• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
At the very least I think a Xenoblade character will be playable in the game. Most likely Shulk, but I could see Riki getting as a wild card character.

Personally as long as I get a MS character I will be satisfied.
In case you missed out on some of our wild discussions, here are the top 3 options for Riki in Smash 4:

1) Assist Trophy
2) Item that functions similarly to Mr. Saturn
3) Apart of Shulk's moveset

:facepalm:

Rest easy knowing that Shulk will likely be a playable character.

Hey all.

If Shulk was an AT... I'd suck it up. I'm already prepared mentally in case he isn't a character. Yes, there's a lot of evidence that supports he's in, but you never know.

As for what he'd do as an AT. Maybe it could involve him having a vision, and when an enemy attempts to hit you Shulk intervenes and changes the future somehow? XD

Also, I was surprised how the poll on gamefaqs turned out. The one asking if you'd rather have Ridley or Shulk. Shulk ended up winning by over 100 votes. O_o

IF his final smash isn't a chain attack with randomly selected party members, then I'd still like it to be a short cinematic like Captain Falcon's final smash. Something like the Mechonis rearing up in the background and swinging at the stage, and only Shulk is able to avoid it due to his visions. :troll:
Glad to hear that you have your grain of salt prepared.

And the idea of having a FS 'attack' that Shulk isn't instigating himself is actually pretty interesting and somewhat funny at the same time.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
So guys, if we do get the chain attack FS, and Shulk gets alternate costumes based on different armor sets, do you think the party members should be wearing the matching set? Might be a little too much to ask for, but god would that be some grade A fanservice.

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
So guys, if we do get the chain attack FS, and Shulk gets alternate costumes based on different armor sets, do you think the party members should be wearing the matching set? Might be a little too much to ask for, but god would that be some grade A fanservice.
I don't see that happening, Unless Mega Man's FS is changed to have matching colors in the final build, I kind of doubt it would happen to anyone else.

Chalphy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chalphy
In case you missed out on some of our wild discussions, here are the top 3 options for Riki in Smash 4:

1) Assist Trophy
2) Item that functions similarly to Mr. Saturn
3) Apart of Shulk's moveset

:facepalm:

Rest easy knowing that Shulk will likely be a playable character.
Frankly I disagree about Riki. As the mascot character, he is the only party member besides Shulk who has a realistic chance at being playable. But that is irrelevant to this thread.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Frankly I disagree about Riki. As the mascot character, he is the only party member besides Shulk who has a realistic chance at being playable. But that is irrelevant to this thread.
Fiora's viable too.

Especially in her Mechon form.

But that's a debate for the Fiora thread.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Since we know that Sakurai doesn't care about spoilers: (Obvious spoilers below)

Fiora is also a logical choice, because she's the "Meyneth's Monado" wielder, and is basically the second half to the whole. Plus, Japan loves her, too!

But honestly, if any Xenoblade character gets in, it's Shulk. Riki may be a mascot, but anyone is fooling themselves if they think Riki is suddenly more important than representation of the Monado itself. (And the definitive main character, but the sword is the most iconic thing in the game. Only Shulk can wield it properly out of them all.)

Chalphy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chalphy
But honestly, if any Fire Emblem: Awakening character gets in, it's Chrom. Lucina may be a mascot, but anyone is fooling themselves if they think Lucina is suddenly more important than representation of the Fire Emblem itself. (And the definitive main character, but the shield is the most iconic thing in the game. Only Chrom can wield it properly out of them all.)
Be careful there.

Understand that I support Shulk and believe him to be the most probable Xenoblade rep, but my main hope is for a Monolith Soft character in general.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Be careful there.

Understand that I support Shulk and believe him to be the most probable Xenoblade rep, but my main hope is for a Monolith Soft character in general.
Oh where do I begin?

Okay, first of all, Chrom didn't get in because Sakurai couldn't think of a unique enough moveset. Shulk won't face that problem.

Second, Chrom wasn't booted in favor of Lucina. He was disregarded early on, and Robin (who is arguably just as if not more important) was added. Lucina was a last-second addition.

Third, I'd hardly call Riki a mascot. He's the plucky and occasionally obnoxious comic relief. Just because the Nopon are being written into X doesn't make Riki a mascot.

Seriously, it's a completely different situation. Xenoblade Chronicles is not Fire Emblem. Don't use Chrom's failure to claim Shulk might lose out in favor of an obnoxious hairball. It won't happen. If Monolith gets a rep, it will be Shulk first, then we can talk a possible second rep.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Reyn could easily take Shulk's spot. You can't have a rainbow without Reyn after all. :troll:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Be careful there.

Lucina isn't the correct comparison. The situation you described would be like Anna getting into Smash over Marth. Personally? I want and expect Shulk, but I wouldn't be devastated if we got Riki or Fiora or any other Xeno rep instead.

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Lucina isn't the correct comparison. The situation hou described would be like Anna getting into Smash over Marth. Personally? I want and expect Shulk, but I wouldn't be devastated if we got Riki or Fiora or any other Xeno rep instead.
Depending on which rep we would get, I would maybe be upset. Fiora, Reyn or Dunban I would be fine with, but if Melia, Sharla or Riki got in over Shulk I would be rly mad. Not that there even is a slight chance of a non-Shulk Xenoblade rep making it over Shulk.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
The only non-Shulk Xeno rep I can MAYBE see getting in over Shulk is Riki, because Nopon. But that's slimmer than Paper Mario. We either get Shulk by himself, Shulk with a friend, or nothing.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
The only non-Shulk Xeno rep I can MAYBE see getting in over Shulk is Riki, because Nopon. But that's slimmer than Paper Mario. We either get Shulk by himself, Shulk with a friend, or nothing.
Precisely what I think. It wouldn't really make any sense to have a Xenoblade character that is not Shulk, without Shulk.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Fire Emblem character adding is nowhere near relative to a solo series.

As @ ZXMechonHunter ZXMechonHunter beautifully stated, it's Shulk, Shulk with friends, or nada.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well I'm laughing at the pathetic attempts at making Chrom DLC, if that counts.
Hey, at least they have the balls to stick up for what they want, and don't flip-flop who they support like a pancake in a storm. For that I admire them, and find it more honorable than anything. Especially more honorable than petty schadenfreude.

Anyway, my Wii Remote broke while playing Xenoblade. I was at about the time when the Monado acted strangely in the lab, so I'm still near the beginning. It's a nice game so far!

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Hey, at least they have the balls to stick up for what they want, and don't flip-flop who they support like a pancake in a storm. For that I admire them, and find it more honorable than anything. Especially more honorable than petty schadenfreude.

Anyway, my Wii Remote broke while playing Xenoblade. I was at about the time when the Monado acted strangely in the lab, so I'm still near the beginning. It's a nice game so far!
Not even the Wii Mote can handle the power of the Monado ; o

(sorry to hear that mate >: )

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I respect that too. Shows that the support base is dedicated, which is good.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Since we know that Sakurai doesn't care about spoilers: (Obvious spoilers below)

Fiora is also a logical choice, because she's the "Meyneth's Monado" wielder, and is basically the second half to the whole. Plus, Japan loves her, too!

But honestly, if any Xenoblade character gets in, it's Shulk. Riki may be a mascot, but anyone is fooling themselves if they think Riki is suddenly more important than representation of the Monado itself. (And the definitive main character, but the sword is the most iconic thing in the game. Only Shulk can wield it properly out of them all.)
I know we always talk about
Mechon Fiora
in spoilers, but I wouldn't count out major spoilers in Smash. Let's remember that the following was a series of commercials for Xenoblade in Japan on release!

It also shows the importance of that character.

Neo Zero

Mechon Fiora
in spoilers, but I wouldn't count out major spoilers in Smash. Let's remember that the following was a series of commercials for Xenoblade in Japan on release!

That songs so nice

I won't lie, I'm shocked they'd
show a big reveal, or at least imply it, in a commercial like that

Was Shulk even used in advertising?

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Mechon Fiora

Was Sakurai behind these commercials? Those are some srs spoilers, srsly.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Mechon Fiora

Well, on that note, I don't think there"s any questioning who the second representative would be. They didn't even care about this spoiler when the game first came out.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
That songs so nice

I won't lie, I'm shocked they'd
show a big reveal, or at least imply it, in a commercial like that

Was Shulk even used in advertising?
Not that I've seen, those were the only two Xenoblade commercials to my knowledge. I'm not Japanese though, so I could be wrong.

Another thing I've heard is that Reyn isn't that popular in Japan so I don't expect him to have much of a role unless he is part of a chain attack final smash. I think part of the reason Reyn is so popular in the West is because the localization team and voice actor did an awesome job of giving him a goof ball personality, and all the puns and word play definitely helped.

Neo Zero

Not that I've seen, those were the only two Xenoblade commercials to my knowledge. I'm not Japanese though, so I could be wrong.

Another thing I've heard is that Reyn isn't that popular in Japan so I don't expect him to have much of a role unless he is part of a chain attack final smash. I think part of the reason Reyn is so popular in the West is because the localization team and voice actor did an awesome job of giving him a goof ball personality, and all the puns and word play definitely helped.
I guess it isn't Reyn time in Japan

What a depressing sounding place if they don't have that. D:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522

Woolseyisms FTW!

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Have you guys seen the recent post about Shulk's Smash 4 events from the "leaker" Neo Zero is talking to. They sound like some of the events we thought of happening:

"There is one where you play as Pit and protect Palutena from Shulk (don't ask me why, it was strange)"
I think we all know what that is referencing.

"There was one where Shulk fought Ridley, and you have this random assist out for some reason. Its probably from Xenoblade, so i'll tell you once I've played the game or something. Maybe I'll try looking up the characters."
Fighting a Telethia possibly? I wonder who the assist is. My money would be on Fiora.

Also something more on his move set:

"Shulks Neutral B was basically this large swing thing, and did really little Knock back but had great range and power.

His sword did change colour, and it seemed t change colour for every special move. It did last for a second or two longer after the attack I think. But I never really felt any difference. Maybe I wasn't one of the people testing that mechanic, So I wasn't really told?"

