• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Shulk newcomer - Thanks! I still have a hard time seeing Monado Buster as a neutral special, but I suppose it's possible. Down B stunning opponent is an interesting idea. The up B is pretty much exactly what I did for my brawl mod moveset. Back slash...
--------The reason I don't trust the Shulk part in particular is he says he hasn't played the game but yet he only talks about the parts of the moveset that have big significance to the game. He doesn't bring up anything that doesn't.
I agree with this. Mentioning that upB trips people is particularly suspicious, as it seems like something that the average non-Xenoblade vet wouldn't take notice of at all.

Also, thanks for posting that. I hadn't seen it before.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Because he's goddamn Mewtwo!

I'm actually wondering about that too. People say it all the time, but there has never really been any evidence.
I can't reference any specific records proving Mewtwo is the most popular, though I think on most polls Mewtwo usually ranks quite high. But I think the claim is backed up by just how many people you can see in the general Smash community who want him to return.

SnapDrake_Games

Smash Apprentice
With all the talk about character popularity, I decided to take a look which characters were the most popular based on number of replies to their respective threads. The top 6 are, in descending order.

#6.) Krystal (Starfox); boosted, of course, by the reveal of Starfox WiiU (hype!). 4,171 replies

#5.) Isaac (Golden Sun); he's not yet confirmed as an assist trophy, so there's still hope. 4,436 replies

#4.) Bandana Dee (Kirby); basically the definitive 4th Kirby character, sort of the underdog here. 4,985 replies

#3.) Shulk (Xenoblade); this thread needs no explanation. 13, 477 replies

#2.) King K. Rool (Donkey Kong); we're off by just over a hundred posts. Come on, guys! We can do this. 13, 590 replies

#1.) Ridley (Metroid); it's not even close. Ridley has almost 4x as manny posts as K. Rool, and it's no surprise. 54,708 replies

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
We shall soon become #2.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Mewtwo is a veteran and not a newcomer, so it doesn't matter how much people want him.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So a probably touchy new topic here, but what will you do if Shulk ends up being confirmed as a shocking assist trophy?
Well, that would be rather unfortunate... Shulk would have been a great addition to Smash, and there was a lot of great stuff he could bring with him just by being a character from Xenoblade.

But his disconfirmation would also be somewhat hilarious.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I don't trust any rumored leak that gives away the leakers position in game development. Who would do that?

Nothing in the leak sounds outlandish though, and I would personally be happy with those additions.
These thing have happened before. But, yes, you're better off assuming they are all fake.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
Well, that would be rather unfortunate... Shulk would have been a great addition to Smash, and there was a lot of great stuff he could bring with him just by being a character from Xenoblade.

But his disconfirmation would also be somewhat hilarious.
I never get why people say a character getting disconfirmed would be hilarious. Granted I know most of the time people are half joking. But still, "hey look, this character people want got disconfirmed! That's hilarious!" I wouldn't even do that for characters I dislike like Isaac and Krystal.

These thing have happened before. But, yes, you're better off assuming they are all fake.
It's a double edged sword. Nothing is outlandish so in one sense it seems plausible, but at the same time its so routine that you think it has to be fake considering how unpredictable Sakurai is.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I never get why people say a character getting disconfirmed would be hilarious. Granted I know most of the time people are half joking. But still, "hey look, this character people want got disconfirmed! That's hilarious!" I wouldn't even do that for characters I dislike like Isaac and Krystal.
100% agreed.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I hate when people does that too, they wouldn't like it if their most request character gets disconfirmed so why laugh when it happens to others.

SnapDrake_Games

Smash Apprentice
I hate when people does that too, they wouldn't like it if their most request character gets disconfirmed so why laugh when it happens to others.
And yet for some reason everyone is laughing at the Chrom supporters. Or are they? Is it just Sakurai? Are we laughing at the Takamaru supporters? I really don't know what's going on with that.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
And yet for some reason everyone is laughing at the Chrom supporters. Or are they? Is it just Sakurai? Are we laughing at the Takamaru supporters? I really don't know what's going on with that.
I think people find the portrayal of Chrom in the trailer to be the humorous part, not so much the fact that he was disconfirmed. Chrom is also the savior for many since he "killed" Gemetsu, so people also find it amusing because of that. Takamaru I saw some people happy because they thought it helped their character's chances. Either way its never really "hilarious" to see others down

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
No we are not laughing at chrom or Takamaru supporters, maybe someone else but not us. I was Pissed when Chorm and Takamaru was disconfirmed.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
So a probably touchy new topic here, but what will you do if Shulk ends up being confirmed as a shocking assist trophy?
Well.. I think if he was an assist he would alternate between attacking with his sword and then using a random monado art. Without being a character, Sakurai wouldn't need to worry about balancing, so Shulk really could have a full power Monado Buster, full size Monado Cyclone, full size Monado Eater, and full size Monado Purge. Shulk could also use the non-attacking Monado arts on the user: Monado Speed to grant faster run speed, Monado Armour to grant damage reduction, Monado Shield to block the next attack from doing any damage (super armor), and Monado Enchant to deal out more damage. Of course, he wouldn't use all these things in just one time being summoned, really just 2 maybe, so each time he came out he would have a different effect.

It would definitely be disappointing though.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Well, I don't think you are alone about that.
"When Chrom's smashing, Frederick takes his place!

Frederick: Leave it to me!"

Basically the Chrom thread last time I visited it. But hey, they are making a pretty united effort and you have to applaud them on that. If Shulk gets deconfirmed, we'll probably end up going the DLC route too... At least as an excuse to keep this thread going :4pacman:

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
"The future doesn't belong to them!" *Crying in the corner with Melia*
We can do this. We can't lose!

Seriously though, the odds of him being an AT are slim. If he's in at all, he's playable.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Discussion of Shulk as an AT is toxic and pains my eyes, heart, and soul.

Last edited:

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
We can do this. We can't lose!

Seriously though, the odds of him being an AT are slim. If he's in at all, he's playable.
Oh yeah, definitely. He has so much more potential for an actual fighter than merely an AT. I mean, we all know Sakurai's crazy already, but he's not THAT crazy.

...Right?

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Discussion of Shulk as an AT is toxic and pains my eyes, heart, and soul.
You know what? You're right.

Shulk WILL be in.

THE FUTURE DOESN'T BELONG TO YOU, SOLFERAI SAKURAI!!!

Actually I'm pretty sure it does.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
You know what? You're right.

Shulk WILL be in.

THE FUTURE DOESN'T BELONG TO YOU, SOLFERAI SAKURAI!!!

Actually I'm pretty sure it does.
Nice job, Sakurai had him in and now he's going to take Shulk out. Just 'cause you HAD to go and change the future.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
The future... is ours to simply wait out. :lol:

Patience is golden, because if we're hasty, like in Xenoblade, we may get an even worse future by trying to change one.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Let's drop the Assist Trophy talk. I already feel like I'm about to puke as it is. (Darn movie-theater popcorn...)

Hokori

Great King of Evil
The fallout from that Takamaru reveal is still real...
Even though it doesn't matter since we all know Shulk will be playable
Please Samurai...
I honestly figured Takamaru would be an AT, so his deconfirmation didn't leave me worried about Shulk at all. Whether he was included as a playable character or not, it wasn't going to have an impact on Shulk in the slightest imo.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
I honestly figured Takamaru would be an AT, so his deconfirmation didn't leave me worried about Shulk at all. Whether he was included as a playable character or not, it wasn't going to have an impact on Shulk in the slightest imo.
Same here. There was really nothing hinting at Takamaru being playable, it was a similar case to Chrom where people assumed there would be another retro revival character and Takamaru made the most sense. But y'know how it is when a popular newcomer choice gets disconfirmed, everyone starts panicking and wonders if their character's next. But not Shulk because...y'know it's late and I really don't feel like writing another wall of text, you all know why Shulk will be playable.

As will Fiora...teehee

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Same here. There was really nothing hinting at Takamaru being playable, it was a similar case to Chrom where people assumed there would be another retro revival character and Takamaru made the most sense. But y'know how it is when a popular newcomer choice gets disconfirmed, everyone starts panicking and wonders if their character's next. But not Shulk because...y'know it's late and I really don't feel like writing another wall of text, you all know why Shulk will be playable.

As will Fiora...teehee
I'm just going to copy and paste a ten-point argument in Shulk's favor I posted to KYM a while back. It's stuff we already know, but I find reading over it again to be a decent morale boost.
Leak or no leak, Shulk still has some of the best chances of anyone left.

1. He’s the most requested character in Japan who isn't from a franchise already being represented.

2. He has tremendous moveset potential with his various arts and Monado Arts.

3. Xenoblade was very well received critically, being named JRPG of the console generation by various sources, and didn't do too badly as far as sales are concerned all things considered (the North American release being exclusive to Game Stop and all). The game still holds its value to this day, with new copies going for around $90+ depending on where you look.

4. Sakurai is a fan of the game (or at the very least is aware of its existence), as shown when tweeted a picture of a model of the Monado (Shulk’s blade).

5. Since being acquired by Nintendo in 2007, Monolith Soft is the only Nintendo first party studio without their own representative in Smash Bros.

6. Building off of 5, Monolith Soft, on top of developing their own games, have also aided in the development of several other Nintendo games since 2007, including Zelda Skyward Sword, Zelda a Link Between Worlds, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Pikmin 3, and even Smash Bros. Brawl. Not giving them a character at this point would be criminal.

7. Nintendo has plans for Xenoblade as a franchise, as shown at this years E3 when it was revealed that Monolith Soft’s newest Wii U game is a spiritual sequel titled Xenoblade Chronicles X. Even if Shulk doesn't appear in XCX, he still easily could serve as Xenoblade’s equivalent of Marth. Including him would also be a great way to help build awareness for XCX.

8. Unlike Chrom, Shulk has no competition from his own game, or even his own studio for that matter when it comes to a spot in Smash Bros. Xenoblade is easily the most successful game Monolith Soft has made since becoming a Nintendo first party studio. Despite Xenoblade having seven playable characters, Shulk is the unquestionable protagonist of his game, with the most unique moveset potential thanks to his Monado arts.

9. There have recently been tweets from both Shulk’s English and Japanese voice actors, saying they have big announcements that they can’t talk about yet, with his Japanese voice actor even using #Xenoblade. Add on to the fact that one of the lead writers for Xenoblade retweeted the announcement for last weeks character reveal (even if it did turn out to actually be a Fire Emblem reveal).

10. Robin’s Nosferatu special. In yesterday’s pic of the day, Sakurai described it as being stronger if one uses it from behind their opponent. Anyone who has played Fire Emblem knows that such a mechanic has no grounding in Fire Emblem’s gameplay, as Fire Emblem doesn't even allow you to attack enemies from behind. So why would Sakurai pull this one random mechanic out of the air for Robin? Anyone who has played Xenoblade would recognize this mechanic right away, as arts having an added effect based on one’s position relative to the enemy is a common mechanic in the game. Most notable is Backslash, arguably Shulk’s most iconic non-Monado art, which deals double damage when Shulk uses it while behind his enemy. It’s not unreasonable to think that Sakurai developed this mechanic for Shulk, and was then like “Hey, I like this mechanic, where else can I incorporate it without it being overused?”

Last edited:

Chalphy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chalphy
At the very least I think a Xenoblade character will be playable in the game. Most likely Shulk, but I could see Riki getting as a wild card character.

Personally as long as I get a MS character I will be satisfied.

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
Hey all.

If Shulk was an AT... I'd suck it up. I'm already prepared mentally in case he isn't a character. Yes, there's a lot of evidence that supports he's in, but you never know.

As for what he'd do as an AT. Maybe it could involve him having a vision, and when an enemy attempts to hit you Shulk intervenes and changes the future somehow? XD

Also, I was surprised how the poll on gamefaqs turned out. The one asking if you'd rather have Ridley or Shulk. Shulk ended up winning by over 100 votes. O_o

IF his final smash isn't a chain attack with randomly selected party members, then I'd still like it to be a short cinematic like Captain Falcon's final smash. Something like the Mechonis rearing up in the background and swinging at the stage, and only Shulk is able to avoid it due to his visions. :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom