• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
So, I guess I'm not the only one who thinks a Shulk trailer is pretty much a guarantee? I just don't see him not being revealed.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
So, I guess I'm not the only one who thinks a Shulk trailer is pretty much a guarantee? I just don't see him not being revealed.
no we all think that too I still think if Ridley is in he'll be a hidden shulk I think is gonna be the last one announced

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
no we all think that too I still think if Ridley is in he'll be a hidden shulk I think is gonna be the last one announced
I disagree. The best way to generate massive hype for fans/potential buyers would be to introduce a character everyone knows and likes right before the end. While all of us here love Shulk, we are a minority. If a character were to be the last revealed before the game's release, I'd say Mewtwo, Ridley (who, may I add, won't happen) or a Zelda character.

Last edited:

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
Guys just be careful because the more we speculate shulk reveal is next the more sakurai will be like lol no xD

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
I disagree. The best way to generate massive hype for fans/potential buyers would be to introduce a character everyone knows and likes right before the end. While all of us here love Shulk, we are a minority. If a character were to be the last revealed before the game's release, I'd say Mewtwo, Ridley (who, may I add, won't happen) or a Zelda character.
Keep in mind, Shulk is very popular in Japan, and we really do need a character to really hype up the Japanese fanbase for the launch. Shulk's the most requested newcomer in Japan who isn't from an already represented series (around 5th overall if I remember correctly). With Takamaru and the Prince out of the way, Shulk would be the best choice for a reveal prior to the Japanese launch. No one in Japan would really care about Ridley, Zelda has always had stronger support in the West than Japan as well (not to the same extent as Metroid, but a gap does still exist), and Mewtwo would technically be a veteran. Right now Shulk's the best bet for really getting the Japanese hyped for Smash at the last minute.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
Keep in mind, Shulk is very popular in Japan, and we really do need a character to really hype up the Japanese fanbase for the launch. Shulk's the most requested newcomer in Japan who isn't from an already represented series (around 5th overall if I remember correctly). With Takamaru and the Prince out of the way, Shulk would be the best choice for a reveal prior to the Japanese launch. No one in Japan would really care about Ridley, Zelda has always had stronger support in the West than Japan as well (not to the same extent as Metroid, but a gap does still exist), and Mewtwo would technically be a veteran. Right now Shulk's the best bet for really getting the Japanese hyped for Smash at the last minute.
Is there cited evidence for his popularity? I've seen it referenced multiple times but any searches turn up nothing except pretty mediocre sales in Japan, and nothing of a fanbase at all. I'd argue it was Project Rainfall that really created a following for this game in the west, and it stood out from the other Rainfall titles by being of grander scale and higher quality. In Japan, it would have been the same normal fare - just another RPG, pretty good, one of the better ones, but nothing outstanding. It stood out in the west because of the localization appeal.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Is there cited evidence for his popularity? I've seen it referenced multiple times but any searches turn up nothing except pretty mediocre sales in Japan, and nothing of a fanbase at all. I'd argue it was Project Rainfall that really created a following for this game in the west, and it stood out from the other Rainfall titles by being of grander scale and higher quality. In Japan, it would have been the same normal fare - just another RPG, pretty good, one of the better ones, but nothing outstanding. It stood out in the west because of the localization appeal.
Chronobound/Snakey as far as I know is a well respected user arround here & on Gamefaqs that did a research on the popular picks in japan last year.

Previous Smash Games showed Sakurai kinda works like this. Few fanfavourites(Mostly based on Japanese Polls), Sakurai going random after the fanfavourites to create characters for the sake of unique gameplay & if he has more time, pad the roster with clones

Melee the fanfavourites were Bowser, Peach, Marth & Mewtwo & Ganondorf(although he was extremely lucky)

For Brawl the polls they were held on the Japanese Brawl Dojo, but never made public, but my bets are Sonic outranking everyone, Wario & King Dedede due they ranked high in Melee, Diddy Kong & Meta knight. honorable mention goes to Lucario due he was on the rise since his movie

For Smash 4 Snakey observed they hate cuts in general so Mewtwo & Roy dominated the Polls, Mega Man, Palutena & our Monado Boy had the most requests.
We already have Mega Man & Palutena, Mewtwo is still possible due he is something Sakurai would love to keep secret after the game goes gold & Shulk like @ Andyjoe522 Andyjoe522 stated would be something to hype Japan up to the max & would show Sakurai still uses the same routine regarding the roster.

As for Roy; Lucina dethroned him due Awakening is a thing on its own when it comes to popularity & Lucina was super easy to make & steals Roy's niché as a Marth clone

Then there is also the fact Famitsu ranked Xenoblade as the 6th Nintendo game of all time & @ Solfiner Solfiner in general makes good points like that its still suspicious Monolith has zero content as of now, while real flops like Captain Rainbow & W101 have content in the form of Trophies already.

Xenoblade didn't have poor sales, it sold out & people tend to forget the game had zero marketing to begin with, plus Monolith is a company that is allowed to touch Zelda of all things, so they are not an ordinary studio for Nintendo

Shulk also still is dodging the AT curse with Monado Speed & people are ignorant Xenoblade won't get content, but if he would be an AT why didn't Sakurai deconfirm him in the Smash Direct

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/64873505 Chronobound/Snakey topic

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457478 famitsu

http://forum.starmen.net/forum/Stor...ing-a-comprehensive-list-of-unused-characters

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
Chronobound/Snakey as far as I know is a well respected user arround here & on Gamefaqs that did a research on the popular picks in japan last year.

Previous Smash Games showed Sakurai kinda works like this. Few fanfavourites(Mostly based on Japanese Polls), Sakurai going random after the fanfavourites to create characters for the sake of unique gameplay & if he has more time, pad the roster with clones

Melee the fanfavourites were Bowser, Peach, Marth & Mewtwo & Ganondorf(although he was extremely lucky)

For Brawl the polls they were held on the Japanese Brawl Dojo, but never made public, but my bets are Sonic outranking everyone, Wario & King Dedede due they ranked high in Melee, Diddy Kong & Meta knight. honorable mention goes to Lucario due he was on the rise since his movie

For Smash 4 Snakey observed they hate cuts in general so Mewtwo & Roy dominated the Polls, Mega Man, Palutena & our Monado Boy had the most requests.
We already have Mega Man & Palutena, Mewtwo is still possible due he is something Sakurai would love to keep secret after the game goes gold & Shulk like @ Andyjoe522 Andyjoe522 stated would be something to hype Japan up to the max & would show Sakurai still uses the same routine regarding the roster.

As for Roy; Lucina dethroned him due Awakening is a thing on its own when it comes to popularity & Lucina was super easy to make & steals Roy's niché as a Marth clone

Then there is also the fact Famitsu ranked Xenoblade as the 6th Nintendo game of all time & @ Solfiner Solfiner in general makes good points like that its still suspicious Monolith has zero content as of now, while real flops like Captain Rainbow & W101 have content in the form of Trophies already.

Xenoblade didn't have poor sales, it sold out & people tend to forget the game had zero marketing to begin with, plus Monolith is a company that is allowed to touch Zelda of all things, so they are not an ordinary studio for Nintendo

Shulk also still is dodging the AT curse with Monado Speed & people are ignorant Xenoblade won't get content, but if he would be an AT why didn't Sakurai deconfirm him in the Smash Direct

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/64873505 Chronobound/Snakey topic

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457478 famitsu

http://forum.starmen.net/forum/Stor...ing-a-comprehensive-list-of-unused-characters
Thanks, this is quite the eye opener. I have read in multiple places however that Xenoblade only shifted around 150k units in Japan. While this is certainly a lot, the original Scribblenauts game sold well over a million and had almost no marketing at all. The limited release outside of the Japan actually sold more units than in its home country.

Still, Famitsu's readers placing Xenoblade at 6th is absolutely nuts.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Thanks, this is quite the eye opener. I have read in multiple places however that Xenoblade only shifted around 150k units in Japan. While this is certainly a lot, the original Scribblenauts game sold well over a million and had almost no marketing at all. The limited release outside of the Japan actually sold more units than in its home country.

Problem with Shulk haters(Not saying you are one) is they fail their research most of the time or that they didn't play the game

Early game Xenoblade Spoilers
to quote Xord "When I became like this what you see now(a Shulk supporter after I played Xenoblade), thats when my eyes were opened

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
I don't think sales are a good indicator of a character's fanbase. This is the Smash community after all, not gaming as a whole. We consider Smashboards to be the biggest Smash community, and going by the total amount of members active in the forum, Ridley, King K. Rool, Shulk, and Isaac are, in fact, currently the most popular requested newcomers. If we do go by that metric and use the evidence presented by Chronobound, then I'm sure measuring the popularity of a certain Japanese fanbase is the same. In other words, we're not literally saying a character is popular in Japan; it's the only popular character left we have on the list that's relative to how big the Smash community is.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
Hey guys. I'm a new member to this forum.
GET THIS MAN SOME SHADES

