• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To Re-Spray Painting your controllers for melee(Updated 4/3/07)

I have encountered a problem with my controller holding the L and R in place there is a black piece of plastic in my way and my triwing can't unscrew it.

The tri-wing shouldve worked for that.... never heard of it not working on those screws specifically. Did the tr- wing work for the rest of the screws? Try what sizzle said above me.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
Wow I wish I would have come across this thread a few months ago before I tried to do it myself. I did almost everything the same, but the few steps I left out bit me in the ***... I didn't use a clear paint to give it a couple protection coats, and I also didn't wait long enough for it to dry. That controller is now just used by me for spare parts...

I will probably try this again the next time I'm back at home, so after school is over pretty much. Look forward to seeing the fruits of my efforts in June!

budahboi

Smash Apprentice
I have encountered a problem with my controller holding the L and R in place there is a black piece of plastic in my way and my triwing can't unscrew it.
i'm pretty sure thats a regular old phillips head screw.

JustaPnoy

Smash Apprentice
hmm can i like... paint my cont. then draw stuff on it with like a marker. then clear coat it?(so the marker part doesn't come off) and then it'll be sexy? yes? no?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I'll post some pics of mine, i did them before i saw this topic, but i basically did them the same way.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
HEy, so i want to pattern my cotnroller after ness's colors. I'm just wondering...how hard isi t ot do stripes? Should i do a layer of all my colors and hten as a finishing touch ductape everything and stripes and then use a paint forthe stripes?

Elen

Smash Lord
I <3 this guide. Finished 4 controllers now. Doing more for friends soon too :p I'll post pics at some point. Yes! is the man ^.^

Grand Mango

Smash Journeyman
This question is for everyone, so if as many people could answer this as possible it'd be much appreciated.

Did you paint the inside of the controller too? If you did, did you just apply the same amount of coats to the inside as the outside?

Thanks in advanced.

This question is for everyone, so if as many people could answer this as possible it'd be much appreciated.

Did you paint the inside of the controller too? If you did, did you just apply the same amount of coats to the inside as the outside?

Thanks in advanced.
No.... painting the inside sounds kind of unnecessary. Plus the paint can melt in heat depending on how cheap the paint you bought is, or how good you let it dry.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
This pic shows the color better, even though its a bit bright

This pic shows the controller as a whole better, although the colors a bit off

Its Exide Pink from Jeff Burtons Exide race car.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Thanks!

I also painted the front half of my orange controller black, so its like a halloween one. I was thinking about getting another controller and painting it white, i think it would look sharp.

Grand Mango

Smash Journeyman
Hmm thanks for answering my question but I got another one about your controller (it is yours right?).

It looks like the inside shell is painted too?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
You can paint the inside just as easily as the outside, its just harder to sand, but you don't need to sand much because you arent really touching the insides. It doesn't make a difference if you do though, not like anyone is gonna see it.

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman
I just did mine in aquamarine for the body and bright blue for the ABZ buttons and left the triggersxy&start grey. Might do them white later

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman

I messed up the buttons, and there are some fingerprints on the main body of the controller. I'll hafta try again with a different controller.

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman
well, I kinda want to keep this one as a record of the things to not do when painting a controller. Also, part of it feels funny when I play with it. almost sticky, but not really

Press22

Smash Journeyman
Well, if its sticky, LET iT DRI!!! Mine was sticky so I blowdried it and washed it, its gone now.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Thanks for mentioning the two small phillip's head screws for taking out the L and R buttons.

That really didn't catch me off guard, with me only having the triwing and all.

Seriously though, I got back from Walmart, ready to play, but then that hindered me.

Oh well.

Anywho, a quick few questions-- sanding. Does it have to be COMPLETELY white before primering? If so, I have a long day of sanding ahead of me.

Also, my color choice has been dwindled down to a final 6. The bright ones don't look that good, but that's due to my ******** photoshopping. The brown and cranberry look pretty real, though. Minus the Z button.

So what do you think? I think my top three are the brown, pink, and white.

offcell

Smash Apprentice
Haha, yeah I just realized I picked your other 3 :p The brown one looks best of the 3 you chose though.

I want to try to do red with yellow rays of sunshine. It'd be the Tamagotchi color scheme I had a couple of months back :p

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Red with yellow rays would be awesome! Too bad I'm too artisticly ******** to ever pull anything cool off like that.

Top Bottom