• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has Nintendo Taken adventage of people

BOSTN

Smash Rookie
I have noticed something in the quality of Nintendos Videos Games in the last few years.
i have noticed that in the past 1 1/2 to 2 years nintendo has been making stupid pointless games with only movement or touch. Nintendo (and 3rd party companies) made usualy good games for the game cube. Yeah the GCN as far as power and features sucked but i loved it cause it had good quality games. and it had a good balence from E rated games to more mature games. it had pleanty of games to satisfy a real gamer like me. The DS during its first 1-3 years had good games with not just touch(such as Metroid, Mario Kart, SM64DS ect.) but now all they make are Touching games that are just stupid and focased on little kids and girls. same with the Wii. its first year was Amazing. it had good games like. Twilight,excite truck, Metriod. but now just movemunt and stupid easy games with dumb storys. i Hate it. its ratings are almost always E o E10+ cause the stuff that it tring to be funny is just like farting or burbing. i Hate it. Smash Bros Is the one good game out latly. mario kart only lasted me 6 days before i was bored. i didnt even want to earn every thing. and nintendo NEVER tries to make good graphics. I know the Wii could be better than it is. it is just to wimppy right now.

any one else agree
*sorry for spelling errors*

Autydragoon

Smash Journeyman
In a circle with Fez, Hyde, Eric and Kelso
I have noticed that while Microsoft and sony put out games that vary and have great gameplay and story Nintendo has put out less depth. One reason probably is because they are focusing more on family situtations and less on the older consumers. Sony on the other hand is focusing to much on making gameplay feel real that they don't have that many good games either.

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
First off, how can you say Nintendo has been making "stupid pointless games" that only focus on movement, when the Wii has only been released for one year and a half. Anyways... Nintendo is doing the same thing they've been doing for years. What they do best. They focus on their main franchises and making them good. You got your Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Starfox, etc. titles and those games have been instant classics for every system. The list goes on... Pokemon, WarioWare, Kirby... every one of these series produce great games. And there's more! All of the Mario Party (though, the series is getting a bit overdone) games, the sports games, and the racing games, and of course, Smash Bros. are all great. And that's really all I find important. There are loads of crap games that come out on all three consoles, certainly a lot more on Microsoft and Sony than Wii.

Basically the industry is at a nice place right now. Consumers have the ability to choose a console that really meets their needs -- and Nintendo's Wii is a more family-oriented package and there's nothing wrong with that. It's cheap and very accessible to all ages. It's true; I wish I didn't have to buy a Xbox 360 to play Gears of War or Burnout Paradise; or realize I will never play another Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts game. (Lord knows I'm never gonna afford a PS3 for years.) But I knew all of this when I decided to buy the Wii instead. You can't get a game like Smash Bros. or Mario Galaxy anywhere else. I love Nintendo's franchises and no matter "hardcore" Halo 3 is - which it isn't - you can't find a great game series like Mario and the rest of them on an Xbox. Nintendo made waves with their Wiimote technology and if they decide to use that to the fullest, then kudos to them.

*sorry for spelling errors*
If you were really sorry, you'd go back and fix them. That was so hard to read, I had to take a handful of aspirin when I was finished.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I agree, completely. This has been bugging me ever since I realized what a letdown Brawl is. When I searched for the real reason it was so disappointing, I realized that it was because it was made for the casual gamers. The hardcore gamers are just supposed to adjust. Tourney players have to stick with the old game or somehow derive some form of competitiveness from it.

Mario Galaxy was too easy. Look at Mario 64 and Sunshine. Those were difficult games. They took skills, hard work...Galaxy can probably be run through in one day easily without effort. Plus the whole planetary concept just made it annoying, since the way the camera works in situations like that is just obnoxious. I've never liked it when games do that. People praise Galaxy, and I have no clue why; the only reason I can think of that people are praising it so much is for graphics, which people should know should not play a huge role in whether or not they play a game. Graphics don't make the game.

Pokemon is going downhill as well. They're adding a million and one legendaries because little kids enjoy that, they're adding on Pokemon relentlessly, not focusing on actually changing the series...because they add something like the Poketch which has touch screen capabilities, and that should be good enough.

Metroid seems to be the only franchise (thus far; just wait) not screwed up by this new way of thinking. Even Zelda was messed up. Phantom Hourglass was fun, it was a lot of fun, but Zelda games used to be challenging. Phantom Hourglass was easy. Plus, the fact that Bombchus are actually usable just...causes an apocalypse in the Zelda universe. :laugh:
Even so, Metroid will never be as good as it used to be, because we have to have 3D. Super Metroid is almost definitely the best Metroid game, and quite possibly at least in the top 5 best video games of all time. Granted, Prime doesn't trail far behind, but 2D Metroid games are really awesome, and they're probably not coming back because even handhelds can handle good looking 3D now.