Basically Monado Buster and changing symbols. Sounds very accurate. I wonder if this guy really hasn't played Xenoblade. If this all ends up true then Shulk would be definitely be faithful to Xenoblade and pretty much play the way we want.

This was also the guy who said Shulk had a down B stun counter and backslash as a side smash right? Coupled with some sort of up B that causes opponents to trip if used on the ground.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The other Japanese Xenoblade commercials. Maybe some spoilers? Don't really think so.

Neo Zero

Have you guys seen the recent post about Shulk's Smash 4 events from the "leaker" Neo Zero is talking to. They sound like some of the events we thought of happening:

"There is one where you play as Pit and protect Palutena from Shulk (don't ask me why, it was strange)"

"There was one where Shulk fought Ridley, and you have this random assist out for some reason. Its probably from Xenoblade, so i'll tell you once I've played the game or something. Maybe I'll try looking up the characters."
Fighting a Telethia possibly? I wonder who the assist is. My money would be on Fiora.

"Shulks Neutral B was basically this large swing thing, and did really little Knock back but had great range and power.

His sword did change colour, and it seemed t change colour for every special move. It did last for a second or two longer after the attack I think. But I never really felt any difference. Maybe I wasn't one of the people testing that mechanic, So I wasn't really told?"

Basically Monado Buster and changing symbols. Sounds very accurate. I wonder if this guy really hasn't played Xenoblade. If this all ends up true then Shulk would be definitely be faithful to Xenoblade and pretty much play the way we want.

This was also the guy who said Shulk had a down B stun counter and backslash as a side smash right? Coupled with some sort of up B that causes opponents to trip if used on the ground.
I'd rather not talk about this outside that thread, but I'll just tell you right now, he had one more Shulk based event. It could very well be based around his reveal trailer, and that's a secret for now. If I see the two other characters listed in it, he may be telling the truth.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
The other Japanese Xenoblade commercials. Maybe some spoilers? Don't really think so.

Egil? What? The content they showed in that trailer is really odd. First we are in colony 9, then suddenly Egil.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

The assist for the Ridley event would likely be Melia, as you would be helping Melia defeat the Telethia.

I would think Fiora and Riki would be assists before Melia, but then again, Elecman.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I'd rather not talk about this outside that thread, but I'll just tell you right now, he had one more Shulk based event. It could very well be based around his reveal trailer, and that's a secret for now. If I see the two other characters listed in it, he may be telling the truth.
Sorry, should I edit it out? I always like to post some of the leaks in this thread to spur more conversation, but I understand the problem of some users running to other sites with the information. I've been following your posts in that thread. Even if the information proves to be false, its entertaining.

Neo Zero

Sorry, should I edit it out? I always like to post some of the leaks in this thread to spur more conversation, but I understand the problem of some users running to other sites with the information. I've been following your posts in that thread. Even if the information proves to be false, its entertaining.
It's fine. Its just this still isn't verified information, thus I'd like to keep it contained away from the masses. I'm sure you all remember how silly things got when Sal's word was law, I'd prefer that didn't happen again.

For what it's worth, the two vets in the event do make sense for a Shulk reveal

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
You know what would be awesome? If Chain Attack as a Final Smash used the Xenoblade press "B" quick time events for each party member, and if the party members move would hit only if you successfully completed the action. This way, each party member would do a unique action that could build upon each other. Maybe Dunban will start with Gale Slash, then Sharla can do Metal Blast. This is were it gets interesting. If you successfully do Metal Blast, then that would set up Reyn to cause topple and then Shulk could finish it off with Shaker Edge to cause a shield break type of daze to all the affected opponents. If you missed Sharla's break attack, though, Reyn and Shulk couldn't topple and daze... they would still do their attacks but it would only result in damage. Maybe Sharla's role can actually be heal bullet, so that part of the chain attack will heal Shulk, and someone else can cause break.

Neo Zero

You know what would be awesome? If Chain Attack as a Final Smash used the Xenoblade press "B" quick time events for each party member, and if the party members move would hit only if you successfully completed the action. This way, each party member would do a unique action that could build upon each other. Maybe Dunban will start with Gale Slash, then Sharla can do Metal Blast. This is were it gets interesting. If you successfully do Metal Blast, then that would set up Reyn to cause topple and then Shulk could finish it off with Shaker Edge to cause a shield break type of daze to all the affected opponents. If you missed Sharla's break attack, though, Reyn and Shulk couldn't topple and daze... they would still do their attacks but it would only result in damage. Maybe Sharla's role can actually be heal bullet, so that part of the chain attack will heal Shulk, and someone else can cause break.
It'd be like DK's Final Smash if it wasn't the worst thing ever :laugh:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Guys. Maybe you should stop putting major plot points in spoilers all the time. No, seriously. When you open the page, you can see what's inside them.
I didn't need to know that they would turn Fiora into a Mechon! That's TERRIBLE!

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
It'd be like DK's Final Smash if it wasn't the worst thing ever :laugh:
Inb4 Sakurai copy pasting DK's FS to Shulk. Don't ask me how it will look or how that even is possible, it just happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom