• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Yesterday we looked at regular arts, now, let's look at Mondado arts to see where we could place them as part of Shulk's movelist!
  • Enchant - Allows allies to damage Mechon for a time and boosts attack power.
  • Buster - Damages enemies in a straight line. Mechon suffer double damage.
  • Shield - Blocks Talent Arts of equal level or lower. Best used when Shulk has a vision.
  • Speed - Improves evasion of a single ally.
  • Purge - Damages single target at a distance. Removes Auras and Spike effects and inflicts Aura Seal.
  • Eater - Damages enemies in front, removes all buffs and inficts Bleed.
  • Armour - Reduces all Physical and Ether damage to the party.
  • Cyclone - Damages all enemies around Shulk. Enemies suffering Break will be Toppled

Theotakugirl9

Smash Apprentice
Welcome to the thread. Over on the right you'll see insanity unrelated to anything xenoblade, on the left, you'll see a little bit of actual discussion, and in the corner you'll see melia. Don't let her out of the corner.
Oops sorry could someone put melia back in the corner didnt know what that was so i got a little curious

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Yesterday we looked at regular arts, now, let's look at Mondado arts to see where we could place them as part of Shulk's movelist!
If Monado shield is Shulk's, well, Shield, I would be really happy.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Well, I wouldn't say top 3, though Shulk is at least a top 10 character.
Closer to top 5 I would say. That is the impression I have gotten over the last few months at least.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Well, I wouldn't say top 3, though Shulk is at least a top 10 character.
When you consider Japanese support, you would be hard pressed to not include Shulk in the top 5 at the moment.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
After K. Rool, Shulk and Ridley, Banjo and Kazooie and Isaac are in the Top 5. Marshal isn't even in the Top 10, and Dixie is 8th.
I don't even count Banjo and Kazooie since they will never happen. But trust me, that would be f**king awesome. I hope Microsoft sell back Rare to Nintendo dammit.

Last edited:

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
Considering Shulk is the most requested newcomer in Japan and a pretty sizeable fanbase in the West it's not a stretch to say he's one of the top 3 most popular newcomer choices right now. Also probably has a little to do with we're nearing the game's release, plenty of requested characters have either been confirmed or deconfirmed and Shulk, Ridley, Dixie Kong, King K Rool and Marshal are considered the most likely.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
I don't even count Banjo and Kazooie since they will never happen. But trust me, that would be f**king awesome. I hope Microsoft sell back Rare to Nintendo dammit.
Microsoft uses Rare so wrong. They could do way more and better things with Rare, but nope. This is one of the reasons I strongly dislike Microsoft.

I found this on GameFAQs yesterday. I think It's pretty true.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
  • Enchant - Allows allies to damage Mechon for a time and boosts attack power.
  • Buster - Damages enemies in a straight line. Mechon suffer double damage.
  • Shield - Blocks Talent Arts of equal level or lower. Best used when Shulk has a vision.
  • Speed - Improves evasion of a single ally.
  • Purge - Damages single target at a distance. Removes Auras and Spike effects and inflicts Aura Seal.
  • Eater - Damages enemies in front, removes all buffs and inficts Bleed.
  • Armour - Reduces all Physical and Ether damage to the party.
  • Cyclone - Damages all enemies around Shulk. Enemies suffering Break will be Toppled
Challenge Accepted! Go!

Let's see... Make Buster the neutral special, Purge side special, Cyclone up special, then have Enchant, Shield, and Speed as a down special that allows you to choose one of the three buffs. Then include Eater and Armour in the Final Smash.

How'd I do?

BluehunterZero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zero7298
3DS FC
5026-4480-2477
This has probably been talked about before but i want to bring it up anyways,What weaknesses would Shulk have to prevent him from being too overpowered? I see him being a glass cannon,deals out a lot of damage but he can be knocked off the stage easily.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
  • Enchant - I don't know, maybe a Neutral B stat buff if anything.
  • Buster - Seems like a decent Side B or Neutral B. Just a simple attack, something like Marth's Neutral B from Melee but with more start up and range. Could actually see it as a side smash as well.
  • Shield - Probably best used as Shulk's shield, could possibly also be his Down B. Most likely used to absorb one attack or special.
  • Speed - Possible Up or Side B as a modified Fox illusion. Could also work as a sort of Down B counter.
  • Purge - Up, Side, or Neutral B. If it is an Up special it would probably be best if aimed. Side special could also be used as a horizontal recovery. Move could either interrupt and lock specials or do tons of shield damage.
  • Eater - Side or Neutral B, it would add a poison style damage over time debuff to targets.
  • Armour - Down B, damage reduction ability.
  • Cyclone - Interesting ability. Could very well be a down, neutral, or up special. The down special would probably focus more on the defensive properties of the move, as it could deflect incoming items and projectiles. The Up special would use the ether explosion to launch Shulk into the air. The Neutral special would likely be a charge move that would damage and perhaps even trip opponents.
Cyclone and Buster might even be made into a Final Smash, but I personally feel both are too weak to get the job done.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
This has probably been talked about before but i want to bring it up anyways,What weaknesses would Shulk have to prevent him from being too overpowered? I see him being a glass cannon,deals out a lot of damage but he can be knocked off the stage easily.
IT makes a lot of sense really, since thats basically how he played in the game

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Challenge Accepted! Go!

