• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
adcs do not have worst kiting than velkoz

lol

velkoz is not a bad champion im just trying to explain to you why he is not played, he just isnt the best at his job
Only the ADCs that have CC plus a dash have better kiting though (eg. Vayne or Trist).
Also the tank has to be pretty fed or it has to be 6 item lategame otherwise Vel can just burst them.

Who would you say does his job better? To me he's just an aggressive version of Ziggs. Does more damage, is a kill threat in lane, has better 1v1/pick but is a bit less safe,

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
If you want someone with high aoe AP burst with half of it being true damage and an aggressive style you better play Cho Gath. At least you have two of the most obnoxious CC in the game and FREE waveclear.

Now for something completely different : just had my first game of Katarina ever yesterday, it fun to think I had never played her since I started in 2010. How is that champion even allowed to exist ? I mean Rito always argue about a champ being either gated by mana or energy or even cooldowns, so how do you justify the existence of a manaless champ with a reset mechanism ? I mean I knew she was strong by design before playing her, but now I realize she's not even held back by a skill floor.

rito pls.

Player-3

Smash Hero
Only the ADCs that have CC plus a dash have better kiting though (eg. Vayne or Trist).
Also the tank has to be pretty fed or it has to be 6 item lategame otherwise Vel can just burst them.

Who would you say does his job better? To me he's just an aggressive version of Ziggs. Does more damage, is a kill threat in lane, has better 1v1/pick but is a bit less safe,
velkoz has 325 movespeed

he doesnt build movespeed items

xerath does his job better while being safer about it, velkoz DOES do more damage than them all but o he's not safe at all while doing it, so having him as a main source of damage is super risky and unnecessary

anivia is a bird

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
velkoz has 325 movespeed

he doesnt build movespeed items

xerath does his job better while being safer about it, velkoz DOES do more damage than them all but o he's not safe at all while doing it, so having him as a main source of damage is super risky and unnecessary

anivia is a bird
He has 340

But you don't pick Vel to just do AoE. His main niche is that he's an AoE damage dealer, but unlike the other AoE damage dealers he's also a threat 1v1 and can pick people off. The tradeoff is that he's less safe (although I'd argue he's safer than Anivia). They're slightly different roles.

Last edited:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Now for something completely different : just had my first game of Katarina ever yesterday, it fun to think I had never played her since I started in 2010. How is that champion even allowed to exist ? I mean Rito always argue about a champ being either gated by mana or energy or even cooldowns, so how do you justify the existence of a manaless champ with a reset mechanism ? I mean I knew she was strong by design before playing her, but now I realize she's not even held back by a skill floor. rito pls.
Had a weird game where I was last pick mid into first pick Katarina and went with Lulu. Poor Katarina.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
(although I'd argue he's safer than Anivia)
They both have no escapes
Neither is safe and by level 6 they're both tossing their abilities out and clearing waves like a monster.
Well mostly anivia.

I kinda miss playing league now...
Only cause Sex King is calling for me.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
The difference between Anivia and Vel'Koz is that Anivia can also build super tanky and her bases/passive allows her to do tons of damage while also making it take FOREVER to kill her since she'll have 2 3.5k HP bars, plus her ult stays out even if you cc her, so you cant focus her down to stop her damage (and TP Eggnivia is life), whereas Vel you save some hard cc for his ult, and even if he builds tanky, you can stop his damage AND he dies easier. And even then nobody but Froggen plays Anivia either so yeah.

Tbh though, now I kinda want to try RoA > full tank Vel just to see if it has any niche strengths lol.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Who is better out of Ziggs and Xerath?

The difference between Anivia and Vel'Koz is that Anivia can also build super tanky and her bases/passive allows her to do tons of damage while also making it take FOREVER to kill her since she'll have 2 3.5k HP bars, plus her ult stays out even if you cc her, so you cant focus her down to stop her damage (and TP Eggnivia is life), whereas Vel you save some hard cc for his ult, and even if he builds tanky, you can stop his damage AND he dies easier. And even then nobody but Froggen plays Anivia either so yeah.

Tbh though, now I kinda want to try RoA > full tank Vel just to see if it has any niche strengths lol.
I normally build banshees as my last item to try block a CC. But even that it's pretty hard to CC a Vel who pokes from the backline and then only goes for a combo once all the dashes and ranged CC is blown. I have max CDR on Vel so you can normally do 2 or so spell rotations before commitng to your ult combo.

Player-3

Smash Hero
He has 340

But you don't pick Vel to just do AoE. His main niche is that he's an AoE damage dealer, but unlike the other AoE damage dealers he's also a threat 1v1 and can pick people off. The tradeoff is that he's less safe (although I'd argue he's safer than Anivia). They're slightly different roles.
idk if you have ever seen a xerath oneshot a single person before but he does that

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Well yeah of course Vel isnt completely vulnerable if you play him right, its just in general he's riskier, easier to shut down, etc. He works, just others work better, thats his only problem.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Well I just have to talk about Kata once for her to be reworked. And they give her a Yasuo cd on her dash in exchange of less burst damage.

And Dre like you said with Vel Koz you rely on you team to peel for you and waste the enemy's CC and dashes. If they do then good for you but what happens when they don't ? Then you can't utiloize your full moveset because it is too risky and spoiler : you can't expect yourteam to be good in every soloQ game.
Meanwhile characters like Ziggs can launch their whole skill rotation from the fog of war and don't depend on anyone to be safe.

Edit : http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/2t0e77/response_to_tentative_katarina_changes/

The salt is real

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
What about running support Vel'koz? I occasionally play that for fun and it works most of the time.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
@ Dre89 Dre89

Just to summarize why you like Vel'koz: High team fight potential with his dps ult, can win 1 v. 1 against most champions, has higher kite potential than an adc, can run two spell rotations & ultimate with max cdr, and you can pick people off easily. Doesn't have to worry about cc because your team will take it and you build banshee's veil as his sixth item if the enemy team has cc.
/// ///
Can someone verify if jungle camps in 5.2 were patched to give more exp and gold?

Tried to fact check, but was unable to get any hits.

Also does Azir really have the best 1 v. 5 potential in mid-late game? It seems like he always gets hype when being discussed in LCS.

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Why is everyone playing Nasus all of a sudden? I mean, as a Darius player, Im not complaining, I enjoy the free LP, but just curious.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Just wanna know if anyone here has tried Zed top and what they think of it. He can farm safely, bullies melees, has an escape, and the longer lane makes it easier to ult people. He also itemises for armour pen and % health damage anyway. Plus he's a splitpusher anyway.

I'd prefer to play him mid but I think it might be alright if mid gets taken

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
the issue is that assassins in top cant snowball as easily by roams, drag fights, jung invades, etc. on top of that top lane bruisers can just build armor and then youre pretty sad (even with pen), as opposed to most midlaners. finally, top is a role in which you can put certain characters (maokai, rumble) and for a lot of teamcomps its a waste to put anything else there (ap mage tops are exceptions more often because theyre just broken atm like lissa or youre looking for a kite/adc comp like lulu)

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Just wanna know if anyone here has tried Zed top and what they think of it. He can farm safely, bullies melees, has an escape, and the longer lane makes it easier to ult people. He also itemises for armour pen and % health damage anyway. Plus he's a splitpusher anyway. I'd prefer to play him mid but I think it might be alright if mid gets taken
You arguably have one of the best tops for Solo Q already familiarized, which is Rumble. If you grab a Jarvan IV jungler who is rarely banned, then you have one of the strongest 2-man combinations in the game for team fights and protecting objectives.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Realistically, prolly a month they been in the PBE.

If I ever get my laptop fixed Imma try to be a Shaco only main. EVEN TOP LANE.
You'd be suprised who he ****s on top actually

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
He can beat most melee top laners outside of sustain crazy ones like Maokai Munda and maybe Irelia, but 99% of Irelia's MUs is skill based anyways.
Before dropping to D3 and so on when Master tier was added, the few random times I did shaco top I actually beat Fiora multiple times when she was popular, Ribbits Irelia Rumble and I think Lissandra once.
His burst levels 2-4 is scary as hell. Level 6 just doubles that by making it 2v1 and if the top laner stuns the wrong shaco you usually win instantly.

I do not think he can beat Gnar though since he can just hop away and kite all day if he sees Shaco decieve. **** this little guy.
Lulu might be a problem too cause of shield and being able to reveal him.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Just wondering if there's a general rule of thumb with tanking that you get one tank item per threat. What I mean is, if they have three AD and one AP, if it's best to get 3 armour items and one AP, or if you should still get 2 each. I know it depends on the game (eg. the one AP champ is 10-0 at 20 minutes), but I'm just looking for a general rule.

_Snover_

Frost Tree Pokémon
Just wondering if there's a general rule of thumb with tanking that you get one tank item per threat. What I mean is, if they have three AD and one AP, if it's best to get 3 armour items and one AP, or if you should still get 2 each. I know it depends on the game (eg. the one AP champ is 10-0 at 20 minutes), but I'm just looking for a general rule.
For me, if/when I die, I look at how much damage I took of a certain kind. If I took more, for example, physical damage then I buy some armor.
It's a good idea to finish your items off instead of buying a bunch of ingredients though.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
As Master Yi, I usually build Infinity Edge for defense.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
@ Dre89 Dre89 you also want to look at in-fight situations who focuses you and stuff. Of course if you're the only front line you're gonna need both armor and mr, but if the only magic damage source is an assassin that dives the back line then you can afford to build less MR.

http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.co...-experimental-attack-move-change-going-to-pbe

That's a welcome change for me, I'm tired of my character doing a 180 during a trade to attack a minion just because I clicked 3mm away from my target. I agree it makes the game easier, but seriously having your character attack behind you (or worse, walk backwards to attack behind) when you clicked forward is a terrible punition for a small mistake.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
One MR item is often enough, two against double AP teams can help. The thing is that health already counters most AP characters except for like... Azir and Kayle, who deal consistent damage. So with a Banshees and the health from Sunfire and Randuins you're usually set for handling APs, give or take merc treads.

Last edited:
Top Bottom