• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Guys. Maybe you should stop putting major plot points in spoilers all the time. No, seriously. When you open the page, you can see what's inside them.
I didn't need to know that they would turn Fiora into a Mechon! That's TERRIBLE!
In our defense, that's more an issue with Smash Boards than anything.
Also, rest assured that that's only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the plot twists present in this game, and is actually rather easy to guess depending on how much you enjoy talking to NPCs.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Also, rest assured that that's only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the plot twists present in this game, and is actually rather easy to guess depending on how much you enjoy talking to NPCs.
Yeah, that is a major Smashboards problem. We can try to cut back on spoilers as much as possible from now on.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
Fiora being a Mechon is basically the "Aerith dies" spoiler from Xenoblade.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Guys. Maybe you should stop putting major plot points in spoilers all the time. No, seriously. When you open the page, you can see what's inside them.
I didn't need to know that they would turn Fiora into a Mechon! That's TERRIBLE!
We'll try to cool it, but it was relevant to the current other Xeno rep discussions. Also, like others have said, there are many other and bigger plot twists, so the game isn't ruined for you!

Are you currently playing the game, by the way?

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Fiora being a Mechon is basically the "Aerith dies" spoiler from Xenoblade.
I'm not even sure if that can even be called a spoiler anymore. It's pretty much the worse kept "secret" in all of video games.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I'm not even sure if that can even be called a spoiler anymore. It's pretty much the worse kept "secret" in all of video games.
Zelda is Sheik. You can thank Sakurai for that one.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
We'll try to cool it, but it was relevant to the current other Xeno rep discussions. Also, like others have said, there are many other and bigger plot twists, so the game isn't ruined for you!

Are you currently playing the game, by the way?
Well, no.
...Maybe I should stay out of this thread, at least until the game comes out... Eventually, everything will be "Late-Arrival" spoiled, anyhow...

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
  • Enchant - I don't know, maybe a Neutral B stat buff if anything.
  • Buster - Seems like a decent Side B or Neutral B. Just a simple attack, something like Marth's Neutral B from Melee but with more start up and range. Could actually see it as a side smash as well.
  • Shield - Probably best used as Shulk's shield, could possibly also be his Down B. Most likely used to absorb one attack or special.
  • Speed - Possible Up or Side B as a modified Fox illusion. Could also work as a sort of Down B counter.
  • Purge - Up, Side, or Neutral B. If it is an Up special it would probably be best if aimed. Side special could also be used as a horizontal recovery. Move could either interrupt and lock specials or do tons of shield damage.
  • Eater - Side or Neutral B, it would add a poison style damage over time debuff to targets.
  • Armour - Down B, damage reduction ability.
  • Cyclone - Interesting ability. Could very well be a down, neutral, or up special. The down special would probably focus more on the defensive properties of the move, as it could deflect incoming items and projectiles. The Up special would use the ether explosion to launch Shulk into the air. The Neutral special would likely be a charge move that would damage and perhaps even trip opponents.
Cyclone and Buster might even be made into a Final Smash, but I personally feel both are too weak to get the job done.
I'm proud of us as a thread. We really cleaned up our content in the past week as well.

I am not proud of the fact that I went out of my way to assign each of Shulk's Monado Arts to moves yesterday and got no feed back. Now is your chance to make it up to me.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Well, no.
...Maybe I should stay out of this thread, at least until the game comes out... Eventually, everything will be "Late-Arrival" spoiled, anyhow...
Don't worry about it too much. Sakurai will be spoiling the game left and right once Shulk is revealed :troll:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Well, no.
Have you watched any of the Let's Plays or game footage? Just curious.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I'm proud of us as a thread. We really cleaned up our content in the past week as well.

I am not proud of the fact that I went out of my way to assign each of Shulk's Monado Arts to moves yesterday and got no feed back. Now is your chance to make it up to me.
The social group really, really helped. There is only so much you can talk about before going off-topic, so that group is the perfect place to let off some steam so to say.

SnapDrake_Games

Smash Apprentice

Jeez, pushy.

As for all the moves, they seem fine to me. Completely fine. Buster as a side smash seems a little weird to me, but otherwise it's fine.

Something tells me that when Shulk is revealed, everyone will be analyzing his moveset like megaman to find which arts he's using. Ooh! There's light heal! Shaker edge! Air slash!

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Jeez, pushy.

As for all the moves, they seem fine to me. Completely fine. Buster as a side smash seems a little weird to me, but otherwise it's fine.

Something tells me that when Shulk is revealed, everyone will be analyzing his moveset like megaman to find which arts he's using. Ooh! There's light heal! Shaker edge! Air slash!
I know I will :p

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Can't wait for the sub-forums. Analyzing every single detail over and over again. It's gonna be great.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims

This is pretty much just a repeat of my move set but I'd go with:

I think Buster should be the neutral B. Can be charged to increase range/strength. Also Monado Buster Kirby would be amazing with a mini Monado and Shulk hair.

Forward B - Monado Cyclone (can be charged. Charge determines how far the attack will land from Shulk. Only location is altered, not size. Looks similar to the Xenoblade version. If opponent is inflicted with break then this move will cause them to trip or topple.

Down B - Monado Eater (Pulls characters toward Shulk. Only works in forward direction. Also inflicts bleed which works similar to the lip flowers.)

Up B - Monado Purge
(Jumps and Swings word which emits a green wave. Chance of inflicting aura seal which can negate specials? ...Sounds cool but too broken. Maybe instead it can inflict break even though that isn't true to the game.)

My personal pick for the final smash is still the vision.

Final Smash - Vision - Shulk says I see it - then the screen fades in that white color and comes back with the blue hint from Xenoblade during the vision sequences. The other characters appear on screen and can move freely for a few seconds. Afterwards, the vision ends and Shulk says this is the true power of the Monado. Shulk has Monado Speed and Armor which make him quicker and invincible. Also, Enchant which somehow makes him more powerful against everyone. The characters reenact their movements while Shulk is free to attack. In addition, the vision meter can appear on the top of the screen and then shatter after Shulk KOs someone for a nice touch.

I doubt this is how he'll end up though. Cyclone and Eater will probably be used differently

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Jeez, pushy.

I am being pushy, but A.) That breakdown took 5 minutes away from my life that I'm not getting back and B.) I'm really just trying to promote move set discussion to keep things going in here.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I am being pushy, but A.) That breakdown took 5 minutes away from my life that I'm not getting back and B.) I'm really just trying to promote move set discussion to keep things going in here.
If only you had a vision to warn you D:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Sakurai wont just port Xenoblade models to make trophies of them right? They will have to be made from scratch, or am I wrong?

Last edited:

SnapDrake_Games

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai wont just port Xenoblade models to make trophies of them right? They will have to be made from scratch, or am I wrong?
I hope they don't port Xenoblade models. One of the really cool things that would come of an HD Xenoblade re-release would be HD models. HD Mechon! HD Melia! HD Monado!

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
They would pretty much have to be made from scratch. Having those models in Smash Bros would just be kind of cringe worthy. If you know what I mean.

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
That's what I've been thinking. If they are made from scratch, I can't wait to see Diqson, Metal face, the whole cast etc in HD.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
They would pretty much have to be made from scratch. Having those models in Smash Bros would just be kind of cringe worthy. If you know what I mean.
The might use the models as bases and just build them up, but yeah, the face textures alone on the real models would make me cry in HD.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
So guys, I've been thinking. Once we get the subforum, how would you guys feel about giving some of the threads Xenoblade themed names? For example, the image gallery and/or a fan art thread could be called something like "Kenny Rohan's art exhibition" and the fanfic thread (if we're allowed to have one) could be called "Ewan's writing desk." Any thoughts?

D

Deleted member

So guys, I've been thinking. Once we get the subforum, how would you guys feel about giving some of the threads Xenoblade themed names? For example, the image gallery and/or a fan art thread could be called something like "Kenny Rohan's art exhibition" and the fanfic thread (if we're allowed to have one) could be called "Ewan's writing desk." Any thoughts?
I would like those! That's actually pretty clever.

They would most definitely have to be made from scratch. Those models are really poor quality...

SnapDrake_Games

Smash Apprentice
Analysis thread = Shulk's lab

BoxedCookies

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5370-0875-8652
Afternoon everyone ;) Been scrolling through for a spell, just wanted to say that after replaying through Xenoblade Chronicles, I would love to see Shulk as a playable character, here to show my support. :D

Burruni

Smash Hero
There's something that I've been wondering about with Shulk's inclusion (which I feel is more when than if)...
With Super Smash Bros. 64, all characters had a stage of their series except Ness and Captain Falcon (Ness sharing Dreamland and Captain in Zebes), likely due to there being such a limit on stages in general. Sakurai probably had no idea how big Smash was going to be.
In Melee, the only characters to not have a stage to their franchise were Roy and Marth who meant to have a stage based on Akenia (based on the unused in-game data) that was probably cut due to time constraints.
With Brawl, there was almost as many stages as characters in each franchise, plus the random additions of 75m and Havenbow... but every series of a character had at least one playable stage.
With Smash 3DS/WiiU, there has been a stage you could tie to about every newcomer.
Villager: NotSmashville Town And City
Megaman: Wily's Castle
WFT: Wii Fit training room thing
Rosalina & Luma: Gateway Galaxy
Little Mac: Boxing Ring
Greninja: Kalos Pokemon League/Prism Tower
Mii Fighters: Find Mii, Tomadachi Suite
Palutena: Palutena's Temple
Pac-Man: The-Two-Pac-Stages-Whose-Names-Escape-Me
Lucina/Robin: Arena Ferox.
Assuming this being the case, what exactly would be the stage for Shulk? A half-destroyed Colony 9 during the Mechon Raid? "The Core"? I want to hear your ideas.

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
There's something that I've been wondering about with Shulk's inclusion (which I feel is more when than if)...
With Super Smash Bros. 64, all characters had a stage of their series except Ness and Captain Falcon (Ness sharing Dreamland and Captain in Zebes), likely due to there being such a limit on stages in general. Sakurai probably had no idea how big Smash was going to be.
In Melee, the only characters to not have a stage to their franchise were Roy and Marth who meant to have a stage based on Akenia (based on the unused in-game data) that was probably cut due to time constraints.
With Brawl, there was almost as many stages as characters in each franchise, plus the random additions of 75m and Havenbow... but every series of a character had at least one playable stage.
With Smash 3DS/WiiU, there has been a stage you could tie to about every character.
Villager: NotSmashville Town And City
Megaman: Wily's Castle
WFT: Wii Fit training room thing
Rosalina & Luma: Gateway Galaxy
Little Mac: Boxing Ring
Greninja: Kalos Pokemon League/Prism Tower
Mii Fighters: Find Mii, Tomadachi Suite
Palutena: Palutena's Temple
Pac-Man: The-Two-Pac-Stages-Whose-Names-Escape-Me
Lucina/Robin: Arena Ferox.
Assuming this being the case, what exactly would be the stage for Shulk? A half-destroyed Colony 9 during the Mechon Raid? "The Core"? I want to hear your ideas.
The idea that we've been tossing around here is a Junks stage that travels around different locations on Bionis and Mechonis. Seems like it would be the best way to represent all the different locations in Xenoblade.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Afternoon everyone ;) Been scrolling through for a spell, just wanted to say that after replaying through Xenoblade Chronicles, I would love to see Shulk as a playable character, here to show my support. :D
Ooooohhhh @BluePikmin11 we got another one.

And yeah, the stage idea has been discussed to he'll and back. General consensus is Junks traveling around the Bionis. For 3DS, a lot of ideas have been posited.

Last edited:

BoxedCookies

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5370-0875-8652
Welcome to the Shulk thread. Hey someone! Give this kind fellow here a gif!
Ooooohhhh @BluePikmin11 we got another one.

And yeah, the stage idea has been discussed to he'll and back. General consensus is Junks traveling around the Bionis. For 3DS, a lot of ideas have been posited.
Thanks guys! ;D Like the moveset ideas!

That is beautiful. :love:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I was thinking of Gaur Plains. You fight on a weird, curved structure and there are animals or the Mechonis in the background. I think that this would represent how different and how vast the world of Xenoblade Chronicles is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom