• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide to DESYNCHING -- I really need to massively revise this

IxxI

Smash Fence
Wow. I love you. You've contributed so much to these boards. Go apply for Smash Researcher please?

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
firestorm - I can add it if you like, but it seems too (mechanically) similar to other desynchs, so it'd also go on the verification list. To clarify, you're talking about the one where you hold A, dash and almost immediately cstick fsmash the other direction, popo fsmash nana dashattack, right? Any idea who came up with it (for credit)?

red dog - haha sure, I'll come up with something for the next revision, just cause it's you. <3

Fence (may I call you that?) - Haha I actually talked to Vyse about it and he said the group's inactive atm, so I have to wait until they put out another call for Researchers. Tough luck eh, but I'll be patient. :3

And thanks for the kind words everyone, it means a lot. I put a lot of effort into it. Just wait till it's 100% finished! >:D

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Hey, thanks. :3

btw, are you going to Rocky next month?

Also guys, if it's not too much to ask, can we discuss applications a bit? It'd help a lot for section 2, it really needs to be more definitive than it currently is. I'm calling out Lain, Meep, Hylian and Bunny in particular for this one. But really, anything anyone adds to the topic is much appreciated and would help a ton.

So get discussing plz guise. :3

r3d d09

Smash Master
I was messing around today and having popo squall to nana blizz racks up damage quite a bit. if done right, you can reverse fsmash with popo while they *opponent* are still in the blizz from nana.

hope that made sense, i'm kinda out of it at the moment.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Applications for what, exactly?

Firestormzero0

Smash Ace
firestorm - I can add it if you like, but it seems too (mechanically) similar to other desynchs, so it'd also go on the verification list. To clarify, you're talking about the one where you hold A, dash and almost immediately cstick fsmash the other direction, popo fsmash nana dashattack, right? Any idea who came up with it (for credit)?
yeah thats the one. and really idk who came up with it lol.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
I'm no expert like the ones e_alert is referring to, though I hope I can help.

One of the strengths of desynching moves is that you can quickly shift strategies for what you want to do against the opponent. For instance, desynched Ice Blocks is great for forcing approaches against a lot of the cast - unless there are other platforms to help them, many characters will either have to take a bunch of residual damage trying to out-camp you, or they will get closer in an attempt to stop you. Then again, if they get in close (either from your Ice Blocks or their own movements) and you want them away, Blizzards can stop approaches, rack up some damage, and at mid to high percents pop them into the air, setting up a juggle. You can also time U-airs while Blizzarding to protect yourself from above.

These are just basic examples that I feel we've heard before at some point. Considering my relative lack of experience, getting much more complex would be mostly speculation on my part.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
We all know Blizzard/UpAir walls are too good. Those are proven to be important, but what I really like to do is Desynched Charged Smashes. Making Nana charge a smash, and baiting them to shield is really good. You can grab while she's charging, and I think you can shield while she's charging as well. This lets you attack AND shield at the same time.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
Yeah, I know none of the stuff in my other post is particularly groundbreaking. Just trying to get the discussion going, like e_alert wanted.

I've heard of desynching charged smashes before too. I haven't used desynched charges smashes much, and I figure that its use is in mindgaming them into grabs (they see Nana charging far away and shield, failing to notice that Popo is already right on top of them). But a part of me feels that this would not fool smarter players, as they could simply space themselves according to which Climber is closer (Nana could be right next to Popo, or Popo could be pulling the charging Nana behind him). If the enemy is one not greatly affected by Ice Blocks, they could also afford to run away under certain situations.

r3d d09

Smash Master
We all know Blizzard/UpAir walls are too good. Those are proven to be important, but what I really like to do is Desynched Charged Smashes. Making Nana charge a smash, and baiting them to shield is really good. You can grab while she's charging, and I think you can shield while she's charging as well. This lets you attack AND shield at the same time.
Yeah, I know none of the stuff in my other post is particularly groundbreaking. Just trying to get the discussion going, like e_alert wanted.

I've heard of desynching charged smashes before too. I haven't used desynched charges smashes much, and I figure that its use is in mindgaming them into grabs (they see Nana charging far away and shield, failing to notice that Popo is already right on top of them). But a part of me feels that this would not fool smarter players, as they could simply space themselves according to which Climber is closer (Nana could be right next to Popo, or Popo could be pulling the charging Nana behind him). If the enemy is one not greatly affected by Ice Blocks, they could also afford to run away under certain situations.
one of my preferred desync methods is SND, and nana charges a smash while popo can still walk. same method, but i like to switch it up and have popo charge a smash and nana just walk the distance she can. if they try and punish me, i can either grab with nana or if they DA, i can land a charged smash on them.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
The Standing Nana Desynch has always given me problems. On paper, I know how it works, but I can rarely pull it off. At least one could always do the "charging Nana" maneuver in the middle of a regular desynch sequence.

Thing is, if I knew how to perform the Pivot Ice Block, I'd use that as my main desynching method in a heartbeat. Yet the trouble I have with that one is I can't find out the controls for the move.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
You buffer it, eh? I guess I'm still confused on when to buffer the Ice Block, as I keep doing Squalls or, at best, synched Ice Blocks.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You buffer it, eh? I guess I'm still confused on when to buffer the Ice Block, as I keep doing Squalls or, at best, synched Ice Blocks.
Then you're not pivoting. Just pivot then press B. Pivoting involves centering the control stick again, sort of a flick motion.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Pivoting Ice Blocks is mehh... somewhat hard for me... I can get it about a third to half the time when I'm desyncing to the left... but to the right it's absolute failure =.= My hands aren't fast enough... This is what I get for being right handed =.=

Also doing a pivot ice block desync isn't that hard once you get the timing... to make sure you got the timing, trying doing a pivot down smash desync, if you Dsmash with Popo and dash attack with Nana while pivoting... you got the timing down nicely, you just have to press your special button at the same time. (This is what I do to make sure I got the timing down.)

IxxI

Smash Fence
I love how you gave names to combinations of desyncs. Now the IC's can start talking technical. I love you, man. <3

Smoom77

Smash Master
I'm sorta understanding pivot desync (I've been doing dash-dance) once Hylian said "Pivoting involves centering the control stick again, sort of a flick motion." But I'm still not getting it. How do you not dash? :/

r3d d09

Smash Master
i use to dash dance, but not what i do is, tilt opposite way you're looking, don't make it touch the edge of the controller* you know what i'm talking about* then push the joystick to the opposite side that it is at the present time and push it till it hits the edge of the controller.

LEGEND
(...o...) <- joystick neutral. | = neutral position of joystick (.o..|...) = tilt
/LEGEND

you're facing to the right, going to pivot desync to the right.

(...o...) -> (.o.|...) -> (...|..o) then input command.

make sense?

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
Personally I've had a somewhat easy time pulling off Blizzard Walls after dashdance desynch or pivoting. I haven't tested how effective Pivot Ice Block is for setting up Blizzard Walls but Pivoting a F Smash seemed to work for me. I'm a beginner with Ice Climbers but I was at a tournament this weekend with Lain and a few others so I got a asston of friendlies in and I learned a few things. But man I love Blizzard Walls. I almost pushed someone off the stage with it because it kept comboing into itself and then I got the grab/smash for the win. Too good.

Anyway as a new ICs player I have a question. Its basic: What desynchs do you guys generally rely on. Are there like some that are just so more practical that you use them more or is it just dependent on the person. There just seems to be SO many possibilities with them and I want to get to know everyone elses insights.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Personally:

Reverse Initial Dash Desync
Starting Desync
Respawn Desync

Those are the main ones, I don't really play a very desync-oriented game so I haven't yet come to rely on the better ones. I need to learn to pivot desync on command during matches. :/

chewyy

Smash Ace
I'm sorta understanding pivot desync (I've been doing dash-dance) once Hylian said "Pivoting involves centering the control stick again, sort of a flick motion." But I'm still not getting it. How do you not dash? :/
Just wanted to double check. For pivot desynch you mean the first one shown in this video, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqDnr-_YZ_I

edit:

B-Sync
SND (Early NSpecial)
Popo Ice Shots (direction depending on timing), Nana short-dashes
The fastest version of the SND and one of the fastest desynchs in the game, faster even than Pivot (NSpecial). Although nothing else about it is special, its speed makes it perfect for pure desynching.
pivot desynch is really freaking fast. I haven't even bothered trying the SND at all. :-/ is it worth it? :p

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Just wanted to double check. For pivot desynch you mean the first one shown in this video, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqDnr-_YZ_I

pivot desynch is really freaking fast. I haven't even bothered trying the SND at all. :-/ is it worth it? :p
Q1 - Yes.

Q2 - You can get by with just Pivot Desync. B-Sync is great to get that speed edge if you're willing to put in the time to practice, but it's not like it so completely outclasses Pivoting. The speed advantage is around a few frames faster at best. So to answer your question, "not really, but put in the practice if you have time."

SND itself is among the best desyncs because it is so incredibly versatile. It's definitely worth learning, just not simply for its speed. :p

chewyy

Smash Ace
mhmm.... I get it somewhat, but I can't do it consistantly.
I use the same movement that I use for the SWD (I used to main samus in melee) then hit B. Works every time.

Q1 - Yes.

Q2 - You can get by with just Pivot Desync. B-Sync is great to get that speed edge if you're willing to put in the time to practice, but it's not like it so completely outclasses Pivoting. The speed advantage is around a few frames faster at best. So to answer your question, "not really, but put in the practice if you have time."

SND itself is among the best desyncs because it is so incredibly versatile. It's definitely worth learning, just not simply for its speed. :p
pivot desynch takes 3 frames (minimum), right? (of button inputs, the iceblock takes longer to come out) Maybe I'll try a few SND variations anyway...

edit: Right now I stick to the 3 shown in the vid, though I rarely use the landing lag one.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
afaik it's 4 frames done perfectly, but realistically you're looking at more like 8 frames or so.

Prawn

Smash Master
Guys stop thinking having one of your climbers desync side-b is a bad idea, lol.

You can get so many more grabs, land fsmashes, blizzard, anything with your other climber and barely anyone DIs correctly out of it. Best thing is it drags your climber so its mad easy to do. Play around with it.

EDIT:

I'm gonna make this more active. Lately I've been just getting ninth at a good amount of tournaments in my region and now I'm going to delve so hard into desyncing and completely changing the flow of my ICs. Expect me to post in this thread a lot more.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
You guys have NOT explored even HALF the options we have. We have guaranteed grab setups, look harder.

Top Bottom