• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
at the very least I think most champs with no mana costs are poor design. Riven's gated by cooldowns yet has some super ****ing short cooldowns. welp

john!

Smash Hero
manaless champions are terrible design. been saying this since day one (literally- i joined around when vlad was released).

but they sell the most, because managing/running out of mana isn't very fun, or maybe because they are almost without exception overpowered once people figure out how to play them correctly, or maybe a little of both.

either greed or extreme incompetence on riot's part.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
In exchange, they don't benefit from items that are costed with mana or Mana regen on them.

And when made correctly, they have a price to what they do in their kits or elsewhere. Aatrox and Zac are great example of health cost champions that are designed well.

Riven and Vlad kinda dropped the ball on that one.

Though ones like Garen are fine since it fits for his strength as a lane bully with a strong early game, he's not busted unless they turn his W into a total Armor and MR again. Kat probably suffers more from the lack of mana items since she is a mage.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
There's nothing wrong with Riven's core design, the thing is she's a super snowbally champ so when things shift to advantage her it's pretty noticeable when she's played. The other reason it's so noticable is she's a champ with a lot of outplay potential, which makes her popular, same as lee sin. Combine the two, and everyone will instantly know when she's too strong.

As far as energy.... every time a normal champion is op, people are like "omg, this champ is op!", every time a manaless champion is op people are like "omg, manaless is op". Manaless is a bit more difficult to balance but there's nothing inherently op about being gated by cooldowns or a different resource.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
I started out as a top laner and immediately hated riven

Part of the reason I moved away from top lane was cause I got tired of leaning against riven, jayce, and kennen (back when the latter 2 were used a lot top)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
As far as energy.... every time a normal champion is op, people are like "omg, this champ is op!", every time a manaless champion is op people are like "omg, manaless is op". Manaless is a bit more difficult to balance but there's nothing inherently op about being gated by cooldowns or a different resource.
omg true damage is so op

meanwhile, olaf with 40% win rate

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
People are forgetting the original manaless cancer, Katarina.
She's still kinda dumb and does ridiculous amounts of damage to mid laners or just in general with absolutely no items.

Guess for a time when warmog's was changed months back, garen was cancer too in the top lane.

john!

Smash Hero
The other reason it's so noticable is she's a champ with a lot of outplay potential, which makes her popular, same as lee sin.
abusing manaless, low cooldown mobility is not "outplaying" someone. it's simply abusing your character's bull****.

i know 90% of league players will lose their **** when akali shrouds and ults to an enemy creep to escape a gank, but it's not impressive at all.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I dunno about Voyboy, but Olaf was neither picked nor banned throughout S3 Worlds, which was held just before the rework which created this "really ****ing strong" champion

Player-3

Smash Hero
the pre-buff olaf wasnt bad and voyboy even said he was considering pulling him out in competitive if the situation came up, then they buffed his w and the slow on axe so yeah

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
gais this is not hard to understand. He's talking about pre-rework post nerfs garbage tier olaf.

EDIT: and voyboy said that about post rework initial olaf b4 buff to w. NOT about pre rework post nerf olaf.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
When I hear low win rate Olaf, it's hard to really figure out which one people are talking about since his winrate has always been low due to his skill cap.

It's the same with Leblanc, her win rate is crap but while her overall power does sort of factor into that. Her skill cap is defiantly a part of why her win rate is low.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
People are forgetting the original manaless cancer, Katarina.
She's still kinda dumb and does ridiculous amounts of damage to mid laners or just in general with absolutely no items.

Guess for a time when warmog's was changed months back, garen was cancer too in the top lane.
Scaling well with levels is something casters sorta do, Katarina however gets ripped to shreds by pretty much everyone in lane.

abusing manaless, low cooldown mobility is not "outplaying" someone. it's simply abusing your character's bull****.

i know 90% of league players will lose their **** when akali shrouds and ults to an enemy creep to escape a gank, but it's not impressive at all.
Mobility only opens up options, some uses are impressive, others aren't but to say that it doesn't create a mixup game where a proper read will be lane changing or game changing when it wouldn't otherwise be there.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
When I hear low win rate Olaf, it's hard to really figure out which one people are talking about since his winrate has always been low due to his skill cap.

It's the same with Leblanc, her win rate is crap but while her overall power does sort of factor into that. Her skill cap is defiantly a part of why her win rate is low.
When you put someone like Hotshot on leblanc you might as well surrender at 20.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Might as well get them if you have nothing else to spend them on.
Just read up on Patch 3.14. Can't wait for all of this stuff to get implemented. I wanna mess around with things already. :applejack:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I haven't had a chance to jungle. Everyone wants a piece of it, and for the first time ever, people are fighting and dodging because they don't get support.

HP Bars are ugly as sin, trinkets are kinda cool, and I'm kinda liking the new masteries. Poppy's sustain in top lane got so much better it's insane. Can't wait to try out Wukong. Still getting used to the new bushes too. I keep screwing up my ward placements because top river bush is moved down a little, and I'm too used to warding spots in jungle bushes that don't exist anymore.

:applejack:

Player-3

Smash Hero
hp bars suck honestly expecting them to be reverted

trinkets are lame

jungle is lame

supports get massive and just steamroll games

Coney

Smash Master
1) corki's new bomb is ****in funny

2) isn't this patch wholly catering to lower elos? that's prob why it seems lame to everyone "good" at the game, they were already buying wards / carrying from support, this patch just makes those things easier to do so the "bad" people get good and the "good" people go CRAZY

3) dphat sucks i hope this new patch helps him not suck

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Riot panders to a lot of reddit and it just so happens the loudest ones tend to be bronze-low gold.

Played 4 games earlier, one mid and 3 bot. Nothing particularly feels different about mid cause they already been nerfing all the champions for it so far while the items feel the same, ad I tinkered with by going long sword 2 health pot and one mana pot first over dblade, but think D blade might be better if I have to go up against strong pokers in lane like Lucian or Ezreal.

Support game felt incredibly odd, forgot nobody is gonna go 2 pot 4 wards and 1 pink anymore or 3 ward 2 pinks, didn't know kage's lucky pick was torn into three parts, one you can buy for under 400 gold, then ancient coin runic shield or something etc. since I saw Soraka start the spellthief one of whatever.

Don't even know what trinket is good on the kinda supports I play like Fiddle or Zyra anymore. Support is gonna be confusing to mess with, masteries were easy to set up. But Support items sorta, jungle shaco fer me and what is best start/trinket on AD's is gonna take maybe a few days to understand what's best to use.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I'm sure I would've figured out that, but mostly mean starting items since nerf to D blade and then the jungle changes being guttted and almost mandatory to build one of the ****ty "gold income" items to get gold. Which good shaco's didn't build the spirit items anyways cause they were horrible on him for obvious reasons.

Also while it can get rid of wards, since supports can only put 3 now they might not even bother warding their or even enemy jungle anymore cause they need to be careful with em now instead of doing what top players do and having 5/6 wards at start and lighting the map green.
So depending on the jungler, they might go red trinket to disable laners wards or blue orb to check a buff before they go blindly walking into an ambush from the enemy jungler or even jungler + 1 or 2 teammates.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
I love playing support soraka.

I'm barely level 20, not even in ranked queue's yet... so people I play against still think that Soraka does no damage.

After about 5 minutes and repeated E's and AA's to the face they learn to fear the banana's. :laugh:

Top Bottom