Now we're getting Wii Fit, Brain Age, Flash Focus...infinite games in that sort of category aimed towards casual gamers, and we're just supposed to settle for what they like. Don't forget music games, which are only getting more stupid. If you want to play guitar, learn real guitar, don't play Guitar Hero. What really irked me was what the Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Power said in the most recent issue. I'll quote it;

Chris Slate said:
I regularly get letters from a very vocal minority who only want to see games made for die-hard fans, who see the widening appeal of crossover titles like Wii Sports and Guitar Hero as some kind of threat. I say, as long as the games are fun, the more the merrier.
We're not "threatened" by those games; it's the lack of any real titles. We don't want to see only "games made for die-hard fans"; we want SOME games for die-hard fans. "The more the merrier"? Yes, for Nintendo, because they make a @%&#load of money off of all the new gamers. Forget the people who've been buying their games for decades now, if they can get more money, we're not important to them. I know it makes sense, technically, but what happens when the Wii dies down? What happens next gen when every console has motion sensor? Then they'll have lost their die-hard fans for this kind of bull and they'll have no one left. And I'll laugh. I'll laugh.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Its called selling to casual gamers and i think Smash bros + Mario Kart Wii r pretty hardcore.
It's too bad that the Wii aren't targeted towards the "hardcore" gamer group unlike the PS3 and 360. This is why the Wii has sold the most right now because the casual gamer group is much larger. They're appealing to a larger audience.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
It's too bad that the Wii aren't targeted towards the "hardcore" gamer group unlike the PS3 and 360. This is why the Wii has sold the most right now because the casual gamer group is much larger. They're appealing to a larger audience.
Yeah. The sad part is that it truly makes sense for them (until the day the casual gamer audience gets bored with video games) to do things as they are, so there's no way they'll change. I still find it incredibly offensive that there are people who have been supporting them since the NES, and all of a sudden they can get more money, so they throw them away. It doesn't seem to mean a thing that there are gamers that have been dedicated fans for years that they're offending and basically telling to take a long walk off a short cliff because there aren't enough of them.

If video game systems weren't so expensive and PS3 and 360 had some more games that I like, I'd buy one of them in a heartbeat. I'm really sick to death of Nintendo right now.

But I suppose I still have retro games to play...which is the only reason I can't completely kill Nintendo.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Actually I thought there recent games where a step up, the Gamecube was a decline. However, Nintendo is becoming too childish with its games kind of like Star Wars did. The Old Star Wars where very family friendly but George Lucas thought that wasn't enough and put all these childish characters and creatures in his newer star wars and the stupid pod-racing garbage and ruined the newer ones. Nintendo does the same thing, Mario wasn't as childish looking in the past as he is getting now.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Actually I thought there recent games where a step up, the Gamecube was a decline. However, Nintendo is becoming too childish with its games kind of like Star Wars did. The Old Star Wars where very family friendly but George Lucas thought that wasn't enough and put all these childish characters and creatures in his newer star wars and the stupid pod-racing garbage and ruined the newer ones. Nintendo does the same thing, Mario wasn't as childish looking in the past as he is getting now.
You thought the Gamecube was a decline? Why? Nintendo actually came up with good ideas for the games back then, rather than saying "Yay, new motion sensor/touch screen technology in the game! No need to add anything else!" Well, okay, that's an exaggeration...they have added new things, but the focal point of every game coming out on the Wii for the first time (as in either a franchise appearing for the first time or just a random game appearing for the first time) is the things that the system itself has. We bought the system with the assumption that you would use Motion Sensor/Touch Screen control, yes...but what else does the game have? For most games, not much else.

I wouldn't say it's childish...well, save for Pokemon. They're gearing Pokemon at little kids who think that big, powerful legendary Pokemon are just the coolest thing ever. But the other games, they aren't so much childish as they are casual-gamer oriented...which, to us gamers, is childish, to an extent. They make everything easy and not video-game-like at all, because casual gamers aren't used to actual games. So Nintendo added that in so they would buy the games. But that doesn't appeal to us at all.

I mean, I'm no psychologist or anything...but I'm pretty sure that's why we're thinking they're childish.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Nintendo has chronic money whoring disease.

We'll get one good game per franchise per generation (Excluding Kirby, as we usually get quite a few of those and they're always pretty good) and then plenty of Mario spin-offs.

Regardless, the ones that aren't spin-offs are absolutely amazing. They're always a blast to play.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
They may be a blast but that dosent change that there to easy. You finish the game, possibly replay it once in a while, then you craze a new game because they wernt what you fully expected. Then you buy another and its the same. This is Nintendo's Money cycle. It wasnt like this at the begining because nintendo wanted to set there roots as a video game company. They have got money, and they want more. So they plot to find away to attract even more people as they no the 'die-hards' will come no matter what now that they have hipnotized them. This may seem a little creepy, but who knows if this is nintendos real plans:chuckle:

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
They may be a blast but that dosent change that there to easy. You finish the game, possibly replay it once in a while, then you craze a new game because they wernt what you fully expected. Then you buy another and its the same. This is Nintendo's Money cycle. It wasnt like this at the begining because nintendo wanted to set there roots as a video game company. They have got money, and they want more. So they plot to find away to attract even more people as they no the 'die-hards' will come no matter what now that they have hipnotized them. This may seem a little creepy, but who knows if this is nintendos real plans:chuckle:
In the most creepy and bizarre way...you're right.

That's exactly what they're doing; the die-hard fans are basically brainwashed, and they figure that those who actually realize what they're doing will be a "minority" (as Chris Slate said) and it won't be enough to matter. Some may not mind. They've cemented themselves as a good game company, and now they're appealing to everyone else.

The more I think about what Nintendo's doing, the more I want to sell all of my Nintendo systems and never buy anything from Nintendo again. If video games weren't basically my only hobby, and if Xbox and Playstation didn't have a pretty sucky selection of games, I would...:ohwell:

TheGlitchMaster

Smash Lord
all i have to say is that Nintendo would make TWICE the money if they made two systems, one for casual, one for hardcore. and if a casual game is good enough, they'd port it to the hardcore one and vice versa.

Ganon007

Smash Cadet
There are loads of crap games that come out on all three consoles, certainly a lot more on Microsoft and Sony than Wii.
I believe you are wrong on this good sir. A recent article in Game Informer (issue 182 Pg. 19) states differently. They have compiled all the reviews from all the games out for all the systems (via Metacritic.com) and have found that there are more crappy games on the Wii than the other two combined. The Wii has made 182 games and out of all of those 79%(!) of those have been scored in the 60 percentile of worse. WOW. The other consoles have around 40-50% of their games rated that low.
Moral of the story? Research before you say anything that can make you look uninformed.

Also: Spell check your posts, it's not hard. And read your posts twice to make sure you don't look dumb mm'kay?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
The Wii is chock full of crappy games. I mean, don't get me wrong. Nintendo has the ability to make good games and they prove this time after time (mind you, I never said that some of the Mario Spin-offs were bad. Some of them are actually quite fun).

However, I think they need to start up a new franchise. One that appeals to hardcore gamers.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I certainly hope that Nintendo doesn't end up hurting themselves by trying to be such money whores like Sega did. (though it might actually convince me to move on and get an XBox360.)

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Keep in mind the "good games" you enjoyed on older consoles were games that had already had their difficulty levels greatly reduced in order to attract business.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I believe you are wrong on this good sir. A recent article in GameInformer (issue 182 Pg. 19) states diffrently. They have compiled all the the reviews from all the games out for all the systems (via Metacritic.com) and have found that there are more crappy games on the Wii than the other two combined. The Wii has made 182 games and out of all of those 79%(!) of those have been scored in the 60 percentile of worse. WOW. The other consoles have around 40-50% of their games rated that low.
Moral of the story? Research before you say anything that can make you look uninformed.

Also: EVERYBODY should spell check their long posts. And then read it twice so you don't look like a ignorant 10 year old mm'kay?
I agree. I am not a fan of the games for PS3 and Xbox, but there are more games for them liked by more people than those for the Wii, almost definitely because they fill them up with Disney and other movie-based games, which are almost NEVER good. I even would have to say that, despite what Nintendo Power says, I would not give any game for the Wii thus far a 10. I'd give Metroid Prime 3 a 9.5 (for too much Phazon stuff and a lack of some powerups like the Power Bomb and any sort of extra suit except for the ugly PED suit, along with some other things) and that would be the best rating I'd give anything for the Wii.

I am a little offended by your second comment, though; there are many people (all over the Internet, in fact) with awful spelling/grammar, that really need to learn to write...but I find it a little offensive that you said that "EVERYBODY" looks like an "ignorant 10 year old", indirectly, especially since you made a couple of mistakes yourself.

Ganon007

Smash Cadet
I am a little offended by your second comment, though; there are many people (all over the Internet, in fact) with awful spelling/grammar, that really need to learn to write...but I find it a little offensive that you said that "EVERYBODY" looks like an "ignorant 10 year old", indirectly, especially since you made a couple of mistakes yourself.
I guess i should of read that thrice xD I'll fix it. BTW my browser auto-spell checks for me so I point all blame to that! xD

leechaolan

Smash Lord
I still believe the next gen prices for controllers are ridiculous. Not just the Wii, but the PS3 and 360 contoller. I know they're impressive, but come one, they're not even games.

Only thing I'll give Nintendo credit for, is Bundling one with Wii Play. That at least Justifies it a little...maybe.

orintemple

Smash Lord
The Wii went from being a gimmick( before release) to not being a gimmick( the beginning) to being a gimmick again(now, with a few exceptions here and there). That is just how things are. Nintendo(and really game companies in general) cater to stupid people. They use people's stupidity to get them to waste money on stuff.

As for taking advantage of people, lol corporation says what?

Seriously, what did you expect from a company...?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
As for taking advantage of people, lol corporation says what?

Seriously, what did you expect from a company...?
I guess we expected more than we should've; but Nintendo has a past of good, solid games, for good, solid consoles, and then they're talking about how the Gamecube was bad because it had no innovation and the Wii and DS are awesome because they have nothing but...
Nintendo Power said something pretty similar to that, once, actually; here, I'll quote it;

Chris Slate (Jeez said:
Change is Good​
The huge success of Wii and Nintendo DS has made me realize how important change is to Nintendo gaming. From the first control pad on the NES to the invention of the modern 3-D action game with Super Mario 64 to today's touch screen and motion controls, fans have had the most to cheer about when Nintendo has tried something new.
Of course, players haven't always embraced change. When you're already happy with how a beloved series plays, the idea of altering it can be scary. Why fix it if it ain't broke, right? But as we once again discovered with Mario Kart Wii's new Wii Wheel this month, Nintendo's new ideas succeed way more often than they fail. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Gamecube, Nintendo's least successful console, was also its least innovative--it was essentially an N64 with better graphics.
One of the reasons why I'm such a big fan of Nintendo is that it's the only company that can still give me the magical spark, the feeling of newness, that I got when I first fell in love with games. Here's hoping that Nintendo will continue to challenge themselves, and us, with brand-new experiences.
The Gamecube may have been the "least innovative" in their sense, but at least its games were actually good. The GAMES were innovative, not the console. And Gamecube was unsuccessful because everyone but Nintendo fans had it in their mind that it was for 4 year-olds. Plus, my family actually enjoyed Animal Crossing more than the Wii...they've played it all of once, maybe, and not enjoyed it very much. Nintendo will probably royally screw over Animal Crossing Wii as well. FIND YOUR TOWN-FIXING-UP AGE!

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
I've thinking about this topic to myself and talking to my friends about it lately. And I think it was the new Guitar Hero 4 information that has really swayed my views about this. While I still agree that the Wii is doing well since they've really handled this "casual gaming" thing really well, the system really just isn't enough for me as a gamer. I do think the system has a great group of people that it can market towards, but as I think about the Guitar Hero 4 release, I know I'll have an extremely worse experience with the Wii than if I were to play it on 360, so I'm buying a 360 before the end of the year.

I still do attest that the big titles produced by Nintendo are amazing. All of the big franchises have been the basis more tons of great games for years and years. Take the Mario series: Super Mario Bros. is a classic, Super Mario World is my favorite game ever, Super Mario 64 blew people away, and Super Mario Galaxy was so amazing. And there were plenty of other games in that series that were quality as well. And that goes for many other Nintendo standards like Metroid and Zelda. And I think Nintendo deserves credit for that, as nobody else has had that kind of last power to take games from the beginning of mainstream console gaming, knocking out hit over hit, and still making good games today.

So, I really don't think it's fair to kick Nintendo under the bus because they have a different mindset about where they want to take their brand of gaming. They've obviously done well and they still will. Though, for most gamers, the Wii just isn't enough. Graphically, it couldn't come close to handling a game like GTA4 and the online support just isn't where it should be. And, if it wasn't for Smash Bros. Brawl, I might've bought an Xbox last Christmas instead of the Wii. That's just how to industry is right now; you have to buy every console (including a gaming PC) if you want a well-rounded, decent gaming experience. The N Team is doing a good job. Even if those Halo fanboys don't want to admit it, they really are missing out on some of the best games ever made that are only available on the Wii. And I'm glad to have the opprotunity to experience those titles.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I've thinking about this topic to myself and talking to my friends about it lately. And I think it was the new Guitar Hero 4 information that has really swayed my views about this. While I still agree that the Wii is doing well since they've really handled this "casual gaming" thing really well, the system really just isn't enough for me as a gamer. I do think the system has a great group of people that it can market towards, but as I think about the Guitar Hero 4 release, I know I'll have an extremely worse experience with the Wii than if I were to play it on 360, so I'm buying a 360 before the end of the year.

I still do attest that the big titles produced by Nintendo are amazing. All of the big franchises have been the basis more tons of great games for years and years. Take the Mario series: Super Mario Bros. is a classic, Super Mario World is my favorite game ever, Super Mario 64 blew people away, and Super Mario Galaxy was so amazing. And there were plenty of other games in that series that were quality as well. And that goes for many other Nintendo standards like Metroid and Zelda. And I think Nintendo deserves credit for that, as nobody else has had that kind of last power to take games from the beginning of mainstream console gaming, knocking out hit over hit, and still making good games today.

So, I really don't think it's fair to kick Nintendo under the bus because they have a different mindset about where they want to take their brand of gaming. They've obviously done well and they still will. Though, for most gamers, the Wii just isn't enough. Graphically, it couldn't come close to handling a game like GTA4 and the online support just isn't where it should be. And, if it wasn't for Smash Bros. Brawl, I might've bought an Xbox last Christmas instead of the Wii. That's just how to industry is right now; you have to buy every console (including a gaming PC) if you want a well-rounded, decent gaming experience. The N Team is doing a good job. Even if those Halo fanboys don't want to admit it, they really are missing out on some of the best games ever made that are only available on the Wii. And I'm glad to have the opprotunity to experience those titles.
My position on the new Nintendo isn't based so much on what the other systems can handle (Graphics are not a deciding factor in games, they're a nice touch but I don't pay for them, though I admit online is less than lackluster), it's what Nintendo used to be. I wouldn't base it on other systems, really, because I wouldn't buy either of them for more than one reason.

I agree that some of Nintendo's big franchise titles have been great...but I don't think any of them thus far have really been as good as past ones. Metroid Prime 3 was the best, in my opinion, and even that didn't stand up to the first Prime, or Super Metroid, or Fusion, in my book. Great game, but it's not like it's amazing.
Galaxy was...very meh in my opinion. It was too easy, and it had this feel about it like...like it wasn't Mario. When I first got the game and was playing the first level, a friend of mine was confused by the music. Listening to it, it sounds a little like Disney music. I just...it was a fun game, the graphics were amazing (once again, not a huge deal for me, just a plus), but it's lacking. 64 was best, Sunshine is second in my book, and Galaxy is last, in terms of 3D Marios.
Twilight Princess goes along with Prime 3 (although I don't think it was quite as good). Good game, but it didn't stand up to the previous games.
Yes, it's great that Nintendo can keep going, and make games better than the other companies can, but I'm not going to say "Good enough" and not ask for anything better because they've been going at it for a while.

No, we shouldn't "kick them under the bus"...but they haven't just changed their mindset, it's their philosophy, which now is basically "Obtain as much money as possible, at all costs". Nintendo has basically kicked gamers under the bus, and we're supposed to crawl back out for them, when they just keep kicking us back under. We're supposed to compromise so they can make more money, and I really, truly, resent that. The worst part is, they seem to think that they're doing us a favor somehow, and that they're improving incredibly. Guess what, Nintendo; you're not.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Nintendo hasn't taken advantage of anyone. People need to do their homework before shelling out ca$h for a system and any of its games. Seriously, how could Nintendo take advantage of people when they made it very clear before the Wii launch that their focus would not be on graphics, but on providing an engrossing interactive experience that could appeal to casual gamers? Motion sensing was the best they could come up with to do this and guess what? It worked!

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Nintendo hasn't taken advantage of anyone. People need to do their homework before shelling out ca$h for a system and any of its games. Seriously, how could Nintendo take advantage of people when they made it very clear before the Wii launch that their focus would not be on graphics, but on providing an engrossing interactive experience that could appeal to casual gamers? Motion sensing was the best they could come up with to do this and guess what? It worked!
No one's talking about graphics...well, some are, but at least I'm not.

I'm talking about the quality of the games, and the number of games whose whole purpose is "Yay motion sensor!"
Nintendo said it would appeal to the casual gamers, not be aimed only at casual gamers. No one here has been burned by the Wii because they bought blindly. They've been burned by the direction Nintendo has taken it in unexpectedly.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
In the process, however, they've completely dumped hardcore gamers. Don't get me wrong -- I expected that to happen -- but not to this extent. The only games that do appeal to hardcore gamers are Nintendo's core franchises.

But hopefully Nintendo Power makes good of their promise to announce an amazing new game or something?!

And yeah. Firus has a good point as well.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I just wish they would stop noob-ifying all the hardcore franchises if they want to make brain games or whatever fine but when it comes to Mario or Zelda i would like it to not be so simplified a great example is Mario Kart i agree snaking should definitely be out as it was kinda "cheap" but the rest? no individual items? all the cars are pretty much the same? all the items make for insane comebacks? come on! (on a side note they really seem to be scrapping the bottom of the barrel for Mario characters baby daisy? dry bowser? WTF?!) not to mention the crap online on smash bros the lack of voice chat and they STILL haven't released a hard-drive come on Nintendo this stuff is basic in 2008!

M.K

Level 55
Pokemon is going downhill as well. They're adding a million and one legendaries because little kids enjoy that, they're adding on Pokemon relentlessly, not focusing on actually changing the series...because they add something like the Poketch which has touch screen capabilities, and that should be good enough.
This. Is. So. Wrong.
Not only is Pokemon one of the most successful franchises Nintendo has ever had the privelege of making, but it's formula NEVER gets stale BECAUSE they add more depth. There may be a lot of legendaries, but there are several times that regular pokemon.
The Poketch was a wonderfully useful feature, I'm sorry you never liked it. That was NOT all they added. How about a totally new region, more pokemon (obviously), super contests, Pal park, wi-fi capibility, GTS, male/female differences, the ability to catch all 493 pokemon in D/P, countless side excursions, partners throughout the game, wild baby pokemon, mansion pokemon, swarms, different types of pokeballs, resort/battle/survival area, new evil team, lots of legendaries, the Pokeradar, chaining for shinies, mini-games, Poffin maker, Amoria Square, dressing-up your pokemon, expanded TV programming, and much more that I can't even remember!

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
But then again the gameplay is still stale and there are little to no battle animations and for a system with games like FF3 and Ninja Gaiden that is inexcusable

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I see where you're coming from, because a lot of people are dissatisfied with the new approach that Nintendo has taken when it comes to their industry. They want to appeal to the non-gamer demographic in an business that has been known to have a fairly specific target audience in the past; they've sacrificed the intense side of gaming to try to sell more, which is polar to what the other big names have done. Instead of grasping 100% of their target audience, they're expanding the audience. I don't think they're taking advantage of their fans, but they are definitely losing some of them.

On the subject of pokemon, I've been an avid fan of the series and I approve of the developments and changes they've been making. But if the common Nintendo trend of "dumbing it down" that we've seen in competitive Smash and Mario Kart works its way into competitive Pokemon (removing IV levels & EV levels aka competitive breeding and training, the multi type system of pokemon AND moves, shiny pokemon, etc.), then I'll be very disappointed. But for now, I'm very happy.

If you were really sorry, you'd go back and fix them. That was so hard to read, I had to take a handful of aspirin when I was finished.
I don't care if you disagreed with what the thread creator had to say about nintendo, thats fine. But you come off as completely ridiculous when you don't recognize that people of all ages and nationalities use the internet and that you can't hold everyone to the same standards of literacy or spelling as you would in an English class. I was able to read and understand the OP perfectly, and I wouldn't question his spelling when its off topic, especially when he actually apologized for it.

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
I don't care if you disagreed with what the thread creator had to say about nintendo, thats fine. But you come off as completely ridiculous when you don't recognize that people of all ages and nationalities use the internet and that you can't hold everyone to the same standards of literacy or spelling as you would in an English class. I was able to read and understand the OP perfectly, and I wouldn't question his spelling when its off topic, especially when he actually apologized for it.
*shrugs* My comment had nothing to do with his opinion on Nintendo. I have a pet peeve about an overabundance of bad spelling and grammar. In my opinion, there's too much of it on the internet and it annoys me. Sue me. I only mentioned it was because if someone actually takes the time to apologize about it, why doesn't he just fix the mistakes? I mean, the forum even comes with an automatic spell-checker. If he has some learning disability or is an ESL student, then my bad. I take it all back. I'll bake you a cake. But, more often than not, people are just to don't-give-a-crap to actually make real words. The only thing I'd apologize for is the fact that it was (and this response is) very off-topic. But, you calling me out about it is pretty much the same thing.

To not off-topicize this whole post, @FirusTheHedgehog -- when I bring up graphics, I'm just saying that I would imagine that the Wii just isn't powerful enough to handle the bigger, more expansive games like GTA4 or games like Gears of War would have to be so muddled down to be able to play on the Wii, and I have a problem with that. And I don't think Nintendo's is just about "obtaining as much money as possible, at all costs." Of course, they want money. They're a big corporation and everybody wants as much money as they can make. It just makes sense. But, I still have a feeling that the developers are pretty proud of what they've created. They've really changed the way games are played and who's playing them, and that's a good thing for the most part. I just wish it wasn't so completely geared towards the casual gaming market.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I payed $250 to play Wii Sports, Strikers Charged, Super Paper Mario, Twilight Princess (w/ the wiimote of course, love it so much more than GCN), Metroid Prime 3, Smash Bros Brawl, and Mario Galaxy. I would say it's been worth it so far. I could give a **** about the huge number of crap games, because there's no way in hell I'd buy all the games greater than 6.0 on any console.I have a bunch of games that I loved. Go me.

This is where you sound silly. Being of another nationality actually doesn't result in many spelling mistakes. Go read something by some from another country. Everything will be spelled perfectly, often because they are checking a dictionary. THe grammar, however is generally very bad. In this case his grammar was fine, but his punctuation, capitalization, and spelling were all attrocious. Which makes him drunk or lazy, and not foreign.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
This. Is. So. Wrong.
Not only is Pokemon one of the most successful franchises Nintendo has ever had the privelege of making, but it's formula NEVER gets stale BECAUSE they add more depth. There may be a lot of legendaries, but there are several times that regular pokemon.
The Poketch was a wonderfully useful feature, I'm sorry you never liked it. That was NOT all they added. How about a totally new region, more pokemon (obviously), super contests, Pal park, wi-fi capibility, GTS, male/female differences, the ability to catch all 493 pokemon in D/P, countless side excursions, partners throughout the game, wild baby pokemon, mansion pokemon, swarms, different types of pokeballs, resort/battle/survival area, new evil team, lots of legendaries, the Pokeradar, chaining for shinies, mini-games, Poffin maker, Amoria Square, dressing-up your pokemon, expanded TV programming, and much more that I can't even remember!
Good job, assuming that just because I'm saying Pokemon is going downhill it means I don't like ANY of the new features...

Yes, they've added lots and lots of extra stuff. But they have done NOTHING to the actual battle system, the same system that we've had since Red/Blue. Go to the Poke Center forums, a lot of people agree with me on this one. Epecially Spire III; he has some really great ideas to change the game so that it'll stop being the same thing with more (badly chosen, millions of waters and how many fires?) Pokemon, 2x as many legendaries, and nothing new to battling, really. It's still a great franchise, but it's going downhill, because they're not changing it enough, trying to fix it up for little kids.

*shrugs* My comment had nothing to do with his opinion on Nintendo. I have a pet peeve about an overabundance of bad spelling and grammar. In my opinion, there's too much of it on the internet and it annoys me. Sue me. I only mentioned it was because if someone actually takes the time to apologize about it, why doesn't he just fix the mistakes? I mean, the forum even comes with an automatic spell-checker. If he has some learning disability or is an ESL student, then my bad. I take it all back. I'll bake you a cake. But, more often than not, people are just to don't-give-a-crap to actually make real words. The only thing I'd apologize for is the fact that it was (and this response is) very off-topic. But, you calling me out about it is pretty much the same thing.
Yeah, I sort of agree with this...although the fact that he at least apologized is worth a little more than usual. Usually you correct someone and they respond with "This is the internet, no one cares." I want to hit them in the face when they say that.

To not off-topicize this whole post, @FirusTheHedgehog -- when I bring up graphics, I'm just saying that I would imagine that the Wii just isn't powerful enough to handle the bigger, more expansive games like GTA4 or games like Gears of War would have to be so muddled down to be able to play on the Wii, and I have a problem with that. And I don't think Nintendo's is just about "obtaining as much money as possible, at all costs." Of course, they want money. They're a big corporation and everybody wants as much money as they can make. It just makes sense. But, I still have a feeling that the developers are pretty proud of what they've created. They've really changed the way games are played and who's playing them, and that's a good thing for the most part. I just wish it wasn't so completely geared towards the casual gaming market.
Well yes, it is a problem that they would have to be dumbed down to be played on the Wii. I still don't really care, probably because the examples you gave are both games I'd be perfectly fine with not touching the Wii at all. But yeah, it is a problem.

The developers are probably proud of what they've created, but they're still willing to alienate the audience they've had for years so they can make money. I'd call that obtaining money at all costs.

Nintendo's whole attitude is different now, and it really irks me. They've changed just about everything about them--they shut down the NSider forums so they could work on their website. Heck, their explanation basically said, "Because our systems are so popular, you can't have the forums anymore!" Nintendo Power changed styles...which would be okay, if they hadn't also stopped publishing the magazine themselves and left it up to Prima to make Strategy Guides (who by the way, is incompetent; for every holiday event in the Animal Crossing guide, it says that the person will "give you an item if you've kept your town nice all year round"...and that's just the beginning). Chris Slate is now answering all letters sent to Nintendo Power, and he's just...he's trying to be funny, I think, but he's not. When they replied to the letters before, there was some kind of joking meanness to it--but Chris Slate just is not funny with it, and it just comes off as mean.

I just completely resent the road Nintendo's taking now.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
when I bring up graphics, I'm just saying that I would imagine that the Wii just isn't powerful enough to handle the bigger, more expansive games like GTA4 or games like Gears of War would have to be so muddled down to be able to play on the Wii, and I have a problem with that. And I don't think Nintendo's is just about "obtaining as much money as possible, at all costs." Of course, they want money. They're a big corporation and everybody wants as much money as they can make. It just makes sense. But, I still have a feeling that the developers are pretty proud of what they've created. They've really changed the way games are played and who's playing them, and that's a good thing for the most part. I just wish it wasn't so completely geared towards the casual gaming market.
Quoted for truth.

@Firus

I don't think Nintendo is doing EVERYTHING bad right now. Metroid Prime 3 was still kept aiming towards hardcore gamers, and maybe that's a sign that Nintendo isn't completely going to dump us yet (and hopefully they'll just hurry up and make an 'M' rated game. They could actually make a story worth our while for once).

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I know your comment didn't have anything to do with his opinion on Nintendo, I said you had the right to disagree with him but chastising his spelling is ridiculous. I was separating the two parts of your post to make sure you know which specific comment was addressing.

Also, I'm fairly certain that the automatic spell checker you're talking about comes from Firefox, not the forum. If he uses Opera, Camino, IE... I'm not sure if he gets it. But whatever, you didn't get my point.

