• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Why does it have to be fem-Robin?

Everyone knows Shulk and Reyn are more than just friends...
I have to tell you, pictures of Shulk x Reyn are second in mind-numbingly horribleness only to Dunban x Mumkhar. Running a Xenoblade group on Deviant Art is not easy.
Indeed, though I do hope that if they do, that opposite-sex romance won't be the only option. It'd be a bit boring and overly heteronormative :p
My female Dunban character will be paired with the booby-est character I find, and all of you are going to sit there, humor me posting pictures of it, and enjoy it.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
This thread never ceases to surprise me...

Here's a hodgepodge of replies to the various topics I'm trying to catch up with:

I'm hoping for a vision final smash. @False Sense said it best.

I can only see X being slightly shorter than Xenoblade if they go the route of a storyline with branching paths and multiple endings. Regardless, X is pretty much guaranteed to be longer than the first game.

I like the romance options in other games such as Persona and Fire Emblem so I'd definitely be a fan of them in X.

Bromance options? Tough one. I'm not seeing much in the way of Alvis here.

I mean it is possible right ?

AncientBaby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AncientBaby
3DS FC
4854-6493-8093
Well, there was a Shulk x Monado fanfic earlier, so this thread will definitely support level S that.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
If I may shamelessly (and by shamelessly I mean full of shame) say, one of the reasons I want Shulk in Smash is so that he'll boost Xenoblade's popularity. Seems pretty standard, right? But a very large reason of why I want Xenoblade's popularity boosted is so that people will have a wider range of ships, mainly Alvis x Shulk. I mean, Melia x Shulk is my OTP, but it's an entertaining notion.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
If I may shamelessly (and by shamelessly I mean full of shame) say, one of the reasons I want Shulk in Smash is so that he'll boost Xenoblade's popularity. Seems pretty standard, right? But a very large reason of why I want Xenoblade's popularity boosted is so that people will have a wider range of ships, mainly Alvis x Shulk. I mean, Melia x Shulk is my OTP, but it's an entertaining notion.
As I said before, I'm all for asexual Alvis (biromantic) and bi Shulk :p

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah. Alvis is too calm most of the time, he needs to have his wild and crazy flaming side, just for juxtaposition.

Plus, it'd have been hilarious (and tone-breaking) if it came up during any of the moments he was in.

"Ohhh my, that's one huge Telethia, if you know what I mean. Eh, Shulk?"

"What?"

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Indeed, though I do hope that if they do, that opposite-sex romance won't be the only option. It'd be a bit boring and overly heteronormative :p
Unless future babies are a significant feature of the game like in Awakening, I see no reason for there not to be same-sex options.

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
I can see it, considering how adorably oblivious Shulk is at times.

Edit: @ Andyjoe522 Andyjoe522 *whispers* adoptioooooon. Though I doubt they'd copy FE to that extent xD

Last edited:

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
So. I've had a Final Smash for Shulk planned out for a bit now. Massive endgame spoilers.
Shulk first gets into a ready position with Monado held in front of him. In the background, the sun rises. He boasts, "I am Shulk! Shulk of Colony Nine! The Sword that Slays Gods!" He hoists the Monado into the air. The Monado, in a cyclone of ether, transforms into the Monado III. Shulk then stomps forward, making a crater. Anyone caught in the stomp's blast wave is treated as if they were hit by a Pitfall. Shulk then uses the momentum to jump high into the air, above the clouds. At the end, he activates Buster and swings the Monado over his head as he falls towards the target. As he falls, he yells a ferocious "CHESUTOOOOOOOO!" Upon reaching the target, he slams the Monado III's blade through the target into the ground, creating a massive crater and destroying much. The explosion is massive, leveling mountains and gods. Everyone caught is OHKO'd.
Obligitory music as the FS activates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l9hgtJvWmo

Last edited:

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
Here's that little project I mentioned, still a W.I.P. since I still need to do some more sanding and of course painting it.
Also I made sure to use the worst quality camera I could find :p

Last edited:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Here's that little project I mentioned, still a W.I.P. since I still need to do some more sanding and of course painting it.
Also I made sure to use the worst quality camera I could find :p

So you plan to harness the power of the Woodnado?
Joking aside, looks awesome for how far in it is. Can't wait to see it finished!

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
Shulk is the last newcomer I'm really hoping makes it into SSB4. There are so many crazy movesets and mechanics he could bring to SSB.

I'll put some ideas for mechanics below:
The biggest problem I can see with Shulk is the insane length of the Monado when the laser part is extended. A character with that kind of range dealing typical sword damage would be really powerful. So rather than just shorten the Monado, my idea is that Shulk could initially use the Monado in its small unactivated state. His attacks would be mediocre in power and his range would be subpar for a sword wielder. A sort of Talent meter would make up for this, which would build as Shulk does damage. When he inflicts enough damage, the Monado would activate and then he would have phenomenal range for all slashing attacks and could possibly get altered Monado Arts specials. The opponent would have to damage him in return to empty the meter to deactivate the Monado. So both players would have to deal damage while they have the disadvantage in range, encouraging constant aggressive, clever play from both players. I think it would be a cool way to incorporate mechanics from Xenoblade while simultaneously adding a fun gimmick to SSB.

As for Shulk's signature ability, his futuresight, I think the best place to incorporate this is his final smash. FS's provide the possibility of a small amount of scripting, which would allow a quick vision scene like in Xenoblade. My idea for his FS is that the screen would flash to a quick scene of the opponent with the highest score KO'ing Shulk. The screen would return to the fight and a burst event (the things in Xenoblade where you time a press of the B button according to a shrinking circle prompt) would occur for Shulk. Shulk would quickly fast-travel to the opponent from his vision and would attack once, with the power of the attack varying from the equivalent of a standard tilt attack to a virtually guaranteed KO according to the player's performance in the burst event. Essentially Shulk would be preventing his future defeat by preemptively attacking, just like in Xenoblade.

