• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grinding/surfing used as a possible defensive approach for Sonic?

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Could grinding be used as a good approach? Theoretically you can do all the following out of a grind:

1) Dash attack
2) Delayed DAC
3) B> the opposite direction
4) B> charge
5) B> shield cancel-which leads into rolls, up smashes, shields, spot dodges, ect.

Is this a good idea and will this work?

Discuss/

IceDX

Smash Ace
NNID
TheIceDX001
You mean the small slide it gets when u dash and press forward slighly right is good but i havent used it enough to tell u if its good or not

Tenki

Smash Hero
I think foxtrot is better though. You (can) move considerably faster with foxtrot, and there are more places for you to break off to do F-smash.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
The best way for Sonic to approach is to drop from a launching rocket at Metal Harbor.
Sonic Adventure 2 was a great game.

Could this be used more as a defensive approach since you can shield, roll both directions and spot dodge. Also I think >B the other way can protect you from projectiles. Plus it's slow so it's not really an offensive option. However you do have B> shield cancel to up smash. Also with many choices it could be hard to guess. That's what I think anyways. What do you guys think?

Edit: Also can you Forward smash from this? Also how about a up B from a shield?

R4ZE

Smash Ace
grinding is freeakin tight. ... u know what i wanna know.... can u fsmash out of grinds?

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
yeah too bad its super fricken hard to do >_< especially when ur playing against somebody lol but if somebody does "master" this it will own and it will surely make sonic waaay better since he's one the only one who can grind/surf...for now lol

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
I find this technique extremely sexy.
if this cud b infinited I my mind wud explode most likely.

P.S. I would like to point out how ridiculously late you can still dash attack wen the slide stops. As long as you have not gotten back to the original standing position of Sonic, it is possible.
He can still do it when he is stopped by getting back into the normal stance. Very off-putting.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
If you can do a stutter step forward smash out of a grind, than you can do a stutter step up smash right? Also if someone throws a projectile at Sonic, you can jump out of the way. More options are always good.

Tenki

Smash Hero
^
you can't stutterstep u-smash at all. you can do it while moving and slide while performing it, but you get a much better slide out of a running start than from the foxtrot slide (or 'grind')

You can do anything after the 'grind' is over, but out of the 'grind' itself, all you can do are dash-based moves:

dash grab
pivot grab
dash attack
forward-B (you have to B-reverse to do it backwards)
JC u-smash

In addition, there are some moves that you can't do out of this that you normally can out of a full dash:
- Shield
- Turn around ("dash pivot")

The only way to pull a F-smash out of it is to start another initial dash - in other words, foxtrot.

IMO using the slide as an approach isn't very safe. You're moving alot slower, you can't turn around, and shield comes out alot slower (side-B shield-cancel).

With foxtrot, you control the length of the foxtrot and have more opportunities to 'reverse' it with a "dashdance" pivot.

Wanna know a good defensive approach for Sonic?

...walk.
if you see an opening, you can switch to dash.
if your opponent does something that you don't want to shield, you can immediately walk or dash in the opposite direction
you can tilt out of it
and of course, you can immediately shield out of it.

The main disadvantages to walking are:
slower speed (and consequently, less slide from shielding, so it's harder to mess up your opponent's spacing)

..and that's about it.

You don't have to do a super slight-tilt walk, you can do a full-tilt walk and still have the same control.

Heck, walking away from an opponent is a bait that works on aggressive players all the time. You're moving at a speed that they can catch you with, so instead of feeling that there's no point in trying to chase you and play campy the whole time, they may actually approach you, then you can switch to dash/foxtrot and weave out of range and punish again.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
walk away fsmash is my trademark move. Learned to do it in melee with roy... but sonic ***** with it too.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
You can B> shield cancel into a shield, roll and dodge and also delay DAC from a grind like you can from a fox tot which I've seen goes pretty far.

Walking seems like a good idea though. It's always good to have more options or you'll be predictable.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I personally don't use the grind very much during matches. If anything, I'll try to throw it in like once as a different approach pace. Usually I follow it with a dash attack. If anything, I hope that by using it early a couple times, it makes my opponent more nervous of how fast Sonic can get around. If it wasn't for the fact that you could >B, shield cancel out of it I probably would never ever use it in a serious match.

StrongGaia

Smash Rookie
Grinding's kind of an inferior dash. It's slower, you've got less control and you've got less moves you can perform during it. Of course, if someone were to work out a way to make it more effective than, say, dashing, then it could be fairly useful. But right now I just kind of see it as a downside, something to be avoided not replicated.

Shining Blitz

Smash Apprentice
I see grinding as awesome, not only because of its versitility, or the fact that I love SOAPing, but because it's such a unique motion and speed shift. Maybe we should call it SOAPing instead of Grinding, cause Sonic was SOAPING in SA2. In other games, he grinds; in SA2, he actually wears SOAP Scorchers.

Shining Blitz

Smash Apprentice
SOAP shoes were the original sneakers with a Rollerblade-style grind bar/plate in each arch, allowing the wearer to grind rails in their sneakers. Sega and SOAP did a cross-promotion in SA2, and Sonic wore the flagship brand of SOAP at the time, Scorchers, which is why his shoes were so different in SA2. Look it up on Wikipedia. I have a few pairs, thanks to Sonic, but they aren't as good as the ones before Heelys bought them out.

infomon

Smash Scientist
OH my goodness.... WANT!!! Wow I'm so sad that I completely missed out on this phenomenon!!! It's so dumb and dangerous and fantastic!

I would buy some soap shoes in a heartbeat o_O
and mostly cuz of Sonic LOL

Shining Blitz

Smash Apprentice
Actually, there is one model of SOAPs that are pretty sweet that Heelys still makes, called the Express. google sssoapshop for the only place to get them, heh.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
I aways wondered what does soap adverts were for.

I still think this approach has potential since it's cancelible and changes the pace. Plus it can be offensive or defensive.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
>_< I thought it was Chis talking when it was Shining_Blitz... I should stop just looking at the avatars... Dx

iRjOn

Smash Lord
The best defencive approach is as Tenki stated walking Sonics grinding should just be used to mix it up alittle.

But the most effective defensive approach is to not approach at all.

Milln

Smash Champion
Thanks for the soap link. You've rekindled my interest in SOAP shoes, and probably seconding Sonic.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Thanks for the soap link. You've rekindled my interest in SOAP shoes, and probably seconding Sonic.
Yeah, maining sonic should help your Lucario game too... but be wary because our boards make you ********... like it did to me. T_T

Milln

Smash Champion
Yeah, maining sonic should help your Lucario game too... but be wary because our boards make you ********... like it did to me. T_T
You say that as if the Lucario boards aren't far too awesome. =3

Gimp's been butthurt lately cause he got beat by a Lucario main or something and has been closing all our cool threads.

I'm also a Sonic fan and have always been one. X3 Point me in the direction of the Sonic guide, imo.

Top Bottom