• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Green Glossary: The Proper Names of Luigi's Moves and ATs

WIGI

Smash Champion
i second the notion for renaming tuantspieks after me.

but seriosly, doing a taun at a crwldash just makes it prettyier, although, i ahve used it as mindgames. like. i stood on the ledge, walked away from the ledge, then they try to ledgedrop as i crawldash backwards whiel taunting and reversetaunt spiek them

its good mindgames on jumpthrough stages liek delfino and rc.

and jumpless rising cyclone should just be called "being smart and saving your double jump for when you really need it"

or BSASYDJFWYRNI for short.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I think BSASYDJFWYRN may just be a tad long, that's just me though. I think I like Non-Jump Rising Cyclone, but we can make it NRC. JERC is cool too.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
OK, JERC is teh good times. I'll add JERC right now.

Anyone have any better ideas than NJRC? I like it, but I'm still not too convinced. If enough people like NJRC, then it'll be enough to convince me. NRC is good too. Votes? New suggestions?
So far the name suggestions for the Jumpless Rising Cyclone AT are:
NJRC (Kitamerby)
NRC (kigbariom)
MesoCyclone (elheber)

Also, "WiGi Spike" sounds fine as an alternate name for the Tauntspike. Anyone else agree on this?

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Potential jumpless rising cyclone names. Feel free to suggest more.
1. NRC (kig) +1
2. NJRC (Kitamerby) +0
2. MesoCyclone (elheber) +0

Icyo

Smash Ace
1. NRC (kig) +1
2. NJRC (Kitamerby) +0
2. MesoCyclone (elheber) +1

MesoCyclone sounds amazing. :p

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
A minute ago, I was ready to post that I don't like Mesocyclone anymore. I didn't like how it was a mouthfull to speak aloud. But that was a minute ago... within that time frame I realized anyone could just shorten it to "Meso" is they wanted to be brief. "He was able to meso twice in a single recovery that time."

Mesocyclone is shorter than Nonjump Rising Cyclone in letters and sylables.
Meso is shorter than NRC/NJRC in sylables and need not be all-caps.

So now I like Mesocyclone way more. Thank you Icyo.
1. NRC (kig) +1
1. MesoCyclone (elheber) +1
2. NJRC (Kitamerby) +0

[EDIT] It's like "Meso" is the descriptor... the act of being jumpless and rising, while "Cyclone" is the subject. Meso+Cyclone... Mesocyclone. Even sexier! [/EDIT]

And WiGi, I'm still waiting for one more person to agree WiGi Spike should be added. I intended this guide as a serious one, so dropping names around seems too silly for this. But if one more person agrees its serious enough, I'll put it up.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
That's a shame, I brought my secret weapon. The ballot worth 1000 votes.

1. NRC (kig) +1001
2. NJRC (Kitamerby) +0
2. MesoCyclone (elheber) +1

EDIT: Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha!

EDIT2: I'm completely serious,
._.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
1. NRC (kig) +2
2. Mesocyclone (elheber) +1
3. NJRC (Kitamerby) +0

Kev! made an excellent point, so I updated it initial post.

I'm considering adding "AD Buffering" to the glossary. This way, I get more space to explain the AT and how it works. Mmmm, yeah.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
Ok, ive gotten to a point where if i want the spike i get it, facing my opponent front or back does not matter.

Chaos Physics engine shows that your hit box moves an continues to move...aww ****it i cant explain it.

K, u can aim an spike now 75% of the time due to the spike being ********.

U jump towards your opponent, than di away right before. This allows its hitbox to be away an up from your median.

why when your falling you get the spike when there inside and in your top chest area, near neck? Cuz the hitbox has moved from middle to top due to it dragging.

great way to understand the concept, CS Source

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Pol, are you saying that if you're moving forward toward the opponent and then DI away at the last second as you dAir the hitbox will still be moving forward? It doesn't make sense that the hitbox will keep moving forward, but I suppose if what you say is true, the "spike" hitbox will extend away from the normal hitbox making it easier to spike. Got any vids or better way to explain it? Without CS Source. That makes no sense.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I've played CS:S 30 hours this week alone and I don't understand what you are talking about.
I understand that the hitbox is moving, so is it like in CS:S when you drag the AWP or when someone is running, it makes the hitbox for a head shot bigger.

