• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grounded Bowser Bomb as a kill move

Flayl

Smash Hero
Ignoring the fact that it's possible to dodge the second hit, be it because the opponent isn't aware or that he is caught by surprise, who is this worth using against?

The problem is that if you use it in a certain position or if the opponent simply isn't fat enough, they get sent in a more diagonal trajectory which won't kill until much much later.

I'll get pictures of the bowser bombed performed in the ideal position against Olimar (smallest character in the game I think) and ZSS (thinnest character? not so sure).

Is it possible to use this as a punishment for ledge attacks? Maybe just for the 100%+ ones?

B!squick

Smash Master
Well, if you Jab > DownB a shield it breaks, so it's kinda useful against someone who shields alot. But then, that should just mean they'll get grabbed more...

I got nothin'. It's a nice surprise kill move if anything. I mean, who would expect it?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
You're talking about catching them with the first hit then false comboing into the second, rather than just catching them iwth the landing hitbox, right?

I remember someone mentioned the possibiltiy of SH airdodging through someone into a utilt, perhaps that would work with the bomb as well, I'm not sure what the start up is like on the initial pop animation though.

Reverse bowser bomb, could make it more unexpected in this situation, or in any situatio nreally but i'm guessing reversing it out of a SH airdodge is more viable, if the SH airodge idea is viable at all.

I'm probably wrong about all this so let me know if I am.

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
euh I use bowser bomb to punish ledge jump, ledge attack and ledge get up.
I use it often as a mindgame tool its a high risk\high reward tool but when I am sure I will hit, I do it. Its really satisfying :)

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Keep in mind when i tested the jab -> downb shield breaking properties I only tried it on a few characters then got lazy and just decided to test it on another bowser cause i was under the impression we have one of the best shields, if someone does by chance have a batter shield than bowser (DDD?) then it may not break.

I'll try to add it in to my game a bit as a mix up. usually it's just for recovery.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
You can also do it off platforms and fall in between them to hit the foe.

I do it from the top platform on Battlefield from time to time.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Most opponents don't expect you to perform a grounded BB, since you don't use it constantly/spam it.
Therefor their reflexes aren't used to the scenario:
"Oh, ****, I just got hit by the first hit of the BB - I must Air dodge!"

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Most opponents don't expect you to perform a grounded BB, since you don't use it constantly/spam it.
Therefor their reflexes aren't used to the scenario:
"Oh, ****, I just got hit by the first hit of the BB - I must Air dodge!"
This. They assume most good Bowsers know how "bad" Bowser Bomb is, so they assume you'd never use it. However, there are people with **** reflexes or people who just overthink the situation and expect a Bowser Bomb at any given time.

Just general BB is a bad move and risky as hell. But if you're magical and you can land it when you need to, God Bless you.

In Bowser's case, wherever you can use Bowser Bomb, I can bet you there is a move that can be used that will always be less of a risk and will either:

a] Save you in the long run (Remember, using BB is risky)
b] Produce the same result that using BB would
c] Produce a BETTER result than using BB

I'm not downplaying Bowser Bomb in any way because it is pretty amazing, but there are more efficient options for killing that won't have you sitting on your ***. (lolbowserbombanimation)

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Keep in mind when i tested the jab -> downb shield breaking properties I only tried it on a few characters then got lazy and just decided to test it on another bowser cause i was under the impression we have one of the best shields, if someone does by chance have a batter shield than bowser (DDD?) then it may not break.

I'll try to add it in to my game a bit as a mix up. usually it's just for recovery.
I really don't think you should be jabbing DDD's shield anyway lol.

Personally I think it's one of those Hail Mary moves, it's a high risk-high reward, that I'd only really use if I'm behind to try get an earlier KO, because when you're behind like that you're just gonna get camped, so you don't relaly have anything to lose at that point..

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It's entirely airdodgeable on reaction if you land the first hit. Just never use the first hit unless there is a ledge nearby to save you just in case they airdodge it (which they probably will if they're good).

Or you can platform cancel it. Like, Ninjalink did it on battlefield when someone powershielded it. Or I did it on the middle platform of the 2nd transformation of Castle Siege because I broke the statue while BBing lmao and saved myself from getting killed by MK's charged F-smash lol. Both of those examples were aerial BBs though.

-MCT-

Smash Cadet
The best thing this move offers is pumping your ego, when you pull off something that cool... most of the times you have better options, but that's not a good reason to plain forget about it.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Here's the range on the thing, turns out it's harder to hit ZSS with it than Olimar:

B!squick

Smash Master
It's perfect out of grab release then. Hits on frame 11 if I remember right. So buffered they would only have 1 frame to react.

Top Bottom