Let's see... Make Buster the neutral special, Purge side special, Cyclone up special, then have Enchant, Shield, and Speed as a down special that allows you to choose one of the three buffs. Then include Eater and Armour in the Final Smash.

How'd I do?
Not bad. Not bad at all.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I can't take Cyclone as a recovery seriously. Not that it's a bad idea per se, but it would look so silly. Shulk's ROFLcopter goes swoi swoi swoi swoi.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Banjo and Kazooie? Funny, that's one I didn't even know was wanted.
Friggin' Goku is wanted, of course Banjo and Kazooie are wanted. :b
That's exactly what I always thought. I want him how he is in the game, agile, deals quite a decent amount of damage, but a lightweight. I feel like going up against someone playing Little Mac who knows what they're doing would be really challenging for someone playing as Shulk because of that..

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Not bad. Not bad at all.
Cool. B)

I can't take Cyclone as a recovery seriously. Not that it's a bad idea per se, but it would look so silly. Shulk's ROFLcopter goes swoi swoi swoi swoi.
I'm not seeing it, honestly. I'm basically imagining something like Diddy's Rocketbarrels or Palutena's Rocket Jump. I mean, there isn't any actual spinning in Monado Cyclone, is there?

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Cool. B)

I'm not seeing it, honestly. I'm basically imagining something like Diddy's Rocketbarrels or Palutena's Rocket Jump. I mean, there isn't any actual spinning in Monado Cyclone, is there?
Well, it's more the name that gets to me. And also the fact that Cyclone is never once used recovery-esque in Xenoblade. Therefore I think that Monado speed or Monado purge would work better.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Well, it's more the name that gets to me. And also the fact that Cyclone is never once used recovery-esque in Xenoblade. Therefore I think that Monado speed or Monado purge would work better.
You do rise up in the air after using Cyclone. Like a foot up, but still.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Ah, I see. I guess part of my thoughts on the Cyclone recovery is that when you use it in the game, it looks like everything on the whole damn screen is going upward, so why not Shulk too?

SnapDrake_Games

Smash Apprentice
I guess it should also be noted that we have seen recovries like that before (where you only go up a tiny bit), alah Yoshi And it would defiantly make him easier to K.O, alah a weakness.
Yeah, but the guys with bad recoveries either have good jumps, alah Yoshi's flutter jump, or are specifically made to be bad in air, alah Little Mac. Shulk, I think, should have decent recovery at least, as it doesn't seem right to give him amazing jump height.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I guess it should also be noted that we have seen recovries like that before (where you only go up a tiny bit), alah Yoshi And it would defiantly make him easier to K.O, alah a weakness.
But he would need a good recovery as a glass cannon though.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Here's my opinion on the leak if you care about my input on it.
I found this on Gamefaqs and brought it up on the Leaks thread, and so far, people seem to agree its pretty reasonable, and it mentions Shulk, so I'll put it here aswell:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69772248
BeOtherGuy said:
I work as a tester for the English version of Smash Brothers for 3DS, but recently I have had to quit due to school getting ahead of me, and me needed to catch up. None the less I figure I might as well leak what I can, as anonymously as possible. The perfect thing about this site is that it kind of blends in. It is however very awkward, and I'm not sure I should do this, but I think I will anyway.

The developers where probably smart in only giving testers the portions of the game they want you to test. Some people act as specifically balance testers, but those people are honestly better at the game then me, and they get looks at the full mechanics of battle mode. I was more of an odd job tester, I'm doing IT, and I felt this would be a good way for me to get better at noticing bugs in games I wanted to make. Anyway, they give me bits of the game (usually very small) and I make sure there's nothing buggy that they missed.

I had to give back all my versions of the game, so I am working off of memory here, so please forgive me if I can't get too detailed or I get something a little off.

-There is a trophy of the Inking (Splatoon)

-The Double Cherry was a tested Item early on, but was taken away early once someone tried to to double an Pikmin and Olimar. You where only able to have 1 out on the field at a time (so only 1 person could double), but when doubling olimar it had to many things on screen to run well at the same time, when you faced against 3 other olimars and one of the more complex assist trophies.

-Ice Climbers returns: their grabs seemed to be better then ever, with fantastic range. but also, they seem to be a little weaker in all other aspects. It's also important to note that de syncing seems to be a little harder.

