• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To Re-Spray Painting your controllers for melee(Updated 4/3/07)

E3E_IceClimbers

Smash Apprentice
well you don't sand over the tape, you get as close as possible and just take your time....basically on the front i am taping over the buttons, c stick, plus pad, joystick.....it's like four round circles i will be taping and sanding the rest down, gonna prime it and hopefully texture paint it....

Sudai

Stuff here
Well, good luck man. I imagine it'll be a pain in the butt and I'm looking forward to the results~ :)

Stencil users: What did you use to make your stencils?

E3E_IceClimbers

Smash Apprentice
lol ******* me forgot the tape that i wanted to get, so i just completely sanded it....now it's drying in primer as we speak.....

I got this cool textured black paint for plastic, it's pretty grippy....Hopefully it will turn out nice....

E3E_IceClimbers

Smash Apprentice
i got the second coat of paint down, it's not as grippy or textured as the cap was....it's more of a metallic, which in turn it looks ALOT better.....i am gonna let it dry over night and then spray some clear on it tomorrow....so far it's turned out great....total bill so far was about 7 bucks for paint and sandpaper...i already had primer, and i think i have clear...if not i will buy a can tomorrow...as i am sure some of my friends will be having me paint theirs...

Corigames

Smash Hero
No numb nuts. Paint fumes are not to be taken lightly. You must do this outside and in a well-ventelated area. DON'T DO IT INSIDE!!!

E3E_IceClimbers

Smash Apprentice
lol i did mine inside my house but had the window and door open and a fan blowing while i painted.....i think i might of got a little buzz :)

*edit* My controller is completely dried, although i have to go pick up a can of clear and clear the bad boy still.....I think it came out really nice. Sanded down with 500 grit paper, two coats of primer, two/three coats of metallic textured plastic paint....

E3E_IceClimbers

Smash Apprentice
sudai, as i sprayed the paint that's how it came out/layed....looks great. I picked the paint up from walmart if your wondering.

Volrec if you wanted me to paint your controller i would lol, but there would be a charge since i don't have pink. I have red, but no pink. And i'd find a heart sticker and put it over the the nintendo logo and then clear over it if you know what i mean lol

HolyChef

Smash Ace
i havent tried yet but i went and got stuff from walmart cause i needed stuff there and homedepot and lowes were closed by then. anyway at wal mart the things im worried about that i got were a 2mm flathead as opposed to 1.8 or triway. and i also got primer that says its for metals. will these work?

Dragon7507

Smash Ace
Holychef, you can pick up a triwing for $3, with about $2 shipping from an online store https://ssl.perfora.net/electricquarter.com/?osCsid=94da4fcc49e0e9f7dfe95e4ff6670995 it is known as the Electric Quarter. I ordered a triwing, a 3.8, and a 4.2 mm sockets (For opening a cube, 64, and all the other systems), some Wii component cables, and some PS2 component cables, and with shipping, it was like $42, and it was at my house in about 3 days. But I would recomend anyone that want's to paint a controller, just kick out the $5 and get a triwing from this store. Also, I don't know if you would want to use a metal primer on your controller, it may cause some problems. Also, when I finish my controller, I will put a pic up on here. I am doing mine the professional way, using an airbrush. I will be painting some designs and possibly logo's on it, and if all goes well, I may offer to do this also for other people. I will keep everyone that cares informed.

Dragon

Dragon7507

Smash Ace
do you really need a clear coat because i just got gloss paint is that all right?
Depends. Gloss paint will have a high sheen to it, but not only does clear coat make it shiny, but it also adds a protective layer on your paint, so that way it wont be ruined easily. But you should be able to just pick up a spray can of clear coat for a few dollars from your local hardware store, or even walmart.

HolyChef

Smash Ace
imessed up bad and now i dont know what tp do. ok first i meessed up one side that was going well(back) by spraying it with the clear coat(which isnt so clear but a shade of red). so that half is messed up then i messed u pby letting my gf paint other side too much and sanded it too early. so the back side looks ugly and the front side is rough.

my questions are:

should i sand everything completly? and i tried that with the front side and it was hard to take the paint off.

is there anything else?

Deathlock09

Smash Rookie
alright well i did mine today with my smash bud thunderbolt and it came out fine without s clear coat but we had some trouble with the triggers and they don't work anymore does anyone have some suggestions?>

blazefox

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if this was asked but there's alot of posts to look for this:
Is a wavebird possible to paint? Would disassembling/ assembling be impossible due to incresed parts? Appreciate it if you could help. :/

E3E_IceClimbers

Smash Apprentice
alright well i did mine today with my smash bud thunderbolt and it came out fine without s clear coat but we had some trouble with the triggers and they don't work anymore does anyone have some suggestions?>
read the first page to get your triggers to work right

wavebirds would be the same principle, it's a controller thats just wireless....that's what i would think. Don't think it would be any different

HolyChef

Smash Ace
yes! as I said before that is a sick controller
This controller can beat your LEDS, people will think your so good that they will run away in fear when you use this controller :joyful:
what is wrong with the cstiq I say ....

^^Chuck Norris uses this controller

chuck norris does not use a controller for smash.

Bailey

Smash Hero
I oredered mny TriWing today and in 2 days I will start the Pimpin of my controller. I want it Italian Flag colors and Bailey in the middle this will be fun.

Top Bottom