• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
I don't believe in the idea of getting happy when characters aren't playable (with the exception of, like, Goku/Shrek/Master Chief), because I find it repulsive to get happy about something that makes other people sad. Makes me think about how I'd feel if Shulk was deconfirmed and people got happy about it. Like, deconfirmations for other characters make me sad because I know how important those characters were to people. That's part of the reason I can never list characters I oppose the inclusion of (non-Nintendo 3rd parties and "4th parties" aside). I like seeing people be happy, unless the thing making them happy is something that upsets other people, then it squicks me out.

Tl;dr: I don't get how a person could be happy about other people being sad. It's pretty gross, sorry not sorry.

Sorry for the rant. I believe I've made my thoughts on this matter clear in the past. I can't help but voice my opinion, y'know?
I was kinda happy we didn't get Chrom because we got Robin instead. I like both and I am sorry for the Chrom supporters, but personally for me, Robin > Chrom. It isn't that I'm happy that Chrom supporters feel sad or something; that would be ridiculous.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
To be fair, Robin is customizable, so some people might have heavily customized their avatar to the point where it looks a lot different to the default one. All I did was change the hair color to blue, so I instantly recognized him when he was revealed. :laugh:
I know, I customized the hell out of my Robins too, but still. The robe shoulda given it away. If you don't recognize the main character, you didn't play the game. :awesome:
And... yeah, they don't look much like each other. First, Robin's skin is really pale. I actually thought that he had a white glove on his hand because of the paleness, but he doesn't. Then, the hair color, length, and style are both completely different. Also, Robin's eyes are much thinner (no, it's not that he's squinting in this pic). Finally, there would be the clothes/weapons.
Which I've always thought was really odd, considering...
His dad is Validar, and that guy is pretty dark skinned.

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Mainly, those who wish this believe in the "Limited Roster" stance. They think having another character that is not their own diminishes the chances of their Candidate.

I don't agree with it, but people will always have this mindset.
Unfortunately so. I saw someone in the "Most/Least wanted" thread put Shulk in their least wanted JUST because of a few people who claimed he would be slot competition for Isaac. Not even sure who says that anymore, honestly. Granted, that thread is a cesspool thanks to the OP's brilliant idea to include least wanted (the flamebait is strong with that one...and the Shulk-bashing is pretty gross at times). I finally got around to unwatching it.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
Unfortunately so. I saw someone in the "Most/Least wanted" thread put Shulk in their least wanted JUST because of a few people who claimed he would be slot competition for Isaac. Not even sure who says that anymore, honestly. Granted, that thread is a cesspool thanks to the OP's brilliant idea to include least wanted (the flamebait is strong with that one...and the Shulk-bashing is pretty gross at times). I finally got around to unwatching it.
Isaac + Shulk on the same roster would be the best thing ever for me. They aren't alike at all aside from the fact that they are both from JRPGs, but since JRPGs are kinda underrepped, I see no problem with having both at all.

EDIT: We got exactly 2 characters from pure JRPGs. FE is more of a SRPG, and Pokémon is a part of the Mon genre instead of being a classic JRPG.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
They should be informed that when Isaac and Shulk submit their applications to SSB4, Sakurai is not basing their resume on anything else, but what they bring to Smash Brothers.

Shulk and Isaac are different potential employees that have nothing in common and bring new content along with them to SSB4.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Ha, I'd love to see these reaction videos just for a good laugh. I just really don't see how you can get Shulk and Robin mixed up from appearance...

Are some of these people from outside sites? There are plenty of people I've never even heard of ._.

It's understandable if they've only posted in here once or just PM'd you to get on though.

Your notifications are probably always in shambles.
Nope, all of the supporters are purely from Smashboards..
I don't think I've ever been PMed to be added, it seems much easier just to post here in the support thread.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
LET'S GO SHULK REVEAL!

GET HYPE SON
I still think that it should have been clear it wasn't Monado Purge, even if you weren't familiar with Fire Emblem. The fact that the entire trailer was styled after Awakening's cutscenes, and the fact that Lucina was revealed (while Chrom was taking a nap) should have made it obvious that any additional newcomers in that trailer would be from Fire Emblem.

But I suppose all that "Monado Monday" hype would have gone to your heads.
In the heat of the moment, what are you supposed to believe? Plus, I was familiar with any wind spells looking like tiny tornadoes, not like Monado Purge (and be honest here, it really does look an awful lot like it). I wasn't expecting Shulk at all in the trailer, but for the two seconds before Robin popped up after using Elwind I was really confused.
To be fair, Robin is customizable, so some people might have heavily customized their avatar to the point where it looks a lot different to the default one. All I did was change the hair color to blue, so I instantly recognized him when he was revealed. :laugh:
My avatar looked like this (wow, this is a handy picture to have):

And I had no problem recognizing Robin. Okay, I might have played the demo (which didn't let you customize the avatar's appearance at all) 1500 times, but you have to go past the default MU look to get to the customisation part. :b

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
You'd think even if they don't recognize the face they would recognize the tactician's rope, because the My Unit and Morgan are the only two that wear it.

At least people who play Xenoblade will know who Shulk is even if they gave him different armor.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
GET HYPE SON

In the heat of the moment, what are you supposed to believe? Plus, I was familiar with any wind spells looking like tiny tornadoes, not like Monado Purge (and be honest here, it really does look an awful lot like it). I wasn't expecting Shulk at all in the trailer, but for the two seconds before Robin popped up after using Elwind I was really confused.

My avatar looked like this (wow, this is a handy picture to have):

And I had no problem recognizing Robin. Okay, I might have played the demo (which didn't let you customize the avatar's appearance at all) 1500 times, but you have to go past the default MU look to get to the customisation part. :b
Again, I somehow got seventy percent through Xenoblade while forgetting that Monado Purge actually existed. So, I guess I was lucky I didn't mistake it... Tbh, the similarities can be a little startling, so people thinking "Shulk!" is an understandable mistake.

And that Robin hood (lol) has a very recognizable pattern on it, at least for me, so that's how I recognized him.

Last edited:

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Again, I somehow got seventy percent through Xenoblade while forgetting that Monado Purge actually existed. So, I guess I was lucky I didn't mistake it... Tbh, the similarities can be a little startling, so people thinking "Shulk!" is an understandable mistake.

And that Robin hood (lol) has a very recognizable pattern on it, at least for me, so that's how I recognized him.
I remembered that Monado Purge existed, I just didn't know it was so handy. I also thought that Speed and Shield were basically the same thing. I ended up going through the game using basically only Buster, Enchant, and Shield for Monado arts. No wonder my first playthrough was so hard.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
I remembered that Monado Purge existed, I just didn't know it was so handy. I also thought that Speed and Shield were basically the same thing. I ended up going through the game using basically only Buster, Enchant, and Shield for Monado arts. No wonder my first playthrough was so hard.
I didn't realize what Shield was good against until the second to last area, so I had just been spamming it up til then and being confused when it didn't work. Then the game became a lot easier.

At least the differences will be more noticeable in Smash. :)

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
I didn't realize what Shield was good against until the second to last area, so I had just been spamming it up til then and being confused when it didn't work. Then the game became a lot easier.

At least the differences will be more noticeable in Smash. :)
I am so lucky that I had a friend to tell me to level Shield up all the way before the final boss, otherwise it would have been so much more difficult than it already was. I don't think I realized the differences between the Monado arts until I watched a blind LP of the game and some helpful commenters were telling the guy playing what does what and when to use things.

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
I just had a discussion with a friend who doesn't know much about Shulk. Not only did he go from neutral to "wow he would be awesome", I've gone from thinking his Final Smash should be a Chain Attack while visions are only incorporated as effect for his dodge to thinking a well-incorporated vision would be the best Final Smash option. It would be really cool for both Xenoblade fans and people trying Shulk for the first time, and if they do it right, would be amazing (I still like the idea of him seeing the Ancient Daedala attacking and using a Monado Shield to protect himself while everyone else gets clobbered).

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
FS is Shulk sees a vision of all the fighters running off the stage to their deaths and then as long as he doesn't attack them they actually do.

OP but funny as hell.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
By the way, we are 11 more away till we finally beat K. Rool's amount of supporters.
JESUS! This is crazy.

I knew what every Monado art did when I played the game, because I actually paid attention. :p

Hokori

Great King of Evil
FS is Shulk sees a vision of all the fighters running off the stage to their deaths and then as long as he doesn't attack them they actually do.

OP but funny as hell.
So basically, fighters would rather SD and take their own stocks rather than have Shulk take them with the power of the Monado? :laugh:

By the way, we are 11 more away till we finally beat K. Rool's amount of supporters.
Although numbers don't matter (in this case), never would've thought that we'd actually come this close :surprised:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
So basically, fighters would rather SD and take their own stocks rather than have Shulk take them with the power of the Monado? :laugh:

Although numbers don't matter (in this case), never would've thought that we'd actually come this close :surprised:
But Shulk is too niche. He is also not popular AT ALL in the west. :troll:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
so I've been hearing people say a new character could be announced this week what you all think monado monday 2.0?

