• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Green Glossary: The Proper Names of Luigi's Moves and ATs

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
I have a pet peeve -well, I have many... but one of them pertains specifically to Luigi and Luigi mainers like you. I keep hearing people call Luigi's Cyclone the "Tornado". I'll try to keep my rants to a minimum while I explain the proper names to Luigi's moves and advanced techniques (skip the rest of this paragraph... it's only a rant and not funny a funny one at that), but the straw that broke the camel's back was hippydude's How to get better with Luigi guide. No disrespect to hippie for calling him out since it was, like I said, only a drop of water on an already topped glass of water. I spent a good while looking through other guides and contributions and nearly all of them have fault for this.

This not only an up-to-date glossary of proper terms and definitions of Luigi's moves, but also a discussion that will keep said glossary up-to-date. We can, then, discuss what names should be added, removed, or changed to fit Luigi's current metagame and trends. If you find something that should be added/removed/changed, discuss it.

GREEN GLOSSARY:
(alphabetical order)​

AD Buffer - An AT in which you airdodge and then input an action such as an attack just before landing. The airdodge will prevent you from performing the action in the air before landing and will instead buffer (see below) that input for when you land. The result is that the action you input will automatically be performed ASAP after the landlag animation ensuring you attack (or whatever you input) as quickly as possible. Due to the quickness of Luigi's attacks, his AD Buffering advantage is among the best of all characters.

Auto Cancel - Also correct as "Autocancel" as one word, is the act of the game automatically canceling any aerial animation or aerial landing lag animation upon landing, but only if you landed during certain windows of the animation. Each aerial attack that Luigi has can be autocanceled... notice that if you fAir too close to the ground he will be stuck with a horrible aerial landlag animation upon landing, but if you fAir so it's almost ending as you land (such as in the dAir fAir Double Aerial [see below]) Luigi will land as if he hadn't done an aerial. The timing of Luigi's aerials are so nice that 8 of his Double Aerials will autocancel. Read more about this in the Aerial String Analysis.

Auto Jump Cancel - Also correct as Auto-Jumpcancel, is the act of the game automatically Jump Canceling (see below) a shield (Out of Shield, below) or Dash Pivot Lag (see below) if you have tap-jump on and you input an attack or special by smashing the analog up. With tap-jump on, the game will read your up-smash or up-special as having started with a jump input, and therefore automatically jumpcanceling for you.

B-Reverse - An AT in which the player begins a B special and then immediately tilts the analog backward. The result is Luigi starting his B special animation and instantly turning around to perform the special attack backward. It can be done with all his specials except the Super Jump Punch; though, for various reasons, it's most useful with the Fireball.

Buffer - To input an attack or other action shortly before the character is able to perform it, resulting in the execution of that attack/move immediately once able to perform it. You do this without thinking, such as in the Jab Combo where you probably press A before the last jab even finished. If you input an action and your character is currently unable to perform it, the game will buffer it for a max of 10 frames (1/6th of a second).

Crawldash - A difficult AT generally considered minimally useful in which Luigi ducks and initiates a backward crawl during forward movement from a walk or landing. This results in Luigi quickly sliding backward a short distance while continuing to face forward.

Dash Pivot Lag - The huge lag that locks nearly all of Luigi's movement after a dash pivot. When pivoting from a full dash, Luigi will turn and slide backward a considerable distance (depending on which way you're tilting the analog after the pivot) and be completely unable to do almost anything until that momentum is gone. The only way to interrupt this lag is to Jump Cancel (below) or Auto Jump Cancel (above).

Cyclone - The proper shortened name of the Luigi Cyclone, Luigi's down-special. "Tornado" or "Nado" are incorrect terms for this.

Delayed Recovery - Purposely falling for a longer time during a recovery to throw off the timing of your opponent. If the opponent chases you off stage, it will force him to chase you further making it harder for him to recover.

Double Aerial - A string of two aerial attacks during a single shorthop. Due to Luigi's slow fall speed and the quickness of his aerials, Luigi is the only character able to do double aerials with any aerial in any order (with the exception of nAir to fAir). It was the staple of his early Brawl metagame. Read more about this in the Aerial String Analysis.

FastFall AirDodge (FFAD) - An AT in which the character performs an airdodge immediately after a fastfall after having reached the peak of his jump or shorthop. This results in Luigi landing faster with the added benefits of invinsibility frames extended Buffering time for grounded attacks/moves. The FFAD is not what is called 'Buffering' but can be used as a means of performing it.

Fingerbang - The AT in which Luigi walks forward and charges a forward-smash (forward or backward) without initiating a dash by charging the smash with the C-Stick and Z button. This results in Luigi sliding forward a considerable distance as he charges a forward-smash.

Fireball - The neutral B special move.

Fire Jump Punch (FJP) - The Super Jump Punch (below) up-special when it 'sweetspots' the opponent. Resulting in a flash of fire, massive damage and strong vertical knockback to the opponent, and a 'ping' sound when done on the ground.

Green Missile (GM) - Luigi's side-special which can be charged for extended range and power, and which will sometimes result in a Missfire (below). Releasing a Green Missile will temporarily cancel fall momentum and makes it slightly easier to gain height in a Jumpless Rising Cyclone (below).

Grounded Cyclone - the Luigi Cyclone down-special used on the ground without any tapping of the B button. Its properties are different in that the horizontal speed surpasses even Luigi's dashing speed.

Hyphen Smash (HS) - An up-smash done during a dash or initial frames of a dash. Luigi's Hyphen Smash slidles more than any other character due to his low traction. The name comes from the "-" character known as a "dash" or "hyphen".

Jab1, Jab2, and Jab3 - The names for each of the jabs in Luigi's 'AAA' jab combo. Jab 1 is the first jab with the highest hitstun and the best to do Jab Cancels with (see below), Jab 2 is the second jab, and Jab 3 is the last attack in the combo with the highest damage and knockback in which he's actually using his butt.

Jab Cancel - An AT in which Luigi cancels any following jab in the tripple jab combo by crouching. It results in Luigi making a jab followed by a quick crouch, allowing him to quickly follow up with any other grounded attack, other than the jab combo, including another initial jab.

Jab Grab - A jab followed by a grab (or shield grab) which has proven to be a reliable grabbing technique due to the stun and quickness of Luigi's jab.

Jump Cancel - Also correct as Jumpcancel, is the AT of canceling the shield (Out of Shield, below) or Dash Pivot Lag (above) by jumping. You can Jump Cancel into an up-smash or up-special which behaves the same way as an Auto Jump Cancel (above).

Jump Enhanced Rising Cyclone (JERC) - A Rising Cyclone (below) with the aid of a jump just beforehand. It's the easiest way to perform a Rising Cyclone since you do not have to tap B as fast.

Jumpless Rising Cyclone (JRC) - An AT for the Luigi Cyclone down-special in which the player performs a Rising Cyclone (below) without the aid of a jump. To gain the same height as one with the help of a jump, the B button must be tapped much more rapidly. The potential height gain of the JRC is the same as one with the aid of a Jump. All JRCs are RCs, but not all RCs are JRCs. To discuss: what name should this AT change to? JRC is much too similar to JERC.

Luigi Cyclone (LC) - The official name for Luigi's down-special. Mario and Metaknight do "Tornados" (Mario Tornado and Mach Tornado respectively) while Luigi does Cyclones.

Missfire - An explosive Green Missile with more damage and knockback, which occurs only by chance. Green Missiles have a 1 in 8 chance, wether charged or not, of resulting in a Missfire.

Out of Shield (OoS) - Performing a move or attack Out of Shield performing said move/attack without dropping the shield first. The result is the move or attack is performed immediately after the shield drops; an excellent way to connect FJPs. Only jumps, up-smashes, and up-specials can be performed Out of Shield and uses the effect of the Jump Cancel or Auto Jump Cancel (above). Due to Luigi's low traction, it's best to Perfect Shield (below) an OoS attack.

Perfect Shield - An AT in which you shield an attack with the initial frames of the shield. The result is that your character receives no shield stun and no pushback, allowing the player to drop the shield and immediately counterattack. Due to Luigi's low traction, being able to Perfect Shield will greatly expand his counter offensive capabilities as it will prevent him from sliding away.

Reverse Aerial Rush (RAR) - An AT in which Luigi dash pivots into a short hop back aerial (bAir). The result is Luigi shorthops backward at a fast speed as he attacks in that direction, thus allowing Luigi to quickly close-in and attack from a far range in a short amount of time with one of his most powerful aerials.

Reverse Hyphen Smash (RHS) - An AT in which Luigi performs a Hyphen Smash (above) facing backward. It's better than the regular Hyphen Smash because the back of Luigi's up-smash has a larger hitbox with more range, and the hitbox comes out sooner from behind. It's performed by pivoting during a full dash and immediately holding an up-smash. If you have tap-jump off, you'll need to jump as you up-smash to manually jumpcancel the dash pivot lag.

Rising Cyclone (RC) - A technique for the Luigi Cyclone down-special in which the player rapidly taps B during the Cyclone animation. This results in Luigi gaining substantial vertical height, dependant on the speed the button is pressed and Luigi's vertical momentum at the start of the Rising Cyclone. Jumping shortly before the Rising Cyclone will make it easier to reach maximum height. Inversely, fastfalling or falling at full speed will make it harder. Only one Cyclone in the air can be a Rising Cyclone unless the Cyclone animation is interrupted by an attack.

Shoryuken - A comedic slang term for the Fire Jump Punch (above). The name means "Rising Dragon Fist" and comes from the similar special move of Ryu/Ken in the Street Figher series.

Super Jump Punch (SJP) - The official name to Luigi's up-special. All FJPs are SJPs, but not all SJP are FJPs.

Tauntpop - Using Luigi's down-taunt to pop opponents straight upward. Luigi can slide into a Tauntpop by initiating it during a walk, and can lead to the perfect air Fire Jump Punch humiliation.

Tauntspike - Using Luigi's down-taunt to spike opponents. Luigi's down-taunt has the ability to meteor smash anyone it hits on a ledge or from below a platform. Luigi can slide into a Tauntspike by initiating it during a walk.

Tornado - The incorrect, yet widely accepted and used, name for the Luigi Cyclone. "Nado" is an abbreviated version.

Other Discussions
To discuss: should we have a new specific term for up-angled forward-smashes? It's an important and widely used technique but I don't know of any short ways of saying it.
To discuss: what else am I missing?

Updates:
18-May-2009: Initial incomplete post. Had to do stuff so I left it incomplete. Will finish soon.
18-May-2009: Added Double Aerial, Grounded Cyclone, Jab Cancel, and Jab Grab.
19-May-2009: Refined Missfire. Added Tornado against my own will. I hate you WiGi.
19-May-2009: Added OoS and PS as per kigbariom.
20-May-2009: Added Tauntspike as per WiGi.
09-June-2009: Oops... had "Jumpless Enhanced Rising Cyclone" by mistake. Fix'd.
09-June-2009: Fixed "Shoryuken" to mean only FJP as per Kev!
14-August-2009: Added AD Buffer and Autocancel. Added links to the Aerial String Analysis thread.
14-August-2009: Added Jab1, Jab2, and Jab3.
19-August-2009: Added Reverse Hyphen Smash, Jump Cancel, Auto Jump Cancel, Reverse Aerial Rush, B-Reverse, and Tauntpop.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
ROFLMAO! @ my name in 1st paragraph!!! usually id be hella mad, at this kinds of things, but since i drank so much red bull im in a good mood. but it's no worries, we all make mistakes, either way someone had to make a glossary for our board sooner or later due to the amount of mixups we're putting espically buffering and what not. So no worries Elh, lol but if you find it with in your means of ranting/flameing, take off my link or something in exchange of me changing tornado to cyclone to make it "official" and happy for u? k? kthnx. no harm feelings elh.

just sayin

You also need to note that you have to put dair, nair , upair as " up aerial attack " as many new players do not get the abbreviations for the names *Though they can look through search function, or tactical discussion, but to save them time to put it here would be quite helpful for them*

Also AD= airdodge.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
It's usually implied that you AD to buffer, since it's literally buffering a move into a another. If you just time it without the AD...I don't know if that's buffering so much as it is good timing. In the sense of the word, it's creating a list of commands for the game to execute as soon as possible.

I always liked the no-mo (no - momentum) cyclone for talking about aerial cyclones sans jump momentum, but that's just me xD. It isn't the most accurate term, because you can do a rising cyclone with downward momentum.

Atash

Smash Apprentice
JRC and RC really ought to be switched - the rising cyclone does not in its explicit text directly imply the use of a jump to achieve height, while the jumpless rising cyclone utilizes a post-fix on 'jump', thus making the text more confusing in its meaning (especially when put into an acronym)...

Suggested:
JRC = Jumping Rising Cyclone
RC = Rising Cyclone

EDIT:
@ Alias
I guess we can then understand 'rising' as meaning 'accelerating upwards' and then not have to worry about 'rising' actually meaning 'going up'. :-D

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
@hippy
I'll probably remove your linky anyway since that was more like a rant that won't belong here after it's understood what this is. Also, this glossary is Luigi specific... so things like "uAir", "dSmash", or "AD" won't be on here unless they're somehow Luigified moves or ATs. Even ATs that aren't special to Luigi will not be listed. The Hyphen Smash and Crawldash are listed since they're very special to Luigi's current metagame or trends (of all characters, Luigi has the best/longest Hyphen Smash, while Luigi has the second best Crawldash). In other words, people are able to learn what an AD is from other character boards or elsewhere, but they might only learn the wonders of the Fingerbang for Luigi here.

Anyway, we might not have a AD listed in the glossary, but if we flip the letters we might do DA (Double Aerial!!!) since it's so imprtant to Luigi's game. Yeah! That also reminds me of the SHoDANAUT (Shorthop dAir nAir uTilt)... so old school!

@ALiAs
The Buffering topic is another one of these controversial things (like the "Torpedo")... Personally, I'm against buffering being defined as an AD Landing Buffer. Buffering is buffering; everyone does it without knowing. When you Jab Cancel anything, you're buffering the crouch AND you're buffering whatever you do next. Brawl buffers moves within 10 frames. If you try to buffer a Jab doing a FF without the AD you'll do an nAir... all the AD does is makes you unable to nAir and thus buffer your A button press for 10 frames... and you land within those 10 frames. AD buffering really doesn't "extend" the 10 frames of buffering... it just prevents you from doing an aerial. Without the AD you can still buffer during the 4 frames of the fastfall landing lag.

To me, buffering is buffering. What you call buffering is something done after a FFAD. I'd love to make a spcific name for AD landing buffers, but since we don't have one I decided to use "Buffering" against my own sentiments.

Oh, and now you reminded me of the Jab Grab and Jab Cancel.

@Atash
I'll take that into account. Anyone else agree with Atash? I've been using JRC for Jumpless Rising Cyclones since I started watching videos of Boss, but I'm willing to make J-RC stand for Jumpless ones and JRC for Jump assisted Rising Cyclones. Hrm... I also kinda like JARC. Anyway, the Rising Cyclone is the rising cyclone with or without the jump. That one's not gonna change.

What should JRC stand for? Jumped Rising Cyclone or Jumpless Rising Cyclone? Should we have a J+RC and J-RC?

EDIT: I just noticed I wrote "Torpedo" instead of "Tornado". I don't know what that was about. I meant "Tornado".

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
You're spot on, Elh, I guess in my own mindset I'd only consider buffering Aerial AD > move. But Jab Cancels are considered buffers by the same definition. I'm not sure who came up with Buffering, I'm pretty sure it wasn't an AT, but rather an explanation of what we were doing at the time. I had pitched the idea as a Luigi L-Cancel, but was disproved.

I agree with Atash, I thought the 'J' meant 'Jump' not 'Jumpless'.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Dear Elheber,
Although your new thread exceeds expectations and is a great addition to this board, it is indeed lacking one vital definition. That would be OOS (Out of Shield).
I sincerely hope that your original testimony is amended and I wish you much luck.

Regards,
Kig

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
I was originally thinking not to add OoS since it isn't an AT special to Luigi; but now that you mention it, it's at least a little special to Luigi due to his low traction. His OoS game very often requires a PS (which is another AT I wasn't thinking on adding).

Anyone else agree I should add 'OoS' and 'PS'? If just one more person says yes, I'll add it/them.

As for the JRC, I hadn't thought it was confusing 'til it was mentioned. I for example hear 'jumpless'. What should the Jumped Rising Cyclone be called and what should the Jumpless Rising Cyclone be called? We can consider this one of those naming discussions like we had for the Fingerbang. I'm fond of JARC (Jump Assisted Rising Cyclone) or J+RC/J-RC, though the last two sound like they could be confusing too.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I was originally thinking not to add OoS since it isn't an AT special to Luigi; but now that you mention it, it's at least a little special to Luigi due to his low traction. His OoS game very often requires a PS (which is another AT I wasn't thinking on adding).

Anyone else agree I should add 'OoS' and 'PS'? If just one more person says yes, I'll add it/them.

As for the JRC, I hadn't thought it was confusing 'til it was mentioned. I for example hear 'jumpless'. What should the Jumped Rising Cyclone be called and what should the Jumpless Rising Cyclone be called? We can consider this one of those naming discussions like we had for the Fingerbang. I'm fond of JARC (Jump Assisted Rising Cyclone) or J+RC/J-RC, though the last two sound like they could be confusing too.
I just think it would be great reference to any new people, I mean, there was a time I didn't know what OOS was, and it's not fun not participating. IMO, you should add them.

WIGI

Smash Champion
missfire should say that missifres happen 12.5% of the time.

you made it sound like it WILL happen once in every 8 times. when in reality, you could go alot more than 8 without a missfire. so say it has a 12.5% probability of happening.

also you should say that tornado and nado are acceptable. because they are.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
I'll fix the Misfire definition right now.

also you should say that tornado and nado are acceptable. because they are.
I hate you. I'll say either 'widely used' or 'widely acceptable' because saying they're simple 'acceptable' would be technically wrong since not everyone (read 'I') accepts them.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
No. I didn't use 'accepted' in the definition for the Luigi Cyclone. I used the word 'official', which it is.
*walks toward the camera in slow motion while something explodes behind him*

WIGI

Smash Champion
tissues is the official name,

more people call it kleenex anyways.

i hear tornado used way more than cyclone

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Dear Elheber,
Although your new thread exceeds expectations and is a great addition to this board, it is indeed lacking one vital definition. That would be OOS (Out of Shield).
I sincerely hope that your original testimony is amended and I wish you much luck.

Regards,
Kig
I highly agree with this. Most new comers (When i mean newcomers, the ones that are ACTUALLY new to the whole competitive scene, so they don't have a grasp on the terms around here) will most likely come to the board first. I don't even recall me looking at the tactical discussion or search forum simply because it's lazy for some and other's it's meh =/.

All in all, it's just better for new comers, but for those who just want to learn luigi's meta-game and already know competitive scene's terms then they already know what Nair is and what not.

If your really lazy and don't have time for it, I'll do the Dair and other parts of the section. it's up to you

lol wtf elhe
inorite he's cutting arse on me too lawlz jk xD

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
DISCUSS:
  • Should I add fAir/nAir/dAir/uAir/bAir aerials? I don't want the glossary to get unnecessarily crowded, but hippie wants it in. If I add the aerial abbreviations, what kind of capitalization should I use... NAir or Nair?
  • I'd like a new specific name for airdodge landing buffers. AD Buffering sounds good to me. This way you could also say FFAD Buffering if you need to. I'm also not against some funky name either.
  • JRC: should it stand for Jumping Rising Cyclone or Jumpless Rising Cyclone? Or should there be a new name altogether?
  • J+RC and J-RC: are they confusing or can they be used as accronyms for jumped and jumpless rising cyclones?
  • Shoryuken: does it mean only FJP or any SJP?
  • Up-angled Forward Smashes: we need a shorter name for them. Invent! I remember throat pokes or neck jabs. Eye gouges sound nice too. Example: Nice upward fingerbang, WiGi! Meh... i dunno.
  • SHoDANAUT: should we add it? I still do it, but ever since the FFAD, it's become less and less part of his metagame. Still a great combo. So, should we add it?

Atash

Smash Apprentice
tissues is the official name,

more people call it kleenex anyways.

i hear tornado used way more than cyclone
^ Logical fallacy.