This is where you sound silly. Being of another nationality actually doesn't result in many spelling mistakes. Go read something by some from another country. Everything will be spelled perfectly, often because they are checking a dictionary. The grammar, however is generally very bad. In this case his grammar was fine, but his punctuation, capitalization, and spelling were all atrocious. Which makes him drunk or lazy, and not foreign.
Speaking English as a second language results in both spelling errors and mistakes in grammar and syntax, so I was using it as an example. If you didn't notice, I also mentioned age as a reason for the format of his post? But you didn't address that compatible reason, instead picking out the one you thought didn't make sense. Also, I wouldn't be pointing it out if you hadn't said it was good to prove your point, but the OP's grammar isn't as good as you say it is. =) But you didn't get my point either.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
@Firus

I don't think Nintendo is doing EVERYTHING bad right now. Metroid Prime 3 was still kept aiming towards hardcore gamers, and maybe that's a sign that Nintendo isn't completely going to dump us yet (and hopefully they'll just hurry up and make an 'M' rated game. They could actually make a story worth our while for once).
Yeah, I agree with that; as I said previously, MP3 was good, (probably the best on the Wii thus far) but no game has been as good as in the past. MP3 and Twilight Princess were both not as good just by chance.

Metroid is the only series I haven't seen a decline in due to trying to appeal to casual gamers. Granted, we'll probably never see a 2D Metroid again (unfortunately), but other than that, it's not getting screwed with.

Zelda, however...Phantom Hourglass sacrificed a lot of Zelda elements (mainly dungeons that took about a half an hour minimum and actually tough boss fights) for innovative touch screen capabilities. It was fun, but...it was just way too easy. Zelda games are normally at the point where you could almost call it way too hard. Twilight Princess was easier as well, but I think it still maintained the series well.

They're not doing everything wrong, but they've given gamers only a couple of reasons to keep playing their games.

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
I know your comment didn't have anything to do with his opinion on Nintendo, I said you had the right to disagree with him but chastising his spelling is ridiculous. I was separating the two parts of your post to make sure you know which specific comment was addressing.

Also, I'm fairly certain that the automatic spell checker you're talking about comes from Firefox, not the forum. If he uses Opera, Camino, IE... I'm not sure if he gets it. But whatever, you didn't get my point..
Buddy, I understood clearly that the Nintendo thing had nothing to do with this. So you can stop bringing that up. My initial comment wasn't even that big of a deal. I only meant by it was "Hey, just so you're aware, you type like a five year old. It's annoying. Figure it out." You can keep saying all day, "Well, he might be young or he might not speak English well." But, is he? Does he? Because I'll eat my hat if he's not just some kid; just like so many millions of people out there who gets on IMs and internet forums and type like D students because, as Firus said, "It's the internet, 'doesn't matter."

That bugs me and I'm allowed to point that out. I wouldn't even be harping on this so much if it wasn't for you calling me ridiculous and silly. And you know, I have just as much right to call you ridiculous and silly for you complaining about my very, small one line comment. My bad about the spellchecker thing. Either way, it requires such a small effort to spell words correctly and use the shift key properly. If I made some mistake and someone pointed it out, I'd fix it or just say "Eff you" and be on my way. So, yeah, I got your 'point', but this argument is extremely stupid. I've already apologized for being off-topic, so it'd be great for this (very off topic) lil' debate just to be squashed.

Again, in an effort not to be completely off topic...

Good job, assuming that just because I'm saying Pokemon is going downhill it means I don't like ANY of the new features...

Yes, they've added lots and lots of extra stuff. But they have done NOTHING to the actual battle system, the same system that we've had since Red/Blue. Go to the Poke Center forums, a lot of people agree with me on this one. Epecially Spire III; he has some really great ideas to change the game so that it'll stop being the same thing with more (badly chosen, millions of waters and how many fires?) Pokemon, 2x as many legendaries, and nothing new to battling, really. It's still a great franchise, but it's going downhill, because they're not changing it enough, trying to fix it up for little kids.
I don't think it's very fair to say Pokemon is going downhill, either. As you said, they've added a lot of extra things for every generation. I'll have to read Spire's thoughts sometime, but I think each installment achieves enough for it the be considered a quality series. I mean, over the years, they have changed plenty including the battle system. (Team battling, item holding, that personality attribute thing.) You just can't say it's all stayed the same since Red/Blue. When people talk about game series not changing, I can't help but thinking about Halo. That overhyped money machine hasn't changed crap. They've added some weapons, maps, armor permutations, campaign storylines, and maybe a few game modes. And that's the greatest console game ever? Bullcrap. And this goes for so many series, which is kind of okay. You can't change too much about the core of a series or people who freak out and get pissed. (i.e. SSX On Tour, Brawl vs. Melee, etc.)

Top Bottom