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
so I've been hearing people say a new character could be announced this week what you all think monado monday 2.0?
Eh, probably not. That would be neat though....How would everyone react if instead of a pic of the day, Sakurai revealed Shulk's reveal trailer?

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
Well with Hyrule Warriors coming out this week, and a supposed TV stream on Tuesday, it's highly likely. I'm more confident it'll be Ness's return as Earthbound's Japanese anniversary is this month, but the Gematsu leaker is insisting Shulk's reveal is coming soon. So yeah, hype abounds.

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
I would be down to clown with that.

I've also been hearing there's a lot of mixed reports with the CoroCoro magazine possibly having some sort of reveal? Also CoroCoro TV is gonna have some smash stuff come the 12th

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
i have never played any exoblade but want shulk in so i wanna know how would shulk play and who is a charcter simliar playstyle to how shulk will play
their are a few ways he could play

1. the talent gauge in the game these are like your spells but instead of mana you have a timer so it could work like robins tomes but instead of limited use it would be a cooldown
2. Monado arts these are the special attacks in the game of xenoblade and they could work for his specials as well (for example monado shield blocks attacks in xenoblade and it could work like fox's block but only adsorb hits
3. Moral Gauge in Xenoblade their is a system called the Moral Gauge the more hits and combos you do the stronger you become and the portrait of the character changes to show this however the more he is hit the lower it goes making you weaker they could do this in smash as well where the more combos and hits you land the stronger you get and the less damage you take but the more you get hit the less damage you do and you take more damage.

Last edited:

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
their are a few ways he could play

1. the talent gauge in the game these are like your spells but instead of mana you have a timer so it could work like robins tomes but instead of limited use it would be a cooldown
2. Monado arts these are the special attacks in the game of xenoblade and they could work for his specials as well (for example monado shield blocks attacks in xenoblade and it could work like fox's block but only adsorb hits
3. Moral Gauge in Xenoblade their is a system called the Moral Gauge the more hits and combos you do the stronger you become and the portrait of the character changes to show this however the more he is hit the lower it goes making you weaker they could do this in smash as well where the more combos and hits you land the stronger you get and the less damage you take but the more you get hit the less damage you do and you take more damage.
okay thanks

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
i have never played any exoblade but want shulk in so i wanna know how would shulk play and who is a charcter simliar playstyle to how shulk will play
Someone else can field this better (I'm on my phone) but Shulk has a lot of mechanics that are unique to Xenoblade like Break > Topple > Daze (basically a debug system where you knock someone off balance, then trip them,and then daze them. (Basically a good duration stun)

In addition, he's got abilities that work better from the side, do more damage from behind, etc.

THEN there's his sword, the Monado. Which is like, a uniquely-designed laser sword that can also cast offensive and defensive spells for buffs/debuffs/etc

And to top all that off, the Monado grants him the ability to see the future, and anticipate enemy attacks.

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Wow. That blatantly fake "broadcast reveal" from the other day. Went back to see what it was. It's a disgustingly bad fake Chorus Men/Paper Mario/SHADOW reveal. I've got to link to it in the social covo.

Anyway, yeah, visions. How could we implement them as a Final Smash? Suggestions?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think either:

Shulk has a vision of something showing up, and using Monado Shield like you said, while it kills everyone else.

Or

Everything turns blue, and Shulk uses Shadow Eye to escape any incoming damage. For the next few seconds, enemy attacks\actions are recorded and then repeated.

Because of Shadow Eye, Shulk also gets a big damage boost while this is happening.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Anyway, yeah, visions. How could we implement them as a Final Smash? Suggestions?
One idea I had would be that using the Final Smash activates a "vision," where all the opponents continue to move normally while Shulk stands still until the "vision" ends. Once it does, all the opponents are locked into whatever they were doing during the "vision." Basically, the vision records their movements and locks them into it for a certain period of time, allowing Shulk to use the knowledge of what's going to happen to his advantage. However, once Shulk does something to the opponents while they're locked in their predestined actions, that will change the future and allow them to move normally again. Maybe Shulk could also get a power boost to make the Final Smash more effective.

I'm not sure how practical the idea is, but it's one possible use of the visions.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Wow. That blatantly fake "broadcast reveal" from the other day. Went back to see what it was. It's a disgustingly bad fake Chorus Men/Paper Mario/SHADOW reveal. I've got to link to it in the social covo.

It could make Shulk invincible during his Final Smash, not being damageable since he sees up coming attacks while the Monado is fully powered.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom