• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To Re-Spray Painting your controllers for melee(Updated 4/3/07)

G-Ron

Smash Apprentice
Hydro Kirby said:
A quick question here. Or more like a few questions.

As anyone had the problem with after letting the paint dry, the controller shell sticks to the newspaper, and won't come off? I ended up having to take a knife to separate it from the newspaper, and now I'm having difficulty fitting the 2 sides together.

And when I apply some pressure to the shell, my fingerprints get imprinted on the paint, and they won't disappear. And thoughts why it happened?

Anyways, it looks like I'll have to buy another controller and start anew.

A bit off topic, but would anyone know where to buy an orange controller. Not on ebay or online or anything like that, but at a gaming store like Gamestpo, etc. Somewhere I can drive/walk to.

Any help would be appreciated.
What flamestar666 said, you put too much paint and didn't let it dry. Honestly, you can put alot of paint on your controller but you should leave it by a window in sunlight or let it dry over night. Thats if you put too much paint on. And as far as the newspaper sticking to your controller, you should tape the bottom off so that tape, not your controller is touching the newspaper. Look at the green controller on the guide you'll see what i mean.

Yes! - yea that's what i feared as well, thats why i didnt paint the top part of the analog stick but rather the round base.

Krilj

Smash Cadet
painted mine red

well I painted mine last weekend I put on 3 coats

I the picture of the front unpainted is gone for some reason...

I love the smell of paint :D

and heres the back :lick:

3 coats later...

**** thats smexy!

I used the same kind of paint as piz

for some reason its a bit sticky but I guess the paint isnt completly dry :S

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
G-Ron said:
What flamestar666 said, you put too much paint and didn't let it dry. Honestly, you can put alot of paint on your controller but you should leave it by a window in sunlight or let it dry over night. Thats if you put too much paint on. And as far as the newspaper sticking to your controller, you should tape the bottom off so that tape, not your controller is touching the newspaper. Look at the green controller on the guide you'll see what i mean.

Yes! - yea that's what i feared as well, thats why i didnt paint the top part of the analog stick but rather the round base.
i suggest you get some paint thinner Hydro Kirby....
and take a toothbrush to it, being carefuk to to desolve too much from the plastic

MZero17

Smash Journeyman
I can paint my control stick because I don't have the rubber part on it, it came off lol...I'm gonna paint my controller Flouresent Orange with a black control stick and black buttons...

JustaPnoy

Smash Apprentice
G-Ron said:
justpinoy - read the guide
Yea i read the guide i just passed thru some parts that i thought weren't important but actually were.. hehe anyways i got it now. i just need to get the things i need triwing screwdriver, paint.. wtvr but im just scared im going to ruin my controller... :ohwell:

C-Stik

Smash Rookie
JustaPnoy said:
Yea i read the guide i just passed thru some parts that i thought weren't important but actually were.. hehe anyways i got it now. i just need to get the things i need triwing screwdriver, paint.. wtvr but im just scared im going to ruin my controller... :ohwell:

not really sure taht you need a triwing.. i used a 1.8 flathead screwdriver and with some time it worked, and dont be worried about ruining ya controller, just take it slow and be carefull haha

G-Ron

Smash Apprentice
MZero17 said:
I can paint my control stick because I don't have the rubber part on it, it came off lol...I'm gonna paint my controller Flouresent Orange with a black control stick and black buttons...
hmm does the top part still have the rubbery stuff or are the ridges just worn down smooth?

anyway here is what i did to my control and my sticks, although i think i want to buy another controller and try to spray my c-stick just to see what will happen.

these first two are what i sanded on the control and analog stick.

This is what the control looks like now:

OLe' :)

Zenith

Smash Ace
Is there anywhere else you can buy triwing screwdrivers? And is there a specific size?

I know this question has probably been asked 100x but I don't trust buying stuff over the internet.

My comments about painting buttons is to let it dry 5 days.
On the last controller I had i painted the buttons and let em dry for 1 day. The paint basicly slid right off after playing for 15 minutes. then I repainted and let em dry 5 days (I had forgot about em, I had 6 controllers) The still are ok, but my controller broke and we sold a bunch so i need to buy another.

I used a thrid party controller so I just used a philips, one reason why i'm lookin for a tri wing screwdriver.

piZ

Smash Journeyman
Zenith said:
Is there anywhere else you can buy triwing screwdrivers? And is there a specific size?.
Check all your local hardware store, and i'm pretty sure one size fits all.

Black Luigi

Smash Journeyman
What about buttons? Unless I missed it, I don't think anyone really mentioned how to do your buttons. They're going to take a lot more abuse than the rest of the controller, and I wouldn't want the paint to fade.

Black Luigi

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah. Thanks Sizzle. I think I'm just going to stick with my first mind and not paint the buttons. I haven't seen any painted ones that I like, and leaving the original buttons makes it look like an exclusive Nintendo controller.

Hopefully I should be able to get a screwdriver this weekend and get started.

G-Ron

Smash Apprentice
finally im at work and here is what ive done so far, relaximaproffesional if you could update the giude with parts of this that would be great thanx. :)

• How do I open the gamecube controller?

Hokay, the gamecube controller has the tri-screws instead of normal screws to hold it together. Obviously this is ploy to keep us out; however one can purchase the tri-wing screwdriver for $0.99 on ebay, plus $5.00 for shipping. There are also other sites you can purchase from:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-1e-49-en-15-screwdriver-70-1fe.html
Thanx HHH for the above link.

These stores I know DO NOT have the Tri-screwdriver: Radioshack, Wal-Mart, Home-Depot.

But not all of the gamecube controllers have tri-screws! I think all of the third party controllers, if not most, have normal head screws, so you can crack open one of those and practice until your tri-wing screwdriver arrives. If you have any fears about opening one then pm me, because I’ve taken apart my pelican clear controller and put it back together no problem. The only real difference between the standard Nintendo gamecube controller and a third party controller is that the rumble is stationed in the bottom half of the controller instead of it all being in the top part. It’s almost the same process.

I have also heard of 3 other ways of opening a gamecube standard controller. (if you use any of these methods, be smart enough to go buy NORMAL screws to replace the tri-heads that you took out, that way you don't have to hassle yourself to open it up again without a tri-screwdriver)

1) Purchasing the “screwdrivers for glasses kit” and with patience, you can open the tri-screws. Once opened, you would of course replace the tri-screws with normal screws of the same size. As quoted from Cap’n Crunch, “I've modded bunches of controllers with various items and there's a pretty easy way to get it open. If you have a 1.8mm flathead screwdriver, it'll fit and as long as you push down hard enough, it won't strip or damage the screws. The size is standard eyeglass screw size, so anything used for that will work. One note of caution, if you use a screwdriver made for use with the glasses screws, the actual screwdriver metal is pretty weak and the controller screws can mess it up pretty badly, to the point where one of the cheap screwdrivers barely was able to last through all 6 screws before having the tip completely bent.
The best thing I've found is a set of 6 screwdrivers that come in a case sold at home depot. They're pretty inexpensive, are very sturdy, and the 1.8mm screwdriver is clearly marked, so these ones are by far the best set I've come across” In addition I do wanna say that if you choose this route then TAKE YOUR TIME. You will ***** out if you strip the screw heads.

2) Another was is by forcing the controller apart by….. .well force. At least that is what was said by Kalypso, I don’t think it’s the smartest thing to do but hey if you have no other way to do it…….

3) This last method is something that I have never heard of but Banksyayogame50, says and I quote “there is a method involving melting plastic and letting it cool inside the screw, then using that to unscrew…that’s the method used to open the nes consoles and things of that kind, maybe it would work” This method again let me say that I have not confirmed but it looks sound in theory.

I personally have never tried any of ^these three methods and can’t guarantee they work, but #1 seems to be your best bet because numerous members have said it has worked. BUT again these are last resorts; usually getting the tri-wing screwdriver is really easy so your better off with it anyway cuz you can open all your Nintendo stuff anyway as a bonus.

• If my controller is cosmetically modified, then will it be banned in tourneys?

No, and again no. If your controller is solely cosmetically modified, then it will be fine. Now in the future people with extremely bright colored controllers might be under criticism because one can interpret that a cosmetically modified controller can distract a player, but again that is not the case now so to hell with it.

• How do I put LED lights in my controller?

Thanx a bunch to NG7 for this link, http://www.porkchopsammiches.com/tendomod/ledmod.html.
I haven’t personally done this, so I don’t know how well the guide is or how difficult it is. But it seems to be a solid guide.

Tees

Smash Cadet
Ok guys.. i opened my wavebird... what should i do now...
i was thinking of...
1.Sand it with a 600 grit paper
2. apply plastic primer
3.apply paint
4.apply clear coat

i have a few questions... how many layers of each can (primer paint and clear) should i put?
and when ill paint the buttons... like are they gonna be harder to push on..like are they gonna be sticky and ****?

Black Luigi

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if you're going to want to add this, but Sears DOES carry tri-wings. However, I could not find just a bit or a single screwdriver. I just came from there and the ones I saw were bundled with a screwdriver(you get 4 tri-wing bits of different sizes) and I think about 16 other bits, making a total of roughly 20.

The downside is, it's about 20 bucks or so, but if you'd really rather not buy off the internet, or you were looking for a new bit set anyway, it might be a way to go.

Tees

Smash Cadet
Tees said:
Ok guys.. i opened my wavebird... what should i do now...
i was thinking of...
1.Sand it with a 600 grit paper
2. apply plastic primer
3.apply paint
4.apply clear coat

i have a few questions... how many layers of each can (primer paint and clear) should i put?
and when ill paint the buttons... like are they gonna be harder to push on..like are they gonna be sticky and ****?
can some1 answer my question plz?

JustaPnoy

Smash Apprentice
Black Luigi said:
I don't know if you're going to want to add this, but Sears DOES carry tri-wings. However, I could not find just a bit or a single screwdriver. I just came from there and the ones I saw were bundled with a screwdriver(you get 4 tri-wing bits of different sizes) and I think about 16 other bits, making a total of roughly 20.

The downside is, it's about 20 bucks or so, but if you'd really rather not buy off the internet, or you were looking for a new bit set anyway, it might be a way to go.

thnx blk luigi. because i don't have any acces to buy things off the net..

RPK

Smash Lord
I wanna know how to make my controller like this one dude I heard about. The controllers with the clear back well he took out the rumble function and instead of rumbling a neon color comes out instead. I wanna know how to do that >.< or what to do to do that

Ghetto

Smash Cadet
Finished!

Woot, my ownage controller is finally done! After many traumatic experiences, its done!

I love it!

Fliperotchy

Smash Journeyman
2 questions for ghetto....

1. do the buttons and sticks tend to stick due to the paint?

2. how did you go about putting that old english style "A" on your controller?

yes!

Smash Apprentice
ghetto - very very well done! let us know how the rubber on the control stick and c-stick feels though. a bunch of us are dying to know!

Ghetto

Smash Cadet
Fliperotchy said:
2 questions for ghetto....

1. do the buttons and sticks tend to stick due to the paint?

2. how did you go about putting that old english style "A" on your controller?
1. The X, Y, A, B, and Z buttons are all fine, they do sit a hair lower than before, but that could be avoided by masking a few areas

The L and R, however, do tend to stick, so I sanded down the area that was touching, making a slightly larger hole for the buttons and that seems to do the trick. I also added a touch of a lubricant to this area to help, its called CubeLube, its for the Rubik's Cube and can be bought for like 5$.

2. As for the "A", you can go to hobby lobby and ask for "Rub on Letters". Its basically a sheet with a bunch of letters that you take a pen or something and rub them on and they stick, they're super thin, and i put them under the clear coat of paint.

yes! said:
ghetto - very very well done! let us know how the rubber on the control stick and c-stick feels though. a bunch of us are dying to know!
I was worried about this, that the plastic paint would not adhere to the "spongy" part of the controller, but surprisingly, the plastic paint stuck very well, and even if i squeeze the control stick, it has enough give to squeeze with it.

It feels a little different than the regular control stick, but not by much, its got about the same amount of stick to it and wont take long at all to get used to.

I was also worried that it would chip because of dash dancing and that sort of stuff, but again, i was surprised and it doesnt even scrape off!

Bailey

Smash Hero
Flamestar PM me about the details a little later. Also could you take pics and show what is being done becuase everyone else has pics.

Top Bottom