But, yes - please do add 'tornado' as a socially acceptable (the social norm [of which I'm sorry to say you are not a part of (but I do agree with you [and these stacked parentheses are fun (and annoying :-P [Wheeeeee!!!])])] has it 'accepted'), Elh.

SHoDaNaUt...? Short-Hope Down-air Neutral-air Up-tilt? I mean... it works very well at the novice levels... I can still pull it off on a few intermediate players (some of the time). I say, stick it in there!

As for the up-angled F-smash, I've always used lowercase letter prefixes when denoting angles (upon properly introducing the notation of course :-P), e.g. dF-smash, dF-tilt, uF-tilt, uF-smash. However, I don't think that will become widely used notation, considering that there have frequently been people who have used the caret, left+right angled brackets, and the letter 'v' to denote the directions various attacks can be partially aimed, e.g.: vF-smash, ^F-smash, <Arrow, >Arrow, etc.

The shoryuuken in the original fighting game started as a ground attack if I'm not mistaken. The attack must be a fire jump punch with a 'ping!'

J+RC and J-RC are accidents waiting to happen. It takes too much effort to reach for the shift keys to insert symbols, and the general populace is bound to screw those up. I believe it's better to use prefix modifiers instead. Considering that the vanilla version of the tornado (the one that uses the least amount of effort) is the 'jumpless' cyclone, a rising cyclone abbreviated RC should be associated with the vanilla 'jumpless' version.

The 'buffering' topic will garner interesting preliminary name results, I'm sure of it. :-P

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Yes it is. That's why this glossary was made. I felt it was kind'a ridiculous that Luigi's own mains don't know the name of his down special.
Then shouldn't you go on the general brawl discussion and post something similar about how 'teching' is officially named 'ukemi'?

EDIT(So that I contribute to the discussion):

Is crawldashing really that useful/necessary? The most accomplished Luigi player is boss isn't it? I don't think I've seen him use it in any videos. Personally, I've tried incorporating it into my game but it seems more of a neat trick than a useful AT. Though, I regularly play Marth's, Falco's and a Lucario and spacing in my favor is not always easy.

Also, concerning the cyc, you should mention how it is useful to gimp with.

Atash

Smash Apprentice
Then shouldn't you go on the general brawl discussion and post something similar about how 'teching' is officially named 'ukemi'?
If you want to go off on a hyperbole of language translation, consider this alternative to 'ukemi':

0x75 0x6B 0x65 0x6D 0x69

Which is the human readable form of the individual ASCII bytes consisting of the word 'ukemi'. Of course, that is how the technique was originally conveyed across the internet between Japanese and English, yes? Or perhaps you want the Japanese characters?

受け身

I mean - really, I could go all day with this. Sure, I'd have to go into unicode just to get the multi-byte hexadecimal numbers out, but seriously - comparing two words with different semantics is entirely different from comparing two words with equivalent meanings via a translation unit.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Never heard of 'ukemi'. I've always heard of it as 'teching' even here. EDIT: In other words, I just learned something new. [/edit] Also, I'm a Luigi mainer talking to Luigi mainers... I don't think I could make a glossary so broad that it incorporates everything in Brawl. Too much work. And I don't care about those people; only about my buds here at the Luigi boards.

Atash, I think you're right about J+RC and J-RC. But I consider the jump assisted rising cyclone as the one with less effort. I mean... it's the first one we learn. Shoot, I never even tried to use jumpless rising cyclones in gameplay until Boss. The jumpless rising cyclone is the one we consider the real AT. That's why I think JRC should be jumpless rising cyclone, while any other is our "normal" jump assisted rising cyclone.

Atash

Smash Apprentice
Then how about nJRC, for no-jump rising cyclone...? At least then we don't have a negative invisibly lying inside of the acronym.

WIGI

Smash Champion

Is crawldashing really that useful/necessary? The most accomplished Luigi player is boss isn't it? I don't think I've seen him use it in any videos. Personally, I've tried incorporating it into my game but it seems more of a neat trick than a useful AT. Though, I regularly play Marth's, Falco's and a Lucario and spacing in my favor is not always easy.

i use crawldashing to tauntspike people. and to get the crowds going when i liek moonwalk taunt.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
If you want to go off on a hyperbole of language translation, consider this alternative to 'ukemi':

0x75 0x6B 0x65 0x6D 0x69

Which is the human readable form of the individual ASCII bytes consisting of the word 'ukemi'. Of course, that is how the technique was originally conveyed across the internet between Japanese and English, yes? Or perhaps you want the Japanese characters?

受け身

I mean - really, I could go all day with this. Sure, I'd have to go into unicode just to get the multi-byte hexadecimal numbers out, but seriously - comparing two words with different semantics is entirely different from comparing two words with equivalent meanings via a translation unit.
I don't want to go off on a hyperbole of language translation. I was just sticking to the name given to the techniques by (presumably)Sakurai, like elheber was.
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/howto/technique/technique10.html

Never heard of 'ukemi'. I've always heard of it as 'teching' even here. EDIT: In other words, I just learned something new. [/edit] Also, I'm a Luigi mainer talking to Luigi mainers... I don't think I could make a glossary so broad that it incorporates everything in Brawl. Too much work. And I don't care about those people; only about my buds here at the Luigi boards.
I realize this and sorry for patronizing you, but I thought it was odd that you were getting frustrated at the misnomer of one attack and not others(toadstool/footstool, w/e). I'm sorry if I am coming off as offensive, but I don't think the label of an attack has any bearing on the actual attack itself or gameplay uses of the attack.

i use crawldashing to tauntspike people. and to get the crowds going when i liek moonwalk taunt.
How do you use crawldashing to tauntspike?

On that note, Tauntspiking should be added to the glossary imo.

WIGI

Smash Champion
simple. i crawlddash...and while sliding i taunt..then hit them whit it while sliding.

you don't know me very well do you.

Atash

Smash Apprentice
I don't want to go off on a hyperbole of language translation. I was just sticking to the name given to the techniques by (presumably)Sakurai, like elheber was.
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/howto/technique/technique10.html
Well, then I guess there was a miscommunication error... The literal translation of 'ukemi' is the "receiving body" of an attack. They denote 'roll techniques' in certain martial arts. Hence, 'teching' is really not much more than a translation meant to retain content of the word.

The difference between a 'cyclone' and a 'tornado' is that a 'cyclone' can appear most anywhere as any circular motion of a fluid, while a 'tornado' is meant to be an aerial cyclone that touches down. In this case, any and all of brawl's attacks should be called 'cyclones' - but that's going by the 'definition'.

In your case, you brought up Sakurai. I'm not here to argue with you specifically about your source of definition. I'm here to argue that your reasoning lies on the EXACT same lines as the ridiculousness I pulled above, and thus suffers from reductio ad absurdum.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
simple. i crawlddash...and while sliding i taunt..then hit them whit it while sliding.

you don't know me very well do you.
Not personally, but I have seen your vidoes and am a huge fan of your Luigi. I just haven't seen you crawldash>tauntspike in any of them.

Well, then I guess there was a miscommunication error... The literal translation of 'ukemi' is the "receiving body" of an attack. They denote 'roll techniques' in certain martial arts. Hence, 'teching' is really not much more than a translation meant to retain content of the word.

The difference between a 'cyclone' and a 'tornado' is that a 'cyclone' can appear most anywhere as any circular motion of a fluid, while a 'tornado' is meant to be an aerial cyclone that touches down. In this case, any and all of brawl's attacks should be called 'cyclones' - but that's going by the 'definition'.

In your case, you brought up Sakurai. I'm not here to argue with you specifically about your source of definition. I'm here to argue that your reasoning lies on the EXACT same lines as the ridiculousness I pulled above, and thus suffers from reductio ad absurdum.
I am aware of what an ukemi literally is.

I posted my source of definition, which would be the brawl dojo under the quick techniques section. It also lists glacing blows, pivot grabs and some other stuff. You can try to argue that my reasoning is ridiculous, but you'd be wrong. I am not reducing the definition to the very linguistics of the words, I am keeping the definitions within the context of the game. Perhaps you misunderstood me.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Ukemi was an old Dojo update, although people hardly refer to that name. The things I remember about ukemi from Melee were simple things like teching. Just simple shielding at walls to break momentum.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Everyone forget about the ukemi. This is a glossary for Luigi moves and ATs, and we're not going to define everything in Brawl. Only things that are special to Luigi. For example: everyone can do a Hyphen Smash, out of all characters, Luigi has one of the best (if not the best) Hyphen Smashes. Teching/Ukemis and Footstools aren't within the scope of this glossary.

I understand, CvO, that a rose by any other name smells just as sweet. It's just a pet peeve of mine, and it's been building up ever since I joined SWF. It won't change his metagame, but I think that at least Luigi mainers should know the proper names for his moves.

Oh, and WiGi, thanks for reminding me of the Tauntspike.

WIGI

Smash Champion
Not personally, but I have seen your vidoes and am a huge fan of your Luigi. I just haven't seen you crawldash>tauntspike in any of them.
yeah, i didn;t do it until the last tourney i went to, did it 2 times, and regular taunt spiekd liek 6 times, and taun spike to shroyukened once in pools.

no vids of it were recorded tho xD

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
I understand, CvO, that a rose by any other name smells just as sweet. It's just a pet peeve of mine, and it's been building up ever since I joined SWF. It won't change his metagame, but I think that at least Luigi mainers should know the proper names for his moves.
tbh I kinda regret saying anything concerning the name thing since it kinda distracted the thread for a bit.

For the description of crawldashing, I think it would probably be helpful there was a description of the actual movement your thumb does. The way I think of it is like a reverse hadouken movement and I let the analog go back to the neutral position when I reach the bottom.

yeah, i didn;t do it until the last tourney i went to, did it 2 times, and regular taunt spiekd liek 6 times, and taun spike to shroyukened once in pools.

no vids of it were recorded tho xD
That's a shame. I really enjoy watching your flashy spikes and seeing one out of a crawldash would have been awesome.

Anyhow, is there any specific advantage to using the taunt spike out of a crawldash as opposed to just walking(apart from looking cool)?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero

Just because Boss is the most "accomplished" (people do forget we have BigLou here as well), doesn;t mean he has to use crawldashing. Boss probably doesn't even know what crawldashing is either. Just like when he didn't know that up angled Fsmash kills around 80s. Crawldash does make a difference in luigi's game. You need to watch Luigiking's or Vist's vids. It's just not WIDELY known that crawldashing is in our game which is why many of the other char boards don't even put it out.

As for the abbreivations and what not, it really doesn't matter if it's " N-Air". In general, it's always been "N-air". You could even look up at Scotu's glossary thread in tactical discussion.

Lol the word buffering and AD is used so confusing. Same with the jumpless rising cyclone and what not.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
I'm still under the impression that the crawldash is much less useful than the fingerbang. The fingerbang is something I'd like to master, while the crawldash is something I'd be fine with if I never even tried.

I need to figure out another way to say Jumpless Rising Cyclone, because the accronym for the current term for it is the same as Jumped Rising Cyclone. Non-Jump Rising Cylone? Falling Rising Cyclone (oxymoron... yay)? Crash Cyclone? Bouncing Cyclone (since you go from falling to rising)? Whirlwind? Twister? Typhoon? Mezocyclone (scientific term)? Supercell (another scientific term)?

The Jumpless Rising Cyclone is an important AT... it needs a name.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I'm still under the impression that the crawldash is much less useful than the fingerbang. The fingerbang is something I'd like to master, while the crawldash is something I'd be fine with if I never even tried.
I agree, partly because I never got into the whole crawl dashing thing, but also there are plenty of things better than crawl dashing. Now that I remember I really got into the pivot walking AT, you may have been lurking around when we discussed it. Like when you hold a, walk, and tilt up and back on the c-stick... That was cool...

Fingerbang has quite the erotic name.
You're right

Fire Jump Punch?

Is confused.
Nice drawing...!

EDIT: If you actually didn't know what FJP is it's his Shoryuken/UpB/Uppercut/Super Jump Punch

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
How about DJRC for the double jump rising cyclone, and keep the NJRC, the no jump-rising cyclone? Seems fine to me.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
I like NJRC for jumpless. But I'm kinda' liking Jump Enhanced Rising Cyclone (JERC) for the jumped version more than DJRC (since it can be done with the first jump too).

Top Bottom