• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To Re-Spray Painting your controllers for melee(Updated 4/3/07)

videokilledtheradiostar

Smash Journeyman
i'm going to paint my controller, and add my name in stencils. Ill post some pics when im done
I'm thinking about making it "rising sun" themed

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
clear coat is more important than primer, i didn't use a primer and mines fine. I would recomend krylon

Drumma_Boi

Smash Ace
I actually just got cone doing my whole crews controllers plus some extra ones

I will post pics up asap

also I used krylon also.....

p.s. try not to use latex paint.... acryllic paint works much better soooo stay away from latex it ran off the controller like water...... good thing it came off with water also -_-

vericz

Smash Champion
I actually just got cone doing my whole crews controllers plus some extra ones

I will post pics up asap

also I used krylon also.....

p.s. try not to use latex paint.... acryllic paint works much better soooo stay away from latex it ran off the controller like water...... good thing it came off with water also -_-
The best paint is Krylon plastic paint but its expensive!! Acrylic clear coat also works very well

-PM-

Smash Ace
im going to paint my first controller either this week or next week before smashtacular III any tips? ill post pics of it when im done

videokilledtheradiostar

Smash Journeyman
I have a question, if i put masking tape on a layer of not-coated paint after it dries, will it take any of the new paint off?
(I'm going to put a stencil on it, and have to cover the rest of the controller)
thanks

the answer is no, it doesn't take paint off, even with the super sticky foil-backed tape

videokilledtheradiostar

Smash Journeyman
im going to paint my first controller either this week or next week before smashtacular III any tips? ill post pics of it when im done
yeah,
don't do it on a windy day
don't hold the paint can too close
don't over apply primer (its a b*** to take off)
I learn from experience

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
hey I can make finger prints in my controllers paint with the lightest touch. I think put too much on and went over board with clear coat. =\

question am i supposed to wait for the paint to completly dry b4 adding more coats and am I supposed to do the same with the clear coat? Like I'd let the paint dry all the way and find it being brittle-ish and rly rough.....does this mean add a new coat or that i let it sit too much?

DP's Mario

Smash Ace

Dont mind the hamburger. I took it on top of a counter. :laugh:

Yup! That's me...And my finished controller. I did it with some good help of a friend and I managed to get my initials on the controller. Notice how I faded the color of the controller from Baby Blue to Navy Blue...Nice trick, huh? Thanx for the help in this thread. I really appreciate it!!! :grin:

DJLO

Smash Journeyman
dude DP that is sick!!! the fade is so awesome! ill try not to make mine too much like that :p

DoctorChuk

Smash Apprentice
I must be doing something totally wrong because all these pictures show these ultra-glossy controllers, while mine looks and feels like alligator skin. I like the rough texture, as it tends to absorb sweat and keep my grip...grippy? Still bugs me though how mine turn out so rough. Yes I used clear coat. Should I use more?

Corigames

Smash Hero
I have a major question for the pros. I've painted my controller at least 3 different ways now and have gotten use to the oder of operations. This last time though, I ran into a major problem. After applying the last coat and letting it fully dry, I began the clear coat phaze. This time, though, the instant the clear coat hit the paint, the paint started to crack and ripple. The entire half of the controller got ruined from it and the work from the entire weakend was halted and restarted. What would cause this? This is the same brand I had always used and this never happened. I made sure to do it the same as before. The only conclusion I could come to is if something happened to the environment (too hot/cold) or if it got old and 'expired' or something.

acez

Smash Rookie
Hi join this forum so i could post in this thread. My friend and I finally painted are controllers and use all the helpful tips and instructions on how to go about doing it. We painted 3 controllers a dark green zelda theme controller, with a golden triforce where the nintendo gamecube logo was. A jet black controller which my friend added red stripes to give it a shadow the hedgehog theme. As for my controller i painted it red and painted the buttons white to give it a knuckles the echidna theme, with a A logo above the start button which represents my gamer handle Ace.

primein the controllers

zelda theme controller and knuckles controller after painting

shadow controller and knuckles controller with A logo Added

added triforce to zelda controller

end result

Since everyone has left a tip my friend and I also have one. When we finish painting, we came back the next day to find that the controllers had collected a lot of dust which made them rough in some parts. My friend came up with a good way to remove the dust and make the controllers smooth. if you just use a towel like you would with sand paper and rub all the areas that have dust, the towel will remove the dust and make your controllers smooth. I just want to say thanks again for this thread. Without the help of all you, are controllers would have never turn out as good as they did.

vericz

Smash Champion
Did you use tin foil for the stencils??? They came out really good, I tried doing the Zelda symbol for a friend but it was kind of hard. I have the starfox symbol on mine, I'll post pics as soon as my friend gets here with my controller.

Also, did anyone answer the question about how you get the controller to have a glossy look. My controller doesn't have the glossy look and I would really like it to. Is it the type of clear coat??

homsar

Smash Ace
Has anyone else used vynil dye on there controller other than me? Its a great paint product is on dashboards and carpeting. You dont need to prime, sand or clearcoat (sanding will be needed on the buttons) and it is dry in 15 min and is ready for use in 2 hours. The only problem is the limited color selection and the difficulty in find it. However, I do plan to find out if any auto places will do custom colors and Ill keep you posted. Pictures soon.

Volrec

Smash Lord
Hi join this forum so i could post in this thread. My friend and I finally painted are controllers and use all the helpful tips and instructions on how to go about doing it. We painted 3 controllers a dark green zelda theme controller, with a golden triforce where the nintendo gamecube logo was. A jet black controller which my friend added red stripes to give it a shadow the hedgehog theme. As for my controller i painted it red and painted the buttons white to give it a knuckles the echidna theme, with a A logo above the start button which represents my gamer handle Ace.

primein the controllers

zelda theme controller and knuckles controller after painting

shadow controller and knuckles controller with A logo Added

added triforce to zelda controller

end result

Since everyone has left a tip my friend and I also have one. When we finish painting, we came back the next day to find that the controllers had collected a lot of dust which made them rough in some parts. My friend came up with a good way to remove the dust and make the controllers smooth. if you just use a towel like you would with sand paper and rub all the areas that have dust, the towel will remove the dust and make your controllers smooth. I just want to say thanks again for this thread. Without the help of all you, are controllers would have never turn out as good as they did.
This entire ****ing post makes me want to do them. I want do do a pink and white controller with a capain falcon logo in the middle. What did you use to get the Triforce logo?

acez

Smash Rookie
well with the A logo my friend had letter stencils and I use the A one from them. As for the Triforce logo my friend used trace paper and copied the triforce logo from the twilight princess Wii booklet on page 4. He then put masking tape over the trace paper and cut it out to make a stencil.

Volrec

Smash Lord
well with the A logo my friend had letter stencils and I use the A one from them. As for the Triforce logo my friend used trace paper and copied the triforce logo from the twilight princess Wii booklet on page 4. He then put masking tape over the trace paper and cut it out to make a stencil.

Hah,real smart lol.

Infact, Instead of the falcon themed controller, I want to do entire white with blue buttons and joysticks, with the Wii logo where the gameceube controller logo is.

Sid, what does it look like?

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
oh snap this looks awesome
i have a controller with perfect buttons but a loose stick. and another with a perfect stick but a z-button that somehow got cracked, i'll mix the two for a perfect controller and paint in the meantime.

i think i'll go sky blue bottom with white top and red buttons if i can.

edit@ homsar: so do you go about unattaching buttons to paint? also, like mentioned earlier how do you paint the c-stick since it has a rubber grip?

videokilledtheradiostar

Smash Journeyman
thanks PM, and also...
if you want to know a trick for stenciling, take your choice design and print it out. Then stick some aluminum foil tape to it. make sure that the foil is touching the back side of the paper with the design, and the wax paper part is facing outwards. cut out the design with a knife, and you have a stencil, ready to stick to your uneven back of a controller!
the tape didn't take off any of the dried paint, and it kept all the selected color where it should be.

homsar

Smash Ace
edit@ homsar: so do you go about unattaching buttons to paint? also, like mentioned earlier how do you paint the c-stick since it has a rubber grip?
When you take a part the controller the buttons come out, then I sanded a bit and painted. Its missing its clear coat right now but thats ok for the time being.

As for the C-stick, I dont know what others have done but I was using a special paint known as vynil dye. It absorbs into the plastic a bit making the C-stick come out better and be less easy to peel. Ive already spent time playing with it and its fine. The only thing I noticed is that it doesnt want to stay on the joystick to well, and it bothered me, so I peeled it off. I can post some pictures to help better explain if you like.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
sweet, i successfully changed the z-buttons.

i've changed my mind on the colors
it's gonna have a red bottom with a black and gold flame decal, a black top with gold buttons and my name (my screen name) written in red where the GC logo normally is.

WFL

Smash Journeyman

This is my limit on controller remodeling. Switched up the buttons. I am considering making a cellphone out of my other NES controller. Yeah, I know it would be amazing. I just don't really want to spend any money (I know it's not that much).

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
hey i was just wonderin. how do yall suggest gettin the emblems on. Any suggestions. To be more specific yoshi eggs.

Top Bottom