-Shulk is a newcomer: please forgive me, since I haven't played the game (I've been planning to over the holidays), but his neutral special makes his sword really big, his down special is basically counter, but it stuns to opponent temporarily, instead of you hitting them automatically. His recovery isn't fantastic, but it makes people trip if you hit them from the ground, it also has really good range from the ground. Also, his side smash does a HUGE amount of damage when you hit an opponent from behind. Seriously though, if you counter someone, you can hit them from behind and it HURTS.

-Robins customizable moves focus mainly on how many times you can use his books

-Lucina and Marth have custom moves that focus on their type of sword play specifically. For example, one of Lucina's neutral B customs has a lot longer total range, while Marths Neutral B custom increases increases the size of the tip temporarily,

--Links neutral B customs are Fire Arrow and Ice Arrow

-Ridley is in fact a newcomer: He's basically the opposite of Little Mac is the best way I think to put it. He has really good air time, and has fantastic aerial moves. His side special is a grab type move where he zooms forward and grabs someone. his neutral special is a breath attack thing.

-There are new things, similar to the codec calls in brawl. specifically the ability to talk with Hades and Varidi about characters you're facing.

-Event Matches are back, and they seem more like Melee then Brawl. There is actually an event to represent each character reveal trailer.

-Wario is also returning, although I've honestly never been able to get the hang of him.

-I'm sure theirs somethings if forgetting, and I'll comment those things if I remember them.
Inkling trophy - Idk why he would feel he had to leak something so simple and likely as this.

Double Cherry - Can't be proven nor disproven

Ice Climbers - Even better at chain grabs? Geeze, nthx.

Shulk newcomer - Thanks! I still have a hard time seeing Monado Buster as a neutral special, but I suppose it's possible. Down B stunning opponent is an interesting idea. The up B is pretty much exactly what I did for my brawl mod moveset. Back slash...
--------The reason I don't trust the Shulk part in particular is he says he hasn't played the game but yet he only talks about the parts of the moveset that have big significance to the game. He doesn't bring up anything that doesn't.

-Robin customization - ok?

-Robin/Marth customization - We have already seen that Marth's B attack can be customized to cover a great distance.

-Link's B customization - The fire arrow and ice arrow are the easiest things to guess. Furthermore, there should be one more customization option. Each special has 4 options. Why leave out the third?

-Ridley.

-Wario has already been leaked so... yeah. I guess that's probably why this 'leaker' chose this veteran.

-This is supposed to be all you can remember? Must have a bad memory..
-
Considering Shulk is the most requested newcomer in Japan and a pretty sizeable fanbase in the West it's not a stretch to say he's one of the top 3 most popular newcomer choices right now. Also probably has a little to do with we're nearing the game's release, plenty of requested characters have either been confirmed or deconfirmed and Shulk, Ridley, Dixie Kong, King K Rool and Marshal are considered the most likely.
Good point, actually. For want, gamefaqa voted Shulk above Ridley, Smashboards rated Shulk within 1/10 of a percent of Ridley, and in japan he is the most wanted. I'd say he comes as #2, behind Mewtwo.
Also, can anyone refer me to a statistic or evidence that suggest that Mewtwo is the #1 most wanted? I know everyone says it, but can it actually be backed up?

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Inkling trophy - Idk why he would feel he had to leak something so simple and likely as this.

Shulk newcomer - Thanks! I still have a hard time seeing Monado Buster as a neutral special, but I suppose it's possible. Down B stunning opponent is an interesting idea. The up B is pretty much exactly what I did for my brawl mod moveset. Back slash...
--------The reason I don't trust the Shulk part in particular is he says he hasn't played the game but yet he only talks about the parts of the moveset that have big significance to the game. He doesn't bring up anything that doesn't.

-Robin/Marth customization - We have already seen that Marth's B attack can be customized to cover a great distance.

-Link's B customization - The fire arrow and ice arrow are the easiest things to guess. Furthermore, there should be one more customization option. Each special has 4 options. Why leave out the third?

-Ridley.

-Wario has already been leaked so... yeah. I guess that's probably why this 'leaker' chose this veteran.

-

Good point, actually. For want, gamefaqa voted Shulk above Ridley, Smashboards rated Shulk within 1/10 of a percent of Ridley, and in japan he is the most wanted. I'd say he comes as #2, behind Mewtwo.
Also, can anyone refer me to a statistic or evidence that suggest that Mewtwo is the #1 most wanted? I know everyone says it, but can it actually be backed up?
Because he's goddamn Mewtwo!

I'm actually wondering about that too. People say it all the time, but there has never really been any evidence.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion

-Ridley.

-
IT should be noted that the leaks thread has actually got in contact with the guy, maybe you should ask them to ask him about this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom