• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide to learning Princess Peach (Competitive) Updated 4/25/10

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
wow this thread is freacking amazing!

I wish Lucas had one like this but *eh*. Anyways I def wanna take Peach up as my secondary after reading that. So I want to train under you Dark Peach to become better. I use Peach leisurely for fun but I have never tried getting serious with her. I need to...no wait I WANT to get better cuz Peach deserves more respect than what she is getting now adays.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
wow this thread is freacking amazing!

I wish Lucas had one like this but *eh*. Anyways I def wanna take Peach up as my secondary after reading that. So I want to train under you Dark Peach to become better. I use Peach leisurely for fun but I have never tried getting serious with her. I need to...no wait I WANT to get better cuz Peach deserves more respect than what she is getting now adays.
Just hit me up on any kind of instant messaging for help and teachings.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
kk ima work on her myself for a bit then get back to you if I need any advice but the hardest thing for me is keeping her floating low like I see in the vids. I keep jumping too high. :/

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Press the jump button and and it then hit the stick down at any height you wish to float at. like if you wanna float at mid level jump and then hit the stick downward once you hit that hieight.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Hot ****. I find myself lookin' on this thread daily for more peach tips. My Peach is gettin' pretty beast. If anyone wants to have some friendlies over in South Florida...
Mink!

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I have my left shield button as attack so I can hold Turnips while I smash. :)
Elaborate. Now.

Do you mean "smash" as in, the "game" Smash Bros., or "smash" as in smash attacks.

Very important.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Elaborate. Now.

Do you mean "smash" as in, the "game" Smash Bros., or "smash" as in smash attacks.

Very important.
Meno item smashing a severly underused tactic by the Brawl community, but it was discovered by the Link boards. When I mained Link in '08 Bombsmashing was my favorite AT. When I moved onto Peach in '09 I in turn moved into Turnip Smashing. It's an insanely easy technique. To perform it all you need to do is hold an Attack button (A or any button you have set to attack. In my and PeachGaurd's case we happen to have L set to attack.) while you pluck a turnip. Then perfrom an Fsmash There are drawbacks though that keep this very being very useful. You must constantly be holding said attack button in order to perform ONLY an Fsmash. You can still do specials, you cannot perform any ground attacks or aerials meaning this is an in-the-moment technique that you will want to or plan to do immediately so you can gain your moveset back.(you can also just release your button any time at no cost and act as you would normally with a turnip in hand.) Also you have to release the button you're holding otherwise you'll remain in the smash charging animation instead of performing it immediately. I imagine it mildly difficult for people who B-stick as they would need to perform the Fsmash the traditional manner with another attack button versus tapping the C-stick(but this is you Meno so I know you can learn that easily). At best this is a very good mindgame/mixup and I love doing them. I wondered why no other Peaches Turnip smash but I never considered that you guys had not discovered it.

If you guys desire me to I can go into more detail about how this mechanic works. This can be done with any item in the game(aside from having a special involving the character immediately gaining an item in hand like Peach and Link) and can be learned in a matter of a minute or so. I can easily pick up a Diddy's banana and itemsmash in one motion.

Edit: Sorry item smashing CANNOT be done with using a button set to grab. Only any button set to attack. Fixed the post.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I would assume that by using L for the attack button, it makes it much much easier to hold an attack for item smashing rather than arse around using the claw position by trying to use the C Stick down for B sticking the Turnip and then your index finger on the A button for attack

I've given it a go and its much much more comfortable not to mention much easier to use L for item smashing if you B Stick

Also 2link - with Peach, its not strictly true that you can't use aerials. If you hold A down and then jump up in the air and start a Float, you'll immediatly do an aerial (depends on your input) but you'll only do one, even if you land, you can't do another one until you let go of attack. Very strange indeed....

Two-Ell

Smash Master
ah okay I see Rick, but yeah I was even speaking with Kyon the other night. I'm still a bit surprised you guys didn't know about/look into it much. I'm not sure if it warrants it's own thread, but I can start one for you guys so I can completely outline it's mechanics. I was thinking after that I can discuss with all of you the best means of application as well as what it can do for Peach's ground game which I believe on consensus around here is in need of attention.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Oh, this is known - it's just I haven't been able to replicate it with the bstick.

I've also tried it for five minutes and couldn't get it to work. Could I get precise button inputs?

If this works: thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Oh, this is known - it's just I haven't been able to replicate it with the bstick.

I've also tried it for five minutes and couldn't get it to work. Could I get precise button inputs?

If this works: thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou.
Okay Meno, The way it works is basically an attack button needs to be held while Peach is occupied in another animation. For example we can do this while Peach is plucking the turnip. What you need to do and lets say for example we have L for attack. Perform a turnip pull. The moment Peach starts the pull animation up until the end is the window you have to hold the attack button(L in this case). When done right you should be holding L with Peach having the turnip in hand. At this point since you use the Bstick all you will need to do is perform an Fsmash using your analog and A button. Laid out it should be:

Down+B>Hold Attack at some point during turnip pull animation(preferably moment after downB is registered)>Fsmash/Smash Analog Forward+A(release held attack button to perform the Turnip smash otherwise Peach will charge the Fsmash)

This maneuver can also be done any other time. Say you happen to pull a turnip and at some point you decide you want to Turnip smash. Since you pulled the turnip all you need to do is find another animation of Peaches you can perform so you can hold the attack button without worry of her throwing it. An example of this is holding attack during a roll. With a turnip in hand Hold shield and perform a roll. during Peach's roll animation hold your attack button. Make sure to this at a point during Peach's roll where she will not glide toss the turnip. When done right Peach will complete her roll and have the turnip in hand for you to perfrom your fsmash whenever.

For projectiles that you pick up like grenades, suit pieces, and bananas, etc.. All that needs to be done is for you too pick up the projectile with your alternate attack button and hold that button. If you have L set to attack. Pick up the projectile by pressing L and hold that button. You should then be free to perform an Fsmash any time after. If you want you can pick it up and buffer in an fsmash just like that.

I hope this helps you Meno if you want I can also discuss this with you whenever and if you're able to I'll tutor you over WiFi. It's very easy to learn and makes for very good mindgames.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
ah okay I see Rick, but yeah I was even speaking with Kyon the other night. I'm still a bit surprised you guys didn't know about/look into it much. I'm not sure if it warrants it's own thread, but I can start one for you guys so I can completely outline it's mechanics. I was thinking after that I can discuss with all of you the best means of application as well as what it can do for Peach's ground game which I believe on consensus around here is in need of attention.
We do know about it, I personally enjoy buffering it after Bone Walking a Turnip :p

Its just that Meno uses the B Stick - with traditional controls, there is only one attack button (A) and because Meno is B Sticking, he can't use the C Stick to Smash whilst holding A because he doesn't have two 'attack' buttons, he's only got one and he has to hold that to actually do item smashing

What PeachGuard is saying is that you use L to get the other attack button but so far, I can't get item smashing to work with just the Control Stick without using the C Stick on Smashes...I just keep dashing everytime I input the movement + attack

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Hmm I understand. I just got through testing with a B-stick scheme and it can't be done. Brawl does not recognize more than one attack button input at a time, which is in this case the L button. That means that the A button is useless until you release L D:. I'm afraid this is strictly a Cstick only technique.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Thought so.

Oh wells. Thanks though! Very helpful, though ultimately futile. :p

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Yeah I'm sorry Meno. At least you have that sexy free-pulling to hold over our heads. I've completely outlined the mechanics of how it works, which I'll be posting in Dark's thread sometime soon. It can be done consistently with the Cstick from all that I've gathered, but it is near impossible to have the same ease control over it as someone with a Bstick. You'd need the hands of a surgeon D:

Top Bottom