Moozle

Smash Champion
The vast majority of times that I get luigi's spike is from directly below, it's funny watching him suck the opponent down.

You said Jumpless rising cyclose (JRC) is too close to Jump enhanced rising cyclone (JERC) so you could just change JRC to No jump rising Cyclone (NJRC) so there's an N in there. Just a suggestion lol.

Atash

Smash Apprentice
Alright guys - beware. I'm about to take a really tiny issue and blow it up to massively empty proportions.

<blowing stuff out of proportions>

First, some sources:
Wikipedia: Mesocyclone
Wikpidia: Supercell

In advance: for all intents and purposes, whenever I refer to 'tornado', I'm referring to the weather phenomenom-nom-nom, not the 'slang' term for Luigi's cyclone.

A mesocyclone, for those of you who don't know, is what makes a supercell a supercell. A supercell is a large scale rotating thunderstorm that has a sizable ability to create tornadoes (as in, multiple tornadoes).

The thing about the jumping cyclone is that, in itself, it can only be done once per recovery. A jumpless rising cyclone, however, can be done multiple times. Thus, the advantage of multiplicity in performing the jumpless rising cyclone is made apparent (for those of us who have either a geosystems background or like to look random stuff up) by using the term 'mesocyclone'.

However, there's a tiny gap in its usage. The 'mesocyclone' is a generator for tornadoes, and not the actual tornado itself. Thus, I'm of the opinion that the made-up participle form of 'mesocyclone' ('mesocycloning') be used to refer to the technique, whilst reviewing matches in retrospect (as in for combo videos), of performing multiple rising cyclones whether they're jumped or jumpless in a single recovery. I say 'in retrospect' because one generally does not know that they are going to end up performing multiple rising cyclones unless it is planned that an item or projectile of some sorts enables such a recovery (in which case I'd say it was an 'intended mesocyclone recovery').

</blowing stuff out of proportions>

Anyway, I don't feel like voting one way or the other at the moment - I've had so little sleep that I'd probably mis-type something (but wait - I just wrote that whole post? How could I possibly screw up such a simple thing? The key word is 'simple' - anything complex [integrations of the form x^a*e^(-bx)dx from 0 to infinity, for instance] is easy, but oh boy, try to get me to do arithmetic [12 - 5 = 6, right?] this late at night, and we'll have problems...).

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
1. Mesocyclone (elheber) +2
2. NRC (kig) +1
2. NJRC (Kitamerby) +1

I read the whole thing Atash, and I ended up dazed in confusion. I think you're saying that a Mesocyclone should be the AT of doing multiple Rising Cyclones before landing. Do you have any suggestions for a name for a single JRC?

Atash

Smash Apprentice
2. NRC (kig) +1
2. NJRC (Kitamerby) +1

I read the whole thing Atash, and I ended up dazed in confusion. I think you're saying that a Mesocyclone should be the AT of doing multiple Rising Cyclones before landing. Do you have any suggestions for a name for a single JRC?
Yeahh.... Sorry for the lack of clarity... Anyway, you got it. As for an actual name... Nope >_<. I have zilch opinion, just wanted to put some random technicalities into the convo. So don't worry about it. :-P
<three seconds later/>
Well, actually... Why not just RC...? Sure we'll get confused when talking about Rainbow Cruise or performing rising cyclones on rainbow cruise, but at least the jump assisted rising cyclone will have more aesthetic appeal by being a direct extension, both in acronym (addition of a JE to the beginning) and in implementation (addition of a jump-enhancement at the beginning), of a rising cyclone.

Continuing my current line of thought suggests too then that RC is a bad choice of acronyms, because what we're doing isn't really a rising cyclone, but a rising luigi cyclone (we say LC apparently, and not just 'C'). Thus, maybe the rising cyclone should be rising luigi cyclone (RLC) and the jump-enhanced rising cyclone ought to be the jump-enhanced rising luigi cyclone (JERLC). In such a case though, we've broken the 4 character maximum apparent in the rest of the glossary, and thus ought to remove any extraneous letters. This, IMO, ought to result in the jump-enhanced rising luigi cyclone being shortened to the acronym 'JRLC'.

In summary, my total suggestion is:
LC ->
LC: Luigi Cyclone (basis for all following changes)​
JRC ->
RLC: Rising Luigi Cyclone​
JERC ->
JRLC: Jumped Rising Luigi Cyclone (it's a Luigi Cyclone performed with a jump at the beginning)​

Yes, I also realize that this removes the fun stuff one could say when performing a jump-enhanced rising cyclone recovery ("He just pulled a JERC off!" or some such like that).

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
2. NRC (kig) +1
2. NJRC (Kitamerby) +1
3. RLC (Atash) +0

"He just pulled a JERC off!" <-hilarious; both for JERC'ing off and for pulling it.

TreK

Is "that guy"
when i succesfully do a jumpless rising cyclone, i just yell "LIKE A BAWSS"
LAB babes :o

if my idea fails, i vote for NRC.

WIGI

Smash Champion
it should just be like BOSS. because hes really good at it.

i think BOSS stands for ball of sexy stuff

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
1. Mesocyclone (Meso) +2
2. NRC (No-jump Rising Cyclone) +1
2. NJRC (Non Jump Rising Cyclone) +1
2. LAB (Like a BAWS!) +1
3. RLC (Rising Luigi Cyclone) +0

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Don't forget the GFC (Gluten Free Cyclone) for all the gluten intolerant Luigi's out there. -_-
I don't mean to be a sourpuss but let's get a name for it already.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
I have no real authority to just name it. If it's a name that's widely used or an official name for something, it goes in the Glossary... not the other way around. I s'pose I'll start calling them Mesocyclones and cross my fingers that it catches on.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
After much stress in trying to come up with a name for WiGi's tauntspike video and that thread about aerial Shoryukens, I realized we don't have any way of calling that tauntspike where the opponent is popped up in the air instead of spiked downward. Seriously... instructing someone to do a "tauntspike to FJP" makes no sense. I was thinking of calling it "tauntlaunch" before writing this, but after the first paragraph, I'm leaning toward "tauntpop".

Tauntspike = Taunting an enemy in the air or ledge and spiking him down.
Tauntpop = Taunting an enemy on flat ground and popping him up.

Any feedback?

PS. I updated the initial post and added AD Buffer, Autocancel, and Jab1/2/3. I'm thinking about adding Dash Pivot, True Pivot, Jump Cancel, Reverse Aerial Rush, and B-Reverse. Probably soon.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Big update, I added the Reverse Hyphen Smash, Jump Cancel, Auto Jump Cancel, Reverse Aerial Rush, B-Reverse, and Tauntpop.

This thing is huge. Apart from other new items, next update will include the Dash Pivot and True Pivot.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and I changed the green color.

WIGI

Smash Champion
the taunt that hits them up is still a taunt spike. its spikes them into the ground then up, its no different then a regular spike proformed on the ground, if its powerfull enough, it will send you up.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
That may be true, but it still seems confusing to tell someone to "tauntspike" the opponent upward. I guess I'll wait for more feedback from others.

Should "Tauntpop" be nixed?

PS. This is my 991st post... just a few more to 1000.

WIGI

Smash Champion
i think if people arent smart enough to figure out that tauntspike or taunt-> any move means on the ground.

they should cease to live. its common sense, and we don't need a fancy name for every single friggen button combination in the game -.-

aside from WiGi SPiKE

cuz its necessary.

Top Bottom