• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having trouble with tilts...

thelegend5306

Smash Cadet
First off, hey what's up. First post haha...

Anyways, on to why I made this thread. I'm having trouble consistently performing tilt attacks. I usually end up doing a jab, and occasionally I do a smash. This hurts my game pretty badly since there are many situations where a tilt would be very useful but I end up doing a jab/smash and get punished.

Is there a "secret" to doing tilt attacks or do you just have to practice and get a feel for them?

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I believe there are two solutions. I think you can set your controller settings so that only c-stick does smashes (c-stick+z charges them). Or, you can practise tilting the control stick half way before doing an attack. I like to squeeze the controller with my bottom four fingers when I'm doing a tilt.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
If you are doing a smash it means that you pressed the A button too early (the same time as the control stick movement), if you are doing a jab it means you are pressing the A button WAY too early (before the control stick movement) and if you start a dash or walk, you are pressing the A button too late (too long after the control stick movement).

Just practice and work on the timing.

thelegend5306

Smash Cadet
I believe there are two solutions. I think you can set your controller settings so that only c-stick does smashes (c-stick+z charges them). Or, you can practise tilting the control stick half way before doing an attack. I like to squeeze the controller with my bottom four fingers when I'm doing a tilt.
Hmm... I'll try that first one. I'm accustomed to doing smashes with the c-stick anyways. (Hyphen smash FTW)
If you are doing a smash it means that you pressed the A button too early (the same time as the control stick movement), if you are doing a jab it means you are pressing the A button WAY too early (before the control stick movement) and if you start a dash or walk, you are pressing the A button too late (too long after the control stick movement).

Just practice and work on the timing.
Practice makes perfect I guess...

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Everyone has trouble with this when they start out. Just keep playing and you'll get a feel for it.
Yeah...personally, the way I do tilts (using a Gamecube controller) is moving the Control Stick as if I'm walking, and then I press A after about 1-2 seconds during the walking animation. The only downside is the 1-2 seconds of walking, as little as it is, may cost me some time during the battle. The hardest one to do is an "Up Tilt", because I tend to jump once, and then I can make the "Up-A" act as a tilt. I haven't looked at the Controller Setup screen for a while...I don't know if one can set Jump as exclusive to the X and Y buttons, leaving the "Up" motion on the Control Stick to just mean "Up", NOT "Jump".

But yeah, the most I can recommend, OP, is adjusting yourself to the timings. Then they'll get much easier... I'm still trying to adjust to the "Short Hop" timings myself; it feels like I have to go "out of my way" to input the "Short Hop" or "Tilt" commands these days...

thelegend5306

Smash Cadet
Yeah...personally, the way I do tilts (using a Gamecube controller) is moving the Control Stick as if I'm walking, and then I press A after about 1-2 seconds during the walking animation. The only downside is the 1-2 seconds of walking, as little as it is, may cost me some time during the battle. The hardest one to do is an "Up Tilt", because I tend to jump once, and then I can make the "Up-A" act as a tilt. I haven't looked at the Controller Setup screen for a while...I don't know if one can set Jump as exclusive to the X and Y buttons, leaving the "Up" motion on the Control Stick to just mean "Up", NOT "Jump".

But yeah, the most I can recommend, OP, is adjusting yourself to the timings. Then they'll get much easier... I'm still trying to adjust to the "Short Hop" timings myself; it feels like I have to go "out of my way" to input the "Short Hop" or "Tilt" commands these days...
That's the weird thing though. I don't have trouble with short hops. It's strange.

I'm not really a "noob" I've been playing Smash since 64, but I never really played competitively until brawl (I've only done one tourney though and it wasn't really legit or anything (Hell, the only reason I lost is because somebody thought it would be a great idea to play on shadow moses isle(Wee! Parenthesis are fun!))). I actually beat the guy who won pretty easily afterwards with my third best character... Anyways, my point is that I can do most other technical things in brawl pretty easily and I'm pretty experienced (Or I guess I'd like to think so.), but I've just never been able to master tilts...
Turn Tap Jump off.
I've been meaning to do this for a while anyways. I just keep forgetting haha.

thelegend5306

Smash Cadet
Well yeah, but I figured it was worth a mention since he was talking about it. But yeah, it's probably not "weird". It's just a quick tap of the jump button after all...

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Start by having your character walk then press A.
This should allow your character to do a forward tilt.
This should give you an estimate of how lightly you need to move the analog stick.

Then repeat except to crouch and press A.

Then hold up lightly without activating a jump and press A.

thelegend5306

Smash Cadet
Ok, let me correct myself a bit. I don't have trouble doing tilts. I just have trouble doing them on command in combat.

I have been getting better over the past few days though.

i8pie

Smash Apprentice
I suppose you could use a laggy attack and whilst the animation is still out, put the control stick up/down/forward so by the time the move is finished you can use any of your tilt attacks. E.g. if I accidentally do MK's jab combo, I push forward so after I'm out of the attack I can do his ftilt.

Though I'm not that experienced so I'm not really sure if it's recommended as a way to use tilts.

TurnOneWrath

Smash Cadet
I've had similar issues when I was toying around with Lucario trying to get his uptilt consistently. And frankly, the issue still isn't really resolved. I've tried to take tapping up to jump off, but that ended up being awkward as I soon realized that I use up and Y interchangeably to jump.
"I wanted to jump, but I seem to be getting trounced upon instead..."

Maybe that's a bad habit I should get out of?

FIREL

Smash Ace
The lag of the attack is the way i do u-tilts. Though, works better with moves with less lag.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I personally have no problem with tilts. As the term suggest, simply tilt the control stick in the desired direction fairly slowly. Tilt too fast, and you'll end up doing a smash. There are moments where I do a smash attack unintentionally, but those aren't often, and I just roll with it anyway.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Just keep practicing, and don't limit your tilts to just in practice mode. Practice during regular friendlies too.

I REALLY wouldn't recommend trying to limit your tilts to simply buffering after attacks. If that's the only way you can tilt, then you game will be MUCH more limited than if you hadn't practiced that way, especially considering how important most utilts are to most characters. Just try to learn to only tilt the analog stick halfway. It will get easier if you practice it.

I'd also like to ask that everyone trying to do utilts and failing should check whether their analog stick has gone loose or not. A loose analog stick makes things a bit harder, especially since most non-smash GCN games require you to hold Up most of the time. :V

Top Bottom