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Shulk is the last newcomer I'm really hoping makes it into SSB4. There are so many crazy movesets and mechanics he could bring to SSB.

I'll put some ideas for mechanics below:
The biggest problem I can see with Shulk is the insane length of the Monado when the laser part is extended. A character with that kind of range dealing typical sword damage would be really powerful. So rather than just shorten the Monado, my idea is that Shulk could initially use the Monado in its small unactivated state. His attacks would be mediocre in power and his range would be subpar for a sword wielder. A sort of Talent meter would make up for this, which would build as Shulk does damage. When he inflicts enough damage, the Monado would activate and then he would have phenomenal range for all slashing attacks and could possibly get altered Monado Arts specials. The opponent would have to damage him in return to empty the meter to deactivate the Monado. So both players would have to deal damage while they have the disadvantage in range, encouraging constant aggressive, clever play from both players. I think it would be a cool way to incorporate mechanics from Xenoblade while simultaneously adding a fun gimmick to SSB.

As for Shulk's signature ability, his futuresight, I think the best place to incorporate this is his final smash. FS's provide the possibility of a small amount of scripting, which would allow a quick vision scene like in Xenoblade. My idea for his FS is that the screen would flash to a quick scene of the opponent with the highest score KO'ing Shulk. The screen would return to the fight and a burst event (the things in Xenoblade where you time a press of the B button according to a shrinking circle prompt) would occur for Shulk. Shulk would quickly fast-travel to the opponent from his vision and would attack once, with the power of the attack varying from the equivalent of a standard tilt attack to a virtually guaranteed KO according to the player's performance in the burst event. Essentially Shulk would be preventing his future defeat by preemptively attacking, just like in Xenoblade.
@BluePikmin11 fresh meat, er, new supporter.

Last edited:

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
So I tried to make my own moveset for Shulk, and it really dawned on me what a missed opportunity it would be if Shulk wasn't in the game. Shulk, no, Xenoblade in general has such potential for Smash. From cool mechanics, to stages, to music, to even characters, it's hard to make up my mind. Sakurai said in his column for Famtisu when he saw Robin he knew he had to be playable, because of all the potential. I can't imagine Sakurai seeing Xenoblade and thinking "nah, make him a AT". This is a treasure trove of potential just waiting for him.

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
I'm dying of thirst in this info drought. I hope to god something actually happens on Tuesday

Last edited:

Enyalb

Hardcore Wonder-Casual Dragoon
NNID
BLAYNEproject
3DS FC
5300-9911-6250
I'm dying of thirst in this info drought. I hope to god something actually happens on Tuesday
Sorry for being late, but is there a thing actually happening on Tuesday? Besides the exaggerated #TrueMondadoTuesday, did Sakurai make an announcement on that day or something?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Sorry for being late, but is there a thing actually happening on Tuesday? Besides the exaggerated #TrueMondadoTuesday, did Sakurai make an announcement on that day or something?
There's supposedly a CoroCoro livestream that day about Smash stuff, but this has yet to be actually verified.

Now if Sakurai announced a reveal sometime this week...

Hopefully tonight's PotD will give us something.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Bloody Monday in one hour people! Place your bets on who's getting disconfirmed! :troll:

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
Just remember guys, no matter what, if the incredibly low chance of Shulk being an assist happens...
...Crap, never thought this plan through. Probably don't need to.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I'm no types of prepared for verification of the supposed Smash stream. If we were to actually get news of that in the next few hours, I'll get so excited and won't be able to contain myself.

For now, just...keeping it cool :shades:

Just remember guys, no matter what, if the incredibly low chance of Shulk being an assist happens...
REMEMBER FOLKS. DISCUSSION OF SHULK AS AN AT IS TOXIC.

Of course, there's a chance of it happening...

BUT IT'S STILL TOXIC.

I want to, but I feel like a lot of people would get really mad at me :p
We wouldn't be among the ones getting mad at you...would we? :glare:

Last edited:

Enyalb

Hardcore Wonder-Casual Dragoon
NNID
BLAYNEproject
3DS FC
5300-9911-6250
Cry, play this from End of Evangelion:
Then use this Shulk mii.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
Cry, play this from End of Evangelion:
Then use this Shulk mii.
shhhhhhh, sh sh sh shhh it won't need to come to that.
'Cause Shulk's playable. I wouldn't even be surprised if he does get announced as an assist, then a week later he changes his destiny in his reveal trailer. Sakurai's a Grade S troll, but that would seal the deal forever. No one would top that.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
shhhhhhh, sh sh sh shhh it won't need to come to that.
'Cause Shulk's playable. I wouldn't even be surprised if he does get announced as an assist, then a week later he changes his destiny in his reveal trailer. Sakurai's a Grade S troll, but that would seal the deal forever. No one would top that.
If Sakurai does that, I will hunt him down for giving me a heart attack... Why does this feel like something he would be more than willing to do?

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
There's supposedly a CoroCoro livestream that day about Smash stuff, but this has yet to be actually verified.

Now if Sakurai announced a reveal sometime this week...

Hopefully tonight's PotD will give us something.
Wait there's a livestream?

Bloody Monday in one hour people! Place your bets on who's getting disconfirmed! :troll:
I hope Mario is disconfirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom