleast get some form of content now, be it Shulk playable or an AT, a stage or "You will know our names" as a random track on a Zelda/Metroid stage like what Golden Sun got in Brawl.

Offcourse I want the the true Heir of the Monado being playable the most & I would even be happy if Xenoblade gets the Fire Emblem threatment from Melee(Playable Character(s) & 1 song)

D

Deleted member

Guess what ? I had a new dream about Shulk.

It was a surprise Direct like the MK8's one, but much shorter, and in which Sakurai gave confirmation/de-confirmation to the 6 Gematsu's leak remaining characters.

De-confirmed caracters were Chrom (confirmed as an Assist (EDIT : and the Chorus Kids too)), Pac-Man as a character summoned with the Special Flag thing, and the Miis confirmed to be nothing more than background caracters.

Only Palutena had a special trailer in the end, and before that, Sakurai made a Shulk teasing by showing Monado's silhouette on Wii U version's Battlefield, pretty much like a certain purple dragon.

D

Deleted member

Not an attack on Dillon supporters, but if somebody as obscure as him gets acknowledged as an AT, i'm pretty confident that Xenoblade will atleast get some form of content now, be it Shulk playable or an AT, a stage or "You will know our names" as a random track on a Zelda/Metroid stage like what Golden Sun got in Brawl.

Offcourse I want the the true Heir of the Monado being playable the most & I would even be happy if Xenoblade gets the Fire Emblem threatment from Melee(Playable Character(s) & 1 song)
As an eShop character, being an Assist Trophy was really the best Dillon could hope for. Since his games are getting recognition, it does make me more confident that we will see Xenoblade content. The worst I can see the series get in Smash is similar to Golden Sun; Shulk getting in as an Assist Trophy and a song from Xenoblade would be on some random stage.

I would be content as long as Shulk is in Smash along with You Will Know Our Names. I would be disappointed with the lack of content, but it would absolutely be better than nothing.
Only Palutena had a special trailer in the end, and before that, Sakurai made a Shulk teasing by showing Monado's silhouette on Wii U version's Battlefield, pretty much like a certain purple dragon.
That's evil.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I'm not sure how much Dillon says about Shulk, other than them both being pretty recent IPs.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
So I've been playing Xenoblade a lot the past few nights. I'm pretty sure I'm just about at the end. I can't really say anything at all about my in-game circumstances without major spoilers, so that's a pretty good indicator of that, I feel.

Anyway, I'm hoping to finish it tonight so that I can force my friend to play it when he gets back from college tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Note: Actual tremendous (though somewhat vaguely worded) spoilers ahead.
The funny thing is, I had seen a picture of Shulk!Zanza before playing the game, but didn't know what it meant at the time and forgot about it until I saw him again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom