• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Halo series - Crimson Map Pack out now!

The real Metal Man

Smash Cadet
OK its a sprital successor but it is basicly a remake. and is the best map on halo 3 so far.

And Motsalogel you should try halo 1 & 2 if you can but I suggest the frist one to be played First. then you will see the true meaning of a Assultrifle lol.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
OK its a sprital successor but it is basicly a remake. and is the best map on halo 3 so far.

And Motsalogel you should try halo 1 & 2 if you can but I suggest the frist one to be play First. then you will see the true meaning of a Assultrifle lol.
You should also learn to spell words correctly and make proper sentences.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
A remake is: Zanzibar - Last resort, (In that they are almost exactly the same).

A spiritual successor is like is: Zanzibar - High ground, (In that they have similar themes, like beach to base).

Used to exact same example as Cashed because well... its the best example.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
No. It's not basically a remake. It's a spiritual successor, that's it.
Hey Cashed, I can has recon helmet avatar? ploix

I got a kill with a kown, but 1 4g0t 2 saev 1t: (

You know, eventhough I didn't agree with paying the 10 bucks for the earlier maps, JUST the Sindewinder remix looks worth 8$. Fans have been asking for it since Halo 2.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I'm seriously excited to play Avalanche, it looks like an actual Halo map to me. So many of Halo 3's maps just don't feel like Halo maps. Construct being a prime example. When I think Halo, I think Blood Gulch, Sidewinder, Hang 'Em High, etc. I don't think gravity lifts that take you up 20 stories and battles in tight corridors. Avalanche looks to please me. Some levels, like the Pit, don't feel like Halo levels but do end up playing well, though what if you could see base to base on the Pit? I think they'd have a Halo 3-esque Hang 'Em High if that would've been the case.

But yeah, I'm so excited for Avalanche that I'm not even going to question the $10 anymore. It's ****ing Sidewinder revised. Sidewinder 2.0, if you will.

Zero Beat, you now has recon. I even tracked down a picture that also included a sniper rifle, to fit your custom title.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
Woh. I was skill level 21 on lone wolves and just went up to 30 and became a major in the last hour and a half.

Also IMO, if you like forge at all then foundry is a must, I mean some of the things people make (Look on my youtube account (Legolastom) and look on my favorites, there is a video of an amazing foundry map) are just spectacular, only problem is finding enough people for a custom game.

Also, look at my roxzorz picture: http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs28/f/2008/080/b/d/Legolastom__SwordsMan_by_legolastom.jpg

And another thing, whats up with the maps? The only Covenant map in the game so far is Snowbound, and I am not even sure if it is Covenant. Good thing the Legendary map pack seems to have some variety in it.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
I'm seriously excited to play Avalanche, it looks like an actual Halo map to me. So many of Halo 3's maps just don't feel like Halo maps. Construct being a prime example. When I think Halo, I think Blood Gulch, Sidewinder, Hang 'Em High, etc. I don't think gravity lifts that take you up 20 stories and battles in tight corridors. Avalanche looks to please me. Some levels, like the Pit, don't feel like Halo levels but do end up playing well, though what if you could see base to base on the Pit? I think they'd have a Halo 3-esque Hang 'Em High if that would've been the case.

But yeah, I'm so excited for Avalanche that I'm not even going to question the $10 anymore. It's ****ing Sidewinder revised. Sidewinder 2.0, if you will.

Zero Beat, you now has recon. I even tracked down a picture that also included a sniper rifle, to fit your custom title.
Dude, this is freaking hilarious. One of the wittiest/surprising things I've ever seen. I didn't expect you'd actually find a recon picture and put it lol. I go to smashboards.com and first thing I see is the Recon helmet LOL. This is epic. I must be the best FPS, bung13 g4v3 m3 rec0n arm3r. Ohm-gah.(Refrence to when he gets the lucky head shot with the sniper and makes a montage)

Yeah I agree. Honestly, I love Vahalla but nothing will ever replace Blood Gultch/Coagulation. It has the best 'rush to the middle to keep the vehicles in check' ever.Well, while the lock on for the rocket 'lawn chair' lasted. Spartan Laser at Vahalla is similar but does not compare. We'll see how well they work on the spawns for Avalanche. Weapon placement will be a very huge factor.

Thanks, now I will go to matchmaking and stand infront of everyone so they can see i has r3c0n.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
The lock-on for the rockets was one of my complaints in Halo 2. It just seemed so ****ed stupid to have a fire-and-forget rocket launcher in a game that is so much about vehicular combat (on the large levels, at least). But here's where I now regret complaining about that, you had to get pretty close to the guy with rockets to be able to be locked onto. In Halo 3, the Spartan Laser, that thing is a threat from ANYWHERE on the map. If the guy with that thing can see you... you can die, and you likely will. I'd honestly rather have a lock-on rocket launcher in the game that you have to be close to to be locked onto, not some gun that is pretty much a sniper rifle that shoots a big ****ing red laser that destroys anything in its path.

Of course... I say that now... or whenever I'm on the receiving end, but holy god does it feel good to be the guy with the laser when you nail the Warthog that's been killing your teammates as they continue to jump off the man cannon.

Remember back to Coagulation though. Your team would usually take the Warthog across the map to go try to get the flag. Or heck, you'd just have your Warthog circling the enemy base for Slayer laughing your *** off and their team continued to spawn outside of their base on the edge of the level, only to immediately be killed. If you didn't have your vehicles, you'd take the teleporters, use the caves/rocks and slowly make your way across the map and do your business when you got to the enemy base. In Valhalla, the mancannons allow everyone to constantly be pouring into the center. So what does everybody do? They take the mancannon and the entire match is a battle for the hill in the middle, mostly so your team can grab the laser whenever it spawns and destroy the other team's Warthog, Banshee and then practice your precision aim on a few unlucky souls as they see a red beam charge over them. The sides of the map aren't used very often. Scratch that, the bubble shield area of the map isn't used very often. Sure, you'll have a person or two in a match go over there and hop on the turret or try to snipe from over there, but how often is there actual huge battles happening over there? Not very often. It's all in the **** center because of the mancannons. Regardless of this, I still love Valhalla. Like I said before, it's one of the few Halo 3 maps that feels like a Halo map to me.

My only concern for Avalanche is the mancannons. There's at least one at each base, right next to the flag, just like Valhalla. Great, one of the things I hate about CTF on Valhalla is how there are so many suicide attempts at getting the flag and just shooting over the mancannon... though, I suppose it's not different than the suicide runs to the flag on Coagulation and then going through the teleporter only to be killed... Anyways! From the looks of things, it looks like the mancannons on Avalanche won't take you to the middle of the map, to the "elbow" as I refer to it, as Avalanche is a U shape, or maybe more of a V. That would be a good thing, as it'd mean more walking, so you'd want to be more careful about taking the mancannon in game types like CTF and you wouldn't be able to instantly get back into the action like you can on Valhalla.

And what's up with all the what would appear to be mancannons in that one picture of Avalanche? I seriously want to know the purpose of those.

This post is long and I'm not going to proof read it. Sorry for any misunderstandings. :D

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Yeah I agree, it's annoying getting sniped by the freaking Spartan Laser. Especially when you're on a roll with the banshee.

At least you could DODGE the rocket if you were aware that it was being fired at you. Here, it just does not matter. You can no-scope Banshees with the Spartan Laser due to its robust hitbox connection. It's amazing. You DON'T have to hit the target. 'The all purpose weapon.'

Yeah I remember what you're talking about in Coag. Good old times. I'd usually take sniper, go teleporter, snipe the ghost that would rush rockets, and my team would get rockets. Man, I miss those times. The redundancy of Vahalla's rush for middle control is annoying. Funny, you DON'T want to control the middle in Coag, you want to push via its sides and to the perimeter of the enemy base(with the warthog doing circles, Halo CE style).

I remember I drove my friend in Halo PC in our Accounting class when the teacher was gone, he finished 64 and 0. The whole class was playing (Via LAN), since our Accounting teacher is also the computer teacher. A computer at every seat. Good times. That ***** should be absent more often.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Speaking of the Ghost, I really wonder why they ditched the whole power cell being a weak point. It was SO confusing when you were driving a Ghost in Halo 2 only to have it blow up underneath you and suddenly be walking, usually getting a sniper bullet in the head a good second afterwards.

Alt, you do need to play Halo soon. This weekend would be great, as there's a Team SWAT Double EXP playlist. You get 2 EXP for winning... and it's SWAT! SWAT is no shields with some damage resistance if you've never played it before. Battle Rifle and Magnum starts. Apparently grenades are part of SWAT in Halo 3, though.. I haven't played the playlist yet, so I'm a bit concerned about that.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Speaking of the Ghost, I really wonder why they ditched the whole power cell being a weak point. It was SO confusing when you were driving a Ghost in Halo 2 only to have it blow up underneath you and suddenly be walking, usually getting a sniper bullet in the head a good second afterwards.

Alt, you do need to play Halo soon. This weekend would be great, as there's a Team SWAT Double EXP playlist. You get 2 EXP for winning... and it's SWAT! SWAT is no shields with some damage resistance if you've never played it before. Battle Rifle and Magnum starts. Apparently grenades are part of SWAT in Halo 3, though.. I haven't played the playlist yet, so I'm a bit concerned about that.
Dude, why haven't you added me?

xZero Beatx! Whatever, give me yours exactly as it is, I'll go to Xbox.com and add you.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
4v4. Epitaph, High Ground, Construct, Guardian, and sometimes The Pit.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
One thing that has been on my mind for a while is... the Flood. How exactly are they finished? Unless I missed something there are still Halos left, and again unless I missed something they all contain Flood (Like in Halo CE and even the map Isolation).

Edit: Also how did you get Recon?

smashman90

Smash Lord
Dang it, I need to play some more Halo 3, been too busy with Brawl and all (hey I made a rhyme, ha ha ha). I can't wait to play Avalanche, it's frickin' beautiful. Can't wait to try out Ghost Town and the other map either, but it's mainly been Avalanche that's been keeping me interested in this new map pack. I might play some tonight and tomorrow.

Btw, good to see you again XZero BeatX. It seems like I haven't seen you in like forever.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Edit: Also how did you get Recon?
I g0t a k0wn k1ll in SSBB. n 1 s3nt a l3tt3r 2 Cashed saying 1 h4d sup3r cans1r.

Btw, good to see you again XZero BeatX. It seems like I haven't seen you in like forever.
Yeah what's up dude. I just decided to head back since Brawl came out, forums seem more interesting now than they were before.

If you got XBL, add me; xZero Beatx.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
4v4. Epitaph, High Ground, Construct, Guardian, and sometimes The Pit.
Holy ****, Epitaph in a team game?! Epitaph is absolutely terrible (I blame the shield doors) in FFA, it'll be interesting to try it out in Teams.

smashman90

Smash Lord
Holy ****, Epitaph in a team game?! Epitaph is absolutely terrible (I blame the shield doors) in FFA, it'll be interesting to try it out in Teams.

I just got done playing a game in Epitaph. It felt strange at first with it being in FFA. Here's a little tip that I learned, never go to the spot where the rockets respawn, a lot of people die when they get there. I kinda hated playing swat magnums, it wasn't as fun without the BR.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
I just got done playing a game in Epitaph. It felt strange at first with it being in FFA. Here's a little tip that I learned, never go to the spot where the rockets respawn, a lot of people die when they get there. I kinda hated playing swat magnums, it wasn't as fun without the BR.
Epitaph no matter how you look at it, is the ****tiest Halo map ever created; or ever 'known da man.'

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
Yeah that platform was weird, people bodies kept falling through and the platform started shaking, most of the time when we played on the level my team just stayed on one end of the long hall way and killed anyone who came out.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Simply stay on its outskirts with a shotgun/ar/plasma rifle/ or BR=carbine with nades. Make good use of the shield doors = Win.

smashman90

Smash Lord
Simply stay on its outskirts with a shotgun/ar/plasma rifle/ or BR=carbine with nades. Make good use of the shield doors = Win.
Words of wisdom from a pro(or at least from somebody that can has recon). . .Sheer brilliance. Has anybody managed to get a killtacular in Swat yet? I would feel lonely if I am the only person who has done that.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
New Bungie update! : http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=13399

"By now you’re probably aware that Avalanche is the second map coming in the Legendary Map pack, available April 15th on Xbox Live Marketplace. Aside from the April 15th date meaning more new maps coming to Halo 3, it also means the Heroic Maps are going to be free as of March 25th at 2 a.m. Pacific. Remember, as of the April playlist update, the Free Heroic Maps will be required in Ranked Big Team, Social Big Team, Team Slayer and Rocket Race playlists. We’re requiring these maps in the following playlists to give players more options with the map rotations and by including a high population playlist like Team Slayer, we hope that the maps will permeate through the Community, resulting in more games played on these maps in Matchmaking."

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
There's also a sexy new screen of Avalanche and they confirm that they'll be officially revealing the 3rd Legendary Map on Tuesday. There's some European magazine cover floating around the interwebs though that shows it is indeed, Lockout.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Holy ****, look how many power weapons Avalanche has!!

Cashed, when do you want to play tomorrow? And who are we going to recruit to play? Since it's a 4v4.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I'll be on probably all day tomorrow. I have nothing to do and it's the freaking weekend. Zero Beat should play with us, and I'll no doubt have a couple friends trying to join that I'll probably have to kick a few out. :p

I'm not worried about the weapon placement on Avalanche, it actually looks a lot better than the other big maps. Notice how the Splasers and Rockets are the exact opposite of Sandtrap? In Avalanche each team gets a Rocket Launcher, while there's a Splaser to fight over. MUCH better than Sandtrap where each team gets the Laser and doesn't care enough to fight over Rockets. I love the lack of close range weapons, too. There's only a single shotty on the map... no maulers, no sword, no hammer! Four bubble shields is hilarious though, and seems like a bit much... Though, back to Sandtrap, it has 3, all right by the Rockets within 10 seconds walking of eachother. But anyways. There's two Rockets and a Splaser because it'll be such a vehicular combat based map. Can't wait. :D

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Did you mean to say Avalanche? Or where did you get the Lockout pics?
My Halo 3 clan got a picture from MLG that had the main lift from Lockout and you could see, through the layers of fog, the stars, just like they(Bugnie) said it would look like.

Edit : Add me to your aim; my screen name is MLS Zero.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Team SWAT went down at midnight. :( Apparently it's an error and Bungie is going to fix it tomorrow. They also say we'll be compensated. Extended through Monday? Very likely.

Top Bottom