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580

Also, someone on NeoGAF said that the latest Media Create sales tracker has Xenoblade at roughly more than 190,000, so it's almost on its way at 200,000. I'm trying to find the current sales myself, but I can't read Japanese, so it's not worth it. XD

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I can only imagine how much X is gonna sell considering the only reason the sales are not high on xenoblade was because of low shipping

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
Also, someone on NeoGAF said that the latest Media Create sales tracker has Xenoblade at roughly more than 190,000, so it's almost on its way at 200,000. I'm trying to find the current sales myself, but I can't read Japanese, so it's not worth it. XD
I did just bump into that stat myself, raising the total to just around a million units. Still not something I believe is significant especially against such competition as (what was then) Chrom, Mega Man and Mewtwo, but as has been affirmed Xenoblade does indeed have a decent following overseas.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

If you look at the "Japan reacts to ______ Smash Newcomer," articles there are always a few "where are the Xenoblade characters?" comments. I read somewhere that Xenoblade had a very active life in second hand sale in Japan, but I'm not sure if I can find that source.

At the moment, I'm pretty sure the only characters that are more highly wanted by the Japanese fan base are Mewtwo and MAYBE another Donkey Kong rep.

AlgusUnderdunk

Smash Ace
Well I heartily support Shulk too! Been playing through Xenoblade, really fantastic (and ASTOUNDINGLY LONG) game. It's one of those rare games where I find myself just staring at the landscapes and gaping.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
By the way, if Shulk is revealed in his own trailer, I REALLY want the Ice Climbers to be revealed with him.

The trailer should start with the Ice Climbers climbing up the side of a treacherous looking mountain face, and it should zoom out and reveal that they are scaling the Bionis.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I dunno about you guys, but I just have a feeling that some video may be announced tomorrow to be shown next week, either a streamed trailer or (hopefully) another Smash Direct. I just have that intuition. If the latter is so then hello to my 3 wanted newcomers in my sig (I hope!)

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Not sure if this has been discussed, but this may help Shulk's odds if it's a remaster of Xenoblade.

Give me a minute, you'll get some shades. Also, Welcome.
Might be a great way to introduce a Shulk trailer. If there is a general Nintendo Direct next week and they announce the remaster, it would be pretty simple to sneak the Shulk Smash trailer in with the game footage for maximum hype.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I dunno about you guys, but I just have a feeling that some video may be announced tomorrow to be shown next week, either a streamed trailer or (hopefully) another Smash Direct. I just have that intuition. If the latter is so then hello to my 3 wanted newcomers in my sig (I hope!)
<also thinks that
NOPE WE WON'T GET A NEW CHARACTER VIDEO OR DIRECT FRIDAY SAKURAI WOULD NEVER DO THAT
<hopes it still happens

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I'm expecting filler.

We did just get a reveal, after all. Don't hold your breath for Shulk.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
<also thinks that
NOPE WE WON'T GET A NEW CHARACTER VIDEO OR DIRECT FRIDAY SAKURAI WOULD NEVER DO THAT
<hopes it still happens
Think she meant an announcement for a video, like for the Robin video, and not the video itself.

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
Might be a great way to introduce a Shulk trailer. If there is a general Nintendo Direct next week and they announce the remaster, it would be pretty simple to sneak the Shulk Smash trailer in with the game footage for maximum hype.
My body is maximumly ready.

Not actually a spoiler.
Free Shades!!!???
BEST FORUM/SUPPORT PAGE EVER

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
A Xenoblade remaster would be the best thing, though they would probably add more features lacking from the original. The Bionis Shoulder map becomes an extra dungeon, or part of the story, perhaps?

Actually, that's a good topic. What do you want in a remastered Xenoblade?

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
A Xenoblade remaster would be the best thing, though they would probably add more features lacking from the original. The Bionis Shoulder map becomes an extra dungeon, or part of the story, perhaps?

Reyn's Glorious abs in true HD

D

Deleted member

I would like Quick Step to not be a Gem. I want to get around quicker without having to use some sort of Gem. I wouldn't mind some rebalancing as well, especially to make Sharla more effective / enjoyable to use in battle.

The Curious Volnutt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theOmni1337

Improved character models. That is all the game really needs, to me at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom